th-1.jpeg
ST LE 8.jpg
ST LE 7.jpg
ST LE 6.jpg
ST LE 5.jpg
eyes.jpg
VUK.png
ST LE 4.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunfox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 10 years ago

So, uh, on a game that has been criticized for being a near clone of the Spider-man layout, they decide to remove one of the few unique differentiating design features... and replace it with the exact same style of flat loop VUK that has only ever been used before on - get this - Spider-man?

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

its in sttng too and other games.

I see what you're talking about in STTNG, but those are essentially completely enclosed boxes and I don't really relate them so much with the "open" SM (and ST) VUK "slinger" design... like I wouldn't relate the STTNG or SM/ST styles with a standard wireform VUK, even though they do the same thing.

Regardless, it's not exactly something new on Steve's part.

And what does the VUK actually do differently - or how does it add value for Premium/LE buyers - when compared to the Pro's saucer kickout?

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was surprised to see you own an SM so I thought you'd like this design since its so cool on SM, but that's not the vibe I'm getting from you. Instead I'm getting this weird vibe that your scared ST will be better than SM. I can't speak for the LE, but the pro is definitely better. May want to sell SM now before its too late!

Search through my posts. You will find that I have never yet sold a pinball, and the first one of mine to go will be BDK, not BSM. So resale value of my collection is not a concern (now I may have pegged your point wrong there, but I'm not sure why else I would be "scared").

My *problem* is Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite themes, and I can't say that about very many Stern games. (Otherwise I would own more.) I was expecting something great in the layout department from Steve after 20 friggin' months development time, and instead he phoned it in and created a near clone of SM (seriously, overlay the schematics from one on top of the other and it's indisputable).

No one with a small collection like mine can afford to have two games with the same basic layout. So yeah, I'm pissed about that, because I expected more. And then he adds a SM-style slinger to replace one of the very few unique design ideas? Geez.

Perhaps I'm just a bit grumpy right now. So many new pins coming out... and I don't feel like any of them actually want my money!

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why? They usually don't play the same. I have MB, MM and AFM. Similar fan layout. They really don't play very similar, especially AFM.
I have yet to read a review by anyone familiar with both ST and SM say that they play or feel the same.

I think if you take away the theming elements from both (art, lights, audio, dots), they would end up feeling very similar as whitewoods. Same number of shots. Almost the exact same shot location. Same three-flipper arrangement with the *exact* same side ramp shot angle. This isn't just the old argument of one fan design looking like another, this is actually SM's layout with some adjustments. With the unlimited creativity that can be expressed in pinball designs, in a 4 game collection there's no room (in my opinion) for two games that offer nearly identical challenges.

Is ST's layout better than SM? Very likely - I know when I revise something, it typically gets better. Like the change to the behind-the-upper-flipper-shot, which was originally created for SM but done too late to enter production. And if I didn't already have SM, I really wouldn't care one iota about the similarities. But I do own that game, and since SM is a very recent title and also very popular design, doing what essentially amounts to a re-theming this soon seems... cheap. Even lazy.

This is, of course, merely my opinion, based on the unfortunate coincidence of already owning a great game that happens to have been the basis for another game featuring a theme in my top five all-time favorites. So, I reserve the right to be personally disappointed!

#253 10 years ago
Quoted from McKie1:

Does anyone think Stern will give any of the LE's away to the Actors, like Williams did for TNG?

Don't forget that all the original actors did custom voice work for TNG pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunfox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-the-stern-factory-on-display?tu=sunfox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.