17014986215_d247a37b82_z[1].jpg
HAAG_BOS2014.jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mcafee vs hackaday.jpg
13948731680_cfee2498fb[1].jpg
13906690907_726b3d2588[1].jpg
Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 8.48.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 10.21.07 PM.png
There are 604 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Just posted a minute video of my Bally Lamp board tester prototype and the LED-enabling CD4514CP replacement interposer board.
» YouTube video
They both seem to work right now. I'm waiting until After the Austin Mini-Maker faire to try out the LED replacement chip in the Mirror Universe.
As you may remember; I posted about the Sound Card Tester several months ago ( http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=361 ). I need to document the Pinball Display Tester. And if this Lamp tester works... that'll be a complete set of Arduino-based testers for the Early Bally SolidState machines. Ok. I'm shy the Solenoid board tester.

These are great ideas. I really need to put the couple spare arduinos I have to work.

#502 9 years ago

Looks like you got the #1 skulled, and are in the Top 5 for follows.
http://hackaday.io/projects/tag/sci-fi-contest/page/1

I hope it helps influence the staff of hackaday to give you the grand prize.
Good luck! It was a pleasure to support your project -- and even more fun to see it / play it at TPF.

#503 9 years ago

hope he's awarded there at hackaday too, last day now for skulls and follows..
come on pinsiders!!

#504 9 years ago

Don't you win a trip into outer space or something?

#505 9 years ago

That's the next contest they announced... or $186k. Not sure I'm gonna really try for that one. seems like it may be a little much on the prize perspective. I keep checking the calendar to see if it's April 1st when it comes to that contest.

#506 9 years ago

Skull deserved and given. Great work. Following.

#507 9 years ago

http://hackaday.com/2014/04/30/community-weigh-in-for-sci-fi-contest/
"
The entry period for the Sci-Fi Contest ended at mid-night yesterday morning. Now’s the time to weigh-in as ten prizes will be awarded based on the community outpouring for the project. Go check out all of the projects that were entered and register your opinion through “Follow Project” and/or “Give a Skull” buttons.

We’re hoping to announce judging decisions for the contest on Thursday, May 8th.
"

Also; don't forget the Mirror Universe will be at this weekends Austin Mini Maker Faire on Saturday (5/3) from 10am-6pm.
Look for me at the Intel booth inside. #IntelAMMF14

#508 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

http://hackaday.com/2014/04/30/community-weigh-in-for-sci-fi-contest/
"
The entry period for the Sci-Fi Contest ended at mid-night yesterday morning. Now’s the time to weigh-in as ten prizes will be awarded based on the community outpouring for the project. Go check out all of the projects that were entered and register your opinion through “Follow Project” and/or “Give a Skull” buttons.
We’re hoping to announce judging decisions for the contest on Thursday, May 8th.
"
Also; don't forget the Mirror Universe will be at this weekends Austin Mini Maker Faire on Saturday (5/3) from 10am-6pm.
Look for me at the Intel booth inside. #IntelAMMF14

For those that haven't already "skulled" / followed the project, here's a direct link (though there are lots of other cool projects worth a look at hackaday):
http://hackaday.io/project/674-Star-Trek%3A-The-Mirror-Universe-Pinball

#509 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't you win a trip into outer space or something?

Quoted from Zitt:

That's the next contest they announced... or $186k. Not sure I'm gonna really try for that one. seems like it may be a little much on the prize perspective. I keep checking the calendar to see if it's April 1st when it comes to that contest.

It seems fitting that a ST themed hack earns a trip into space.

#510 9 years ago

As posted to twitter ( @Zittware ):

Are you ready for some Star Trek #pinball at the Intel booth at the Austin Mini Maker Faire? #IntelAMMF14
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/13906690907/sizes/o/
13906690907_726b3d2588[1].jpg13906690907_726b3d2588[1].jpg
We are ready for your #pinball skills...

#511 9 years ago

yep. hoping to get over tomorrow

#512 9 years ago

I'm hoping that the next 3 days comes quickly...
The hackaday votes are 59 vs 58
http://hackaday.io/project/674-Star-Trek%3A-The-Mirror-Universe-Pinball
If I could rally the troops one more time....

#513 9 years ago

I'd start a new thread so you can be sure that EVERYONE skulls you up.

#514 9 years ago

Vid, TBH; I already feel like enough of an ash pimping the up vote here in the thread.
I really just want the contest "over" so I can go back to regularly scheduled updates.

With the Austin Mini Maker Faire over... I can go back to working on the machine once I put the garage back together.

#515 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I already feel like enough of an ash pimping the up vote here in the thread.

Sometimes you just have to throw civility to the wind and call in every last vote.

It's so close, you know the other guy is going to do it on some other geek thread or forum .....

#517 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes you just have to throw civility to the wind and call in every last vote.
It's so close, you know the other guy is going to do it on some other geek thread.....

Other geek thread? Wait... that would imply...

#518 9 years ago

Wait, so there's ANOTHER round of voting now? I skilled/followed the first go round, and when I went back yesterday, it already showed I had skulled, and wouldn't let me do it again.

#519 9 years ago

Some asked how the Austin Mini Maker Faire went:
13948731680_cfee2498fb[1].jpg13948731680_cfee2498fb[1].jpg

I've put some pictures here in this Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/sets/72157644138388197/

The machines were on freeplay; and the kids were... there in force.
I'm not sure if the maker faire has language in their "ticket waiver" about photos; so I've kept the pictures with the kids faces as private photos for now.
Generally I think it's ok to publish said photos since it's a public event on private property; however, I want to get the photographer's permission before publishing them.

#520 9 years ago

Hackaday SciFi contest results posted:
http://hackaday.com/2014/05/08/sci-fi-contest-winners/
Congrats to the winners and thank you for your support.

#521 9 years ago

Bummer you didn't make the top 5 but nice showing. Some of those are cool but maybe I'm missing something since I don't get the BTTF clock being in that list.

#522 9 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

Some of those are cool but maybe I'm missing something

Yeah, I did not get a lot of those choices either....

#523 9 years ago

I'm trying real hard to be a good sport... it's hard.

#524 9 years ago

Add me to the list of people confused by their selection criteria...

#525 9 years ago

My impression is that the current editors at HaD are actually less technically savvy than many of their readers (who are holdouts from the old days.) The fact that Star Trek:Mirror Universe is a much more technically impressive project means less than the fact that it doesn't include any Arduinos or a Raspberry Pi.

#526 9 years ago

Wow. That's a little disappointing to say the least.

#527 9 years ago

Not impressed to be honest.
Needless to say I won't be working on a "Prize" submission.

#528 9 years ago

Re-posting here what I put in Austin's Bat City Pinball Club Facebook thread on the subject:

(following quote from Hackaday's less-than-a-tweet synopsis of John's project) "Fix a pinball machine...."

"Fix?!?!" Are you kidding me?!! Sorry, Zitt, those guys have no appreciation for the magnitude of what you created.

#529 9 years ago

McAfee agrees....

mcafee vs hackaday.jpgmcafee vs hackaday.jpg
3 months later
#530 9 years ago

BTW: This is NOT a licensed copy of my work

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-bally-star-trek-playfield-mod

As I feel some like I've been copied without even an acknowledgment.

Maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... but I can't help feel like some sort of compensation is in order.

#532 9 years ago

CPR provided a detailed email to me personally and provided more details in their thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-bally-star-trek-playfield-mod#post-1840475

I'm now satisfied that I was in error in my assumption of Theft. In this case; great minds think alike and the matter is closed for me.

Now... I must get back to phase2.

2 months later
#533 9 years ago

I'm thinking about taking the ST:MU project down to Houston in a few weeks. Convince me.

Also, I'm thinking about having some of the mods seen here made available to the Bally Star Trek Community:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-bally-star-trek-mods

Is there any other mod you guys would like to see made available?
(please don't say nixie tube displays.

#534 9 years ago

I've seen it. Meh. Would be nice to have an adult beverage and a conversation, however. And I do need you to sell me some boards for the nixie tube displays for my next project!

#535 9 years ago

So - one vote for leave it at home, got it.

#536 9 years ago

Please bring it down. I wasn't able to get up to TPF and I have been Jonesing to see/play this thing of beauty since I first found the thread on KLOV.

I am sure there is a large audience down here in Houston that didn't make it to TPF that would love to see it as well.

ken

#537 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

having some of the mods seen here

Dang, was so hoping it was going to be custom laser cut inserts! JK. Best of luck.

Dan

#538 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Dang, was so hoping it was going to be custom laser cut inserts! JK.

Ouch?! Are you talking about the puzzle peice Nacelle or just the "standard" spiral galaxy ones?

Oh. pinside is allowing one-off's to be added to the machine database...
So go "vouch" for this machine here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-star-trek-the-mirror-universe-by-zittware

#539 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Ouch?! Are you talking about the puzzle peice Nacelle or just the "standard" spiral galaxy ones?

I actually just think it's awesome that you made your own inserts. I keep hearing all these nightmares about inserts. Kevin from CPR recently posted about having to order inserts months in advance and about them more of less dictating which playfields they can run in which order. I know I personally am unable to find F-14 chevrons and DE oval inserts at all, which are pretty much holding up my restorations of those titles. And here you are rolling your own and making them awesome to boot!

Kudos to you!

Dan

#540 9 years ago

Pretty please with sugar on top!

#541 9 years ago

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpgshut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Oh, wait..... wrong thread. Sorry, nothing to see here, move along.

#542 9 years ago

I figured all you Austin dudes would go in on a trailer and caravan it down here. C'mon. You know you want to bring it.

#544 9 years ago

Stock sounds are there - just about half the volume of my other bally; never did figure out why.
I have been debugging the custom audio card off and on. no substantial progress yet.

Basically; the machine will be nearly identical to TPF - except there are Nacelle flipper buttons on it now.

#545 9 years ago

Zitt, I just want to say Bravo! I wish I had half your talent and dedication. Maybe one day you'll get together with a software guy and make a one from scratch to sell. GL

#546 9 years ago

If I do a completely new machine... it'll probably be on the P3 platform.
BUT; there are no real plans of doing that yet.

#547 9 years ago

Contrary to recent last cancellations at the HAAG show; ST:MU is loaded and ready for the trip to HAAG on Friday morning.

#548 9 years ago

ST:MU was present at HAAG this past weekend. The event staff recognized the work on the machine by bestowing "The Houston Cup / Best of Show 2014" to me and the machine.
HAAG_BOS2014.jpgHAAG_BOS2014.jpg
So With the HAAG best of show win last night; Star Trek: The Mirror Universe is now best pinball in TX for 2014.

#549 9 years ago

Congrats, you earned it!

#550 9 years ago

Congrats! Well deserved!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 604 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.