th-1.jpeg
ST LE 8.jpg
ST LE 7.jpg
ST LE 6.jpg
ST LE 5.jpg
eyes.jpg
VUK.png
ST LE 4.jpg
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

We'll do our best to do you proud. All I really care about is playing a game or two of Star Trek and then just shooting the shit with people. I don't ever end up playing much pinball at these things.

Doesn't get any better than that! Have fun, need updates

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Doesn't get any better than that! Have fun, need updates

I make no promises, but I'll do what I can!

#203 10 years ago

Where is the pic of the laser emitter and the close up of the vuk

#204 10 years ago

Ya out of all the pics posted(which I'm grateful for) I would mainly like to see those two

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The only time it'll be hard to get your hands on an LE after its released is IF the game rocks. And history has proven that it takes at least 6 months post-release before that happens. Im pretty sure there's a lot of MOPLE owners on the verge of selling but wont until they get another big update. Its the way of the pin world. If the game sucks by the masses, there will be plenty to be had. If its good, there's still an easy chance you can get an LE (with 799 being made). If its pure gold kick your ass no one would ever sell there's in a million years; then ya, you may have a tough time finding an LE. The latter has only happened on two stern LE's; and one of those has a premium. STLE...has a premium.
I dont think people need to be too worried about not being able to get an STLE after release. But as always, i could be wrong

Everyone keeps quoting 799 made. The total number is correct..BUT... 400 went overseas and those machines won't be converted back for U.S play. That leaves 400 for U.S, and North America. I'm not saying its going to be a met frenzy, but I forsee these drying up NIB sooner than later. You might be able to pick up a HUO version if someone needs to move a pin for financial reasons or to pick up a different pin or pins etc.

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

Where is the pic of the laser emitter and the close up of the vuk

PLEASE pardon these pics. I actually had a really nice camera ready for this exact moment. When I got back to the hotel I saw that my camera was in the wrong mode and was not opening enough to get light in. ALL of my high res pics of the game did not come out exposed. Still, I maniputaled them as best I could in photo shop, which had produced a grainy result. Still, I think you can see everything I mention.

The only thing we dont know at this point is WHAT the "laser projector" looks like, if there is a lens of some kind, etc. From what I could see with my naked eye, there is an opening in the apron that allows light to pass out of it. Behind the apron I could see a large mechanical wheel. Perhaps there are small openings on this wheel that make the stars... who can know for sure?

Anyways, here are some pics.

LASER STLE.jpgLASER STLE.jpgVUK 2.jpgVUK 2.jpgVUK.jpgVUK.jpg

#207 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

I don't see why. The ramps were the main differentiator between the two, and it's been resolved for $400. Cointaker LEDs cost less than $200. According to Boston Pinball, the average sale price of a Tron Pro this year has been $6599. There's no mention of LEs being sold, but just looking on Pinside and eBay I don't think I've seen one listed this year for less than $10,000. I don't think a handful of drop targets, a moving Recognizer, slightly different artwork and Daft Punk Multiball are worth the $3000 difference. At worst, it's The Premium That Never Was. At best, it's all people really want from a TRON LE, minus the artificial scarcity.

That's your opinion. And mine. But it doesn't change the fact that a Pro with fiber ramps isn't a LE. It doesn't have true code intergration, drop targets, the moving recognizer, DP Mulitball (heh), and the "upgraded" playfield artwork. And it doesn't change the fact that people ARE paying 3000 extra to get it.

My wife told me today she wants STEE, Tron LE, Metallica Pro, and STTNG in our living room. I said fine, but it's going to be a modded Tron Pro, because the difference between that and the Tron LE will completely pay for Metallica Pro. Not that we can afford all these games, but just to illustrate a point.

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's your opinion. And mine. But it doesn't change the fact that a Pro with fiber ramps isn't a LE. It doesn't have true code intergration, drop targets, the moving recognizer, DP Mulitball (heh).

I've heard some people pay quite a lot for DP with multiballs.

Just saying ...

rd.

#209 10 years ago

That is one beautiful pin! Can't wait to see it in person.

#210 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

PLEASE pardon these pics.

Man these are great! thanks for posting them A+ reporting from the show and thank you again! if you have any other picts post um.

#211 10 years ago

So is the LE at the expo?

#212 10 years ago

Nope!

#213 10 years ago

Bummer. Well I'm not there anyway

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've heard some people pay quite a lot for DP with multiballs.
Just saying ...
rd.

I wonder how many people got that joke. LOL

#215 10 years ago

So, uh, on a game that has been criticized for being a near clone of the Spider-man layout, they decide to remove one of the few unique differentiating design features... and replace it with the exact same style of flat loop VUK that has only ever been used before on - get this - Spider-man?

#216 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wonder how many people got that joke. LOL

Sometimes I think my jokes fly over the heads of some Pinsiders.

Good to see a couple of people picked it up.

rd.

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

So, uh, on a game that has been criticized for being a near clone of the Spider-Man layout, they decide to remove one of the few unique differentiating design features... and replace it with the exact same style of flat loop VUK that has only ever been used before on - get this - Spider-Man?

its in sttng too and other games.

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

its in sttng too and other games.

I see what you're talking about in STTNG, but those are essentially completely enclosed boxes and I don't really relate them so much with the "open" SM (and ST) VUK "slinger" design... like I wouldn't relate the STTNG or SM/ST styles with a standard wireform VUK, even though they do the same thing.

Regardless, it's not exactly something new on Steve's part.

And what does the VUK actually do differently - or how does it add value for Premium/LE buyers - when compared to the Pro's saucer kickout?

#219 10 years ago

im an le buyer and could care less as long as there are wire form ramps im good

#220 10 years ago

Newb Q - what is a VUK?

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from grifter:

Newb Q - what is a VUK?

Vertical UpKicker. Its where the ball shoots up into the smaller-like curly metal habi-trail thingies.

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

And what does the VUK actually do differently - or how does it add value for Premium/LE buyers - when compared to the Pro's saucer kickout?

I'd like to know, appears the answr is "feeds the metal ramp to left flipper". really nothing?

#223 10 years ago

Sending it back to the left flipper really does nothing much in reality but SR said in that little factory blurb that "now all shots can be linked to combos" (paraphrasing badly) when asked about the VUK.

So perhaps he is saying that now a shot to the VUK will continue a combo streak as it will be "fed" back to the left flipper. I know... big deal right? Still it means there will at least be another code update to accommodate this.

#224 10 years ago

Ya it's a bummer the vuk doesn't launch to the warp ramp; but it will still flow better than the pro. The kickback vuk on the pro doesn't always go to the inlanes and its just not as smooth as a web slinger. Not a big difference but better flow is always better right?

And we keep forgetting what else Steve added to his design...the color changing led 'shields' indicator on the apron. Now that looks bad ass. But as always, it will come down to code. I hope they're allowed to spend a good year on STs code like Lyman did for ACDC.

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

So, uh, on a game that has been criticized for being a near clone of the Spider-Man layout, they decide to remove one of the few unique differentiating design features... and replace it with the exact same style of flat loop VUK that has only ever been used before on - get this - Spider-Man?

I was surprised to see you own an SM so I thought you'd like this design since its so cool on SM, but that's not the vibe I'm getting from you. Instead I'm getting this weird vibe that your scared ST will be better than SM. I can't speak for the LE, but the pro is definitely better. May want to sell SM now before its too late!

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Sometimes I think my jokes fly over the heads of some Pinsiders.
Good to see a couple of people picked it up.
rd.

I got it loud and clear, in both holes.

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I got it loud and clear, in both holes.

Well played Wolfman!

rd

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

ST will be better than SM.

SM is the best,ST could even be better!

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was surprised to see you own an SM so I thought you'd like this design since its so cool on SM, but that's not the vibe I'm getting from you. Instead I'm getting this weird vibe that your scared ST will be better than SM. I can't speak for the LE, but the pro is definitely better. May want to sell SM now before its too late!

Search through my posts. You will find that I have never yet sold a pinball, and the first one of mine to go will be BDK, not BSM. So resale value of my collection is not a concern (now I may have pegged your point wrong there, but I'm not sure why else I would be "scared").

My *problem* is Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite themes, and I can't say that about very many Stern games. (Otherwise I would own more.) I was expecting something great in the layout department from Steve after 20 friggin' months development time, and instead he phoned it in and created a near clone of SM (seriously, overlay the schematics from one on top of the other and it's indisputable).

No one with a small collection like mine can afford to have two games with the same basic layout. So yeah, I'm pissed about that, because I expected more. And then he adds a SM-style slinger to replace one of the very few unique design ideas? Geez.

Perhaps I'm just a bit grumpy right now. So many new pins coming out... and I don't feel like any of them actually want my money!

#230 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Search through my posts. You will find that I have never yet sold a pinball, and the first one of mine to go will be BDK, not BSM. So resale value of my collection is not a concern (now I may have pegged your point wrong there, but I'm not sure why else I would be "scared").
My *problem* is Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite themes, and I can't say that about very many Stern games. (Otherwise I would own more.) I was expecting something great in the layout department from Steve after 20 friggin' months development time, and instead he phoned it in and created a near clone of SM (seriously, overlay the schematics from one on top of the other and it's indisputable).
No one with a small collection like mine can afford to have two games with the same basic layout. So yeah, I'm pissed about that, because I expected more. And then he adds a SM-style slinger to replace one of the very few unique design ideas? Geez.

so much truth here for me it hurts.

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Search through my posts. You will find that I have never yet sold a pinball, and the first one of mine to go will be BDK, not BSM. So resale value of my collection is not a concern (now I may have pegged your point wrong there, but I'm not sure why else I would be "s6cared").
Perhaps I'm just a bit grumpy right now. So many new pins coming out... and I don't feel like any of them actually want my money!

Funny. The layouts are the same but it feels a lot different. One of my buddies that doesn't really care for SM, loved ST. But I see your point. The layouts are similar.
A big difference I note is the ST is about 10x faster. I maybe over exaggerating but the venom shot from right flipper is slow and the ST warp ramp fires right back at you.

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Have you looked at any videos (pro and LE) or read the reviews? Looks to play, feel, and look nothing like SM. but I respect your judgement as it is very viable. Time will tell once you get to play it. I love what Steve did to ST. No actors on the pf; looks like a pin you would see inside the Star Trek universe; its got all sorts of interactive moments (lighting, fire button, away team, vengeance, shields, laser power, Etc...). One last piece missing, code code code...will they deliver or fall flat yet again.

#233 10 years ago

I wonder if the new placement of the left asteroid will block the players view of the WARP ramp?? If so then there is no need for the chase lights.

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Also on LOTR.

#235 10 years ago

I just noticed that in Bakushan's pictures above the left asteroid is in a different position in both pics. Have they decided where to put it??

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

No one with a small collection like mine can afford to have two games with the same basic layout.

Why? They usually don't play the same. I have MB, MM and AFM. Similar fan layout. They really don't play very similar, especially AFM.

I have yet to read a review by anyone familiar with both ST and SM say that they play or feel the same.

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why? They usually don't play the same. I have MB, MM and AFM. Similar fan layout. They really don't play very similar, especially AFM.
I have yet to read a review by anyone familiar with both ST and SM say that they play or feel the same.

I think if you take away the theming elements from both (art, lights, audio, dots), they would end up feeling very similar as whitewoods. Same number of shots. Almost the exact same shot location. Same three-flipper arrangement with the *exact* same side ramp shot angle. This isn't just the old argument of one fan design looking like another, this is actually SM's layout with some adjustments. With the unlimited creativity that can be expressed in pinball designs, in a 4 game collection there's no room (in my opinion) for two games that offer nearly identical challenges.

Is ST's layout better than SM? Very likely - I know when I revise something, it typically gets better. Like the change to the behind-the-upper-flipper-shot, which was originally created for SM but done too late to enter production. And if I didn't already have SM, I really wouldn't care one iota about the similarities. But I do own that game, and since SM is a very recent title and also very popular design, doing what essentially amounts to a re-theming this soon seems... cheap. Even lazy.

This is, of course, merely my opinion, based on the unfortunate coincidence of already owning a great game that happens to have been the basis for another game featuring a theme in my top five all-time favorites. So, I reserve the right to be personally disappointed!

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I think if you take away the theming elements from both (art, lights, audio, dots), they would feel end up feeling very similar as whitewoods. Same number of shots. Almost the exact same shot location. Same three-flipper arrangement with the *exact* same side ramp shot angle. This isn't just the old argument of one fan design looking like another, this is actually SM's layout with some adjustments. With the unlimited creativity that can be expressed in pinball designs, in a 4 game collection there's no room (in my opinion) for two games that offer nearly identical challenges.
Is ST's layout better than SM? Very likely - I know when I revise something, it typically gets better. Like the change to the behind-the-upper-flipper-shot, which was originally created for SM but done too late to enter production. And if I didn't already have SM, I really wouldn't care one iota about the similarities. But I do own that game, and since SM is a very recent title and also very popular design, doing what essentially amounts to a re-theming this soon seems... cheap. Even lazy.
This is, of course, merely my opinion, based on the unfortunate coincidence of already owning a great game that happens to have been the basis for another game featuring a theme in my top five all-time favorites. So, I reserve the right to be personally disappointed!

Thank god they're not both whitewoods.

#239 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I think if you take away the theming elements from both (art, lights, audio, dots), they would end up feeling very similar as whitewoods. Same number of shots. Almost the exact same shot location. Same three-flipper arrangement with the *exact* same side ramp shot angle. This isn't just the old argument of one fan design looking like another, this is actually SM's layout with some adjustments. With the unlimited creativity that can be expressed in pinball designs, in a 4 game collection there's no room (in my opinion) for two games that offer nearly identical challenges.

I understand where you are coming from for sure.

But as you can see from my collection, I personally don't get bothered by having similar PF designs in my collection, as long as the game plays great, has interesting rules, and a good theme.

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I understand where you are coming from for sure.
But as you can see from my collection, I personally don't get bothered by having similar PF designs in my collection, as long as the game plays great, has interesting rules, and a good theme.

I can't believe that SR didn't put the pop bumpers right in front of the flippers on the playfield.

#241 10 years ago

I've said this many times, but pop bumpers are so boring. Where is the creativity? Invent something new for Christ's sake!

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

I've said this many times, but pop bumpers are so boring. Where is the creativity? Invent something new for Christ's sake!

Pop bumpers defines pinball. But you want new...

Color changing inserts and GI
Interactive lighting outside and inside cabinet
Star field lasers

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

but pop bumpers are so boring

I hope they start producing new pins without them... this way I can stop f-in buying them and save for retirement!

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Pop bumpers defines pinball

Their were Pop Bumpers before their were flippers.
I love it when the ball gets caught up in a Pop Bumper frenzy

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

I love it when the ball gets caught up in a Pop Bumper frenzy

Yep... there is nothing better than having your balls bouncing around in a frenzy!

#246 10 years ago

OK. You gotta think outside the box. Pinball is about the ball getting rocketed around, I agree. but the same old round bumpers arranged in threes on every machine? C'mon!

Imagine a Outlane you could shoot up that was extra wide and had slightly angled slingshots on both sides going all the way up and the goal was to get the ball by nudging, to a ball accelerator at the top that would send the ball down the other side of the machine at break neck speed.

How about a rotating scoop? You shoot it and it catches the ball at playfield level and spins. Flipper button triggers a fire of the ball like a cannon.

how about a cannon mechanism where the goal is to fire into a second cannon etc.. Zig zag up the playfield.

When will they give the player control over magnets as a shield or whatever?

Pinball design is ridiculously conservative is my point. I have a hundred more ideas.

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

OK. You gotta think outside the box. Pinball is about the ball getting rocketed around, I agree. but the same old round bumpers arranged in threes on every machine? C'mon!
Imagine a Outlane you could shoot up that was extra wide and had slightly angled slingshots on both sides going all the way up and the goal was to get the ball by nudging, to a ball accelerator at the top that would send the ball down the other side of the machine at break neck speed.
How about a rotating scoop? You shoot it and it catches the ball at playfield level and spins. Flipper button triggers a fire of the ball like a cannon.
how about a cannon mechanism where the goal is to fire into a second cannon etc.. Zig zag up the playfield.
Pinball design is ridiculously conservative is my point. I have a hundred more ideas.

I think Oz is onto something here!

#248 10 years ago

Oz, were you hanging out with Python this weekend?

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Look at P3

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Um, Steve Ritchie in ~1980 in Black Knight, and repeated many times since then.

Quoted from ozno:

I have a hundred more ideas.

Apply to a company, start your own, or develop prototypes in your garage just for fun (that's how Lawlor got his start, so don't think I'm being abusive). Ideas are cheap, implementing them in a commercially successful way is HARD.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

But as always, it will come down to code. I hope they're allowed to spend a good year on STs code like Lyman did for ACDC.

The way things have been going at Stern the team will be lucky to get one dog year to finish the code... What the heck is up with the slew of unfinished or poorly finished games lately?

Ironically Avengers is the least appealing in terms of play and physical polish (just my opinion, and the opinion of many others...) is the only one in the last while to have had reasonable code soon after release...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-the-stern-factory-on-display/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.