Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1926.jpg
image.jpg
image-195.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from filthyPierre:

In the end I did what the tech bulletin said - I pulled the latch off and put two small washers underneath to raise the latch by about 1/16". Interestingly, there was a grey card shim underneath when I removed it. This is obviously an attempt to fix the issue, but not quite on the mark. Once I'd put it back together, it all plays as it should, with no spurrious down/up/down/up/downs.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Thanks. I had the exact same issue. The latch was only holding the drop by about a fingernail. Added washers and back to normal.

Hey there, can I ask you guys whether you had to remove the whole drop target assembly to insert the washers under the screws, or were you able to do the fix with the assembly in place? It sort of looks like if I can get the right angle with a screw driver, I might be able to loosen the screw and slip a washer behind it. But, I figured I would ask how others did it before giving it a try myself. Thanks!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Remove the assembly. It is only a few screws and will be much much easier to access. Tales less than ten minutes.

Thanks. For some reason, it looked more complicated than that. Good to know that it is fairly simple.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

My advice is remove one screw from the black spacer lip and loosen the other one. Put the washer in behind the black spacer and place the screw and then remove the other one. Hope that makes sense.

It does. Thanks!

Do you remember if you had to disconnect the electronics when you removed the assembly? If so, were they just plugs?

#18 9 years ago

Thanks. All of my prior experience was with an old Bally. Nothing was easy with that.

1 month later
#26 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What size washers?

The Stern bulletin says 1/16". I still have to try this myself. My drop target is getting worse by the day. My after Thanksgiving project . . . .

#29 9 years ago

Just fixed the issue with mine by putting the washers in place. Worked like a charm. I'm always amazed when I successfully fix something on my pins (especially without breaking something else).

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just fixed the issue with mine by putting the washers in place. Worked like a charm. I'm always amazed when I successfully fix something on my pins (especially without breaking something else).

Well, I spoke too soon. I eliminated the problem with phantom, repeated hits. But, I created a problem where every once in a while, hitting the target wouldn't register a hit. May theory is that the 1/16" washers may have been a tad too thick. I found a thinner pair of washers lying around the house -- call them 1/32" but I don't really know. Anyway, for now, that seems to have worked. (Of course, I thought I had this fixed yesterday, so I need a bunch more games on the machine to tell for sure.)

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

When you remount the assembly to the Playfield take care to position it so the target is clear of the playfield. It must be able to get knocked off the shelf and if there isn't enough clearance you will have the issue of it failing to drop when struck on occasion.

Maybe that was the problem, but what do you mean? There seemed to be only one position to put it back in -- I just aligned the holes and put the screws back in the assembly to mount it.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I'm having that same problem too. Might need to try thinner washers.

I'm still getting the occasional hit that is failing to register, though it seems less frequent with the thinner washers. Maybe I need to try just one thin washer on one side. There's probably a sweet spot that is a bit machine dependent. Kind of frustrating.

Quoted from Imeh:

There is no real adjustment, just tweak it as you tighten it down. It must have clearance between the target and playfield. You may have to go with thinner washers if you can't get clearance.

I feel stupid, but I'm just not getting this. My target seems centered in the slot. If it wasn't clearing the playfield, I don't think it would work 98% of the time like it is doing.

3 months later
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It can take two people to diagnose this, one to shoot, and the other standing at the side of the game watching the drop. That's how we figured mine. The drop was too far back, probably because of the washers, and practically pressed up against the wood of the hole. Ball would whack it hard, but it just couldn't get pushed back far enough to reliably drop.
You can't see this from the front of the machine, why having a second pair of eyes helps.
We took the assembly off and bent it slightly, and installed it keeping it as forward as possible while tightening the screws.
Problem solved, had a league event with 35 people playing it all day, no problems.

Aurich, I'm still having this problem of an occasional hard hit not registering. Can you tell me how you bent it? Just with your hands? Also, in what direction? I think to get the target to lean forward more, you need to bend the assembly from a right angle to a slightly obtuse one, correct? Thanks!

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

This just happened to mine. Where did you order the black plastic shelf? Directly from Stern?
Thanks.

My shelf just broke as well -- it is cracked but still functions for the moment. I emailed Stern. Amazing that in this day and age, a simple drop target is giving people so much trouble.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well mine is starting to do it again, so I guess I'd better take it apart and look at it some more. But the basic idea was just to get the back of the drop away from the wood, it seemed to be resting against it, so the ball couldn't knock it off the shelf.

Thanks. What a pain in the neck!

2 months later
#56 8 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

My plastic ledge has broken twice now with this "fix" just be advised and ready it doesn't seem to hold up well in the long run, at least mine haven't. Requesting parts again, I wish there was a metal piece instead of plastic for that small ledge for drop target.

Mine is visibly broken but still operable. I ordered a couple of more from pinball life just to have on hand, but I'll replace it when I need to do so. Perhaps instead of washers, a 1/32" thick strip of metal in the right shape would work better to even out the load.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-drop-target-wont-stay-up?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.