Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by imharrow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

814C4FF1-5F30-49ED-BC04-24DE974028F6 (resized).jpeg
dsc-costumevid-robot-head (resized).jpg
AdamDredd_2-333x500 (resized).jpg
everyone-is-better-than-yar-though-246347 (resized).jpg
cast2 (resized).jpg
cast (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Almost done watching the series premiere of Star Trek: Discovery. So far, I'm impressed! Let's hope this show is a success! Maybe someday, years from now we will get a Star Trek: Discovery pinball machine... one can only hope.

"Ten years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise, the USS Discovery discovers new worlds and lifeforms as one Starfleet officer learns to understand all things alien."

#2 2 years ago

cast (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

TWD star Sonequa Martin-Green was an excellent first officer. She was my favorite character so far. Saru was great, I really like how developed the characters feel from the first episode. Many shows take time to establish the characters and their personalities, this show nailed it!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Intro music and graphics were great. They learned to not do what Enterprise did in 2001.

Yea, I liked the intro too. My son loved the show too, he was mad when the first episode ended on that cliffhanger. I told him I was going to sign up right away for CBS all access so we can watch it.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

I really wanted to watch... however, I think the series will fail purely b/c of the whole ABC All Access subscription requirement (in the USA).
Too bad b/c I feel like it would be a success if on normal TV and/or Netflix (like the rest of the world).

I was talking about this tonight with my kids/wife. I think it's possible that the show could be successful because it's behind a "paid" subscription model. If you think of the reverse situation, all shows on tv are subject to ratings week to week and they are all at risk of being cancelled at any time. Maybe this approach will work? Only time will tell. Everyone subscribe, heck it's cheaper than Netflix.

#9 2 years ago

Anyone that has an Xbox, it looks like there is a CBS app on it. I am going to sign up and try the app, see how good it works.

#13 2 years ago

Orville might have already lost me. I get that it is more of a comedy but after 3 episodes I think I'm done.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I don't like the new look of the Klingons. Voices are odd and those masks are pretty bad. I don't like the captain either. But whatever, not like much else is on TV that's worth watching.

I agree, the new Klingons just don't look right. I hope there is some sort of explanation at some point.

#40 2 years ago

I get changing the camera angles for space scenes. But why hold the camera at a weird 45 degree angle for normal shots. Too much odd camera angles, they need to settle down with that stuff.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looks like episodes 1 & 2 are just the preamble for setting up the real show that starts in episode 3.
I don't like the idea of the trend where all the networks are setting up their own streaming services. Part of the point of cord cutting was that it was supposed to be cheaper. Most people seem to only subscribe to one or two services. I just want to go with the biggest one or two stream services with the biggest libraries and stick with those.
Disney is splitting off from netflix to do their own thing, so star wars will be over there. Now CBS is over here with star trek. And of course, HBO with GOT, Starz with their own stuff, and Showtime, plus amazon, hulu...and good grief. It starts getting expensive.

This is why Netflix started producing their own shows/movies. They can't rely on others for good content anymore, given they are all starting to pull away and do their own thing. The average middle class American won't pay for all these different streaming services, most will keep Netflix and maybe branch off and grudgingly decide to pay for one more. I'll keep CBS All Access until I've watched this season of Star Trek Discovery then I'll dump it until the next season comes out. I browsed through the CBS offerings and nothing else appealed to me that I wanted to pay for.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

With the first officer imprisoned for mutiny in episode 3, sounds similar to the ensign Roe story line.

Arrgghh! Small spoiler for myself in my own thread! I'll have to refrain from checking the thread until I catch up haha.

#62 2 years ago

Worf was a HUGE part of DS9. DS9 is my favorite show, it even edges out STTNG for me.

The Star Trek: Enterprise episodes "Affliction" and "Divergence", were intended in part to explain why Original Series Klingons had a more Human appearance, and later Klingons did not.

#74 2 years ago

The first 3 episodes have been amazing.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I like it so far, but the tone has varied wildly like it doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be from minute to minute.
It's actually a relief from all the dark and gritty sci-fi shows that have been on for the last few years.

This is exactly how I feel about the show. It's trying to be funny and serious at different points in every episode. No clear direction. I say just go all in and make it even more of a comedy, that seems to be the direction the writers want anyway.

As far as sci-fi goes... I'll take dark and gritty all day long over a comedy. Orville is not for me.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I would humbly suggest you give Orville another shot. I also was not impressed with the pilot episode, but it has rapidly improved with each one. To equate it to STTNG quality I would say episode 3 of Orville was on par with season 2 or 3 of TNG.
It isn't the show I was expecting from from McFarland. I was expecting Family Guy in Space, but it really does seem like he is wanting to do his own version of Star Trek. And I kind of like that it isn't as dark as everything else today sci fi. And if I haven't mentioned this already, the first officer ends up in a really short robe at one point in the second or third episode so there is another incentive to try it again.

She was on the show "Friday Night Lights", was pleasantly surprised to see her again on a show.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, the first episode was very different from the following episodes. I probably still would have continued watching either way. I like to see a fun show every once in a while, as opposed to dark & gritty all the time.

I agree the humor makes it fun. But episode 3 was so bad that I stopped watching.

#102 2 years ago

It's early, we are all trying to feel out this new Trek endeavor. Most shows that end up getting a couple million viewers per show end up being cancelled. This is completely different, 2 million subscribers because of this show might mean it could continue on despite a small fan base. Only time will tell. I am a fan of the show so far and am enjoying it.

4 months later
#137 2 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

No comments on this thread for a while so I’d like to add one. Forget the annoying (and obvious) anti Trump, SJW, women are superior, white men are weak or evil preaching that this series is. The first season is over and this show is well...just a poor and weak experience for me. While I’m not as old as many of the members on here, I remember watching TOS before TNG aired. I have all three seasons of TOS on Blu-ray and have been watching various episodes over the last week or two. While viewing some of my faves (Balance of Terror, Doomsday Machine, etc.) I was thinking “regardless of how much I REALLY despise the political aspects of STD, I would never just pick out a specific episode and watch it.” Would you? Single episodes just don’t stand out. It’s all just one long and disjointed storyline. I know it’s an aspect of today’s binging on TV. To create a TV series as if it was one long movie so no individual episode can really stand alone. But, I just don’t like it with Star Trek. This is just my personal opinion so I’m not trying to be an ass to those that like the show. I know it’s just entertainment but it’s just not entertaining to me.

I started this thread and I've officially given up on this show for so many reasons. I was so excited to begin with and now feel so incredibly let down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside