Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I thought hitting warp 9.9 starts a two ball multiball? From the pro tutorial the only complaint was it started without any ball save which seems a bit mean.

It just spits out an extra ball. No mode is started.

#52 10 years ago

After playing close to 50 games on my STLE the warp shot really needs to be addressed in the new code, if you want to score descent 100M - 150M range you really disregard the warp shot because it is very dangerous, a lot of the time I just let it go to the right flipper because the shot isn't worth it. There needs to be more scoring on hitting the warp shot multiple times (like it does on the super skill shot, very nice touch there Stern), and there need to be a significant reward/mode for hitting 9.9, that is 18 shots to complete, it isn't easy even when you are using it as your strategy. I have said before that the 9.9 shot should stay as well for the entire ball then reset once you drain back to warp 1. I am not talking about making it the total focus, but at least make it so the risk/reward is worth it and that it becomes a shot in the game that is actually worth going for, other than the pure enjoyment of rattling off 6 in a row

#53 10 years ago

Since I expect we're all thinking it, I'll be the first to admit:
I may never see warp 9.9 while playing this machine.
9.1 or maybe 9.2 so far is my record I think.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

There needs to be more scoring on hitting the warp shot multiple times (like it does on the super skill shot, very nice touch there Stern)

I'm guessing that is a bug. You talking about holding the right flipper on launch then looping the warp skill for 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 M? Agree that is a nice touch but I doubt it is intentional.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I'm guessing that is a bug. You talking about holding the right flipper on launch then looping the warp skill for 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 M? Agree that is a nice touch but I doubt it is intentional.

Hmm, well I hope they keep it, it has memory in ball 2 and 3 so I believe it would be a part of the code, but hey been wrong before...

Quoted from Chambahz:

Since I expect we're all thinking it, I'll be the first to admit:
I may never see warp 9.9 while playing this machine.
9.1 or maybe 9.2 so far is my record I think.

Your right it isn't early to do best I did was 9.8 but again I never really shoot for it either unless I have a multiball or ball save cause it is damn dangerous... Such a fun shot just wish they would incorporate it more...

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

How could something like that not be intentional?

#57 10 years ago

How many games award repetitive skill shots? So if I hit the lit skill shot lane on Metallica, the bumper pops it back through I get two skill shots?

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How could something like that not be intentional?

I think the score increasing is intentional (like how any skill shot or super skill shot does this ball to ball) but I agree with Keith that it's potentially a bug where the skill shot counter is incrementing, but the skill shot isn't turning off. I think the 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 mil are correct for each incremental skill shot, but are probably meant to be collected once per ball.

Overall I'm sure we're in agreement that there needs to be more reward for warp ramps with how difficult and dangerous it is. I think looping it at 2+ mil is a bit excessive, but I don't see why I would risk the shot past collecting my EB unless I need it for a mode completion.

Aside from the super skill at 1.5 mil (if the bounce is even right), I prefer hammering the lock targets (usually unintentionally haha) or Vengeance with ball saver going (especially Vengeance since it's not a valid switch). Getting into MB is far more lucrative and safer for long term play than warp ramps.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I think the score increasing is intentional (like how any skill shot or super skill shot does this ball to ball) but I agree with Keith that it's potentially a bug where the skill shot counter is incrementing, but the skill shot isn't turning off. I think the 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 mil are correct for each incremental skill shot, but are probably meant to be collected once per ball.
Overall I'm sure we're in agreement that there needs to be more reward for warp ramps with how difficult and dangerous it is. I think looping it at 2+ mil is a bit excessive, but I don't see why I would risk the shot past collecting my EB unless I need it for a mode completion.
Aside from the super skill at 1.5 mil (if the bounce is even right), I prefer hammering the lock targets (usually unintentionally haha) or Vengeance with ball saver going (especially Vengeance since it's not a valid switch). Getting into MB is far more lucrative and safer for long term play than warp ramps.

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear. The skill shot doesn't shut off. Though actually I think it would be great idea to implement but getting 10 mil on a skill shot is really imbalanced on this game.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear. The skill shot doesn't shut off. Though actually I think it would be great idea to implement but getting 10 mil on a skill shot is really imbalanced on this game.

Ahhhh skill shot is perfect don't mess with it, worth the risk/reward there!!!!! Just make the normal warp ramps worth a bit more especially if you do them consecutively, and do another mode when you reach a 9.9 warp, then that would entice me to shoot for these shots... I would also set the extra ball at default 7 warp shots but that can be done internally in the machine.

#61 10 years ago

Got ya. That makes sense.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

How many games award repetitive skill shots? So if I hit the lit skill shot lane on Metallica, the bumper pops it back through I get two skill shots?

Junkyard has the super skill shot right scoop over and over. Only one I can think of at the moment. Of course you have to plunge the spinner to get that 'reward' first to even attempt it, and that is only when it is one of the options.

I get your point on the warp ramp, but I am not going to guess at what a programmer intended.

Sometimes the super skill shot via holding down the left flipper does not get rewarded, and I have also ran into a couple of other bugs or oddities in the game.

Good discussion!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

You talking about holding the right flipper on launch then looping the warp skill for 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 M?

So currently, is there a cap on the repetitive warp ramp skill shot? Or does it just keep going up 300K until you finally miss?

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

So currently, is there a cap on the repetitive warp ramp skill shot? Or does it just keep going up 300K until you finally miss?

Assuming the warp ramp is considered a valid switch, theoretically it would go on until the super skill shot timer expires. Whether this is the case or not I do not know.

#65 10 years ago

whodunnit (skulz got junkyard)

Quoted from sk8ball:

#66 10 years ago

Since hitting the warp ramp is a skill shot be cool if the chase lights pulsed to tell the player "hey shoot this shot for big points" love those chase lights they need to be used more!

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Quoted from SolarRide:

Was only thinking of games I actually would want to play

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

If those games have it, it's even more reason to think it's a mistake in ST haha

#69 10 years ago

Actually, the prototype JY software was great. The DOG was capped (around 1M or so) and it had T2's payback time (except at 500K not 5M like in T2) as one of the time machine awards. So Outer Space was actually meaningful (it eventually gets dwarfed by the DOG in later software). Inexplicably, the video mode cap was lifted in later revisions and Payback Time was removed ???

To each their own, I like whodunnit. Especially the early software where you could steal your opponent's jackpots and they were not capped at 500M or 250M.

I hope they don't correct the ST skillshot bug Keith found when they add the additional warp awards.

If those games have it, it's even more reason to think it's a mistake in ST haha

#70 10 years ago

Assuming the warp ramp is considered a valid switch, theoretically it would go on until the super skill shot timer expires. Whether this is the case or not I do not know.

I have hit this super skill shot six times in a full game, and got it up to 3M, it does remember from ball to ball too. However, it isn't easy, one you don't always get a chance to shoot it cause the ball doesn't travel far enough, two the shot isn't easy to hit consecutively in the first place, no matter doing it once. Pretty cool risk/reward feature, probably a little too lucerative with current code IMO but on the right track for sure... Just wish the other warp shots had a escalator like this if you hit multiple ramp shot there should be better rewards...

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I have hit this super skill shot six times in a full game, and got it up to 3M, it does remember from ball to ball too. However, it isn't easy, one you don't always get a chance to shoot it cause the ball doesn't travel far enough, two the shot isn't easy to hit consecutively in the first place, no matter doing it once. Pretty cool risk/reward feature, probably a little too lucerative with current code IMO but on the right track for sure... Just wish the other warp shots had a escalator like this if you hit multiple ramp shot there should be better rewards...

I would normally agree with you but since it is also not a valid switch hit the ball saver also doesn't start counting down so there is no risk.

There are a ton of things to make this game even better such as a more score balanced repetitive warp skill shot, 4x shots ect. Here's hoping...

#72 10 years ago

What are peoples thoughts on modes, rules and scoring?

What modes stack with what? you can have a mode running and then start vengeance and have them at the same time. What other modes go together and what are peoples strategies? Like in Tron I like trying to get Clu, Light Cycle and quorra all ready before I hit the scoop to start it.

What are peoples thoughts on the best modes to start 1st, 2nd 3rd? do you finish a mode stack or a row? whats the best strategy with current 1.3 code?

I would also like to see some more sub objective style rules that pay out to some reward like what do I get if I fill all my weapons to max etc.

When the klingon multiball starts it needs some klingon VO line to introduce the mode. its all silent and just DMD animations play. really hope we get the lights out --> laser comes on --> VO plays and the mode starts.

Anyway some things I was thinking when playing tonight. Between this and TRON man they are fun fast games

#73 10 years ago

You don't really think that Stern will read these great Star Trek LE code suggestions now do you?

#74 10 years ago

They read these posts also you can always just send suggestions direct to stern

#75 10 years ago

It's well known Stern employees lurk here. (Hi!!!)

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I would normally agree with you but since it is also not a valid switch hit the ball saver also doesn't start counting down so there is no risk.
There are a ton of things to make this game even better such as a more score balanced repetitive warp skill shot, 4x shots ect. Here's hoping...

Yep you are right on the risk/reward when it comes to the skill shot as there is ball saves for sure, played last night I hit the skill shot 5 times in a row for a total of 10.5M pretty satisfying, funny thing I was not able to hit anything on ball 2 and 3... The shot is not easy but attainable... Ended up with 148M in total and GC my machine too, hit over 100M on ball one and stunk up the rest of the balls, lol... I only got to warp 8 on the entire game as I only went for warp ramps during my multiballs, I didn't even attemp the warp shot without multiball becuase if you only get it halfway it will drain on the right side, and because I have tilts on really tight I cannot push it too much to get out of it... I don't believe the game is intented to play this way but if they want players (especially in competition) to incorporate the warp shot in play they must make it more lucerative...

#77 10 years ago

Mode inserts should do something different for levels 2 and 3, maybe go a darker colour like Spiderman?

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

If ST gets turned into a great game before Met I'll lose my mind

#79 10 years ago

If Stern doesn't fix the kick back I might lose my mind. Not just a ball save when it screams past but make it functional. Otherwise my choice almost leans to the Pro even though I got the LE and love it mostly. It is just so clunky and seems sort of biffy even at slow speed balls. I am starting to wish they had left it off. Which sucks because I would love it if it worked at any ball speed. Especially because they included 5 difficulty settings for it in the adjustments which is great(ships on extra easy by the way). I set mine to medium and like it much better. I am concerned they might not be able to make it work right without 2 switches and a timing algorithm to calc. correct plunger timing. There is a big diff. between a ball which barely dribbles in and one which enters at light speed. I am getting the feeling we are going to be stuck with a biffy kickback for this reason which gets a short ball save to compensate.
A few other gripes: Where is the ball lock animations? I really miss those. I dont want just to just see words " ball x locked". Need to make this cooler for sure. Also completing the letters TREK seem to do nothing? My warp chase lights dont come on at all sometimes with warp shot. I want to see those every time a warp is increased and stay on a bit longer as others have said. Many great ideas here, love the warp M.B. at 9.9 suggestion!!!
Dont want to come accross too harsh here. I feel this could be one of the greats(top 5) with enough refinement.

#80 10 years ago

Looking at the historical Stern software updates, probably a good chance they are working towards a christmas update.

avengers 1.2 released dec 24
xmen 1.23 release dec 21
transforfmers V1.2 - December 21, 2011

#81 10 years ago

If ST gets turned into a great game before Met I'll lose my mind

completely different teams, so ST is not getting resources over MET. I'm certain MET will get its update, but ST has nothing to do with its timing.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think it would be cool if you could "charge up your shot" - so lets say you have a few of the yellow weapons inserts (or all of them) ...you HOLD the Fire Button and charge it...you'd see the yellow fade to another color (maybe to orange to red) with cool "weapons charge" sound FX, then release to get a super blast. I'm not sure what the payoff would be, but there's a risk there - taking your finger off the flipper button for a few moments to charge....I dunno, maybe a bunch more points or a Vengeance Multiplier or something.

Oh I like this, but if you cradle a ball and hold it you have 1 shot to hit the drop target or you get nothing. Make it a 2 million shot for full blast photon torpedo and make the side lights go nuts if you hit it.

#83 10 years ago

I like what I'm seeing so far with the combat between the player and the Vengeance.....but there could be a lot more.

The combat part of the game is really is where improved code could take it through the stratosphere!

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

completely different teams, so ST is not getting resources over MET. I'm certain MET will get its update, but ST has nothing to do with its timing.

I didn't say they were connected or that one had anything to do with the other. Doesn't change my statement one bit.

#85 10 years ago

Last night I had 2 balls in play for reaching Warp 9.9. I concentrated on Warp ramp shots and got back to warp 8 in 2 ball play. Has anyone reached 9.9 with the second ball in play to see if it becomes 3 ball? Sk8ball? If so I think reaching 9.9 with all 4 balls in play should open up a worm hole and suck the game right through it. I vote for that in the next update.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Looking at the historical Stern software updates, probably a good chance they are working towards a christmas update.

avengers 1.2 released dec 24
xmen 1.23 release dec 21
transforfmers V1.2 - December 21, 2011

Really hoping we see a Metallica and ST le/pro update on either Friday the 20th or the 23rd?

Now that would be a great Christmas present! I am sure the teams are cranking away at it

#87 10 years ago

Does anyone else miss the match animation with Carol? They removed it on the LE. Strange because I have seen it on the pro with 1.3 firmware. That was my favorite one, "Its me.....Carol"(complete in her under ware). It was also the only match animation complete with vocals. Can't understand why they would remove it? I love the idea of multiple match animations, the more the better. At 68 plays and I have only seen the lizard guy and Kirk with the 2 girls. I hope Stern puts Carol back in there. Even though she never said that in the movie it was a great play on how the movie shamlessly had to show some cute girl in her under ware with Kirk near by.

#88 10 years ago

I haven't seen Carol once and I'm personally bummed . hopefully it will come back.

#89 10 years ago

Well, as ever future code updates will determine greatness of this game. For me, this is the best LE since the ACDC LE.

The code makes sense right now but needs a ton of refinement, unlike MET code which is AWOL and XM which never made sense!!!

#90 10 years ago

I've found a bug, I emailed but posting here as well for the Stern guys:

Sometimes the ball eject ricochets the ball back into the trough, and the game does not locate the ball. Even ball search does not find it. All that is left is to power down the game, or open the coindoor and eject another ball.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've found a bug, I emailed but posting here as well for the Stern guys:
Sometimes the ball eject ricochets the ball back into the trough, and the game does not locate the ball. Even ball search does not find it. All that is left is to power down the game, or open the coindoor and eject another ball.

That's not necessarily a bug.

You need to make sure that the ball is actually seated completely down in the trough when it ricochets back into the trough. It may be sitting on top of the ball that had taken its place, in which case the optos will not locate the ball.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's not necessarily a bug.
You need to make sure that the ball is actually seated completely down in the trough when it ricochets back into the trough. It may be sitting on top of the ball that had taken its place, in which case the optos will not locate the ball.

Sounds like the stacking opto isn't working.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I didn't even know there was a stacking opto.

#94 10 years ago

ok, thanks, I'll check for an opto there that isn't detecting the ball.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

My thought as well.

Quoted from RobT:

I didn't even know there was a stacking opto.

Check out the ball trough test and you'll see an extra opto in the trough for a stacked ball. Doesn't mean it's working in ST specifically but it's probably the classic Stern trough opto fun.

#96 10 years ago

I have a Pro and once I updated to 1.3 the Carol match does not come up anymore. Just the lizard guy and Kirk with two chicks.

#97 10 years ago

Generally, if the stacking opto is dead, you get second balls ejected and ball drain sequences when in play. Its easy to test in the switch test menu though.

#98 10 years ago

Getting warp 9.9.

How about a classic call out, Captain, she's gonna blow' and then every RGB flashes red and the shaker goes insane!

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Getting warp 9.9.
How about a classic call out, Captain, she's gonna blow' and then every RGB flashes red and the shaker goes insane!

that sounds cool , maybe karl can do that one

#100 10 years ago

I have a Pro and once I updated to 1.3 the Carol match does not come up anymore. Just the lizard guy and Kirk with two chicks.

I played a Pro that had 1.0 with the Carol match animation. I played it later and something made me think they had updated it to 1.3. I'm pretty sure I saw Carol that time too so it must still be on 1.0 firmware, my mistake. I just don't see why they would remove that one. Its little touches like that that give the game more character.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-code-suggestions-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.