Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

814C4FF1-5F30-49ED-BC04-24DE974028F6 (resized).jpeg
dsc-costumevid-robot-head (resized).jpg
AdamDredd_2-333x500 (resized).jpg
everyone-is-better-than-yar-though-246347 (resized).jpg
cast2 (resized).jpg
cast (resized).jpg
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Am I to understand that CBS All Access charges a fee AND shows commercials on their streaming service?

They do? Ugh, forget that. Part of the reason I like streaming is no commercials. I've been doing it for so long now, I haven't seen an actual commercial in years.

[edit]: Looks like commercial-free is $9.99/mo, and with commercials is $5.99/mo

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I didn't like the design either. With every other design, there were obvious symmetrical ridges on the Klingon's head, like a crab shell. With the new Klingons, their heads and nose are just kind of bulbous, so they aren't instantly recognizable (at least, to me) as Klingons. I thought they were an entirely new alien race at first.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon

Yeah...straight out of JJ Abrams' dumbed down universe.

#53 6 years ago

Isn't it park of Star trek lore than klingons became more human looking in later series due to genetic experimentation. So if this series is supposed to happen prior to TOS, it would sort of fit they are uglier / different ?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_augment_virus

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Isn't it park of Star trek lore than klingons became more human looking in later series due to genetic experimentation. So if this series is supposed to happen prior to TOS, it would sort of fit they are uglier / different ?
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_augment_virus

Yes, some where it is mentioned, and Worf states that they do not talk about it. In that STNG Tribbles episode.

#55 6 years ago

Is the show planning on following Star Trek Canon?
If so, why did the Klingons collect the bodies of dead warriors when it's already been established in STTNG that they view dead bodies as worthless empty shells?

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes, some where it is mentioned and Worf states that they do not talk about it. In that STNG Tribbles episode.

One of the books said it was because the Klingons from the TOS series was part of a higher order of Klingons. Whatever, even Worf didn't look the same from the beginning to the end of NG. Klingons are an idea.

#57 6 years ago

With the first officer imprisoned for mutiny in episode 3, sounds similar to the ensign Roe story line.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

With the first officer imprisoned for mutiny in episode 3, sounds similar to the ensign Roe story line.

Arrgghh! Small spoiler for myself in my own thread! I'll have to refrain from checking the thread until I catch up haha.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes, some where it is mentioned, and Worf states that they do not talk about it. In that STNG Tribbles episode.

Actually it was a DS9 episode ^^ It was a good one, if people haven't seen it.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Actually it was a DS9 episode ^^ It was a good one, if people haven't seen it.

Ya, you are right, but it was Worf that was in it as well. As long as my memory isn't making new stuff up.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Ya, you are right, but it was Worf that was in it as well. As long as my memory isn't making new stuff up.

Haha, your memory is correct on Worf. DS9 turned into the Worf show there at the end. That episode is one of the best DS9 episodes, they did a great job.

Back to the original topic - I like Discovery, I am a little surprised with the direction so far, which is great. Hopefully it is around for years to come. Even if the CBS All Access thing is a bust, I hope it survives and just moves to NetFlix or Amazon. Probably will take a season or two to catch it's stride.

#62 6 years ago

Worf was a HUGE part of DS9. DS9 is my favorite show, it even edges out STTNG for me.

The Star Trek: Enterprise episodes "Affliction" and "Divergence", were intended in part to explain why Original Series Klingons had a more Human appearance, and later Klingons did not.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Back to the original topic - I like Discovery, I am a little surprised with the direction so far, which is great. Hopefully it is around for years to come. Even if the CBS All Access thing is a bust, I hope it survives and just moves to NetFlix or Amazon. Probably will take a season or two to catch it's stride.

In Canada, Discovery is shown on The Space channel. A Bell Media company. Not sure if Discovery would be blocked from watching from out side of Canada. It is common to block viewing American shows in Canada, from American companies.

#64 6 years ago

Pause for a STTNG funny:

everyone-is-better-than-yar-though-246347 (resized).jpgeveryone-is-better-than-yar-though-246347 (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago

watched it last night...it did not suck...but I am not paying an additional fee to CBS to watch it. It will be free eventually..I can wait.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

watched it last night...it did not suck...but I am not paying an additional fee to CBS to watch it. It will be free eventually..I can wait.

Agreed. The Big Box channels are going to learn a lesson moving to their own subscription services. Disney is a year away from doing the same thing. Cord cutters have a limit to the number of monthlies they're going to go with. $30-60 for their internet and 2 or 3 subscriptions tops. $100 a month is pushing it for the average consumer.

And BTW it's not cord cutting if all you do is change cords.

#67 6 years ago

$30-$60 for Internet is what people pay when they have their choice if ISPs. My only option is Comcast and they charge a lot more than $30-$60. We need a lot more competition in ALL markets.

#68 6 years ago

I have Comcast and for $76 a month I get a whooping 3meg down load speed, what a rip. I'll buy the dvd's when they come out.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

$30-$60 for Internet is what people pay when they have their choice if ISPs. My only option is Comcast and they charge a lot more than $30-$60. We need a lot more competition in ALL markets.

Yeah we have all of two choices. We were told fiber was also coming in. Well that was five years ago.

I pay $60 for 30mb down. But again that only leaves $40 if I'm hoping to stay in the $100 threshold. Not much room there with $10 Netflix, $100 a year Amazon Prime plus extra for PPV. So if CBS thinks they're going to peel off another $6 and Disney another $10 they can kiss me where the sun don't shine.

#70 6 years ago

My opinion after watching ep.3.

Bottom line is that these characters are too reflective of our current climate. Divided and afraid. I used to hope for a Star Trek future. This show offers no hope. I wouldn’t want to live in this future and, as such, this show fails.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Bottom line is that these people are too reflective of our current climate. Divided and afraid. I used to hope for a Star Trek future. This show offers no hope. I wouldn’t want to live in this future and, as such, this show fails.

It seems like every crew member has an attitude and that's not something I expected in the ST universe. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if the writing improves and gets into a groove though.

BTW, I'm still watching it for free on youtube.

#72 6 years ago

fantastic show thus far.

#73 6 years ago

Im not going to pay for another service. I warched the first episode and was, well, its ok, but didnt rock my Star trek universe.
To bad cbs is starting a pay service, im not going to pay more for TV.
More time for pinball.

#74 6 years ago

The first 3 episodes have been amazing.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

The first 3 episodes have been amazing.

It definitely is polarizing. My friends that love it - really love it and my friends that hate it - really hate it.
I remember "encounter at farpoint" so I'll reserve judgement for a while.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Bottom line is that these characters are too reflective of our current climate. Divided and afraid. I used to hope for a Star Trek future. This show offers no hope. I wouldn’t want to live in this future and, as such, this show fails.

I like Orville. Cheesy dialogue, cheesy special effects, humor in every episode...reminds me of the first series. Just easy to watch.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I like Orville. Cheesy dialogue, cheesy special effects, humor in every episode...reminds me of the first series. Just easy to watch.

I like it so far, but the tone has varied wildly like it doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be from minute to minute.

It's actually a relief from all the dark and gritty sci-fi shows that have been on for the last few years.

#78 6 years ago

I refuse to watch it. Up yours CBS.

I’m a big Star Trek fan. I’ve watched all the series and all the movies (even the crappy ones). Giving me one episode free, and then moving it to get more viewers for your service? No. I pay a ton for cable TV, internet, Netflix, Prime, and some of that money already goes to you from the cable company access fee, and you charge advertisers a bunch so you can break that up by showing me those ads. This is the first Star Trek I won’t be watching. I won’t even bother stealing it.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I like it so far, but the tone has varied wildly like it doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be from minute to minute.
It's actually a relief from all the dark and gritty sci-fi shows that have been on for the last few years.

This is exactly how I feel about the show. It's trying to be funny and serious at different points in every episode. No clear direction. I say just go all in and make it even more of a comedy, that seems to be the direction the writers want anyway.

As far as sci-fi goes... I'll take dark and gritty all day long over a comedy. Orville is not for me.

#80 6 years ago

Yeah...it's still has a pretty good production quality. I'm waiting on "Mega-City One" myself. I just hope this guy is not one of the judges:

AdamDredd_2-333x500 (resized).jpgAdamDredd_2-333x500 (resized).jpg

#81 6 years ago

This definitely isn't your fathers TOS or STTNG Trek but I love the way they're deconstructing everything before making it Burnham's eventual crew. Even most of it is CGI, it's not horribly done or doesn't take away from the intensity of the show. There are injected political views and personal agendas but most shows today have all that, you can overlook it but see that's it's there plain as day. I just do an eye roll really.

Really like Doug Jones as Saru. Loved him as Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies.

Enjoyable so far! The Klingons look gritty as they do in the current Trek movies. If they do another Trek movie with Pine and cast, they need to go further with Khan stirring up crap with the Klingons on Kronos. I think they were trying to carry on the look of them from those movies in a prequel manner.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I think the writing is good so far. They JUST went to war, which is a huge deal for a sort of altruistic, science/exploration based society. They are all in shock and chaos.

Overall, I'm digging it. I give it 3 out of 4 popcorns.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

15 episodes, monthly fee $5.95 for CBS all access.

That's why I won't watch it. I'm not going to pay to watch CBS

#84 6 years ago

It's like a DC Comics-take on Star Trek.. all dark, gloomy, gritty. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Definitely a JJ Abrams Trek universe feel.

But after 4 episodes... as entertainment... I'm actually enjoying "The Orrville" a lot more than Discovery.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

But after 4 episodes... as entertainment... I'm actually enjoying "The Orrville" a lot more than Discovery.

I watched 1 episode of Orville and couldn't take it. Different strokes...

#86 6 years ago

The scenes (lighting) are too dark. It's like your watching tv through a dirty window. Action scenes like with the creature, they give you a small glimpse. Show us the monster! Did someone forget Star Trek was shot in color?
I am waiting to see how Harry Mudd is portrayed.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

That's why I won't watch it. I'm not going to pay to watch CBS

This right here.

I guess CBS found my line in the sand, because I subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon already. I don't need another.

I'll just not watch it. What a shame.

#88 6 years ago

My biggest problem with streaming only is that there are a ton of players going after your business. Off the top of my head...Directvnow, Sony vue, YouTube red, Hulu, Sling, CBS all access, Netflix, Prime and probably others I'm forgetting. Now usually I don't have a problem with competition...In this case way more cooks in the kitchen then is required. If you like sports none have a decent "Sport" option. Examples would be Directvnow doesn't get NFL network but it does get NHL network. Sony vue gets NFL but doesn't get NHL. None get NFL sunday ticket or center ice etc.. You end up having to piece meal multiple services together in order to get what you really want. By that time you end up spending way more then you were with normal cable or sat. As I mentioned I think it needs more seasoning for sure. Probably in a few years the landscape will look different. Certainly can't justify subscribing to one service for a single show no matter how much I like Star Trek.

#89 6 years ago

I have elected to "take a knee" on this incarnation of Star Trek.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

My biggest problem with streaming only is that there are a ton of players going after your business. Off the top of my head...Directvnow, Sony vue, YouTube red, Hulu, Sling, CBS all access, Netflix, Prime and probably others I'm forgetting. Now usually I don't have a problem with competition...In this case way more cooks in the kitchen then is required. If you like sports none have a decent "Sport" option. Examples would be Directvnow doesn't get NFL network but it does get NHL network. Sony vue gets NFL but doesn't get NHL. None get NFL sunday ticket or center ice etc.. You end up having to piece meal multiple services together in order to get what you really want. By that time you end up spending way more then you were with normal cable or sat. As I mentioned I think it needs more seasoning for sure. Probably in a few years the landscape will look different. Certainly can't justify subscribing to one service for a single show no matter how much I like Star Trek.

Could end up hurting pro sports as people get tired of noticing their game isn't on whatever streaming service they pay for. I cut the cord and I know I no longer care or am even aware of whatever games are on MNF and sometimes Thursdays. Big time Leagues are going to go the way of Professional Boxing and just completely disappear unless you are a niche fan.

#91 6 years ago

why people are freaking out about paying to watch it, torrent is your friend.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

why people are freaking out about paying to watch it, torrent is your friend.

Kodi w/ Exodus is your friend!

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I watched 1 episode of Orville and couldn't take it. Different strokes...

I would humbly suggest you give Orville another shot. I also was not impressed with the pilot episode, but it has rapidly improved with each one. To equate it to STTNG quality I would say episode 3 of Orville was on par with season 2 or 3 of TNG.

It isn't the show I was expecting from from McFarland. I was expecting Family Guy in Space, but it really does seem like he is wanting to do his own version of Star Trek. And I kind of like that it isn't as dark as everything else today sci fi. And if I haven't mentioned this already, the first officer ends up in a really short robe at one point in the second or third episode so there is another incentive to try it again.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I would humbly suggest you give Orville another shot. I also was not impressed with the pilot episode, but it has rapidly improved with each one. To equate it to STTNG quality I would say episode 3 of Orville was on par with season 2 or 3 of TNG.
It isn't the show I was expecting from from McFarland. I was expecting Family Guy in Space, but it really does seem like he is wanting to do his own version of Star Trek. And I kind of like that it isn't as dark as everything else today sci fi. And if I haven't mentioned this already, the first officer ends up in a really short robe at one point in the second or third episode so there is another incentive to try it again.

She was on the show "Friday Night Lights", was pleasantly surprised to see her again on a show.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Yeah, the first episode was very different from the following episodes. I probably still would have continued watching either way. I like to see a fun show every once in a while, as opposed to dark & gritty all the time.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, the first episode was very different from the following episodes. I probably still would have continued watching either way. I like to see a fun show every once in a while, as opposed to dark & gritty all the time.

I agree the humor makes it fun. But episode 3 was so bad that I stopped watching.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

i agree, the Orville is getting better an better.

#98 6 years ago

Discovery maybe jumped the shark with that 4th episode.

The plot is becoming predictable where MB is always right and everyone else is wrong. That arrogant lady gets herself killed by the big monster only to have MB figure out it's actually gentle if you don't provoke it. And it's now the navigator for the 'spore jumps'? Of course it's suffering now and MB is the only one who notices or even cares.

And the klingon voice acting is so overdone to the point of being monotone and expressionless. They ATE the captains corpse? Going for shock factor I guess.

Rob

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i agree, the Orville is getting better an better.

I agree. Enjoying Orville much more than ST.

Rob

#100 6 years ago

A fan club is an organized group of people who all admire the same person or thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-discovery-fan-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.