Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vtec16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6363_SPins_0928f.jpg
6363_SPins_0931f.jpg
6363_SPins_0929f.jpg
BASEPOSTER-2-600.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Come down and have some pizza and beer with us.

When: Wednesday 10/16. 7 PM start time. You can enter as late as 8 PM, but you will be slotted into the next available game.

Where: Hi-Life Pizza in downtown Oakland, 400 15th Street. It's at the corner of 15th and Franklin Streets. The sign says "Rico's Diner". DO NOT BE FOOLED. Games are upstairs.

For BART, take 12th street exit and it's a five minute walk.

Parking: Meters run until 6. Street parking is usually not bad in this area.

Entry: $5 to enter the tournament, and then quarters for your games.

Who can play: This event is open to all players, ages and skill levels.

Format: "One and Done" qualifier. You get one qualifying attempt on Star Trek. The top 8 overall and top 8 novice qualifiers will play in the Finals.

Am I a novice?

1) Have you ever won Novice Division before, such as California Extreme?
2) Was your WPPR rank ever better than 500?
3) Did you ever finish top 3 in a pinball league, or top 3 in an Open Tournament such as CA Extreme?

If the answer to all of those is 'NO', then you qualify for Novice.

What if I qualify for novice but qualify in the top 8 Then you play in the Open Final with the big dogs and you have a shot at some cash.

WPPRs: This tournament will award world pinball player ranking points (wppr) at 1/3 value.

How is cash paid out?:

Top Woman: $10
5th - 8th: $10
4th: 10% of remaining pot
3rd: 20%
2nd: 30%
1st: 40%

1st - 3rd Novice and Open, and top woman will win plaques. Top Open, Novice and Woman will win a translite as they are available. There will also be some raffle prizes.

Obvious: Please don't bring in outside food or drinks.

What Other Games are at Hi-Life?: Current line-up is Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Dracula, Indiana Jones (Williams), Radical, Batman Dark Knight, Fish Tales and Attack from Mars.

I don't like tournaments. Can I come hang out and play ST after the tournament? Sure.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/551666091554873

BASEPOSTER-2-600.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Bromance...NICE!
EDIT: Although that would technically be "brosest."

#3 6 years ago

Sweet! Can't wait this will be fun! I will be there for sure

#4 6 years ago

Can I go there this Sunday and just play the Star Trek?

Thanks.

Robert

#5 6 years ago

Trumer Pils is a sponsor? Will there be beer deals?!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Trumer Pils is a sponsor? Will there be beer deals?!

Yes, Trumer is a sponsor. I expect there will be beer deals and swag, but I just emailed the venue to try and get more specifics.

In addition, the venue will kick in coupons for either a drink (beer/wine/soda) or a slice that I'll be raffling off. Sometimes Pinball Mafia and Pacific Pinball Museum donate shirts. And if Stern sends more than three translites I'll likely raffle off one of those. I'll just have to see who hooks us up and with how much...

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Yes, Trumer is a sponsor. I expect there will be beer deals and swag, but I just emailed the venue to try and get more specifics.
In addition, the venue will kick in coupons for either a drink (beer/wine/soda) or a slice that I'll be raffling off. Sometimes Pinball Mafia and Pacific Pinball Museum donate shirts. And if Stern sends more than three translites I'll likely raffle off one of those. I'll just have to see who hooks us up and with how much...

Awesome!

#8 6 years ago

When exactly will the game be on location?

#9 6 years ago

How did you get bold text in your post??

#10 6 years ago

I'm gonna do my best to make it. I doubt I'll do very well at all in the tourney, but I'm sure I'll still have a blast!

#11 6 years ago

I really want to go to this but damn, a Wednesday. A weekend would work better for outta town folks.

#12 6 years ago

I'll be there.

No excuse really, I live a short walk away and I already have a Trek in my apartment. Will my 13 days of advance experience rocket me to an easy victory?

hint: It will not. I'm going to be crushed.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Good question hate for them to get so many calls regarding this. Is there an ETA on when it will be on location?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I'm waiting to hear from the Op, who in turn is waiting to hear from the distributor. I can tell you the OP is a hardcore pinhead and will want it out there so he can play it and get it earning right away.

For ACDC, the games arrived the day of the tournament. For Metallica, it showed up about a week before. I will post here and on my site as soon as it shows up.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

How did you get bold text in your post??

You type STRONG inside of html tags. Google "using the strong tag html" if you're unfamiliar with this.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from BillE:

I really want to go to this but damn, a Wednesday. A weekend would work better for outta town folks.

I originally wanted to do it Friday or Saturday but there is already a tournament scheduled out in Benecia on Saturday so as a courtesy I had no choice but to do it midweek.

#17 6 years ago

STAR TREK is now at Hi-Life Pizza for your fun and strategizing pleasure. A second ST will be brought in for the launch party this wednesday. The one currently installed will be adjusted the night of the launch to ensure a fair challenge for all.

I'll be checking out ST tonight after work and I'm sure there will be other locals out tonight for some play. Come hang out!

#18 6 years ago

Played last night! Echa got her initials up on it and the guy with tats is Damon who is a manager(?) at Hi-Life and pinball fan so say hey to him if you guys go - sadly I will not be able to make the launch party since I'll be at Expo in Chicago.

6363_SPins_0928f.jpg 6363_SPins_0929f.jpg 6363_SPins_0931f.jpg
#19 6 years ago

I just created an official pinside "event" which you can indicate you are attending:

http://pinside.com/pinball/events/star-trek-launch-party-oakland-ca-2013

Thanks in advance Jonny and TJ for your hard work.

#20 6 years ago

Tonight's the night, see you there.

One important detail in Spybryon's event post has changed: It's not top 8 for open but top 12.

The top 6 overall on each machine play in the Open Final (whether classed as novice or not). The next 4 who qualify as Novice will play in the Novice Final.

#21 6 years ago

Good luck everyone - sad to be missing this!

#22 6 years ago

I won't be attending but I did play the game on Saturday. I believe it's slightly off as far as leveling goes (I had at least 3-4 SDTM returns from behind the drop target)

Hopefully someone can tweak this before the tournament.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I believe it's slightly off as far as leveling goes (I had at least 3-4 SDTM returns from behind the drop target)

Hopefully someone can tweak this before the tournament.

Yeah I played it yesterday and leveling was still off resulting in a few center drains and making the warp ramp pretty tough to hit without the ball flying off of it. Also makes the right ramp a bit harder to backhand. Tilt was pretty tight which for a tourney is just fine but for location a bit too tight IMO.

Quoted from jonnyo:

Tonight's the night, see you there.

One important detail in Spybryon's event post has changed: It's not top 8 for open but top 12.

The top 6 overall on each machine play in the Open Final (whether classed as novice or not). The next 4 who qualify as Novice will play in the Novice Final.

Thanks for getting so many events planned and running them for us Bay Area pinheads Jonnyo it is much appreciated!

#24 6 years ago

Man, got screwed by my job. Have to work late on a bid, I unfortunately won't be able to swing by tonight. Sucks, I was really looking forward to meeting up and hanging out :/. Oh well, hope everyone has a blast! I'm sure I'll see some of you at the PPM meet up in Nov.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yeah I played it yesterday and leveling was still off resulting in a few center drains and making the warp ramp pretty tough to hit without the ball flying off of it. Also makes the right ramp a bit harder to backhand. Tilt was pretty tight which for a tourney is just fine but for location a bit too tight IMO.

Played it there as well. There was also a rubber missing (no doubt worn off) on right post of the warp ramp, w/ a lot of rubber wear on other rubbers in that area. Instead of bouncing off the rubber and possibly making the ramp, it smacks metal on metal launching the ball in the air. The game was set up too tight yesterday, I agree w/ the Dude.

All that said I really really enjoyed my time w/ this pin. It's fun, fast, great sounding, and lighting is next level for a pro model. The code while not complete was nice. The enterprise looks great and it bucks hard. I love when the ship launches the ball super fast back at you during muiltiball. I could see owning this pin, I think it's a winner and will only get better w/ updates.

#26 6 years ago

Good times, good times.

It was awesome meeting folks from the local scene. Getting second place wasn't bad either.

#27 6 years ago

There was a lot of great games played, and the final round could have gone to any of us, but I got lucky and squeezed out the win. I can't believe how much the scene is growing in the Bay Area. The last few launch parties have been packed, the new SF league is crazy, new tournaments are popping up every other month, and lots of new faces.

#28 6 years ago

Congrats Chris! What was your highest score on ST?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Played it there as well. There was also a rubber missing (no doubt worn off) on right post of the warp ramp, w/ a lot of rubber wear on other rubbers in that area. Instead of bouncing off the rubber and possibly making the ramp, it smacks metal on metal launching the ball in the air. The game was set up too tight yesterday, I agree w/ the Dude.

Is the machine playable the way it is, has it been fixed...or should one wait until some of the items noted are corrected?

Thanks.

Robert

#30 6 years ago

That's so awesome!

#31 6 years ago

CMH seemed to score in the 30-40 million range, game after game. Really impressive, especially on the tougher of the two machines.

And his last game, he could have just plunged ball 3, scoring just shy of 40 million on 2 balls.

I think my highest score of the night would have lost to his lowest. So with that said, I was happy to take 3rd for sure.

#32 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone who came out! We got 60 players. Trumer gave us free beer. Someone broke the Grand Champion plaque and then Collins fixed it. Someone lost a Passport and then found it under a car. When I gave the Novice 2nd guy his plaque he said, "Eh, mine are better". Cute girl asked to play a casual game in the middle of the tournament and I said 'no' (she was with a guy = no dice). People showed up in Star Trek outfits and one Star Wars outfit (??). Second game didn't show up till 6:20 cause Operator was eating Macaroni and Cheese. Molly Atkinson came up from LA. Julie Gray came down from Seattle. Four women made the playoffs. Registering players and girl says she's 'Cat Fox', said I need real name for IFPA, said that is her real name. Gratuitous moon landings between ST players and Damien's butt. Lautmann wants to put his soggy beer glass in my tourney box, Willmarth beats him off with a stick.

So it was a pretty typical tournament.

Thanks to Kenley, John, Josh, Eugene, Dylan, the other Josh, Devon and others for all the help.

I'll have full results up in a day or two on my site: pinballbayarea.com

Molly Atkinson - Women's Champion

Tim Harrison - Novice Champion

Chris Harkins - Grand Champion

#33 6 years ago

That @jonnyo was an epic summary.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Is the machine playable the way it is, has it been fixed...or should one wait until some of the items noted are corrected?
Thanks.
Robert

I would say if you really want to see the machine in person go and see it either way. The place is great to grab a beer eat some tasty pizza, play ST and other pins/arcades upstairs. I would prefer the table to be a little less tight and have all the rubbers but I don't regret going at all. I really like the machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,900 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Upper Freehold, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside