Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-475.jpg
image-646.jpg
image-882.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

OK, so I was installing the STLE Cliffy and Pinbits protector (that VUK Cliffy install is a bitch). When I was replacing the plastic (stack of plastics) which supports the left asteroid, and was screwing in the asteroid post, the thin screw that goes through the plastic and into the playfield (and to which the left asteroid post screws into) just freaking snapped. What was left behind is just a nubbin of metal from the screw sticking out of the playfield.

Any tips on how to remove a snapped screw with very little poking out? I'm just sick about this, since it's less than a week old! I managed to stabilize the asteroid post with some cable ties and a few pieces of electrical tape, but it's not pretty, and pretty is what this machine is all about.

I'd really like to get that screw tip out without damaging the playfield so I can replace it.

FML.

#2 10 years ago

I know in some cases people drill into the screw with a smaller bit, then use a reverse thread screw to back the original out. How big is the post?

#3 10 years ago

It's happened to me before, don't worry about it, just get a kit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Extractor-Set-5-Piece/dp/B001TLIJU2/ref=sr_1_11

Works every time for me. You can get them at your local hardware store.

#4 10 years ago

1) Dremel a small slit on the end, and use flat head screwdriver to remove

2) Cover surrounding PF area around screw with blue painters tape to protect, grip screw with large pliers, rotate out.

#5 10 years ago

How much of the screw is sticking out? Got pics?

#6 10 years ago

eek

#7 10 years ago

Vice grips. Every tool box should have this.

#8 10 years ago

I've noticed that those screws on my game were really cranked down. So the screw may have been in bad shape to start with. If you are going to try a screw extractor (first, desperate choice if the screw snapped blow the playfield surface), you'll need a bolt version that can handle a #6 shaft.

A pic would be helpful.

#9 10 years ago

1 week later
#10 10 years ago

Zsci what was the outcome here? Did you get the broken screw out?

#11 10 years ago

It seems to be a problem of the ST LE. Same thing here. Exactly this screw which holds the left asteroid broke by mine too. I'm despaired and don't trust to do something till now.
Is there a chance to get somthing from stern itself?

#12 10 years ago

Same thing happened to me while installing protectors (oh, irony). I think I have a really good solution to fix this! I'm going to try it later when I get home…I'll be back with pix of the fix!

#13 10 years ago

It also happened to me while installing protectors, and the only way that I could fix it was by drilling out the broken screw. The original screw hole doesn't go through to the bottom of the playfield so I had to work from the top. I put thick electrical tape around the hole and started with a small bit to create a center point. Tried using a center punch first but that didn't work. Then I stepped up the bit to a little smaller than the hole and finished with the matching size. I wiped the bit frequently with oil. It turned out fine with no damage to the playfield. Installed a new post from Pinball Life and it's as good or better than new.

The asteroid on my machine was originally installed midway up the plastic, but noticed in the recent Pinball News review that it was at the top where there are cutouts in the plastics for the metal post. Both locations use #6 screw threads so it shouldn't make a difference, but I wonder if this could have something to do with why the screws are installed so damn tight.

#14 10 years ago

Ok so here's my solution that doesn't require any tools or drilling. You just need an inch long threaded hex post, or in my case, two 1/2 in. posts because that's what I had on hand. Just attach the hex post where the old broken screw used to be. Put a Cliffy post sleeve on it, and put the whole thing back in the game! All that original screw and spacer did was balance/support the plastic and Asteroid. This does the same thing - doesnt matter that it's not screwed in. The Cliffy post gives it a nice "grip" on the playfield surface around the broken screw nub.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-882.jpgimage-882.jpg
image-646.jpgimage-646.jpg
image-475.jpgimage-475.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Nice Rarehero!

You get my coveted Taco Bell inspired "Think Outside the Bun" award for this week!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Nice Rarehero!
You get my coveted Taco Bell inspired "Think Outside the Bun" award for this week!

LOL yay! Bean burritos for meeee!

#17 10 years ago

Don't put Cliffy's on a Nib? That's my solution, although since its done I'd listen to Greg

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Don't put Cliffy's on a Nib? That's my solution, although since its done I'd listen to Greg

Huh? I think there's a massive misunderstanding about what happened here.

-There's a screw that basically breaks off leaving a nub in the playfield if you remove it/replace it.
-Without the screw & spacer that goes over it, the back of the plastic stack w/ the asteroid will "sag"
-I replaced the screw & spacer with some threaded hex posts & a Cliffy post sleeve...nothing going on here with Cliffy metal protectors.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ok so here's my solution that doesn't require any tools or drilling. You just need an inch long threaded hex post, or in my case, two 1/2 in. posts because that's what I had on hand. . Just attach the hex post where the old broken screw used to be. Put a Cliffy post sleeve on it, and put the whole thing back in the game! All that original screw and spacer did was balance/support the plastic and Asteroid. This does the same thing - doesnt matter that it's not screwed in. The Cliffy post gives it a nice "grip" on the playfield surface around the broken screw nub.

As much as I hate to admit it, smart and clever solution. Kudos.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As much as I hate to admit it, smart and clever solution. Kudos.

Peace and love!

#21 10 years ago

Im installing my plastic protectors tonight and wouldnt you know it when I got to this one, the last plastic protector I installed, the screw right behind that asteroid wouldn't budge. And Im thinking about this thread and saying to myself, don't snap it, don't snap it, but I think there is some weird pattern with this screw being too tight or something. Thank you for posting about this...

So I cut the plastic protector between that last screw hole that supports the asteroid and the screw hold that supports the plastic stack, nice clean cut, and installed with no issue. You can't see the cut when playing and the half inch missing doesnt seem to be protecting any vulnerable plastic because it backs onto the left orbit lane.

2 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

The screws, more the cheap quality, which Stern uses here are an unbounded cheek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To bring the screwparts out is no chance so it only will help to drill all the metall out.
Finally I was able to drill out the screw with much patience and fear. It took around 2 hours. I started with the most tiny metall driller and than the next size. You need nerves of steel for that action.

AND NOW IT COMES....

Before I build back the plastics I tested the replacement screw that there will be no problems for screw it down and quess what happened..... right!!! The new screw broke again on the same part as the old one.
I thought is only can be a nightmare. After all the work near the same picture. My only luck was that this time the screw was not too deep in the playfield so I was able to bring it out with a gripper and luck after around 30 minutes.

The quality of the screws are the worst I had ever seen. Totally soft and fragile.
Sorry Stern, I can not understand the using of such chep screws in a 8K pinball. We speak here of a cent article.
Such building quality makes every support and upgrades to a horror trip! By the way buying a NIB pinball too.

#23 10 years ago

I've fitted protectors to mine and a friends LE, that was the tightest screw on both games. Guess Stern may not have dimpled very well in that area when they pressed the playfields

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-screwed-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.