Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spyderturbo007
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi, Second time poster. I have a Star Trek game I bought new about 2 years ago. I am a novice at fixing pinball machines.
    The left flipper started sticking recently (it gets stuck in the up position). I can usually hit the other flipper to unstick it. I tried a Teflon spray. It seemed to get better temporarily and then started sticking again. The game is in my home so I not a ton of use.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Well for one thing, you shouldn't ever need teflon spray for a flipper mech.

Check the coil sleeve, and the coil stop. It could also be a snagged return spring, but that's far less likely than the stop. Stern uses some really CRAP coil stops, and that's been the case for years. Good news is it's a cheap part designed to fail. Could also be that there was not enough play left in the flipper bat shaft, where the pawl grips it, and it's just now sticking because it's dirty and giving the least amount of resistance to bind up.

#3 1 year ago

You never want to use any type of lube on the game. It will just get gummed up and screw things up later.

Just to clarify, is it the flipper button that is sticking or does the button release?

Assuming it’s not the button, the first thing to do is see if it’s or mechanical or electrical. Play the game and when it happens, immediately turn off the game. If it says up, something is binding mechanically. If it drops, it’s electrical. I suspect it will stay up since you said lube helped.

Do you know how to open the game, remove the balls and raise the play field?

EDIT -> You might want to post your location. Pinball people are EXTREMELY helpful. You’d be really surprised at who will stop by and show you how to work on your own game. I’ve done it for people and I’ve had people do it for me. I’ve made quite a few friends that way.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

You never want to use any type of lube on the game. It will just get gummed up and screw things up later.
    Just to clarify, is it the flipper button that is sticking or does the button release?
    Assuming it’s not the button, the first thing to do is see if it’s or mechanical or electrical. Play the game and when it happens, immediately turn off the game. If it says up, something is binding mechanically. If it drops, it’s electrical. I suspect it will stay up since you said lube helped.

I figured I probably shouldn't have used the Teflon
    Button doesn't stick.
    Stays up when turned off.

Yes I know how to open the game up but know much about the innards.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from JeffInCO:

I figured I probably shouldn't have used the Teflon
    Button doesn't stick.
    Stays up when turned off.
    Yes I know how to open the game up but know much about the innards.

Did you see my edit above?

Anyway, go ahead and open the game, remove the balls and raise the play field. Snap a bunch of pictures of the flipper mech that’s causing issues and post up the High Res versions. You’ll want to change the drop down to the right of the Attach button before uploading them.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

EDIT -> You might want to post your location. Pinball people are EXTREMELY helpful. You’d be really surprised at who will stop by and show you how to work on your own game. I’ve done it for people and I’ve had people do it for me. I’ve made quite a few friends that way.

I live in Louisville, CO

#7 1 year ago

probably need a new coil stop, after 2 years of owning may want to do a full flipper rebuild but it is most likely the coil stop and sleeve as frax stated.

#8 1 year ago

Pics

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    #9 1 year ago

It's worth rebuilding your flippers. You can buy the kit online at Pinballlife or Action Pinball with all the parts you need. Or stop in The Game Exchange they will have the parts there too. It's easy to do and it'll make the game flip like new.

Here's a link to a thread with everything you will ever need to know about maintaining flippers.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

I'm guessing you have already been to Tilt Pinball?

#10 1 year ago

5 bucks it’s the coil stop . It gets mushroomed and causes slight burs and it catches causing it to stick. Order at least four and keep them as back up .

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Stern uses some really CRAP coil stops, and that's been the case for years.

This is what I find on the vast majority of sticking flippers on stern machines...I rarely ever use a rebuild kit as these fail LONG before the plunger ever shows any sign of wear; although I do replace the coil sleeve every time because its a cheap trow away part and there is no extra work involved with replacing it.

The dead giveaway here is is you see a little collection of brass dust at the bottom of the cabinet the coil stop is going to be bad.

Quoted from Phatchit:

5 bucks it’s the coil stop . It gets mushroomed and causes slight burs and it catches causing it to stick. Order at least four and keep them as back up .

No bet ... but not from mushrooming, the brass retaining rivet will never last long enough for that to happen.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is what I find on the vast majority of sticking flippers on stern machines...I rarely ever use a rebuild kit as these fail LONG before the plunger ever shows any sign of wear; although I do replace the coil sleeve every time because its a cheap trow away part and there is no extra work involved with replacing it.
    The dead giveaway here is is you see a little collection of brass dust at the bottom of the cabinet the coil stop is going to be bad.

No bet ... but not from mushrooming, the brass retaining rivet will never last long enough for that to happen.

Thank you for posting about the brass dust. My GOT has that under the left flipper. I was wondering where it was coming from.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

LOL, yep! First time I saw this was on the 2nd Tron I had, then saw it again on my Metallica and was just like "G-D cheapskates..."

1 week later
    #14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

-- The dust is at the bottom. Thanks. Now to figure out the exact part(s) and replace them...

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from JeffInCO:

-- The dust is at the bottom. Thanks. Now to figure out the exact part(s) and replace them...

You might want to pull it just to be sure. But if you decide to replace them, this is the part. It takes about 5 minutes to install and is just two screws.

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside