• Latest reply 6 years ago by Milltown
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171018_233510 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a 91 star trek and have been chasing issues .
The latest is the dmd screen at times makes no sense only in certain areas and times ..
The score is kimda faint and wavey if you will .
When the designers are up its also like this ..
After multi Bill drain the entire screen makes no sense .. when you activate the transponder its very jumbled looking .
But other times for other features ect it's absolutly perfect .spok floats by perfect Haha . I feel it's not the display itself . Just not sure . A cable maybe ? Very new to data east games . .

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I just picked up a 91 star trek and have been chasing issues .
The latest is the dmd screen at times makes no sense only in certain areas and times ..
The score is kimda faint and wavey if you will .
When the designers are up its also like this ..
After multi Bill drain the entire screen makes no sense .. when you activate the transponder its very jumbled looking .
But other times for other features ect it's absolutly perfect .spok floats by perfect Haha . I feel it's not the display itself . Just not sure . A cable maybe ? Very new to data east games . .

Try reseating the ribbon cable a few times between the backbox board and the DMD.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Try reseating the ribbon cable a few times between the backbox board and the DMD.

Will do ..

#4 6 years ago

I had a Data East Star Wars recently showing crazy DMD stuff, very weird behaviour etc ..... ended up replacing the ribbon cable. All good.

Def worth reseating first though.

#5 6 years ago

I'm hoping because dam it's not cheap for a new display ...
I ordered a new cable today ..
As soon as I re seat the ribbon cable it works fine. But now it will totaly freeze up on me..
Re seat the cable on either board it's fine .

While I wrote this the screen went dead and the game would not start. Shut it off and restart and it's back ?

20171018_233510 (resized).jpg20171018_233510 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

The guy I got it from had replaced the bridge rectifier for power to the dmd..
Stil may be the cable .. right now it looks perfect ..
Spok comes up perfect .. high scores are perfect ..ect.. I once again reseated the ribbon and moved it around in the back box ..
Seems fine now . Wich makes me think it's that cable .. new ribbon can't arrive quick enough. . Any other thoughts are appreciated ..

#7 6 years ago

If anyone has any other thoughts on this please chime in.. ribbon cable is in rt...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models
Decals
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-data-east-strange-dmd-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.