Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG1425.jpg
IMAG1427.jpg

#1 11 years ago

I am starting to put some LEDs into my ST DE 25th Anniv
General advice needed -
1. Avoid kits right? ....
2. Under playfield , frosted, white, high outhput, wide angle or ?
3. Should I put a green bulb under a green, red under a red, etc playfield spot - or a clear one ?
4. As a newbie LED-er (is that a word) ... what should I look out for? I was told by marco today that "the ghosting problems have been solved"

I dont want to buy the wrong stuff. Who has done this machine ?

Should I get a few of each bulb to try ?

I will read the sticky's on LEDs! What else do I need to know .. to get me started..
THANKS

#2 11 years ago

Hi

I've got one of these and have the whole thing LED'd, except the playfield GI and backbox GI. Love it!

1) Yeah. Kits = Bad
2) I went with all Ablaze 3-Led on this game from Pinballlife and really think it fits. On the brighter side, but I like it here.
3) Yes, totally. Match every bulb color with the intended insert color. However, note that on this game, many inserts are clear, but the standard incandecents came with bulb condoms originally. I matched the led color with the bulb condom. Let me know if you don't have and I can provide.
4) Not sure I really have anything here. The Ablaze 3-Leds are "not" anti-ghosting, but I don't have problems with it on my game. Not that I notice anyway.

#3 11 years ago

ST25 was my first pin and, subsequently, was the first I tore down and LED'ed. I really had a good time experimenting with what I though looked right to me. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about getting non-ghosting LED's with this pin. Here's a link to a post a while back where I outlined some of the LED's I went with, plus some pics.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-led

I mentioned in that thread that I used colored incandescents for some of the flashers, but I mistakenly said I put red under the subway by the moving target. It was actually a couple blues that I put under there and it turned out pretty nice. The only LED flashers I remember using under the p/f were whites under the Enterprise saucer & nacalles, and red ones under the upper right ramp.

#4 11 years ago

Ah - thank you both! I have seen that thread before southbound ...just couldnt find it again. Good pics, thanks.

I dont see any bulb condoms, Goonie, but maybe I have not looked enough. Today I started looking at the center of the playfield where the small glass bulbs are...555'S ? They seem to be clear bulbs but the holes in the playfield has lens that is colored (for example the rows of advance phasers that lead up to the moving target)

#5 11 years ago

I just helped a friend led one of these best results were using cointaker frosted in the raised panel in center of pf.
and the pf inserts looked best with cointaker smd supers they have a frostlike finish on em and glowed nice
other small inserts also use frosted color of your choice
used a combination of cointaker frosted and smd for the GI cool white due to friends preference but i would have went with ww white personaly

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from bobhvacguy:

I dont see any bulb condoms, Goonie, but maybe I have not looked enough. Today I started looking at the center of the playfield where the small glass bulbs are...555'S ? They seem to be clear bulbs but the holes in the playfield has lens that is colored (for example the rows of advance phasers that lead up to the moving target)

hey, sorry for the late follow up here. I really need email notifications from Pinside on postings...anyway, my bad on the insert colors. Not sure what I was thinking. Most of them are colored. But, the numbered dilithium crystals inserts on the Playfield are not. Those are clear inserts, but had red bulb condoms when I had gotten the game. Except the center #4, which has two bulbs (one green, one yellow).

#7 11 years ago

Use green gi behind the drop down targets!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

Use green gi behind the drop down targets!

Hmmm, good idea. I generally don't use LEDs in GI, but have started to play around with colored incandecents a bit. Might have to give that one a try.

#9 11 years ago

Deleted. Double post.

Post edited by southbound : double post

#10 11 years ago

A cell photo of mine. Green 4+1's look good in the pop bumpers too.

I'm not at home now to take a current picture, but I've made some further improvements. The upper lane guides arent shown here, but I've switched those lane guide covers from clear to a light blue to tone down the cw retro's I'd put there. It was the only area I thought the LED's made a bit too bright in person.

IMAG1425.jpgIMAG1425.jpg

#11 11 years ago

I used green frosteds from CT. Also changed to colored posts behind the targets to match the lights.

IMAG1427.jpgIMAG1427.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus
Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-de-25th-anv-starting-to-led-need-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.