ussflagg-1.jpg
DSC09788.JPG
DSC09787.JPG
STLE 005.JPG
STLE 007.JPG
STLE 003.JPG
STLE 006.JPG
STLE 004.JPG
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 10 years ago

I bought this ship awhile ago...http://www.roddenberry.com/star-trek-uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-d.html

Stern's track record on caring about the toy aesthetics isn't great, so I'm not surprised the ship looks less-than-great.

#102 10 years ago

fire_everything.pngfire_everything.png

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Of course they don't have time to monitor FB

they do have time to ban people if someone uses words they dont like @ stern..
i wish they invest more into making good and regular updates for their pinballmachine, then to ban people on their page!

if this was on their FB page i would bet that i been banned instantly

such an bad protocol

#104 10 years ago

I thought Alex got banned for telling someone this. What, you can't argue your point without resorting to this?

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

I thought Alex got banned for telling someone this. What, you can't argue your point without resorting to this?

Hazoff is on vacation for his actions.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I bought this ship awhile ago...http://www.roddenberry.com/star-trek-uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-d.html
Stern's track record on caring about the toy aesthetics isn't great, so I'm not surprised the ship looks less-than-great.

Already sold out. That was quick! I bet a few in here might be responsible!

I think I will stick to the original one and get practical add ons like the coindoor headphone jack. Does the STLE have dollar bill bezel?

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Maybe they were neglected as children?

You figured it out. ...and the only cure for us neglected children is to purchase over-priced pinball machines.
Is the next one out yet? I'm feeling sorry for myself again.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

by the lame "Enterprise" that they so boasted about.
Yeah; it has LEDs... but could they not make the ship a little more realistic?
Way to phone in the blue LED on the Brussard collectors. They didn't embed the LEDs behind a lens; just kinda hung them on the front on the Nacelles as if we are suppose to use our imagination,

It took me a little while to learn this lesson about pinball machine toys and graphics.
They are meant to look a little campy.
Look at some of the older and newer machines like Twilight Zone, Cyclone, AcDc or WOZ. The witch looks like a wedding cake figure, but you know what, that's what she should look like!

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

It took me a little while to learn this lesson about pinball machine toys and graphics.
Look at some of the older and newer machines like Twilight Zone, Cyclone, AcDc or WOZ. The witch looks like a wedding cake figure, but you know what, that's what she should look like!

Indeed
image.jpgimage.jpg

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Sounds like rationalizing to me. Many folks critique the artwork (PF, cabinet, translate) till the cows come home. The toys are 3D artwork…if you care about the quality of the artwork (and I understand not everyone does), it only natural to care about the quality of the toys. For example, the original TRON arcade was really ugly/cheap…one of the most common mods. From my perspective, something that looks like it came out of a "cracker jack" box shouldn't be on a 4-8k pinball machine.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sounds like rationalizing to me. Many folks critique the artwork (PF, cabinet, translate) till the cows come home. The toys are 3D artwork…if you care about the quality of the artwork (and I understand not everyone does), it only natural to care about the quality of the toys. For example, the original TRON arcade was really ugly/cheap…one of the most common mods. From my perspective, something that looks like it came out of a "cracker jack" box shouldn't be on a 4-8k pinball machine.

I understand what your saying, and as I mentioned, I used to think that same way. I would look at the playfield for example of Cyclone and say, why are those graphics so cartoonish and look so bad. There are artists that could make that so realistic. But now I get it.
When I look at "real" photographs such as the faces on Tron, they don't work for me. I'm sure someone is going to say "My XYZ pin has great photos on the playfield" and that's fine. I am just going back to the original post on this topic about the detail of the Enterprise. I think it would look like Tron if Stern didn't make it the way they did. I think it was a nice balance of the way the bridge looks in the movies, and the models they included.
Even my old favorite game, SW DE had campy looking graphics, and the death star dome was very much low detail.
If that model of the Enterprise bothers the author so much, replace it with the Hallmark model. I understand those are nice and detailed.
Personally if Hallmark made a witch from the Wizard Of Oz with wicked details, I don't know that I would swap it out.

#112 10 years ago

I considered swapping out to the Hallmark Enterprise, but when my LE arrived, I thought the Enterprise looked great. Sure, there are better, and more detailed models out there, but in comparison to the models in my STTNG (as posted above) these look incredible! It's a simple aesthetic thing. Making something more realistic doesn't necessarily make it better. I've always felt that the figures in LOTR look really cheesy too, and not to scale etc. I can't stand the photoshopped image collages that have become so rampant (IE ACDC etc). I think the MOD has every right to critique the quality of the play field toys, but it's clearly not the norm to have state of the art realistic playfield toys, regardless of the price of the machine. That's part of what makes modding fun. STLE is a hell of a machine. I'm super happy with mine.

#113 10 years ago

This thread is the equivalent of after a critically acclaimed movie, reviewers trash it so they can generate more traffic on their site. LAMP thread.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Hey Zitt you're a douchebag, this might be the worst posting I've ever read on Pinside and might be the last one I read.

3svgjg.jpg3svgjg.jpg
#115 10 years ago
Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

This thread is the equivalent of after a critically acclaimed movie reviewers trash it so they can generate more traffic on their site. LAMP thread.

Frank F., leave that body, stop possessing innocent souls and go back to RGP...

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

This just in:
Xbox One/PS4 is better than PS4/Xbox One

actually they both suck. I'm holding out a couple of years to see what happens with the software manufacturers and see if anyone jumps on board with that Software dedication ability.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually they both suck.

irrelevant.

I never said either were good, but one has to be better than the other or else there's nothing to fight about.

#118 10 years ago

sure, we can argue they both suck, or one or both are good. It's a 3 some.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

KUDOS to you. I have also made a stance in that regard. Only way prices are going to come back down, is if we stop buying and they figure out they have gouged to much.

I'm not getting a Premium, after pulsing a few people for prices (thanks!) and trying to decide what to let go so it would fit in the space I have.

I know my non-pin friends, the grand-kids, hell even me would really enjoy playing that game...maybe even my wife.

I really liked playing "The Dudes" refinery pro.

But at $6500, it's just too much money...not the code, not the toys, not the color...but the price.

Robert

#120 10 years ago

my cutoff is 6k. not a penny over.

If I think in pinball terms, that doesn't seem to buy as much as it did 3 years ago anymore. But if you think about it in actual money and day to day life. 6k is more than I paid for any car in my entire life (except 1). I've owned around 20 cars in my life. None of them were even close to 6k except 1. In fact. i think my first 8 cars combined didn't even cost 6k. If I skip the 1 that cost way over 6k. (the one and only time i've ever had car payments. Never again. Car payments is like pissing money out the window).

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I really liked playing "The Dudes" refinery pro.

But at $6500, it's just too much money...not the code, not the toys, not the color...but the price.

Robert

4500 for the pro. Powder coat 250-500 depending if you want to buy new set or send yours in. Metal apron that lights (awesome!) 195. Shaker 170. So worst case you can get a great looking game for under 5500.

#122 10 years ago

you don't get the shaker with the premium either. So that cost you have to add to the premium and LE prices as well.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

4500 for the pro. Powder coat 250-500 depending if you want to buy new set or send yours in. Metal apron that lights (awesome!) 195. Shaker 170. So worst case you can get a great looking game for under 5500.

Yes, I appreciate the info...really would like to have that game in my home, but just can't justify the costs...I would pay $5k for a premium, but not $6500...and maybe $4500 for a blinged out pro.

I just got a SM and probably paid more than it sold for new, so I understand the possibility that downstream that a ST may not be less expensive, given that it will also be pretty used. I would guess that in a route, these will get lots of play.

I may change my mind after someone near me gets a Premium, but for now I think I'm out.

$5.5k sure sounds better than 6.5k and 7.8k though. I think $4700 was the least I was quoted on a ST pro.

Like I heard about a month ago, buy both a ST pro & MET pro, for about the price on an ST-LE.

Robert

#124 10 years ago

Exactly why you have the Refinery crew out there Robert. At $5600 you can have powder coat that looks better than any of the other models, an apron (with lighting effects tied to gameplay) that looks better than any of the other models, and plenty of added lighting effects. Pro model on this title is an excellent value.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

an apron (with lighting effects tied to gameplay) that looks better than any of the other models,

Have to say the refinery apron smokes the Prem and Le.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually they both suck. I'm holding out a couple of years to see what happens with the software manufacturers and see if anyone jumps on board with that Software dedication ability.

Why doesn't that surprise me Neo? Is there anything you like!

I'm getting a PS4 when I can find one.....

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Wow factor and great value, those guys are something else!

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Yes it does, way better then the disco ball thing and shield lights.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

way better then the disco ball thing.

How would you know ? You cheaped out and bought a pro and now you are trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision.

I think the PF projector adds to the game as a extra bonus .

#129 10 years ago

Im going to play it on Saturday and then want it on Sunday. From hell's heart, I stab at thee Steve Richie. For hate's sake, I spit my last post at thee Stern!!!!

#130 10 years ago

Yes it does, way better then the disco ball thing and shield lights.

I really hate to say this, but it's actually how I feel: the majority of your posts regarding STLE really come across as petty and a constant attempt to justify you backing out of the LE. I'm sure you will say that you are happy with your decision, just like you have before, but I really don't know if I believe you anymore.

#131 10 years ago

Of course you thumbs down and attack me and not the person who initially said it, weird bunch (always the same 6 or 7 people though, the rest should be here soon ). But that is how I actually feel about the Refinery apron, I actually feel it is better then the Premium/LE apron. That is my personal opinion, I'm not taking anything else away from the Premium/LE, I've stated before I like the LE, LOVE the Premium but my personal opinion is I personally like the Refinery apron better then the Premium LE apron, others agree, others disagree, that is fine. Not everyone likes the same things. I like the LE backglass the best, some agree, some disagree. I like different aspects from each version. I won't post anything more on the matter as I have realized some people thrive on this stuff. And if you don't respond it ends quickly.

#132 10 years ago

Wile I am not a big fan of more than one version of a game being made,I understand why they do, different strokes for different folks. I have never been a big fan of changing or modifying my games. I like to keep them as original as possible. With that said their are exceptions to every rule, take my STTNG. I did add a ColorDMD as well as lasers in the gun turret but that's as far as I go. Wile most people replace the ship models and even add a few more and change the positions and turn the shuttle craft and the Klingon bird of pray around so they face you, I left mine original but if I do make a change it's always something that I can change back to it's original condition. Nothing wrong I guess with adding bling but to me even if it's done tastefully, to me it's the same as defacing the game and lowering the games original value. But if it's your thing go for it.
The only thing I have plained for my STLE is installing a ColorDMD and adding speaker lights which I thought Stern had already done like the one they had on the factory tour. It clearly had LEDs in the speakers.

#133 10 years ago

Of course you thumbs down and attack me and not the person who initially said it

No. You were just piling on, and added a bunch of other stuff on the LE that you thought it was "better then".

Saying things like the refinery apron is "better then" the "disco ball thing" isn't even remotely close to what The Dude and Hwawonyu were saying. Seriously. Not even close!

And to use the phrase "disco ball thing" makes it even more clear that you are doing nothing more than bashing the LE, regardless of your weak attempts to say that's not the case.

Give me a break.

#134 10 years ago

Did my part yesterday. Had a friend over in the morning. He had played it before but a few more games helped, he bought a premium today.
Then last night I had two friends over and today one got a refinery edition and the other bought an LE.

#135 10 years ago

Star Trek LE - Disappointed...... that I don't have one!

Someone want to make me a smoking deal on one

#136 10 years ago

Rob, Jim
The apron really is that cool. I would not downgrade from an LE for it but hopefully they can modify the LE version because it's amazing. Instead of the les squares the triangles have emblems and the whole thing lights up In red or blue based on the mode. Plus the entrance lights.
Again, not an Le and hopefully can be added but this one feature is really cool.

#137 10 years ago

Your post made me want one more, thanks. I like to be different, I like bells and whistles. . Think the cheapness of the plastic toy is the least of my concerns. If the shots are fun and the sound is good and lighting rocks I think it may be worth it to me. It actually looks like a game that needs very little in terms of modding.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Did my part yesterday. Had a friend over in the morning. He had played it before but a few more games helped, he bought a premium today.
Then last night I had two friends over and today one got a refinery edition and the other bought an LE.

Geez, I want to hang in your group. 3 people drop $20,000 on pinball machines in 24 hours after only a few games? Those are some deep and open pockets.

#139 10 years ago

It's the game. It's that good ; )

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Agree. I think they got lucky with STLE in that SR has made a great game. Doubt they will sell 500 Mustang LE at these prices. Prediction - Mustang LE will be at least $500 cheaper.

Has to be cheaper as mustang owners are cheap

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Frank F., leave that body, stop possessing innocent souls and go back to RGP...

Man you scared me... I thought FF had managed to finally sneak in here. That's when you do shout "fire everything!"

#142 10 years ago

Sorry guys I didn't mean to start any drama the gameplay on all models is a blast and that's what is really important. Didn't sound like Robert was going to buy an LE or Premium so I was just trying to tempt him with a Refinery Pro.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That's why I got the chrome one. Gonna need thesewhen ya come over to play my Pro.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

Has to be cheaper as mustang owners are cheap

Thems is fight words mister.

#145 10 years ago

Trekkie owners fighting with each other over which model is best, classic

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Trekkie owners fighting with each other over which model is best, classic

Epic battle!
image-381.jpgimage-381.jpg

#148 10 years ago

Dave and Dude, I have no problem with what you guys were saying. You were giving your opinions on a apron mod and comparing it directly to the apron on the LE. QG simply continues to feel like he always has to add his 2 cents in on any post that makes *anything* other than the LE look better.

But more specifically, in this case, he went further by comparing an *apron* mod to the "disco ball thing" (derogatory).

And even if he said "the star field projector", how the hell do you compare an apron mod to the star field projector?

Pathetic.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And to use the phrase "disco ball thing" makes it even more clear that you are doing nothing more than bashing the LE, regardless of your weak attempts to say that's not the case.

It's because, despite the fact that pin is the greatest pin ever, the "disco ball thing" sucks.......but I guess everything about the greatest pin ever is the greatest?

Yeah so what, I'm jealous I don't have one.

Get over it

#150 10 years ago

Guys and their aprons!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-disappointed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.