P1020917.1.JPG
STC.jpg
STB.jpg
STA.jpg
P1040193.jpg
P1040190.jpg
P1040182.jpg
P1040183.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider part_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#554 10 years ago

Looks really good so far. Might be my first Pin. Depends how the Premium holds up to the Hobbit. Can't afford one until next year, so I have the benefit of time to see which one I like....but I'm liking what i'm seeing so far on Star Trek!

#604 10 years ago

I would think if the LE somehow magically had an LCD, then the Premium would have to also, no? Don't those two historically share the same code?

Just musing......

#616 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Totally disagree with you there IMO the premium looks better than the LE. I'm not too crazy about how the LE looks myself. To each their own guess its good that they have a few models to give us options.

Another reason why the Premium appeals to me on this one. No crazy and IMO uwarranted price increase like the LE. I mean I like lit side armor but not enough to put an extra $1500 on it.

IMO, side armor is the only thing better about the LE. Like you, not enough for $1500. Trim can be painted, and the side armor may become a mod from someone later....all less than $1500.

Premium has by far the best side art.

Premium for me.

#631 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Hmm well it's all really a personal taste. Personally I wish I liked the Premium better, it would sure save me some money. However I really prefer the overall LE package.
You may be able to get most of the LE upgrades after market but you can bet they won't be cheap. I don't think anybody will want to cut out the inside of their side cabinets for the inside LED cabinet strip. However Lets look at what the Premium owners may be paying for the LE upgrades if they CHOOSE to buy them aftermarket.
Now these prices are just MY GUESS but we all know that aftermarket pin parts are not usually cheap. Look at the $250 video game mod for Tron. Hard to make great product, but not cheap.
Side armor legs & lock bar w/ blue powder coat, cut-out artwork & animated LED backlighting $450
Steel speaker panel ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- $150
LED strips cut out of side panel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- $50
Backglass----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- $250
Shaker Motor--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$200
LED Illuminated 6" Steel Star Trek Emblem on backbox---------------------------------------------$200
TOTAL--- $1300 and you still have to pay for shipping +$100? and you have to take the time to install the parts. Of course, this is if you choose to buy all of these parts and IF they become available.
This is NOT for all those people who don't want the extra bling, we get it. But for me, this one time it's worth it. I usually don't care about the bling but for me this bling is really cool and the best overall package available.

I only mentioned the side armor as the upgrade I would like.

#632 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

None of you pre-order guys are concerned by that Wizard Mode video?
Trim chasing lights, a Spencer gifts laser show, art package, blah, blah.... if I had one of these things pre-ordered then the *software* would have me extremely worried at this point.
Not to spoil the wizard mode, but you might want to check out that Wizard Mode vid, esp if you've already reached Portal, Battled for Cybertron, etc.
Software would be my first, second and third concerns if I was ordering a ST. Just sayin' I'm someone who ordered an XM and got rid of it because of the software. I went forward with Metallica because of Lyman. But ST would have my (ahem) spidey-sense tingling if I had money down on it...

All that can be fixed with code updates. The physical part of the Pin, (Ramps, flow, etc) is solid.

#638 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Well obviously, it's a recycled layout so of course it's going to shoot great. And yes, software can be fixed down the road (*can be* is the key phrase).
I'm sure the wizard mode will be dressed up eventually with different display effects, but it's still a recycled wizard mode at this point, and I doubt the core of the wizard mode rules are going to change much. Big letdown.

The entire thing, not just the wizard mode, can be changed, updated, improved through software. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

#639 10 years ago

I agree if they were going with red they should of went with a much darker tone IMO. Dark blue would look even better.

I'll paint my Premium some day when I'm bored. Easy enough mod to do!

#641 10 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

We are still working on the replacement colors for the Premium machine (need to see a machine is person)... We are going with a nice pearl blue for the Pro also we will be offering lots of mods for these machines...still developing and testing them.

#644 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea...but will it turn into bland TF 'Roll out/AHM' wizard mode or awesomeness Xmen Danger Room? Or perhaps a little of both with Assault on the Heli-Carrier? Or worse....and just say "wizard mode' Yay for wizard mode...are there wizards in Star Trek?

It will get a 2.0 Lyman polish that will knock our socks off! Steve will keep on Stern about updates.

#646 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Uh....I think we have better odds of getting an LCD than that

LOL!

Who knows?

#648 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Yea, sorry I was on a roll.

It happens to the best of us!

#679 10 years ago

The LE's and Premiums share the same code. One can't have an LCD (or new system) without the other.

That being said....it's more likely they will be an EM than an LCD this time!.

#682 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

They may be secretive, but they do always announce new hires. So I do believe we'd be able to catch wind of a new graphic team when that day comes. Today is not that day. Nor at expo.
Also, in another thread, there was talk about an ACDC being put on location running the new bus system as a test. And guess what, it's still a dmd. Time to get over the rumors.
JJP will have to be producing 3 titles a year and threaten a serious dent in Stern to really shake things up. Right now it looks like ST will easily outsell WOZ by a huge margin, and think of all the titles Stern has released since the WOZ announcement.

Curious. Since JJP has no Pro equivalent price point, it would be interesting to see if ST Premium/LE outsells WOZ/WOZLE. I'm assuming the bulk of Stern's sales remains, even with the new Premiums, from their Pro models.

#685 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm sure Stern would love to sh!tcan the Pro line, focus on the higher end stuff. That alone could be the reason for slow movement away from dmd and small steps forward. The good news for us is they still make very compelling Pro models.

Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Stern's main business is selling to operators so the pro models are key for locations at a reasonable price. The home market with LE editions is secondary.

I think the asecndence of the Premium/LE/home market over the pros will happen after Gary retires. He's still from the generation of routed machines and operators. That market most likely won't return to its glory days. It would appear Gary is grooming Gomez to take over for him.

#700 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are 2 assumptions here I simply don't agree with.
1. JJP can survive through 2015 on the high-end collector market (and some ops), and will generate enough profit to fund R&D for 2-3 titles a year.
2. WoZ out-earns Stern pins 2 to 1.
Let's see how WoZ is doing in a year, when there's nothing new from JJP to replace it yet.

WOZ with an LCD will still look new next year if Stern hasn't put one out yet!

#728 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Guys LCD does not make a game you play the PLAYFIELD last time I checked

Then DMD's aren't necessary either. Let's go back to lighted scoring in the backbox.

Technology moves on......

#731 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

That would make diagnostics and adjustments hard to implement...

So you're saying there is a use for technology? Thank you for proving my point.

#764 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's SR's last design for Stern, he is becoming a "free agent" and going to work for JJP....

He's already a free agent.

Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but Steve doesn't work for Stern directly. He sells his designs through Steve Ritchie Productions to Stern.

I believe Pat Lawlor worked in a similar manner for Stern.

Borg has been there since the Data East days. I assume he is a direct employee, but again, if anyone knows better, feel free to chime in.

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That was the old days. There is no more SRP....24 was the last "freelance" SRP project. Steve is a Stern employee & lives in IL now.

Gotcha. So he wasn't really laid off from Stern, they just stopped doing business with SRP? Then, after a couple of years, Stern hired him back directly?

I had heard Steve talked to JPP, and talked to Stern, and decided to through his lot in with Stern again.

#792 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm sure at the time Stern seemed like a logical choice. Do you really think JJP has the capital to pay? Think about it, going to move to NJ for a start up?? How many games has JJP produced? I was told by a Dealer last week 179 total as of last week, that's it!!!! That's not much of a production for what 7 months. Going with Stern still seems like the smart move.

All good points. I only heard the Steve talked with JJP, but choose Stern. I wasn't advocating where Steve should have gone. Only he can do that!

#850 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

» YouTube video
He hits the warp ramp 5 times in a row.

Looks like new code....

#852 10 years ago

In watching the various videos and digging through the code, it seems there are many duplicate phrases spoken both by the female computer, and Steve Ritchie as "Admiral Stevens". Does this alternate throughout the game, or is there a setting that lets you choose one or the other as the call-out voice?

#859 10 years ago

Can anyone confirm if the Vengeance ever fires back at you with a pinball? Or is it just virtual firing, using the lights straight down the middle?

And by firing back at you using a pinball, I don't mean dropping the ball limply back into play after a virtual ball lock.

#863 10 years ago
Quoted from Ilthuain:

Yeah, it fires the ball back in Vengeance mode.

Cool. Do you know which video and at what approx. time this occurs? I must be missing it.

#895 10 years ago

Seriously guys? The light show (flashers in the asteroids, over 60 color changing LED's), crashing ship, and laser star-field projector trumps a change to VUK.

#899 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Seriously? Compared to a Pro you think a better light show is worth $3K+ ??? Ok, apparently, I am an entirely different type of collector because $3K worth of bling isn't worth it to me -- I mostly care about getting the full version of game play. There are too many other things in life that are more important than spending too much time or money worrying about bling. I may spend some money on bling (shaker, etc) that enhance the game play experience, but not thousands. But hey, it's all relative, so if that amount of money is small potatoes to you, that's fine. I'm not going to make this a rich v. poor thing and whine about it. It just appears that the Pro is looking to be the better value relatively speaking. If the game play ends up significantly different, I'll stretch the budget to get a Premium.

There isn't a 3K gap between Pro and Premium. Since the VUK is on the Premium, this was never an argument about the LE only.

You don't know that the VUK has been removed. It's just a rumor. And you also haven't played a Premium yet, so you don't know if it was a good feature or not, or if whatever the designers come up with as a replacement turns out to be better.

Peace.

#904 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Dude. This is Pinside. People are definitely going to be getting their panties in a bunch regardless.

LOL!

#914 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I agree I am a little bummed this feature was removed. Now it will take the ball back to the bottom left flipper is what I have heard. Really hoping that LE owners will get something to replace this feature loss. Even though its just a wire form and not a massive feature, it changes the flow of the game and made it feel/look different then the pro.
Let's hope they add something extra special to the LE models.

Shouldn't you throw Premium in there too?

#919 10 years ago

This just in! The VUK is being replaced by an LCD.....

#933 10 years ago

Like I said earlier...we're arguing over an unplayed feature. The replacement could be, in the long term, better.

#936 10 years ago

Yeah using that logic they could take out every added feature of the Premium/LE models and it could be for the best because we haven't played it yet.

Now you're being extreme.

I'm not saying the replacement will be better, but my argument that this is all hypothetical is valid

#938 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

How does this happen at the last minute? how long has this design been in development & only now are fixing it?
Seems the pro layout is the main design & the prem/le an after thought?

That's not how Ritchie works. He supposedly designs the Premium/LE, then strips for Pro.

It is interesting.....

#940 10 years ago
Quoted from SDTM:

You are just figuring that out? The pros are always designed first and then they add stuff to the LEs. If you see the trend of XM LE, TFs LE, etc, the pros play better. The added features have mechanical issues, code issues, etc.

For Borg....not for Ritchie.

#947 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

If this is true, would they have not found out earlier the VUK didn't do the job?

It could be that the whiteboard worked good enough....but they found some inconsistent problems with it over time.

#948 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I heard they will be adding a feature to make up for it. I don't know if it will be an LE only feature or not. And from what I heard, its not a design change to the layout persay, but something to function more within the rules to indicate to the player what's happening as they 'battle' their way throughout the game.

Can't be LE only.....Premiums and LE's are joined at the hip code and playfield wise.

#955 10 years ago
Quoted from SDTM:

Ya both LEs and Premiums. Just mentioned it on the LE since they will be shipping first.

But I was quoting Eskaybee......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider part_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-game-play-video?tu=part_3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.