20171214_110248 (resized).jpg
20171214_110315 (resized).jpg
IMG_1703 (resized).JPG
20171214_092840 (resized).jpg
20171214_090230 (resized).jpg
IMG_1695 (resized).JPG
IMG_1693 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Looking for some input.. I got this game yesterday and when I went to play it this morning, it doesn't seem like the switch is activating most of the time. Which is very frustrating because as anyone knows who owns this game, without this button the ball won't launch as the video mode starts the game. I found what looks like a loose wire, I called the guy who sold it to me and he said "it looks like a ground". Ok thanks but that's not helping me much right now.

IMG_1693 (resized).JPGIMG_1693 (resized).JPG

IMG_1695 (resized).JPGIMG_1695 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Also some times the red button flashes, and other times it is just lit up with no flashing.

#3 6 years ago

The screw is probably in there somewhere.

20171214_090230 (resized).jpg20171214_090230 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for replying. I hooked it up to where yours is and still nothing

#5 6 years ago

I swear every time I take the glass off to mess with it, it works. As soon as I put the glass back on it stops working again lol

#6 6 years ago

Is there like a master reset rather than turning off the toggle switch? I'm sorry I'm a first time owner and this is very frustrating.

#7 6 years ago

Here's a better picture

20171214_092840 (resized).jpg20171214_092840 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Mine dId the same . Mine was a coil wire tho.

#9 6 years ago

IL check mine in a bit . IL snap a pic .
Something looks odd .

#10 6 years ago

Is that diode touching that ground ?

#11 6 years ago

Not sure what's going on, I'll set it on like two or three players, the first two balls will work fine then it stops working as the third player starts or if video mode gets activated it will stop working. Here's what the switch and wiring looks like now

IMG_1703 (resized).JPGIMG_1703 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

Shot of mine ..

20171214_110315 (resized).jpg20171214_110315 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

I also has issues,with my shooter lane switch .. it was getting slammed by the ball launch mech and not working properly. Take a lookat that switch and wire form

#14 6 years ago

20171214_110248 (resized).jpg20171214_110248 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Make sure that diode is good and not touching anything also.. like the ground strap ect ..

#16 6 years ago

Mine played fine as,well were I purchased it.
Once home I had a ton of issues..
The biggest was that shooter lane switch..
Be careful tho . You can't get a original switch.

#17 6 years ago

Your wiring appearance backwards or something ? I don't c a diode on the left of the switch going to the red and blue wire to ground?

#18 6 years ago

Make this happen.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Make this happen.

Sorry ..I mean the last picture I sent ..

#20 6 years ago

I turned it off and left. Came home two hours later, turned it on, played like three games no issues. Walked away, came back, started new game and no trigger again grrrrr. Worst part is I started messing with the audits and what not and somehow turned it off free play. I keep cycling through the settings and can't find where you turn free play on?? Help!!!!!!!!!

#21 6 years ago

This is really frustrating. I found the adjustment for free play but still no luck with the fire button. Ran a diagnostic test and it is saying bad switch, just don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

#22 6 years ago

you talking about the white switch? notorious for having those little tabs break off that hold it in so it makes full contact, buy a new one. like 8-12 dollars

#23 6 years ago

Don't get frustrated .. when the ball goes into the shooter lane does it fall all the way back onto the switch ?
And yup them switches can be bad internally..
Wiring looks in correct in your pic as opposed to mine.

#24 6 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, I don't mind messing around with it but since this is the first machine I've ever owned, I've had it less than 24 hours, and there's already something wrong with it lol. It especially sucks with this one because you can't even start a game without using this button.. Is this the norm with owning pinball machines?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Brett-L:

.. Is this the norm with owning pinball machines?

Haha it can feel like it.

#26 6 years ago

Ya .they break often .. my bride went down last night and having other issues on another today. It's good when they break man. You learn them.. just be patient man.
Look at your shooter lane switch .. and realy look at those wires to that fire switch and the pocs of mine I sent .

#27 6 years ago

Look at the wiring.. loose wires ect .. I would move that red whore bsck to the cabinet not on the ground.. check that diode..

#28 6 years ago

Thanks man.. it's just puzzling to me that I'll go downstairs, turn it on, play a few games and everything works fine. Then ten minutes go by, I'll start another game only to have that fire button not work again..

#29 6 years ago

This red wire? It's soldered to the terminal with the black wire which I thought was ground? It that the diode under the white heat shrink?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

Yes note this pic of mine...

826d46b3928d5f9316a66b99476ad37692d32fdc (resized).jpg826d46b3928d5f9316a66b99476ad37692d32fdc (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

No black wire.. do not go to round strap..

#32 6 years ago

How's it going ?

#33 6 years ago

I wanna thank you guys for all the replies and pictures, (especially you Milltown for the encouragement to mess with it lol) it was that red/blue wire that must've came loose somehow. I grounded it by accident when it should've been mounted to a separate screw on the cabinet. Now it works properly- since it's on free play, the start button flashes (when it was grounded the fire button was flashing also) and the fire button only starts flashing when it's time for the ball to launch! No issues now!!

#34 6 years ago

Aaaaand just like that, it stopped working again. The button flashes when ready to fire but won't launch again. Someone mentioned a new switch for 8-12 bucks? Anyone have a link to purchase?

#35 6 years ago

Is the ball fully falling onto the plunger ? Marco or pinball resource should have that switch .
Check the diode while yer at it .

#36 6 years ago

Make sure all your connectors are seated properly . Pinns are like cats . They hate car rides. Check your connectors in the back box .

#37 6 years ago

Make sure the wires are also soldered to the coil . Mine came loose before .

#38 6 years ago

I think the wires coming from that switch need to be re soldered. They don't look up to par. I'm going to dive into it later today or tomorrow with a buddy who knows a lot more about electronics than me, fingers crossed!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Brett-L:

I think the wires coming from that switch need to be re soldered. They don't look up to par. I'm going to dive into it later today or tomorrow with a buddy who knows a lot more about electronics than me, fingers crossed!

Cool cool

#40 6 years ago

Checked all connections.. resoldered the wires going to the switch.. fire button flashes but won't release the ball. Also something new is happening, don't know if it's related but before a game starts (game actually won't start, because it won't fire) it says missing ball. All three balls are in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-data-east-red-button-workingnot-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.