Topic Stats

• 968 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rick432
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Walter.jpg
IMG_2598.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg
WP_001186.jpg
1375676_10151895249334244_631081531_n..png
Expo.jpg
image.jpg
P1020918.1.JPG
P1020917.1.JPG
STC.jpg
STB.jpg
STA.jpg
P1040193.jpg
P1040190.jpg
P1040182.jpg
P1040183.jpg

There are 968 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.
#701 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The big difference though is that there is an end consumer that has already paid for those pins just waiting to be built and either delivered to consumer or put on route....most, the vast majority of Woz pins are already spoken for....

Yes for the most part true. It's really hard to tell how much exactly, same for Stern. We also know that some WOZ LEs have been switched to standards. But for the most part you are right.

#702 5 years ago

So... Is there no Captain's Chair mode?

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Who cares don't you all ever get sick of this circular debate? Sorry for me it is tiresome the same jabs being exchanged back and forth by the same people.

Yes, I'm sick of it and I'm pledging not to participate in it anymore. The pattern is very predictable:

1. A thread is created to talk about a new Stern. Stern fans get excited.
2. The usual suspects compare new Stern to WoZ (price, quality, LCD)
3. The other usual suspects (me, RobT, etc) rebut the JJP comparisons
4. Lather, rinse, repeat

Like I said in another thread, the slow "drip, drip, drip" of criticism from the JJP camp is getting really tiresome. But I will remove myself from this stupid cycle of stupidness.

#704 5 years ago

Why does that JJP guy keep going on Stern threads and bashing them???

#705 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

1. A thread is created to talk about a new Stern. Stern fans get excited.
2. The usual suspects compare new Stern to WoZ (price, quality, LCD)
3. The other usual suspects (me, RobT, etc) rebut the JJP comparisons
4. Lather, rinse, repeat

1. A thread is created to talk about Woz. Woz fans get excited.
2. The usual suspects compare Woz to Stern ("Woz sucks for this or that reason")
3. The other usual suspects rebut the comparisons (for the last 2 1/2 years)
4. Wash, rinse, repeat....

You guys keep bringing it up, some are anti JJP, many others like myself have zero "Bias", I'm really excited about the Nib Ac/dc sitting in my garage right now that I'm about to crack open.....

As for the comparisons in price, quality, Lcd, etc., its what the debate is all about, and it evolves all the time with announcements and progress on each pin, that is part of what the discussion board is all about, and I'd say most of the conversation, since I was a STLE preorder that canceled, is done to "talk it out" and justify or not in our minds, some stayed in, a lot more didn't for now...

Now, I'm going back to my Stern un-boxing, carry on!

#706 5 years ago

I have to agree. The exact same things happens on both sides of the street, and it is nearly always the same few people doing all the snarking. Gets old fast.

#707 5 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I Like the Airline analogy.

So we've gone from cargument to airgument?

#708 5 years ago

I wish both well and hope they can keep the doors open in spite of either of them having to raise prices.

#709 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

1. A thread is created to talk about Woz. Woz fans get excited.
2. The usual suspects compare Woz to Stern ("Woz sucks for this or that reason")
3. The other usual suspects rebut the comparisons (for the last 2 1/2 years)
4. Wash, rinse, repeat....
You guys keep bringing it up, some are anti JJP, many others like myself have zero "Bias", I'm really excited about the Nib Ac/dc sitting in my garage right now that I'm about to crack open.....
As for the comparisons in price, quality, Lcd, etc., its what the debate is all about, and it evolves all the time with announcements and progress on each pin, that is part of what the discussion board is all about, and I'd say most of the conversation, since I was a STLE preorder that canceled, is done to "talk it out" and justify or not in our minds, some stayed in, a lot more didn't for now...
Now, I'm going back to my Stern un-boxing, carry on!

I can only speak for myself, but I do not post in WOZ or JJP threads.

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can only speak for myself, but I do not post in WOZ or JJP threads.

No prob Swamp, its been one hell of a journey there in case you haven't followed, we argue, debate, piss and moan and then hug it out at the end of the day, its all good! People shouldn't take anything personally....

Ok, legs on, and set up, getting ready to ROCK!

#712 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ok, legs on, and set up, getting ready to ROCK

Rock on brother! Enjoy a great Pin!

#713 5 years ago

This is a thread regarding Stern's Star Trek please stop the back and forth regarding the two companies. Start a different thread if you want to get into that. Please all parties stop with that debate from here on out in this thread.

#714 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

They may be secretive, but they do always announce new hires. So I do believe we'd be able to catch wind of a new graphic team when that day comes. Today is not that day. Nor at expo.
Also, in another thread, there was talk about an ACDC being put on location running the new bus system as a test. And guess what, it's still a dmd. Time to get over the rumors.
JJP will have to be producing 3 titles a year and threaten a serious dent in Stern to really shake things up. Right now it looks like ST will easily outsell WOZ by a huge margin, and think of all the titles Stern has released since the WOZ announcement.

But in their facebook page, they seem to have contact with Raw Thrills, http://rawthrills.com/about-us/ located nearby the Stern campus, and specializing in video games.

Surely Stern could SUBCONTRACT out LCD hardware/software/possible video modes through them?

#715 5 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

But in their facebook page, they seem to have contact with Raw Thrills, http://rawthrills.com/about-us/ located nearby the Stern campus, and specializing in video games.
Surely Stern could SUBCONTRACT out LCD hardware/software/possible video modes through them?

And every body wants to know why pins cost 8k. Sub contractors. Crazy expensive licenses
I mean what do you expect. The fact that coin taker LEDs are the machines contracted led supplier rather than stern get on alibaba and order them them selves is an up charge.

#716 5 years ago

I'm getting tired about reading various posts speculating on LCD rumors. It makes absolutely no sense. LCDs are nothing like monochromatic DMDs. Higher refresh rates and more colors require much higher bandwidth. That's just not going to happen.

#717 5 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

And every body wants to know why pins cost 8k. Sub contractors. Crazy expensive licenses
I mean what do you expect. The fact that coin taker LEDs are the machines contracted led supplier rather than stern get on alibaba and order them them selves is an up charge.

I wasn't trying to offer an opinion as to whether or no it would be WISE to subcontract out items related to pinball design.

When reading a post that suggested that due to the absence of hires by Stern consistent with LCD development that it was unlikely they were developing LCD anytime soon, I thought that that was not necessarily true. And just chose to illustrate that by remarking that on Stern's own facebook page, they were having lunch with members of Raw Thrills, another local entertainment company which works with videogames, and that, at any time, they could subcontract that work out to them theoretically.

I have no inside information on whether they are doing this whatsoever.

I don't know if it would be a good thing or a bad thing, either.

#718 5 years ago

Guys LCD does not make a game you play the PLAYFIELD last time I checked

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I wasn't trying to offer an opinion as to whether or no it would be WISE to subcontract out items related to pinball design.
When reading a post that suggested that due to the absence of hires by Stern consistent with LCD development that it was unlikely they were developing LCD anytime soon, I thought that that was not necessarily true. And just chose to illustrate that by remarking that on Stern's own facebook page, they were having lunch with members of Raw Thrills, another local entertainment company which works with videogames, and that, at any time, they could subcontract that work out to them theoretically.
I have no inside information on whether they are doing this whatsoever.
I don't know if it would be a good thing or a bad thing, either.

My comment was not directed at you just at a frustration that star trek has seem to bring out. I am getting one though.

#720 5 years ago

Still nothing new here...... fingers crossed my Pro will be here tomorrow as it shipped today and I am not far from Chicago. I am sure it will be Monday though.......

#721 5 years ago

Look at all the cool stuff Star Trek has

1375676_10151895249334244_631081531_n..png

#722 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Maybe but take you favorite pin, tape up or disconnect the display, pull out all the LED's and bulbs and turn the sound off and tell me how long you would play the game.

#723 5 years ago

Well let me say this; if they get the code right on ST it will rock the foundation of the pinball world

#724 5 years ago

Woz is a great game, but is not a pure adrenaline rush like ST is; the warp shot is the neatest shot I have ever seen or shot before actually

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Woz is a great game, but is not a pure adrenaline rush like ST is; the warp shot is the neatest shot I have ever seen or shot before actually

Never played Black Rose?

#726 5 years ago

Or Dr Who?

Ohhhhhhh Derek

rd.

#727 5 years ago

Or High Speed. Or Rollergames.

I will say, there was ONE time during Go for the Wall I managed like 5 shots in a row. That was a freaking rush, I admit it. A good flowball experience. High Speed most you get is 2 I think, 1 for running the red light and next for getting away.

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Then DMD's aren't necessary either. Let's go back to lighted scoring in the backbox.

Technology moves on......

#729 5 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Then DMD's aren't necessary either. Let's go back to lighted scoring in the backbox.
Technology moves on......

That would make diagnostics and adjustments hard to implement...

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Well let me say this; if they get the code right on ST it will rock the foundation of the pinball world

Don't say the "C" word... that's very bad language.

#731 5 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

That would make diagnostics and adjustments hard to implement...

So you're saying there is a use for technology? Thank you for proving my point.

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Don't say the "C" word... that's very bad language

Funny!

#733 5 years ago

Can someone post some more impressions or videos??? Instead of the nonsensical banter that 95% of us skip over???

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

Can someone post some more impressions or videos??? Instead of the nonsensical banter that 95% of us skip over???

What more you need to see.. Theres 8 of them

#735 5 years ago

just played the pro today... damn!

incredible flow, probably the best one outhere.
super fast but still playable.
playfield does look a lot better in person, i like this better than photoshopped faces on the playfield.
i wasn't sure about the tilted dmd, but it makes perfect sense when you see it.
speaker panel (sticker) doesn't look that bad, could be better, i can already see a lot of mods for this.
lights/leds are great, it was close to a MET pro with incandescent, sorry MET but ST just kicked your a$$ on this and a lot of other things,the leds are definitely a step in the right direction and with code updates it gonna be even better.
i was very surprised about the sound and callout, again updates will make it better.

it's hard to make comparaison with the premium/le since it's not out yet but from what i saw i'd be very happy with a pro and since i like to mod my games and paint it the way i want this would be perfect for me.

all i can say is; code, code, code!

#736 5 years ago

Yeah the code is a major issue... The modes are boring!!!!!!

#737 5 years ago

I would expect a major update with the LEs. By then we should have a good idea of where this game is going.

#738 5 years ago

Are the LE's expected to be at the expo, or maybe even sooner?

#739 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Yeah the code is a major issue... The modes are boring!!!!!!

That warp ramp is fun as hell but worthless! Warp 9.9 should start 2x playfield!

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

That warp ramp is fun as hell but worthless! Warp 9.9 should start 2x playfield!

Agreed, I assume the future code would have to address this. Or at least I hope it does.

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

Are the LE's expected to be at the expo, or maybe even sooner?

There may an LE made and brought to expo. However, the production for consumers has been pushed back to early Novenber with Premiums following after the LEs.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Clarification

#742 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

There may be an LE made and brought to expo. However, the production for consumers has been pushed back to early Novenber with Premiums following after the LEs.

I don't think the LE will be at Chicago expo. I went by Marco yesterday to pay off my LE balance. Stern shares the booth with Marco at the show. I asked if they would have the LE there, and was told no. Only 5 Pro's in the booth.

#743 5 years ago

I don't think the LE will be at Chicago expo. I went by Marco yesterday to pay off my LE balance. Stern shares the booth with Marco at the show. I asked if they would have the LE there, and was told no. Only 5 Pro's in the booth.

Bummer if true.

#744 5 years ago

Played it yesterday.

Loved it.

Favorite part was the flow, followed closely by the amazing sounds. Really nailed it on the sounds.

If the pro is the good, the premium should be incredible.

#745 5 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Agree. Surely there could be an EB in there as well. As for the regular modes I am getting tired of the 100k, 150k, 200k etc etc etc scoring....

#746 5 years ago

Yeah I heard there may be one there but nothing solid. I bet they may bring one as a surprise but who knows.

#747 5 years ago

Surely Stern will release a video of the prem/LE..

#748 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Who is Shirley Stern?

#749 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

of course, 4 weeks after LEs are on the street. That's the way it's always gone.

#750 5 years ago

I would still like to know what the "Captain's Chair" mode is. It's emblazoned on the play field, heck, it's even listed on the flyer, but it's not in any of the videos. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, I haven't played this yet, but I would like to add a little positive blurb from someone who as of less than a year ago, didn't even know that pinball machines had "modes".

I really like how clear the rules are laid out. The fact that the shots change color in accordance with the mode only helps newer players play the machine. These things might be overlooked by veteran players, but my friends and everyone I know didn't understand how pinball machines were supposed to be played. Some even thought that the score was largely based on how long the ball stayed in play.

This is a machine I'm really excited about, even though I'm not a Trekkie, and that says quite a bit for the machine!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
There are 968 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside