P1020917.1.JPG
STC.jpg
STB.jpg
STA.jpg
P1040193.jpg
P1040190.jpg
P1040182.jpg
P1040183.jpg
There are 968 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 20.
#251 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Can you check if the game is using the same sam system or if this one uses the new boardset?

l'll find out the next time I go and play it

#252 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

They need a few more programmers that write the code and not create it. Meaning; the designer and lead programmer should come up with the ideas and the backup programmers do nothing but type their bloody hearts out to implement the ideas.

I'm sure a lot of that code is heavily re-used from previous titles. Rinse, lather, repeat...

#253 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I'm sure a lot of that code is heavily re-used from previous titles. Rinse, lather, repeat...

Yet they can never seem to finish it? I don't get it?

#254 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

l'll find out the next time I go and play it

Third video coming soon??

#255 10 years ago

so uuhhmmmm.... anymore videos?

#256 10 years ago

Is the DMD in the Pro red?

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

just got back playing this at the Commonwealth Hotel in Newcastle (Aus) and had 6 games. Here are my thoughts for anyone curious / interested:
- the missions are clear with the determined RGB colour display displayed in the main arrow inserts. I am not the best player but on the first game I nearly got all six missions but missed out on completing the sixth mission - so sure there is still some code and missions to add in there to make it more challenging for the better players.
- the ramp that you hit with the top right flipper is lighting fast around to your bottom flipper and the other 2 ramps return the ball fast as well.
- I managed to destroy the vengeance Space Ship and it does a sparky action where it shakes wildly around (hence the big spring) with the rear jet parts hitting the glass but it doesn't lower near the playfield to be hit by a ball.
- I haven't seen the movie or tv series as not a trek fan but the game looks good though would of been cool to see a Space Ship in the translite instead of movie characters. If the pros weren't $6950 here in Aus I would be tempted to buy one as overall like the look, play and feel of the game.
- the dmd surround doesn't look that bad and the angle definitely improves the reduction of glare on to the glass so an improvement there.
- game looks great with mirror blades and nice action with the shaker as well - I reckon black mirror blades will look great in this game.
- the sound was great as well and sure it had a sub upgrade as had a dramatic bassie sound to the game
- there are so many features I am sure I didn't work out, discover or haven't been completed in code. One feature I was curious about and liked because it was different was the exit lane behind the top right flipper that had a flashing arrow stating - " Away Team ". You can open it up and shoot from the left flipper but didn't seem to activate something unless it was missing code or I missed a required action ????
Overall I think Stern have done well apart from the price increase.....

Thanks for the review Swinks! I am looking forward to my first plays on a Pro soon. It's nice to see a non trek fan perspective.

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree that software needs to step it up. Metallica has donkey licking code right now. Xmen is still unfinished. Avengers has parts of the game not even utilized in the code. And the biggest (only?) drawback I see in ST so far is its straightforward uninventive code.
They need a few more programmers that write the code and not create it. Meaning; the designer and lead programmer should come up with the ideas and the backup programmers do nothing but type their bloody hearts out to implement the ideas.

I mentioned this in the MET thread but figured I chime in again with it.

I sold 4 games in last 30-60 days so space/money is on my side.

Unfortunately nothing NIB is finished... Anywhere.

This means Stern's new incomplete games are now competing with their old completed games.

That's bad business when your old sales take away your new sales. Only way to fix that is to roll out legit games from the start & tidy up the stuff out there to rebuild buyer confidence.

#259 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree that software needs to step it up. Metallica has donkey licking code right now. Xmen is still unfinished. Avengers has parts of the game not even utilized in the code. And the biggest (only?) drawback I see in ST so far is its straightforward uninventive code.

Lyman should be Creative Software Director for Stern (he 'gets' pinball!), and enough programmers assigned to code/implement/debug/update the concepts he comes up with for each game (no small task!), on a reasonable release schedule. Pretty sure it will never happen, but to me it sounds like it would improve the perceived quality of Stern's releases.

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Lyman should be Creative Software Director for Stern

I could be wrong of course, but i can't shake the feeling Stern doesn't truly understand how important Lyman really is for them. Like StevenP says, he gets us. Why he isn't head of software instead of Lonny is beyond me. Lonny seems te run on automatic, and produces only standard fare code. I'm no insider, so this is purely my opinion.

#261 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What's there in Metallica now is really good, but I agree that more is needed (heck, just give us a Mystery Hole release!). I share your fear about ST code, but I'll wait for the PinballNews detailed review before I pass judgement.

#262 10 years ago

So there is no one that has hacked the Sam system and able to create rule sets and programming for existing games ?

#263 10 years ago

I love the sounds effects in this game along with the callouts. The light show in the Premiums and LEs are going to be incredible. I really like the jackpot callouts. I wonder if the upkicker in the Premiums and LEs will kick the ball to the right upper flipper?

In the last video I noticed that the destroy the drill two and three didn't have any animations. Perhaps they are working on them so they will be different than the first level?
We will see. I really hope so but not counting on it.

I have never had a problem getting my games without complete code. I would rather get the game sooner then wait for the code. I like getting 3-4 games a year to choose from rather than two. Plus It's really easy to update the code. Yes, in a perfect world it would be best to get all games with complete code but that's not going to happen. It's the way business is done with Stern AND JJP. If we waited to JJP to finish the code, we would be waiting until next year before they even start shipping. I say ship the game and give us updates as they come.

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Unfortunately nothing NIB is finished... Anywhere.

I believe the NIB MB on E-bay may be finished.

#265 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I say ship the game and give us updates as they come.

Except you have no warranty it will ever be finished (see WoF for example). And some games were sent with infamous code. X-men for example. It's indecent to sell games in that condition.

OK for later updates. Not asking for perfection at first sight (and feedback from players may help!). But at least give something to those buying the previous Stern (Metallica) before sending the next. Otherwise this is sending a bad signal to Stern (you can milk us...).

I like the way WoZ code is improving. At least JJP will have a mature product when The Hobbit comes.

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I like the way WoZ code is improving. At least JJP will have a mature product when The Hobbit comes.

If you had the option of getting The Hobbit now with unfinished code, would you take it? The only difference between Stern and JJP is that you get to play your new Stern while they're working on the code.

Quoted from jlm33:

Except you have no warranty it will ever be finished (see WoF for example).

Point taken; you have to be careful not to get stuck with an "orphan".

#267 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The only difference between Stern and JJP is that you get to play your new Stern while they're working on the code.

Huh? WOZ is now in people's homes. Isn't JJP "working on the code"? Both JJP and Stern are guilty of building machines with incomplete code. Not seeing a difference here.

#268 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Except you have no warranty it will ever be finished (see WoF for example). And some games were sent with infamous code. X-men for example. It's indecent to sell games in that condition.
OK for later updates. Not asking for perfection at first sight (and feedback from players may help!). But at least give something to those buying the previous Stern (Metallica) before sending the next. Otherwise this is sending a bad signal to Stern (you can milk us...).

You never have a "warranty" that a game's software will be "finished." I've never seen one. Nor have I seen a definition of what "finished software" in a pinball machine means. You can *always* dd stuff to any modern pin's software if you wanted to.

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

You never have a "warranty" that a game's software will be "finished." I've never seen one. Nor have I seen a definition of what "finished software" in a pinball machine means. You can *always* dd stuff to any modern pin's software if you wanted to.

A warranty or a guarantee? With Stern now advertising 6 major and 18 mini modes in this game, I do not see how they cannot complete the code at some point. Otherwise, it's blatant false advertising. There would be repercussions.

#270 10 years ago

I wish we could call a truce. I am so very tired of reading anti-Stern and anti-JJP posts on Pinside. There are days when it makes me want to drop out of the social side of pinball entirely. In fact, both companies have done some things exceedingly well, and both need to learn from each other. It is all to our benefit as consumers that there is now competition. Surely, one reason for the high expectations for Star Trek was the belief on the part of many that Stern would elevate its game in response to WOZ. At the same time, Stern's ability to churn out games and to keep to a schedule (with games if not with code) should put pressure on JJP to improve its business model (etc.).

For the record, I have a WOZ and have ordered Star Trek. I expect to enjoy both of those pins, valuing each for what it is. I don't see this as an either/or. I appreciate both companies but also think that both companies must continue to improve. Hopefully, competition will encourage that to happen.

End of rant. Thanks for listening.

#271 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Huh? WOZ is now in people's homes. Isn't JJP "working on the code"? Both JJP and Stern are guilty of building machines with incomplete code. Not seeing a difference here.

You need to compare Star Trek to Hobbit. If I buy a ST, it's in my basement a few weeks later. If I put my money down on Hobbit, I'm waiting at least another year before it shows up in my house (and yes, the code will probably continue to mature after delivery). Now do you see the difference? Or compare ACDC to WOZ.

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I wish we could call a truce. I am so very tired of reading anti-Stern and anti-JJP posts on Pinside. There are days when it makes me want to drop out of the social side of pinball entirely. In fact, both companies have done some things exceedingly well, and both need to learn from each other. It is all to our benefit as consumers that there is now competition. Surely, one reason for the high expectations for Star Trek was the belief on the part of many that Stern would elevate its game in response to WOZ. At the same time, Stern's ability to churn out games and to keep to a schedule (with games if not with code) should put pressure on JJP to improve its business model (etc.).
For the record, I have a WOZ and have ordered Star Trek. I expect to enjoy both of those pins, valuing each for what it is. I don't see this as an either/or. I appreciate both companies but also think that both companies must continue to improve. Hopefully, competition will encourage that to happen.

Good luck with that.
All you can do is take comfort in the fact that you're open minded enough to enjoy pins from both companies. Most people on this site can only look forward to new releases from one company!

#273 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Most people on this site can only look forward to new releases from one company!

Yeah, it won't continue much longer--that is, unless I sell several of my other pins. I am right on the edge of being priced out of this market. I probably will be in the next go around. Nothing wrong with buying older pins, though. NIB is a considerable luxury.

#274 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Good luck with that.
All you can do is take comfort in the fact that you're open minded enough to enjoy pins from both companies. Most people on this site can only look forward to new releases from one company!

I think you guys confuse a lot of people upset with what they see in the ST unveiling with a more general "Stern bashing". I love so many Stern games .. but I'm more than frustrated with what I see in ST (both in the game and Stern's pricing.) In no way do I like JJP more than Stern ... I just want to see both companies making awesome games and (personally) ST has left me underwhelmed.

#275 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Good luck with that.

Unfortunately the comparison of every single Stern release to WOZ has poisoned the well for me. I don't begrudge WOZzers their fun, but there's nothing about the JJP platform that I like. I hate the starting price, hate the too-big LCD, hate the poor GI lighting and Vegas-style insert lighting, hate the mini-playfields that gobble up all the flow, and hate the theme. But most of all I hate JJP fans constantly saying that WOZ is forcing Stern to "up their game". And that will be my last comment ever on JJP - I promise! Because I'm getting tired of the bickering too.

#276 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Good luck with that.

Exactly Cham! The Woz/JJP hatred/jealousy is mind boggling to me. Its the people like myself and so many others that have purchased BOTH companies that seem to "get it". I happen to love Woz coming, made a great decision there for me and am excited about the advancement of pinball AND I will be buying pins like Ac/dc, Nib, (already have Lotr le nib, Wpt and SM) when all the code and such is finished..........IF JJP does the whole "code thing" again with the Hobbit then I will do the same thing there on future pins and wait it out until its mostly done......

My feeling, and it may be wrong, who knows, is that on pin #2, after they have had the opportunity to fix issues, establish production, code platform, etc. we are going to see a totally different outcome on #2, maybe not, we'll see, again, its what I expect from them as a consumer on the next one.......what is Stern's excuse? "The only maker of real pinball machines for the last decade plus"........

People that want to crap all over Woz and JJP and then don't demand more from Stern? Go figure, lets see how it all plays out.............

#277 10 years ago

Thanks, Swampfire. I get it. Wishing you good times with the pins you do love.

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But most of all I hate JJP fans constantly saying that WOZ is forcing Stern to "up their game".

That's your problem then.....maybe you should let go of the "hatred"

#279 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Great thought, absolutely agree. I have both purchased as well.

#280 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I love so many Stern games .. but I'm more than frustrated with what I see in ST (both in the game and Stern's pricing.) In no way do I like JJP more than Stern ... I just want to see both companies making awesome games and (personally) ST has left me underwhelmed.

There is really no point in trying to reason with the fanatics or try and explain it........If you are a fanatic then you just don't get the "underwhelmed" part....but hey, that's where the Le sales or lack thereof will tell the ultimate story...people will vote with their wallets, that simple.....

#281 10 years ago

I'm amazed at how many people pass such judgement on what can be considered the economy version of the game. That's like saying that 4 cyl car sucks. Did you drive the v8 model? No. But I wouldn't like it anyway.

#282 10 years ago

This is absolutely absurd! I dont go to a Chargers - Raiders game and cheer for both teams. Choose one and stick with it!

...I kid of course
Go Stern, JJP, Jpop, SkitB, Those European guys, Those other guys, and some more other guys!

SKB

#283 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

I'm amazed at how many people pass such judgement on what can be considered the economy version of the game. That's like saying that 4 cyl car sucks. Did you drive the v8 model? No. But I wouldn't like it anyway.

+1 Billlllliiooooon

#284 10 years ago

On the features Matrix it says:

"2-Way Deflector Ball Eject/ VUK with Wireform Tube"

for the premiums/LE's. Does this mean it can deflect the ball back towards the flippers just like the Pro PLUS it can ALSO shoot it up the warp ramp as well??

#285 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

You can't give a pass to one and not the other, otherwise you look biased. Both companies are shipping out games with incomplete code. I would be willing to bet that TH will be incomplete when it ships too. Keith can only do so much.

Quoted from jlm33:

But at least give something to those buying the previous Stern (Metallica) before sending the next. Otherwise this is sending a bad signal to Stern (you can milk us...).

Both companies are trying their best. So far it's working just fine for them.

#286 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's your problem then.....maybe you should let go of the "hatred"

IMHO you are part of the problem. Not every thread needs to become a WOZ thread.

#287 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

For the record, I have a WOZ and have ordered Star Trek. I expect to enjoy both of those pins, valuing each for what it is.

I'm in the same boat. It would be great if we got both games in November.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

for the premiums/LE's. Does this mean it can deflect the ball back towards the flippers just like the Pro PLUS it can ALSO shoot it up the warp ramp as well??

That would be cool - Congo has this feature.

#289 10 years ago

That is what I take it to mean but who knows. I wish they provided more in depth feature descriptions.

#290 10 years ago

I believe that is exactly what it does. We won't know the rules of how it will determine which way to shoot it, but another way to hit that warp ramp and get the ball to the upper flipper is fine by me!

#291 10 years ago

If it's true then this would be the first pinball machine to do this (as far as I know, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong). It's sounds like a cool feature.

#292 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

If it's true then this would be the first pinball machine to do this (as far as I know, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong). It's sounds like a cool feature.

Someone said Congo has it too. And it sounds super cool, can't wait for the LE!

#293 10 years ago

I had a question about the modes if they are just repeats drill I, II and III. Like you see in the video for the drill mission. I asked a good source and this was the answer. Pretty happy with the response as I see this game having a ton of unique modes and gameplay when its all done code wise.

"No repeats! Chapters I, II, and III are sequential and make up a Mission story line. Different dots, speech calls, the works. Some of the III's are not finished, but are functional. The requirements for each of the 18 Missions are different and will evolve over updates as soon as we can get them done."

This game is going to ROCK when its all done. The team is VERY confident in getting the games code to it's full potential so rest assured ST is going to be another top STERN pin!

It's also nice to see some story progression with the modes. That is one thing I really liked about ST:TNG the modes are little story's that the player plays through while the wizard mode is the high level story theme of the entire game.

#294 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

Rules for comparison to videos

The rule card says if you get three missions completed in a line light the "Captains Chair" for mini wizards modes. Does anybody know what happens in the mini wizard modes? Also what happens in the "Captains Chair" wizard mode?

#295 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

The best that I did was 3 in a row, however its not the speed so much but the ball bouncing onto the playfield after it exits to the ramp from behind the playfield.

This was my biggest concern about the warp ramp dropping the ball onto the Playfield and not making a smooth transition. In theory the shot sounds great and would be awesome if you could keep nailing over and over like Getaway and No fear. I had a feeling the transition would cause the ball to bounce around and was hoping I was wrong, but unfortunately RGR confirmed it.

#296 10 years ago

Someone said Congo has it too. And it sounds super cool, can't wait for the LE!

Sounds cool. Hopefully it delivers. Looking at the LE pic again; that added feature makes the left ramp return make a few turns - hopefully that doesn't cause an issue or slow gameplay. (The pro ramp is a straight return). The VuK tube shot to warp ramp also is questionable; it does feed the warp ramp, but how smooth will it be? I'm hoping for the best.

#297 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

"No repeats! Chapters I, II, and III are sequential and make up a Mission story line. Different dots, speech calls, the works. Some of the III's are not finished, but are functional. The requirements for each of the 18 Missions are different and will evolve over updates as soon as we can get them done."

very cool.

#298 10 years ago

Here is how I see the games mode progressions.

Nero = 3X unique progressive modes includes new dots SFX and rules per mode stage I, II or III
Destroy the Drill = 3X unique modes
Klingon Battle = 3X unique modes
Prime Directive = 3X unique modes
Space Jump = 3X unique modes
Save the Enterprise = 3X unique modes

Total = 18

Mini-Wizard modes = 3X complete a row of 3 to unlock mini-wizard mode. Each mode is unique to which row is unlocked.

Total = 3 mini wizard mode

FINAL Wizard mode = unlocks when all 3 other mini-wizard modes are complete and is the final wizard mode it’s a special mode to complete the game.

Total = 1 Final EPIC wizard mode

#299 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I had a question about the modes if they are just repeats drill I, II and III. Like you see in the video for the drill mission. I asked a good source and this was the answer. Pretty happy with the response as I see this game having a ton of unique modes and gameplay when its all done code wise.

This game is going to ROCK when its all done. The team is VERY confident in getting the games code to it's full potential so rest assured ST is going to be another top STERN pin!

It's also nice to see some story progression with the modes. That is one thing I really liked about ST:TNG the modes are little story's that the player plays through while the wizard mode is the high level story theme of the entire game.

If true then this is great news. Looking better and better.

#300 10 years ago
Quoted from goodgameslover:

i can't shake the feeling Stern doesn't truly understand how important Lyman really is for them. Like StevenP says, he gets us. Why he isn't head of software instead of Lonny is beyond me.

Same reason that an ace mechanic is not necessarily the best garage owner.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 968 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-game-play-video/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.