Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

814C4FF1-5F30-49ED-BC04-24DE974028F6 (resized).jpeg
dsc-costumevid-robot-head (resized).jpg
AdamDredd_2-333x500 (resized).jpg
everyone-is-better-than-yar-though-246347 (resized).jpg
cast2 (resized).jpg
cast (resized).jpg

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Almost done watching the series premiere of Star Trek: Discovery. So far, I'm impressed! Let's hope this show is a success! Maybe someday, years from now we will get a Star Trek: Discovery pinball machine... one can only hope.

"Ten years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise, the USS Discovery discovers new worlds and lifeforms as one Starfleet officer learns to understand all things alien."

#2 6 years ago

cast (resized).jpgcast (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

I'm really enjoying it.

#4 6 years ago

TWD star Sonequa Martin-Green was an excellent first officer. She was my favorite character so far. Saru was great, I really like how developed the characters feel from the first episode. Many shows take time to establish the characters and their personalities, this show nailed it!

#5 6 years ago

Intro music and graphics were great. They learned to not do what Enterprise did in 2001.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Intro music and graphics were great. They learned to not do what Enterprise did in 2001.

Yea, I liked the intro too. My son loved the show too, he was mad when the first episode ended on that cliffhanger. I told him I was going to sign up right away for CBS all access so we can watch it.

#7 6 years ago

I really wanted to watch... however, I think the series will fail purely b/c of the whole ABC All Access subscription requirement (in the USA).

Too bad b/c I feel like it would be a success if on normal TV and/or Netflix (like the rest of the world).

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

I really wanted to watch... however, I think the series will fail purely b/c of the whole ABC All Access subscription requirement (in the USA).
Too bad b/c I feel like it would be a success if on normal TV and/or Netflix (like the rest of the world).

I was talking about this tonight with my kids/wife. I think it's possible that the show could be successful because it's behind a "paid" subscription model. If you think of the reverse situation, all shows on tv are subject to ratings week to week and they are all at risk of being cancelled at any time. Maybe this approach will work? Only time will tell. Everyone subscribe, heck it's cheaper than Netflix.

#9 6 years ago

Anyone that has an Xbox, it looks like there is a CBS app on it. I am going to sign up and try the app, see how good it works.

#10 6 years ago

Wonder, if all of the production, or what % is done in Canada? Looks to be done in the G.T.A.

#11 6 years ago

Enjoyed the first episode......i will sign up for CBS all access when the entire first season is available....do some binge watching

#12 6 years ago

Orville is more greta.

#13 6 years ago

Orville might have already lost me. I get that it is more of a comedy but after 3 episodes I think I'm done.

#14 6 years ago

I am traveling without TV Access last night; TIVO had better deliver I did not even read this thread other than to "Discover" the topic.... Spoiners!

can't wait.
faz

#15 6 years ago

Klingons look like they are wearing Halloween masks. Too smooth and rounded edges. It will take a couple of episodes to fill in the back story and get all the reoccurring characters in place. Around mid season we will know if it's a hit.

#16 6 years ago

I really liked the First Officer and the Klingons.

Quoted from Trekie:

It will take a couple of episodes to fill in the back story and get all the reoccurring characters in place. Around mid season we will know if it's a hit.

Agreed Number #1

#18 6 years ago

I've seen all of Star Trek except the animated series and pretty much loved it all but was not impressed with the first episode of Discovery. First- where was the science fiction? It could have been set in the wild west with the same story.

Still I'm trying to keep an open mind and give it a shot. It's tough though when things seem like a totally different universe than all the other series. Was there a need to change the Klingons so much? It seems like there is a lot of tech that shouldn't be there too. At least Q didn't show up, I'll give them that.

How many episodes are there and how much does it cost to see them all?

#19 6 years ago

15 episodes, monthly fee $5.95 for CBS all access.

#20 6 years ago

This seems like a bit of a gamble for CBS.. I'm a cord cutter.. Tablo for OTA, w/ sling, Netflix, Amazon prime for additional content. I didn't like the episode enough to want to pay for CBS all Access on top of everything else. I do pay for HBO now for 2 months out of the year for GOT, but justify that because for the two months or so while that is on, I also binge the other things (movies, series, etc). What would CBS all Access get me above this show since I have antenna as well?

Will be curious if they stick to this plan or after the season is over do something different.

Does look pretty though! Spending some money.

Btw for those looking for what the deal is with the streaming only stuff:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-trek-discovery-release-time-how-to-watch-new-/1100-6453477/

#21 6 years ago

Just use a FireTv/Firestick with Kodi custom loaded on it and you can watch every episode. Glad I saw this thread because I forgot all about this show. We use a roof antenna and Firesticks for everything. No monthly fees for any TV at all.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Kodi custom loaded on it and you can watch every episode

Yes, what you're failing to mention is that the "custom" part of that is essentially little more than a bittorrent or other file sharing interface that's rigged to pull video content through piracy downloads. Kodi keeps trying to distance themselves from that stuff, but they're screwed....it'll never happen. They shouldn't have been open source if they didn't want people using it for that.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just use a FireTv/Firestick with Kodi custom loaded on it and you can watch every episode. Glad I saw this thread because I forgot all about this show. We use a roof antenna and Firesticks for everything. No monthly fees for any TV at all.

Ive looked through Covenant, Exodus, Specto and Phoenix and couldnt find ST Discovery yet. Do you know where its uploaded at?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Ive looked through Covenant, Exodus, Specto and Phoenix and couldnt find ST Discovery yet. Do you know where its uploaded at?

Until CBS yanks them, you can find the episodes on youtube if you search by title.
Battle at the Binary Stars

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

A few minutes ago I just finished watching the first episode. I just searched TV Shows - Exodus - Discovery

Starting next episode now.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

A few minutes ago I just finished watching the first episode. I just searched TV Shows - Exodus - Discovery
Starting next episode now.

cool thanks! i looked late last night but didnt see it. i recently got Covenant addon which is suppose to be run by same people that ran Exodus but they supposedly stopped updating Exodus but I keep seeing new stuff on Exodus still.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

cool thanks! i looked late last night but didnt see it. i recently got Covenant addon which is suppose to be run by same people that ran Exodus but they supposedly stopped updating Exodus but I keep seeing new stuff on Exodus still.

Exodus is still my main "go to". Although since my wife and I only watch a few shows a week I just download them (torrent behind a VPN) and copy to the micro-SD card and play right from the FireTv. That way I can be 100% sure of the quality and no buffering issues when we do sit down to watch a show.

The Giants game, Red Zone Channel and the WWE PPV all streamed perfectly and in HD yesterday though.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from dookski:

I've seen all of Star Trek except the animated series and pretty much loved it all but was not impressed with the first episode of Discovery. First- where was the science fiction? It could have been set in the wild west with the same story.
Still I'm trying to keep an open mind and give it a shot. It's tough though when things seem like a totally different universe than all the other series. Was there a need to change the Klingons so much? It seems like there is a lot of tech that shouldn't be there too. At least Q didn't show up, I'll give them that.
How many episodes are there and how much does it cost to see them all?

I agree...it's a bit off but I'll keep watching for now.

#29 6 years ago

I don't like the new look of the Klingons. Voices are odd and those masks are pretty bad. I don't like the captain either. But whatever, not like much else is on TV that's worth watching.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I don't like the new look of the Klingons. Voices are odd and those masks are pretty bad. I don't like the captain either. But whatever, not like much else is on TV that's worth watching.

I agree, the new Klingons just don't look right. I hope there is some sort of explanation at some point.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

15 episodes, monthly fee $5.95 for CBS all access.

That's cheap enough, I'm in!

#32 6 years ago

Didnt like it the first go around going to rewatch episode 1 then give 2 a shot.

#33 6 years ago

The Discovery appears in Episode 3. Along with many other surprises.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Anyone that has an Xbox, it looks like there is a CBS app on it. I am going to sign up and try the app, see how good it works.

There's an app on the PS4 too. I watched it last night that way and had no issues at all.

#35 6 years ago

Thought it was good. Liked that it wasn't mostly from the captains view...Kind of neat. Didn't like that I subscribe to all access and still have to watch commercials at least 2-3 per break. Less then normal TV but still annoying when you're paying for the view. Maybe I'm in the minority concerning commercials...I dropped my Sat tv this spring, but am going back as streaming still has a long way to go. Needs much seasoning in my opinion. Freezing streams especially during live sports...lack of DVR (Directvnow) version 1.0a channel guide that doesn't allow you to recall last channel without having to scroll the entire list and I could go on.
Looking for other options not named Exodus or Kodi as that illegal crap is just garbage. Yes I'm talking to you person that uses a VPN and goes to torrent sites in order to pirate the movie or tv show you're currently watching. Love the situational ethics when it comes to this stuff. Hmmmm?

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Looking for other options not named Exodus or Kodi as that illegal crap is just garbage. Yes I'm talking to you person that uses a VPN and goes to torrent sites in order to pirate the movie or tv show you're currently watching. Love the situational ethics when it comes to this stuff. Hmmmm?

I have other options, legal and MUCH cheaper options, that I could point you towards.

But why would I? You don't need to be a dick when we're only discussing TV.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Agreed. I know the sound engineer for the series. He did a fantastic job!

#38 6 years ago

Not really trying to be a dick...sometimes the wink/nudge doesn't come across in a post. That's why I put in the smiley face... Almost everyone I know has a jail broken Fire stick btw Honestly the quality is suspect in most of those streams anyway. BTW reading my original post I can see how it comes across as a little negative...Sorry dude. Just spent some time in your neck of the woods this summer. Really enjoyed all the history in Harpers Ferry. Never been. Super cool place.
Back to topic....I think I will enjoy it, but most of the reviews I've read haven't been super positive. I've been waiting for a new Trek series for quite a while now so I will watch it as long as it's on. Honestly I kind of wish it was on a network other then CBS as they tend to pull shows that aren't sitcoms or police detective shows quite fast usually.

#39 6 years ago

Intro was great. Honestly I'm not loving the look and feel. It's more like the JJ'verse than past tv Star Trek. I didn't like the look of the Klingons. The Klingon voices sounded different, even the language sounded different to me. But I'm not one that speaks Klingon, so I can't say for sure. That attempted mutiny didn't feel like Star Trek.
The biggest thing that bumped me, if this is supposed to take place 10 years before TOS, why not make it look a little more like TOS? The art/ship/costumes all look like a completely different universe. We'll see how it goes.

#40 6 years ago

I get changing the camera angles for space scenes. But why hold the camera at a weird 45 degree angle for normal shots. Too much odd camera angles, they need to settle down with that stuff.

#41 6 years ago

not bad but i think it's going to take 1-2 seasons before it's perfect and getting use to it.

#42 6 years ago

I get changing the camera angles for space scenes. But why hold the camera at a weird 45 degree angle for normal shots. Too much odd camera angles, they need to settle down with that stuff.

Word- I said this exact thing watching it. In space, okay, there's no down. Standing on the ground straighten the camera out. It's not a Terry Gilliam movie, it's a straight laced mother of sci-fi universes.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Didnt like it the first go around going to rewatch episode 1 then give 2 a shot.

It looks like episodes 1 & 2 are just the preamble for setting up the real show that starts in episode 3.

I don't like the idea of the trend where all the networks are setting up their own streaming services. Part of the point of cord cutting was that it was supposed to be cheaper. Most people seem to only subscribe to one or two services. I just want to go with the biggest one or two stream services with the biggest libraries and stick with those.

Disney is splitting off from netflix to do their own thing, so star wars will be over there. Now CBS is over here with star trek. And of course, HBO with GOT, Starz with their own stuff, and Showtime, plus amazon, hulu...and good grief. It starts getting expensive.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looks like episodes 1 & 2 are just the preamble for setting up the real show that starts in episode 3.
I don't like the idea of the trend where all the networks are setting up their own streaming services. Part of the point of cord cutting was that it was supposed to be cheaper. Most people seem to only subscribe to one or two services. I just want to go with the biggest one or two stream services with the biggest libraries and stick with those.
Disney is splitting off from netflix to do their own thing, so star wars will be over there. Now CBS is over here with star trek. And of course, HBO with GOT, Starz with their own stuff, and Showtime, plus amazon, hulu...and good grief. It starts getting expensive.

This is why Netflix started producing their own shows/movies. They can't rely on others for good content anymore, given they are all starting to pull away and do their own thing. The average middle class American won't pay for all these different streaming services, most will keep Netflix and maybe branch off and grudgingly decide to pay for one more. I'll keep CBS All Access until I've watched this season of Star Trek Discovery then I'll dump it until the next season comes out. I browsed through the CBS offerings and nothing else appealed to me that I wanted to pay for.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The Klingons are way overdone makeup wise, almost looking like demons. But, I suppose they are trying to make them look more malevolent and fearsome than we are used to. Nobody would be scared of STTNG era klingons. I read that the show is also supposed to be centered around the first officer. We'll see how that goes as the show continues as it may be something that watchers grow weary off sooner than later.

Rob

#46 6 years ago

This is why Netflix started producing their own shows/movies. They can't rely on others for good content anymore, given they are all starting to pull away and do their own thing. The average middle class American won't pay for all these different streaming services, most will keep Netflix and maybe branch off and grudgingly decide to pay for one more. I'll keep CBS All Access until I've watched this season of Star Trek Discovery then I'll dump it until the next season comes out. I browsed through the CBS offerings and nothing else appealed to me that I wanted to pay for.

You're right--outside of a small handful of blockbuster titles I've already seen, most of the library is garbage now that everyone is jumping ship. I spend more time sifting through what's at the bottom of the barrel trying to find something half way decent to watch than actually watching something.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The Klingons are way overdone makeup wise, almost looking like demons. But, I suppose they are trying to make them look more malevolent and fearsome than we are used to. Nobody would be scared of STTNG era klingons.
Rob

I agree that I don't enjoy the Klingon makeup design. However, maybe that is how Klingon *should* look, even if I dislike like.

Also, maybe in the new universe, the story from "the chase" didn't happen. I would be ok with that.

#48 6 years ago

The new Klingon's are part of a product placement program for Dodge marketing the Demon...

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I agree that I don't enjoy the Klingon makeup design. However, maybe that is how Klingon *should* look, even if I dislike like.

I didn't like the design either. With every other design, there were obvious symmetrical ridges on the Klingon's head, like a crab shell. With the new Klingons, their heads and nose are just kind of bulbous, so they aren't instantly recognizable (at least, to me) as Klingons. I thought they were an entirely new alien race at first.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon

#50 6 years ago

Not for nothing but part of the reason I watch Netflix/HBO/Showtime etc. is because they are not afraid to go a little R rated. A little nudity and the properly placed FBomb reminds me that anything can happen in the show. When someone is completely pissed off on a Network show and they yell "Darnnit!" it kindof pulls me out of my suspension of disbelief.

And the commercials. Am I to understand that CBS All Access charges a fee AND shows commercials on their streaming service? That is a deal breaker and shows me that they really don't get the whole cord cutting revolution. I promise to steal the show from Kodi from now on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 199.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models
Decals
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 26.50
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marion, NC
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-discovery-fan-club/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.