Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by imharrow
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

814C4FF1-5F30-49ED-BC04-24DE974028F6 (resized).jpeg
dsc-costumevid-robot-head (resized).jpg
AdamDredd_2-333x500 (resized).jpg
everyone-is-better-than-yar-though-246347 (resized).jpg
cast2 (resized).jpg
cast (resized).jpg

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

A fan club is an organized group of people who all admire the same person or thing.

This thread started with the first episode.. some of us are trying to figure out if we are fans or not still . Most of us are not fans of the CBS all Access regardless.

Agree that it's easier to like the Orville right now.. which I am really surprised about.

#102 1 year ago

It's early, we are all trying to feel out this new Trek endeavor. Most shows that end up getting a couple million viewers per show end up being cancelled. This is completely different, 2 million subscribers because of this show might mean it could continue on despite a small fan base. Only time will tell. I am a fan of the show so far and am enjoying it.

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

this new Trek endeavor.

is that the name of another ship?

I like it so far. My ratings for TV are on the post reality shows ruined TV sliding scale so I don't need a perfect show. I just want something that's better than average and I'll take it if it's sci-fi especially.

I was just being a wise ass since this was sounding like the most negative "fan" club ever!

#104 1 year ago

I downloaded (pirated) and watched the first 4 episodes and loved it. I couldn't justify paying for another subscription service but the show is legit good.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

And it's now the navigator for the 'spore jumps'?

Lol...a Dune ripoff?

#106 1 year ago

Last episode was the best so far. Hope they keep it up.

Listening to them butcher Klingon is pretty bad, though. So much phlegm.

#107 1 year ago

I really like the series so far and I cant wait to see what that silver cyborg woman is all about! It will be interesting to see what future tec the writers dream up for the series too.

dsc-costumevid-robot-head (resized).jpg

#108 1 year ago

Good point. I was going to rant about a ship able to instantly jump anywhere in the universe while powered by mushrooms, but I'll keep quiet. What happens if they eject the mushroom core? Does space get moldy & start smelling?

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Good point. I was going to rant about a ship able to instantly jump anywhere in the universe while powered by mushrooms, but I'll keep quiet. What happens if they eject the mushroom core? Does space get moldy & start smelling?

That sounds like a mashup of The Expanse and Dark Matter... wrong channel The Expanse is my favorite of the currently upped game of syfy channel

#110 1 year ago

Agree with you there. Expanse is a great show. Dark Matter's pretty good too.

#111 1 year ago

I have to get my hearing checked again. Watched episode 4 last night, heard the "F" Bomb twice?? Now I will have to watch and listen to the Episode 4 re-run, just to make sure.

#112 1 year ago

Here's an interesting theory about STD. If it's correct, I suspect you'll watch it from an entirely new perspective.

->Warning Speculative Spoilers Included<-

1 week later
#113 1 year ago

Just watched the latest. Don’t know why. I really don’t like this show. MB is arrogant, smug and un-like-able. Everyone is angry or has anxiety. I’ve come up with a theory though which, I’m sure, some others have thought of already.

THIS IS THE MIRROR UNIVERSE.

Anybody else thought this?

#114 1 year ago

Yeah, none of the characters are very likable/relatable. If any of them were to get killed off at any time, I probably wouldn't miss them too much.

The Klingons still bug me. I keep forgetting that they are supposed to be Klingons and not some other alien race.

I just re-watched Enterprise not too long ago, and even the Klingons in that show stick to the established look. And that show takes place before Discovery.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from dtown:

Just watched the latest. Don’t know why. I really don’t like this show. MB is arrogant, smug and un-like-able. Everyone is angry or has anxiety. I’ve come up with a theory though which, I’m sure, some others have thought of already.
THIS IS THE MIRROR UNIVERSE.
Anybody else thought this?

The last episode of Orville was way more fun than the last episode of Discovery.

Rob

#116 1 year ago

Just got the green light for season 2! I thought last night's episode was the best one yet. I'm also still on the fence about whether Ash is actually Voq, but that seems like the most plausible outcome. The characters were actually smiling in this episode, which was a refreshing change.

#117 1 year ago

Bio-engineered warp drive that can go anywhere at a moments notice due to the universe being connected by spores is a nice idea. Not sure if it would be feasible but at least they're trying to be original about it. It's a decent show. MB was raised Vulcan basically so that's what makes her somewhat of a hard ass. I'm interested to see where it all goes, at least in the second season. I do agree the Orville is pretty good.

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The last episode of Orville was way more fun than the last episode of Discovery.

This is very true. I do have a ton of fun watching The Orville and absolutely love the show. They're both great for different reasons, but I'm definitely hanging in there until the end of Discovery to see how it pans out because the producers keep preaching that it will set the stage for a world like we see on TOS.

#119 1 year ago

Don’t forget the latest Star Trek Continues for the best TOS recreation:

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

Don’t forget the latest Star Trek Continues for the best TOS recreation:
» YouTube video

Cool...this is well done, I've never seen it before. The sets are so faithful to the TOS it's remarkable.

#121 1 year ago

Check this out from the last Star Trek continues:

814C4FF1-5F30-49ED-BC04-24DE974028F6 (resized).jpeg

#122 1 year ago

Ha....awesome, I've seen a few fan films but none of them come close to this one. I don't know what happened to Axanar but that one was also well done.

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ha....awesome, I've seen a few fan films but none of them come close to this one. I don't know what happened to Axanar but that one was also well done.

What probably happened to Axanar was CBS/Paramount put the squash on it because they wanted to do the Klingon War storyline. Thing that sucks was that Axanar had much more promise.

#124 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Axanar production values and cast were TO good. That's what got it in trouble.

#125 1 year ago

I prefer no hip hop in my Star Trek.

Also, why does Lorca walk like he has a stick up his ass along with ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrome)?

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from dtown:

Also, why does Lorca walk like he has a stick up his ass along with ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrome)?

Part of the costume is the boots. Which was created to makes the foot look like a hoof. Which effects his posture.

#127 1 year ago

The engineer guy is just so... weird... I don't even find him likeable at all, but more creepy than anything.

Rob

#128 1 year ago

Let's be honest the whole cast blows.

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Part of the costume is the boots. Which was created to makes the foot look like a hoof. Which effects his posture.

That's Saru. Lorca is the captain.

Quoted from kvan99:

Let's be honest the whole cast blows.

I'm certainly not blown away by Martin-Green's performance yet, but everyone else is spot on. Doug Jones as Saru and Jason Isaacs are perfect for their roles.

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

That's Saru. Lorca is the captain.

Yep! You are correct, I got the names of the characters mixed up. Thanks.

#131 1 year ago

MG hair do looks like something that came out of a mop bucket. They should get a new hair dresser.

#132 1 year ago

I'm still liking the show. Last episode was good. They dipped in to the repeating timeline bucket pretty quick though. There are some odd anachronisms that kind of take you out of it at times though. Not sure what they are going for there.

1 week later
#133 1 year ago

Bravo the 5 year mission is completed:

1 week later
#134 1 year ago

They must've struck some kind of deal with CBS to allow them to finish the episodes they currently had in production. After that debacle with Axanar, CBS shut the door on fan films pretty hard. Based on the quality and production of STC, I'm not surprised. It's the closest thing to TOS you'll see since 1968.

#135 1 year ago

CBS doesn't want any competition now Discovery is airing. They want you to buy the CBS Access to get your Star Trek fix.

2 months later
#136 1 year ago

No comments on this thread for a while so I’d like to add one. Forget the annoying (and obvious) anti Trump, SJW, women are superior, white men are weak or evil preaching that this series is. The first season is over and this show is well...just a poor and weak experience for me. While I’m not as old as many of the members on here, I remember watching TOS before TNG aired. I have all three seasons of TOS on Blu-ray and have been watching various episodes over the last week or two. While viewing some of my faves (Balance of Terror, Doomsday Machine, etc.) I was thinking “regardless of how much I REALLY despise the political aspects of STD, I would never just pick out a specific episode and watch it.” Would you? Single episodes just don’t stand out. It’s all just one long and disjointed storyline. I know it’s an aspect of today’s binging on TV. To create a TV series as if it was one long movie so no individual episode can really stand alone. But, I just don’t like it with Star Trek. This is just my personal opinion so I’m not trying to be an ass to those that like the show. I know it’s just entertainment but it’s just not entertaining to me.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from dtown:

No comments on this thread for a while so I’d like to add one. Forget the annoying (and obvious) anti Trump, SJW, women are superior, white men are weak or evil preaching that this series is. The first season is over and this show is well...just a poor and weak experience for me. While I’m not as old as many of the members on here, I remember watching TOS before TNG aired. I have all three seasons of TOS on Blu-ray and have been watching various episodes over the last week or two. While viewing some of my faves (Balance of Terror, Doomsday Machine, etc.) I was thinking “regardless of how much I REALLY despise the political aspects of STD, I would never just pick out a specific episode and watch it.” Would you? Single episodes just don’t stand out. It’s all just one long and disjointed storyline. I know it’s an aspect of today’s binging on TV. To create a TV series as if it was one long movie so no individual episode can really stand alone. But, I just don’t like it with Star Trek. This is just my personal opinion so I’m not trying to be an ass to those that like the show. I know it’s just entertainment but it’s just not entertaining to me.

I started this thread and I've officially given up on this show for so many reasons. I was so excited to begin with and now feel so incredibly let down.

#138 1 year ago
Quoted from dtown:

I know it’s just entertainment but it’s just not entertaining to me.

Yeah I wish they had stuck to the format, individual episodes with different stories. Its not a bad show but it doesn't feel like ST at all.

#139 1 year ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I was so excited to begin with and now feel so incredibly let down.

The alternate universe didn't get your interest? The last 60 seconds of the last episode for Season 1, didn't make you look at the TV? NCC 1701.

#140 1 year ago

As a original Treke,I went out when Kirk,Spock,Mcoy,and the rest are all the same age,starting out their careers at the same time! Hats off to Zitt!!

#141 1 year ago

I didn't hate Star Trek Discovery, but I also did not think it was all that good. A couple likable characters (Saru was my favorite). Overall, I would not recommend it to anyone...however it seems like Star Trek first seasons are always weak. I am hopeful they will reassess and go back to more individualized episodes with some light overarching season themes/stories. I think there is potential for this show to be good...but whether or not the writers and directors can pull it off is yet to be seen.

dtown - hasn't Star Trek always had an element of social and political commentary? I didn't notice near as much as what you are referencing, but I think that is a part of waht Star Trek is.

#142 1 year ago

I had the same experience. As soon as I did not watch it as being Star Trek, but just another SciFi series, it was much more enjoyable.

Only this last episode was very weak again. The tough as cookies Emperess just gives up, the Klingongs just retreat after seeing a box of lights etc. All too easy IMHO. The Klingons reminded me of pinball people, forgetting everything when seeing a box of lights

edit: anyone wonder if Gabriel Lorca will return ?? He is still in the credits

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from brucipher:

(Saru was my favorite).

For me he’s the least favorite. I tell everyone he’s the Odo of DS9.

11 months later
#144 85 days ago

New season is pretty good.

#145 84 days ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

New season is pretty good

New season seemed like a better direction. I am enjoying it. But for me, the Orville is still the better Star Trek.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Machine - For Sale
Tallahassee, FL
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 64.99
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside