P1020917.1.JPG
STC.jpg
STB.jpg
STA.jpg
P1040193.jpg
P1040190.jpg
P1040182.jpg
P1040183.jpg
There are 968 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.
#751 10 years ago
Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

I would still like to know what the "Captain's Chair" mode is. It's emblazoned on the play field, heck, it's even listed on the flyer, but it's not in any of the videos. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Welcome to the world of new games. As with all new games; early code. Hasn't been implemented yet. The fact that its embedded on the pf and in the flyer tells me they have ideas for it. But has yet to be implemented. And that's one of the questions for potential buyers..how long will it take them to get the code right on this game? Will it be abandoned like so many other sterns? (Xmen, TF, wof, etc...)

#752 10 years ago

I played ST yesterday. And it was definitely a nice, flowing layout, with really easy intuitive shots.

I think after I owned it for awhile I could probably keep backhanding the left ramp from the left flipper until I just got tired of hitting it. Very Rolling Stones-ish quick and easy left/right ramp shots. The Warp shot is definitely cool and diverting it around is an improvement over the Venom shot. Nothing new but still a really nice shooting layout.

Nobody had any doubts that it would shoot great. Ritchie, to me, has become more of a craftsman than a creator in his later years, maybe since his Elvis or WPT designs. His last few have been retro/throwback designs, almost like a Greatest Hits album. I'd rather see him swing for the fences and try to blow us away with things we haven't seen before, than choke up and try to avoid a strike out by making contact. It sort of feels like that with the design. But again, there's no mistaking the perfect placement and flow of the shots, whether or not a recycled layout will engage me into the future is completely up to the software.

By the way, I heard a rumor that ST is Ritchie's last design. I hope that's not the case, and even if it is, that he stay involved with pinball design as a kinetic mentor. Ritchie may have run out of new ideas, but he can craft a wonderful shot without question. I think he'd best be used working with young creative designers and their new ideas, while helping to tweak their layouts into kinetically satisfying shots.

I hope that ST becomes one of the best examples of the traditional flowing fan layout with the big toy up the middle. If the software is eventually fresh, unique, deep and just mind-blowing, then this will be a winner. Putting my faith in Stern's non-Lyman rule designers (Lonnie, Waison, etc) is not a bet I'd feel safe with, however. I could definitely see myself adding a premium to my collection one day if the software gives me a reason to!

By the way, we had a ST launch party yesterday thanks to Curly at Little Shop of Games and Ron in Palm Beach! Our dear friend Rosie took 1st place in the Launch Party tourney, and I was so happy for her! I took 3rd and won a ST translite. Thanks Curly, it was a fun day!

#753 10 years ago

Funny how I haven't seen the people from Stern ever post? Have I missed those? You can't say that for JJP. Maybe they should try the Stern approach and stay away?

#754 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

By the way, I heard a rumor that ST is Ritchie's last design.

I really wish that people would stop throwing this unsubstantiated rumor around.

It isn't true.

#755 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I really wish that people would stop throwing this unsubstantiated rumor around.
It isn't true.

I heard that one out of every 100 LE's will have a vacation package somewhere in the game. It could be between the layers of the playfield or cabinet so you will have to sledgehammer the game to see.
I also heard that this will be the best game Stern has ever released until the next Stern title is released.
I also heard that when the ship crashes it will literally burn your playfield.

You get my point.

#756 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It isn't true.

Hey, I hadn't heard it before and as I stated, just a rumor... but it was from someone who didn't just make it up; he heard from Stern. And also like I said, hope you are correct and it isn't true!

#757 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Hey, I hadn't heard it before and as I stated, just a rumor... but it was from someone who didn't just make it up; he heard from Stern. And also like I said, hope you are correct and it isn't true!

It's amazing how much information you can find out just by using this new invention called email. Sometimes people will even reply!

#758 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

By the way, I heard a rumor that ST is Ritchie's last design. I hope that's not the case, and even if it is, that he stay involved with pinball design as a kinetic mentor.

It's SR's last design for Stern, he is becoming a "free agent" and going to work for JJP....

#759 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's SR's last design for Stern, he is becoming a "free agent" and going to work for JJP....

You wish!

#760 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's amazing how much information you can find out just by using this new invention called email. Sometimes people will even reply!

Playing devil's advocate, there's always the chance that what he believes to true has not been decided upon by the powers that be or relayed to him yet. I'm sure he thought his Avatar design was going to be built for a long time, too!

All kidding aside, I'm very happy to hear that Steve's saying it's not his last design. I want to see more of the WPT/Elvis creativity from him in the future! I know he has one more really unique layout in him, if not many!

#761 10 years ago

I am surprise the Star Trek code still doesn't have any release notes.
Certainly the code will be more by expo, at least I hope so.

#762 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Playing devil's advocate, there's always the chance that what he believes to true has not been decided upon by the powers that be or relayed to him yet. I'm sure he thought his Avatar design was going to be built for a long time, too!
All kidding aside, I'm very happy to hear that Steve's saying it's not his last design. I want to see more of the WPT/Elvis creativity from him in the future! I know he has one more really unique layout in him, if not many!

I love SR designs because of what you said earlier: his pins are great shooters! You can rely on that being the case. Same cannot be said for other designers, including one's that I really like, including Borg and Gomez. That said, I think Borg has done an amazing job on MET, as that is an excellent shooting pin.

As for unique layouts, I understand the desire, but as has been said many times before, there's only so much you can do with the limited space you have on a PF. Geometry dictates where most shots will go. Avengers gave us a somewhat unique design, and it gets panned by most players. So it's like you say: a risk.

#763 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Surely Stern will release a video of the prem/LE..

Of course they will. And don't call me Shirley.

#764 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He's already a free agent.

Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but Steve doesn't work for Stern directly. He sells his designs through Steve Ritchie Productions to Stern.

I believe Pat Lawlor worked in a similar manner for Stern.

Borg has been there since the Data East days. I assume he is a direct employee, but again, if anyone knows better, feel free to chime in.

#765 10 years ago

I'm sure JJP would love to get there hands on a SRP produced game, I'd bet Stern has the money to make sure that never happens.

#766 10 years ago

So when Star Wars 7 comes out.... Stern with SR or JJP???

#768 10 years ago

Sorry guys but the KING will be busy doing SUPERMAN for STERN

#769 10 years ago

with all the marvel stuff do you really see stern doing DC stuff?

#770 10 years ago

stern's partners said they will step away from super zero for awhile.

#771 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Sorry guys but the KING will be busy doing SUPERMAN for STERN

Say it ain't so......please tell me you are just screwing with us....

If its true, another superhero pin, oh no......

#772 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

there are other things out there...

#773 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

He's already a free agent.
Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but Steve doesn't work for Stern directly. He sells his designs through Steve Ritchie Productions to Stern.
I believe Pat Lawlor worked in a similar manner for Stern.
Borg has been there since the Data East days. I assume he is a direct employee, but again, if anyone knows better, feel free to chime in.

That was the old days. There is no more SRP....24 was the last "freelance" SRP project. Steve is a Stern employee & lives in IL now.

#774 10 years ago

Stern does Super Hero / Music titles and JJP does games for old ladies in their 70's and the D&D crowd. LOL!!!

#775 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Give the superhero a year off ffs... Like seriously...

#776 10 years ago

No superhero or band pins for a while please.

#777 10 years ago

Guys you forget avengers was two pins before and there two more pins before superman. ALso Superman is not your typical superhero; only the most known superhero of all time; not to mention that Ritchie is a huge SUPERMAN fan

#778 10 years ago

Steve Ritchie........The man of steel........................Balls

#779 10 years ago

Well if they are doing Superman, I really hope they do something innovative with a Krypton mini playfield, color changing LEDs modes to switch from Clark Kent mode to Superman mode, some really cool,twisting ramps with Ball accelerators, an extra ramp instead of boring pop bumpers, a third flipper lower on the playfield, kryptonite mode that lowers the voltage to the flippers, some kind of moving target, flying mode involving some interesting jump ramp like LOTR, nice dark color scheme, and an LCD for f sake

#780 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Well if they are doing Superman, I really hope they do something innovative with a Krypton mini playfield, color changing LEDs modes to switch from Clark Kent mode to Superman mode, some really cool,twisting ramps with Ball accelerators, an extra ramp instead of boring pop bumpers, a third flipper lower on the playfield, kryptonite mode that lowers the voltage to the flippers, some kind of moving target, flying mode involving some interesting jump ramp like LOTR, nice dark color scheme, and an LCD for f sake

WOW!

#781 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

So when Star Wars 7 comes out.... Stern with SR or JJP???

Either way is fine with me.

#782 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

Either way is fine with me.

SR with JJP.... Now that could be the greatest pinball ever made..

#783 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm sure JJP would love to get there hands on a SRP produced game

I would have to imagine, for a man at SR's age, possible retirement in coming years, the thought of creating a game for a new platform like JJP before he retired would be more appealing that money. Gary Stern would be aware of this though and would probably do everything he could to keep SR in the fold.

#784 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Gary Stern would be aware of this though and would probably do everything he could to keep SR in the fold.

Part of the price increase of ST was due to this?? hmm

#785 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Part of the price increase of ST was due to this??

For all we know you are right and that signature in the clear coat was charged a heavy premium for.

#786 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

As for unique layouts, I understand the desire, but as has been said many times before, there's only so much you can do with the limited space you have on a PF. Geometry dictates where most shots will go. Avengers gave us a somewhat unique design, and it gets panned by most players. So it's like you say: a risk.

I don't buy into this. I'm sure designers were saying this in the 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. "That's it! That's all we can do, there's only so much space on a playfield!" Nah....

TAV's layout is not bad, except it needed a couple of return shots instead of being so loopy! And the build is cheap, the art is dark and terrible, the plastics block the inlanes, the big toy is a ball trap from hell, etc. It seems like a half-ass design, IMHO!

I think one of the problems is we have had the same 7-8 guys designing most all the biggest production pins of the last 20 years! So when all the ideas come from 0.000000000000000000000001% of the pinball minds, it makes it appear as though "Well, that's it! That's all the shots there are, and that's all we can do, so let's keep recycling..."

I honestly just think it's past time for new designers, and that some of these designers need to either move into a mentor role (ala Kordek in the 80's/90's) or just be put out to pasture. I really want to see pinball pushed and innovated. It might be up to JJP and the boutique companies...

#787 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I don't buy into this. I'm sure designers were saying this in the 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. "That's it! That's all we can do, there's only so much space on a playfield!" Nah....
TAV's layout is not bad, except it needed a couple of return shots instead of being so loopy! And the build is cheap, the art is dark and terrible, the plastics block the inlanes, the big toy is a ball trap from hell, etc. It seems like a half-ass design, IMHO!
I think one of the problems is we have had the same 7-8 guys designing most all the biggest production pins of the last 20 years! So when all the ideas come from 0.000000000000000000000001% of the pinball minds, it makes it appear as though "Well, that's it! That's all the shots there are, and that's all we can do, so let's keep recycling..."
I honestly just think it's past time for new designers, and that some of these designers need to either move into a mentor role (ala Kordek in the 80's/90's) or just be put out to pasture. I really want to see pinball pushed and innovated. It might be up to JJP and the boutique companies...

You are bad mouthing both a unique design and recycled designs in the same breath. That is the risk with innovation, it's hit and miss.

#788 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

You are bad mouthing both a unique design and recycled designs in the same breath. That is the risk with innovation, it's hit and miss.

Yep, TAV was a risk but I pointed out the obvious problems that should've easily been avoided by a top designer. Making a unique design does not have to include the problems that TAV had which had nothing do to with layout (ball traps, cheap build, plastics designed without thought, mediocre art package, etc). Even so, TAV is an interesting layout and not unfun at all! But it could've been a lot better with some tweaking and refinement.

#789 10 years ago

I read in an interview with him that he really dislikes working on widebody's. Because it's not a natural fit for his style of game. So i doubt he will be working with JJP anytime soon then.

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That was the old days. There is no more SRP....24 was the last "freelance" SRP project. Steve is a Stern employee & lives in IL now.

Gotcha. So he wasn't really laid off from Stern, they just stopped doing business with SRP? Then, after a couple of years, Stern hired him back directly?

I had heard Steve talked to JPP, and talked to Stern, and decided to through his lot in with Stern again.

#791 10 years ago

I'm sure at the time Stern seemed like a logical choice. Do you really think JJP has the capital to pay? Think about it, going to move to NJ for a start up?? How many games has JJP produced? I was told by a Dealer last week 179 total as of last week, that's it!!!! That's not much of a production for what 7 months. Going with Stern still seems like the smart move.

#792 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm sure at the time Stern seemed like a logical choice. Do you really think JJP has the capital to pay? Think about it, going to move to NJ for a start up?? How many games has JJP produced? I was told by a Dealer last week 179 total as of last week, that's it!!!! That's not much of a production for what 7 months. Going with Stern still seems like the smart move.

All good points. I only heard the Steve talked with JJP, but choose Stern. I wasn't advocating where Steve should have gone. Only he can do that!

#793 10 years ago

The Stern choice was pragmatic. It meant you would have games on the street guaranteed. Woz is barely out the door and SR has his second game coming out in that time frame.

#794 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I was told by a Dealer last week 179 total as of last week, that's it!!!!

#795 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Seriously Man. You're just stirring the pot. Unless you have some kind of evidence, why make comments like this?

#796 10 years ago

Getting back to Star Trek, I'm stoked! I think this thread will explode next week because the LE is due for delivery Oct. 16th I was told by my distributor. Anyone have confirmed info on when the LE's will be available to purchase???

#797 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Getting back to Star Trek, I'm stoked! I think this thread will explode next week because the LE is due for delivery Oct. 16th I was told by my distributor. Anyone have confirmed info on when the LE's will be available to purchase???

They're available for purchase now, no?

#798 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No. Next week some time according to my distributor. The LE, you can buy the pro now.

#799 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Stern does Super Hero / Music titles and JJP does games for old ladies in their 70's and the D&D crowd. LOL!!!

From this point forward please do not post anymore trolling posts regarding JJP. This is a thread regarding Stern's Star Trek lets keep it that way. Please no further posts from you like this in this thread.

#800 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

No. Next week some time according to my distributor. The LE, you can buy the pro now.

Yes, you can purchase the LE now. You won't get it until Stern actually makes them, but you can definitely order it now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 968 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-game-play-video/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.