(Topic ID: 286236)

Star Trek: How to access the center lane optos?

By fkane

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by TwilightZone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So after much troubleshooting, it seems opto#33 on my Star Trek LE from Stern is toast. I have a replacement part, but I can't get to the dang thing to replace it.

It's the receiver opto just in front of the ball lock magnet in the center lane. I came across a post from someone saying he "just" removed the alpha ramp that's blocking access to the screw holding the opto in, but how the heck can you get that off? I unscrewed everything I could on it, but it's still held on by screws that are underneath other features, or by bolts where the nut is totally inaccessible. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to disassemble the entire thing and put it back together... surely there's a trick to this, right?

#2 1 year ago

Just took it apart myself. Nightmare game to disassemble especially the left side.. I had to take off the left ramp then the warp ramp. That might do it in your case.

Matt

#3 1 year ago

Yeah, you have to disassemble most of the game to get to that stuff. Lotsa fun

#4 1 year ago

Well, I did it... for others with the misfortune of needing to replace these optos, I found a low-profile 90-degree screwdriver and a magnetic stick to be essential tools.

This in particular saved the day: amazon.com link »

Aim to just unscrew the opto board from its plastic bracket and just replace the board - unscrewing the bracket is next to impossible. But with that screwdriver you can get it out with minimal disassembly.

1 year later
#5 4 months ago

Resurrecting the thread and hoping for some advice. I'm in the unfortunate position of needing to replace the rear left opto in the vengeance lane. Appears all ramps have to be removed to get to that opto. To remove left ramp, appears I need to remove warp, and in order to remove warp I need to remove the right ramp.

I'm trying to figure out how the warp ramp comes out. It goes to the back and through the back panel. Unlike other games I've worked on with ramps that go to the back the rear panel doesn't lift out of place so the ramp can be removed. Any tips?

#6 4 months ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Resurrecting the thread and hoping for some advice. I'm in the unfortunate position of needing to replace the rear left opto in the vengeance lane. Appears all ramps have to be removed to get to that opto. To remove left ramp, appears I need to remove warp, and in order to remove warp I need to remove the right ramp.
I'm trying to figure out how the warp ramp comes out. It goes to the back and through the back panel. Unlike other games I've worked on with ramps that go to the back the rear panel doesn't lift out of place so the ramp can be removed. Any tips?

I no longer own a Stern Star Trek, but I had to change out the Vengeance optos on my Premium about a year and a half ago. As far as I recall, I didn't have to remove any ramps - just the Vengeance ship and some plastics. Unfortunately, the entire process was a PITA nonetheless.

I think I pretty much reused the directions to do so that Zitt had provided to install his pop bumper caps (one is partially under the Vengeance if I recall correctly). You might try contacting him.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I no longer own a Stern Star Trek, but I had to change out the Vengeance optos on my Premium about a year and a half ago. As far as I recall, I didn't have to remove any ramps - just the Vengeance ship and some plastics. Unfortunately, the entire process was a PITA nonetheless.
I think I pretty much reused the directions to do so that Zitt had provided to install his pop bumper caps (one is partially under the Vengeance if I recall correctly). You might try contacting him.

I have to change the opto on the opposite side. I can see how I would get access to the optos on the right. It's the left I'm struggling with.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!