PXL_20240127_043801582.MP (resized).jpg
Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_outlane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7546 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's a good looking ST!
I was telling someone about my process for making that alt the other day, made made me a little nostalgic for my game. Was a really fun project to do.
[quoted image]

I enjoy your work every day on mine!

#7547 4 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

Just curious, has anybody put Pin Stadium Lights on their ST? I'm thinking about picking up a kit for my MMR cause the center playfield is pretty dark for my tastes. But wondering how it might look in ST as well. It's already a pretty bright and colorful game, so not sure it needs it, but I can see it adding to it too.

I have read many times that ST is the brightest game ever! Judging from mine, it's definitely not needed.

#7548 4 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

These mods, including Pinblades go on really easily if you apply a generous amount of soapy water to the sticky side before putting them on the pin. Once seated, you can slide the art around to get it placed perfectly and then squeegee out the water and bubbles for a perfect fit. Of course you want to have a towel below the art when installing it to catch the drops that you squeegee out.

I have service rails, so it was easy. I just set the service rail feet in the lock down bar notch and put a 2x4 under the back edge of the playfield so the whole playfield is sitting above the cabinet. Then installed art blades. Was pretty easy. No soapy water needed. You can pull it off and reapply if needed. Just don't stick the whole thing down before aligning it. It's made of high quality vinyl. Easy to work with. If your pro doesn't have service rails, I would install them. It's also very easy to do and makes anything towards the back of the playfield accessible. I thought is was ridiculous for Stern to not include these on Pro models. Glad they do now since Iron Maiden.

#7550 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkfader:

Hey there, Im a proud owner of 18 years of my ST:TNG, I just did A game room tour video and you can check out my freshly restored ST:TNG in the video!

Those Pachinko machines are so cool! I would love to get one. Never see these in the USA. How much and where to get?

#7552 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks! I'm doing a few for some folks now, might have a couple extras if anyone is interested. PM me if so.

Are you going to do another run of Shadow?

#7554 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That’s happening right now. PM me.

I know a guy with a Shadow. I'll let him know. Thanks

#7556 4 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

I bit the bullet and ordered 2 Fusion sets

Cool!
Please report back with results! I admit I never owned a set and don't know anything about it. I will have to look into this.

#7566 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Unfortunately I'll never be able to beat the 94 warp champion.

LOL! My best is 14 so far!

1 week later
#7591 4 years ago

ST for sure! Can't beat the flow! Most definitely upgrade to a color LCD. Best mod there is IMO. Zitt's pop bumper caps are a close second!

1 month later
#7678 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Question:
I bought an LCD colorDMD for Star Trek (I’m still struggling to get the color working but that is another matter). When installed it’s not flush and there is a gap on the sides where you can see the innards and it looks bad. I’m considering putting weather strips along the side to hide the innards. Any thoughts or mods to cover it? I guess I should have gone with LED and not LCD but too late now.

I bought one and had no problems. You have to order the correct mounting kit from Color DMD. I think StarTrek was the only pin that had two different mounting kits because it was the first Stern to have the new back box design and then they quickly changed it after release. This used to all be on Color DMD web page but now I can't find the option for the different mounting kits. Maybe it changed. Also I bought 1"(inch) black foam off Amazon to cover the gap. See link below. You need this especially if you have lighted speakers.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRVBN1N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

You won't regret getting the LCD! I love Scan Mode but Dots XL is great to!

1 week later
#7701 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

Joined the club this weekend with a HUO Pro. Loving it so far.[quoted image]

The pro plays great! And I second the color DMD! Also a shaker, zitt's pop bumper caps, Vengeance explosion mod and visor kit, warp ramp chaser lights and Cliffy's on the plastic ramps! LOL!

#7707 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the color DMD is a must have.
Found the pop bumper caps, explosion mod and visor at various vendors, but does anyone still sell the chaser lights? Could not find them.

Bummer! Mezel Mods had them but now they are not listed. Maybe email him about it. I've seen them. They are great and cheap.

#7711 4 years ago

How similar do you guys think JP2 will shoot compared to Stern Star Trek? There are similarities. I just don't know if this would be a good candidate to sit next to ST in a small 3 pin collection. Opinions appreciated!

#7713 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I've only played JP2 about 5 times, so this is limited. It didn't feel anything like Star Trek. I guess if I really pressed I could see similar areas for some shots. However when pressed that hard, I come to the conclusion that every pinball machine is just like every other one because they all have flippers and balls.
To me they didn't shoot the same at all, so I think you are safe. And the shots on JP2 are pretty damn cool.

Thanks and I'm glad to hear it! Sorry if it was a stupid question. I just really like what I see with JP2 and wanted others who have played it to chime in so thanks again!

#7715 4 years ago

I'm with you on that warp ramp? I don't get it either!

#7724 4 years ago

I label and bag everything and take tons of pics from several angles. My iPad is great for this. Worth the effort. I did a whole playfield swap this way and no problems.

1 month later
#7760 4 years ago
Quoted from Spagano314:

Hi,
I’m new to the club as of Saturday. I have a quick question. I have level the game perfectly side to side and have the pitch just touching the top middle black line. When the ball comes out of the kickout on the left side, it hits the top of the left pop bumper almost every time. Do I need to adjust the level or is there an easier way to fix this? My machine has new clear titan rubbers on it. I don’t know if that’s an issue. Thanks for any help.

I would never trust that built in level. Get yourself a digital inclinometer like this one...https://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Industries-7434-AccuMASTER-Inclinometer/dp/B0148M7P4O/ref=asc_df_B0148M7P4O/

#7762 4 years ago

I have all Titan rubbers. That's not a problem for me.

1 week later
#7773 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Except that Star Trek is not a spike 2 game.

And one reason why I own one.
Not that I'll never own a Spike 2 pin but Sam is much less of a concern at this time for sure.

#7783 4 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Hi Gang, thanks in advance for the help. Just joined the club with a pro. Sometimes the ball gets stuck just to the right of the bottom pop bumper. Game seems level when I play. Is it a common problem?
Thanks, Brian

Yes. I will have to try the felt pad idea above.

#7785 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

All you have to do is unscrew it 1/2 turn

Unscrew what?

#7788 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

There's a screw next to where your ball gets stuck and the pop bumper. It's been awhile, but I think it just screws into your playfield. Back it off a little until the ball doesn't get stuck anymore.

OK. When I bought the machine used, the screw was not there. Just the hole. I put a screw there with a sleeve over it, but it came out. Going to try the felt pad idea now.

#7791 4 years ago

I will try that. Thanks
About how high up is the screw normally?

1 week later
#7796 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Does anyone have a link to the 1.62 custom movie soundtrack code?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-162/page/4

The link above is the thread. Look through it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s4j67a163in7spa/Edited_with_162_movie_sounds.rar/file

Not sure if this file is for Prem/LE or pro. Download it and see if it has an info file. You will have to unpack it before installing to usb drive. The drop box links no longer work but this link above does.

#7804 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Do you mean with the mod'd code, or with the official 1.62 version?

FYI. There is another version of 1.62 movie sound code that has the original Star Trek theme song at the end as well. Some people prefer it. I don't.

#7805 4 years ago

I've had this game for over a year and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it. Fantastic pin! Of course I modded it into a Promium! So IMO, it tops a stock Premium easily. And I still spent a lot less money. Bought it HUO in pristine condition with Aurich art package and shaker motor and topper for $4700.00

#7809 4 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

My concern with backing the screw out as suggested is the ball will hit it more solidly and could wiggle it enough to make the hole bigger over time.

That's what happened to mine. Hole stripped out and screw fell out. Ramp is easy to remove as well.

2 weeks later
#7818 4 years ago

STAR TREK AURICH TRANSLITE and art package for sale here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/86427

-Zitt's pop bumper caps and red led mod for warp ramp.

-Vengeance visor kit.. https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p15/Star-Trek-Vengeance-Visor-Pinball-Mod.html

-Vengeance explosion mod.. https://mezelmods.com/collections/star-trek-pinball-mods

-Blue under cab lighting

-Pinblades

-Cliffy's for the ramps or they will break on the left and right front edges.

-'Speaker Light Kits' kit with ACRYLIC DESIGNS Star Trek grills. http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Speaker-Light-Kits.html

-Sub woofer on floor!

Added over 4 years ago:

Oh, and the original movie sound track!

#7822 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Does anyone know where I can buy this individual plastic, or have one sitting around that they wouldn't mind parting with?
I REALLY don't want to buy a full plastic set for this one piece. [quoted image]

I wish they sold individual plastics! But nope. They don't as of yet. At least as far as I know.

#7825 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

And an LE at that, very nice!

IMO, the nicest LE ever made!

#7828 4 years ago
Quoted from Moeman65:

Any one know where I can get a translite for my Star Trek like the one in this pict. #7823?

That's an 'LE only' mirrored back glass. Not a translate. I don't know if they're even available to buy, but if they are, they will be expensive.

Get this one below instead. It's awesome (I have it). This kit is missing the speaker decal though.

STAR TREK AURICH TRANSLITE and art package for sale here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/86427

#7831 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I agree, Stern really knocked it out of the park with this one. IMO this is the ONLY LE Stern produced that was actually worth the additional cost over the Premium Edition.

I couldn't agree more. Everything after it was far less value.

#7839 4 years ago

That's one mod I don't have. I bought the visor kit for mine instead.

** Captain obvious here, it won't change colors on Pro table.

#7855 4 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Shameless plug for a great product and company.

Great to know!
I have been enjoying my Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle as well. Spooky pins have awesome audio! And I also bought a subwoofer for the floor under my ST pro. Improved audio systems are a huge improvement and a must have upgrade IMO if you really love a game! ..

#7868 4 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Anyone with a shaker in a Stern Star Trek Pro? Trying to figure out whether I should put one in my pro, or into my Metallica Pro, or is it not worth it for either?

Hell Yes!
I love mine.. Can't imagine not having it!

#7869 4 years ago
Quoted from matbkk:

What are your thoughts ?Is it possible ?

For me the experience would be stressful and frustrating! And I like to work on pins! I completely restored an F-14 with repro playfield etc. But that wasn't missing shit loads of parts. You would learn a lot. But it might also turn you off for life! This might be a good project for someone with past experience and money to burn, but not a beginner IMO (if you're a beginner that is).

2 weeks later
#7898 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Who makes the best, most appropriate side blades for sttng. Also need something for the back board.
Post pics!

Ziit's nebula mod for the back board and I have these side blades...
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/star-trek-pro

#7901 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The
nebula board_only works for Stern Star Trek. MarsPinball asked about STNG.

Sorry.

1 week later
#7914 4 years ago

Yes, that's a killer audio upgrade for sure!

#7938 4 years ago

The Vengeance explosion mod is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7948 4 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Hi,
I am a new owner and have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I noticed that the diverter in the trough closest to the coil door was sticking. I did not check it through the test mode. I just manually moved it and it was very stiff. This was caused by old grease. Are these mechanisms supposed to get lubricated or just cleaned and operated dry?
Thanks
Art

Dry! Never use grease.

1 week later
#7981 4 years ago

Now install the movie sound track update if you haven't already. Much more epic IMO.

#7999 4 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Hey Guys, I have a Star trek Pro. What ideas do you guys have for toppers?
Thanks, Brian

Just a $50.00 eBay model. Looks good!
DSCN0076 (resized).JPGDSCN0076 (resized).JPG

#8001 4 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

Can someone please explain to me why there doesn't seem to be any really good ST topper? Even if Stern sold the one that came with the LE, that would be something. Not really impressed with the one from Laseriffic. My other pin is an MMr and I've been eyeing the new topper CGC is putting out with their updated models, which will be for sale separately. Like all their other toppers for AFMr/MBr, it is really something. I just don't want to have something like that, right next to a simple slab of acrylic. No offense to anyone who owns/likes the laseriffic or similar type toppers. I actually like some of the other games they've done.

Good question!
You would think one of worthiness would exist by now? I'm not a topper guy (only cause I'm not rich), but you are right! A better one needs to exist.

#8005 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I have a pet peeve with ST pro. The two Enterprise inserts at the right have a different light behind them, they have a little led on a board, unlike the rest if the Enterprise inserts. You can barely tell when they're lit. Is there a replacement or upgrade to make them so the same?[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-summary-of-fixes/page/3#post-2395315

#8007 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Awesome, thanks!!!

Cointaker may not make this board anymore, but someone probably does. Just make sure the voltage is correct!
Cheers!

#8015 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy1:

What should I do ? or Is it to late for me ? Is life never going to be the same??

No, you're screwed now like the rest of us! You caught the disease! And there is NO cure! Resistance is futile!

#8021 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

where do you get this upgrade?

OK, there are two versions for both Pro and Prem/LE. TOS stands for 'The Original Series'.

Prem/LE (without TOS theme music at end of game) http://www.mediafire.com/file/s4j67a163in7spa/Edited_with_162_movie_sounds.rar/file

Prem/LE (with TOS theme music at end of game) http://www.mediafire.com/file/39xqtqzgxtbahze/STLE_162_original_TOS.bin/file

Pro (without TOS theme music at end of game) is below. I couldn't find a link for Pro version with TOS ending theme music.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/sUbnHgLmz4dGvmMtGxp7eRYBoiRDnt4hdZnvlXTfEYr/glIQWqrrSXeCDyBAL3FBTw
** Yes this has a download link in upper right corner of screen and is not for shopping on Amazon.

#8027 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

This discussion group relates to 7 different Star Trek pinball machines.

Yes!
Which is totally assinine IMO!

#8029 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not true. This started as one group to service them all... then someone started an STNG group... and then another a DEST group.
I'm not sure anyone has started a BallyST Group.
-----------------
Today I got a new garage door installed; and while moving machines (packed in PinArmor -except the ballys which don't have pinarmor which fits) - I accidentally hit my Bally ST too hard/too close and tipped it over on the head. I screamed and expected a shattered Backglass or worse. Turns out - the Pinball Gods must have been smiling on me because it managed to knock the top wood "channel" off WITHOUT shattering the Backglass.
I'll post pictures later; but right now the top wood is clamped for Gorilla Glue.
It could have been MUCH worse; I'm so glad I can fix this with some glue, paint, and wood putty.

What do you mean by group? All these machines are in this thread and it's a PITA at times.
I would have screamed too! It's a good start for the new year for sure!!

#8044 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Really like this new alternative translite. Gives the game a more modern look.[quoted image]

And you got the best one IMO!

#8046 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I am on the verge of purchasing my first nib stern pin. I have always wanted to own a Star Trek premium since the first time I saw it. I would assume that there aren't many left. Am I making the right decision to purchase one, or is there a better pin nib since then? It will probably be the only nib purchase I will ever make.

No, get it!!
I don't know about current playfield issues with these vault editions, but you can't beat these Sam systems for reliable and servicable electronics. And this is a great playing game.

1 week later
#8069 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Never seen a sttng translite with the wrong star trek characters. For most people it makes as much sense as putting star wars characters on a star trek pinball because they both are science fiction and have the word “star” in the title...

LOL!

#8090 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I just finished watching the premier of Star Trek: Picard on CBS All Access. CBS' business ethics aside... this was one of the best times I've had since Voyager went off the air. While I'm not happy with the subscription model of All Access... I am VERY happy to have this new series to fuel my inner Trekkie.
To celebrate this awesome new show; Now thru this weekend - I'm offering a sale on all my Star Trek pinball products.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1day-only-sale-capt-picard-day-6-16#post-5430279

Already have everything! Thanks for the awesome mods Zitt!

1 week later
#8128 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Just curious how many people prefer thier pro to the other models? Dont get me wrong, I love all the models but there is something about how the pro looks that I like. For example the arrows are color changing on LE and Premium models which distort the game play I feel. The pro has colored jewels instead.

OK, the LE is the nicest LE ever made IMO so no way I would compare a pro to that! But, my pro is modded up to be a beautiful pin. I don't miss the extra features of the premium and I did originally play the prem before the pro. I do have the Aurich art package, all of Zitt's mods, the Vengeance mods, art blades, shaker, lighted speaker grills with SF acrylics, color LCD, subwoofer, warp ramp chaser lights, undercab lighting, Cliffy's on the plastic ramps etc. And still spent much less than a prem would cost. So a pro has great potential! I do find that the color inserts on the pro have more vibrant color than the clear inserts with RGB. Keep in mind that the pro does have RGB lighting as well. It just doesn't have the fancy sweeping color fades and lighting effects that it's big brothers have. As far as game play, the only difference is the left saucer. It can more often than a Prem/LE, kick the ball directly to the right outlane. But if you're ready for it, a good nudge can usually deflect it. I view it as an extra random challenge. Nothing more. I love my pro and it's not going anywhere!!
DSCN0076 (resized).JPGDSCN0076 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#8178 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Once the mode timer reaches zero in each mode, a "Final Shot" sequence is activated. All shots are active, but one is flashing (or alternating colors, I can't really remember which).

alternating colors

#8195 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Thanks!
Looks like mine is an original build then, no "V".

Vaults didn't come out until may 2018. I also have a 2016 and playfield clear coat is rock solid!

#8205 4 years ago

Also, don't forget to check the dilithium crystals!
Too many shots to the warp ramp can drain them prematurely.

#8214 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

I do have my Premium Vault listed if anyone knows of a good home for it. I love the game but looking to change it up, and this one is too nice to loan out or lend to a pub.

I would buy it if I didn't already have a pro.

#8219 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Sell the pro and upgrade to a premium, it’s the logical thing to do!

Nope. I modded the shit out of mine and it's beautiful now.

1 week later
#8231 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Calling all crew members... Red alert.
JJP's POTC is actually beating STNG for the best pinball machine of all time.
I personally call bullsh1t... but the votes aren't lying.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-3-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition

Ya, and Whirlwind beat The Hobbit.

1 week later
#8237 4 years ago

That is Badass!
I bought a large RGB plasma plate on eBay years ago for around 60.00 USD. I still have it. I installed it in a juke box I built. But where did you get this one with the SF mask?

#8240 4 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

hi
the plasma disc is called
Eurolite plasma disc 30 cm
i could provide the stainless steel ring for 80$ shipped[quoted image]

Thanks

2 weeks later
#8275 3 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Picking up a pro tomorrow! Anyone know if the movie soundtrack is still around to download?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/161

** Scroll to post# 8021 and use the Amazon download link I provided. There is a download option on upper right of screen.

1 week later
#8302 3 years ago

Did anyone ever figure out where to get these? Marco is still out of stock..

MINI COIL AND CONNECTOR ASSEMBLY for Stern STAR TREK
#511-7510-00

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-7510-00

#8306 3 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Will this work? Appears to be the same, but without the wires/connector.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-relay-coil-090-5060-01-nd.html

From what I read previously on this thread, no. Not sure if specs and diode are correct. But adding the wire/connector should be no problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/162#post-5410084

1 week later
#8318 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Awesome thanks John I totally missed this in the instructions, I’ll check this out tomorrow and report back.
Also if anyone hasn’t already got Zitts Nebula mod grab it, it’s super subtle but looks amazing in a darkened room!

+1 on the Nebula Mod. But the install takes a little effort. But great instructions included.

3 weeks later
#8379 3 years ago

Here is my recommended mod list for ST pro..

1) Color DMD LCD
2) Shaker motor
3) Sub woofer
4) Aurich art package (trans+decal+stickers+instruction cards)
5) Plastic protectors
6) Cliffy's for plastic ramps and shooter lane
7} Under cab lighting (blue)
8) Vengeance explosion mod
9) Vengeance visor kit
10) Zitt's Vengeance nacelle diffusers
11) Zitt's warp ramp red LED mod
12) Zitt's pop bumper caps
13) Zitt's nebula mod
14) Warp ramp Chaser lights
15) Warp ramp insignia diffuser
16) PinGraffix Pin Blades
17) Titan Rubbers (Blue with Orange flippers and slings)
18) Speakerlightkits.com Speaker RGB Lights with acrylic Star Fleet emblem grill
19) Service rails (under playfield)
20) Custom movie sound track code 1.62

#8380 3 years ago

BTW, I bought one of these to connect all four of my pins to my sub woofer. It works great. But I only ever play one machine at a time, so not a problem. If multiple people want to play different machines at the same time, I just shut off the sub. Less noise any way.

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinsmx-passive-subwoofer-mixer

#8382 3 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Remember to clean your game ever so often with naptha and novus 2 and come back with carnuba wax. I like blitz wax but there is lots to choose from. Change your balls out maybe every 6 months or a year to make sure no pitting develops that can scratch up your playfield and plastic
Ramps. And when you are ready, upgrade your rubbers to something like Titan rubbers that not only have lots of colors to choose from to make your pin unique, but last a long time and have great bounce.
Titan also sells a clear plastic that goes around the flipper buttons that is like thick saran wrap to prevent wear and dirt to develop there.

Why are you using Naptha? No need to remove old wax. Also, no need for Novus 2 unless you have ground in dirt swirls or scratches to remove. All you need to do is clean rubbers off and then blow out loose particles with high pressure air or vacuum out and then Novus 1 to clean. Then wax. Far less work and you're not removing clear coat with the abrasive Novus 2 for no reason.

#8384 3 years ago

People confuse home use with commercial use all the time. Even if I was retired, I couldn't imagine wearing out pin balls when owning multiple games. The only time Naptha is needed is when you are planning to repaint or clear coat a playfield.

1 week later
#8397 3 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

I've been working on a Romulan Ale concoction to enjoy while playing Star Trek.

I'll have to try this because UV Blue Raspberry vodka makes me sick.
Also, a Romulan Ale party sounds in order for us ST owners!

#8404 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Im loving watching Star Trek Continues on youtube. If you have not seen it it is a fan made continuation of the og series. You do have to aclimate to the actors but man!, this is too cool! I have not seen them all but so far ep 3 is my fav. For true trekkies only.

WOW!
Never heard of this show until now. I watched it and it's so true to TOS, it's unbelievable!
Thanks!

#8411 3 years ago

I just have one on the left side flasher as I don't like how they look so much, but the effect is awesome!

#8412 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Honestly I thought they would be crap also ..... so I made a set and they look fantastic

Is that the asteroid from Marco?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-7850-00

Did it come with everything needed to mount it to your pro?
Thanks

#8428 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Nope its this one.... It's funny as last week I only Pais 50 each WTF.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-7519-00

Ya there's no way I'm paying $89.00 F***in dollars plus shipping for it!
But Thanks..

#8490 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

This Promium IMO will smoke a stock Prem. in every way in gameplay and features . The LE is a different story but would still be needing much of what I want but at over 9k investment. Toooo much for me.

Exactly my logic..
And this holds true for most Stern games. Over modding will loose money on resale, but I don't care because I keep my games for a long time and get the value out of them. Besides, I love modding big time! It's the funnest part for me.

#8491 3 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Really? It allows programmers the ability to code in a lot of really cool effects that otherwise would not be able to be achieved. Being so used to playing my Pre, I find it very difficult to enjoy playing on a Pro, which seems quite dull and poorly lit in comparison.

ST pro has RGB in all the inserts. And I have noticed that the colored inserts give a better more saturated color than the clear inserts. The pro lacks the fancy color washes and effects, but it is very well lit and colorful! I enjoy my heavily modded pro just as much as the premium, but I would much rather have my mods than the stock bling of the prem for the money, and I still spent a lot less. But if I had hundred dollar bills falling out my ass, I would buy all LE's and Prem.

#8495 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Everybody just take a deep breath and stop acting like a bunch of Klingons

Klingons are circling Uranus as we speak!

#8500 3 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Ever been to a show or friends house and played a heavily modded pin that plays poorly? Thats when it goes too far.

No, what kind of mods would do this?

#8510 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Quickly off topic, what’s the issue with the hammer? I ask as I’m currently looking at a Met Prem.

Get the Prem if the price is right! But some people complain that the hammer/coffin lock mech slow down flow. This is a complaint on several Prem/LE vs Pro models due to added features.

#8547 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I did this not by reducing the switch gap, but by reducing the preload of the spoon switch.

I don't quite understand what you're saying? Could you be more specific?
I'm interested as my screw was broken off when I got the machine. I put a Glue Dot there for now. But it doesn't last and eventually comes unstuck.
Thanks.
shopping (resized).pngshopping (resized).png

1 week later
#8607 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Those would be awesome if the proportions were better between the nacelles and the saucer. They should have shrunk the whole thing a bit if they ran out of room rather than give it a teeny tiny saucer.

No, it's not a small saucer, they're bigger nacelles!

DdaCCoFWsAEstku (resized).jpgDdaCCoFWsAEstku (resized).jpg
#8613 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I will do my best to explain.

Ahh! Thanks. And I also worry about over sensitive pops machine gunning. I blew an IC chip that way once.
Thanks!

1 week later
#8652 3 years ago
Quoted from mnrocketry:

Joined the club today. Bought a HUO Stern Star Trek Pro. Only mod in it is a shaker motor.

Don't forget Aurich's package!

2 weeks later
#8687 3 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

I am upgrading my membership in the Star Trek Club - why, you ask? Because if I could have only 1 pin - Star Trek LE would be it....
yup, that's a nib LE
woo-hoo!!!
[quoted image]

Best LE of all time!!

3 weeks later
#8755 3 years ago

And you fire the photon torpedoes by hitting the action button on lock down bar during Vengeance battles.

#8772 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

I wanted to post a recent experience I had with the optos on my new to me Star Trek LE.

Thanks very much for posting this!!
I book marked it just in case I need to come back to it. I just have a pro, but I did install the warp ramp chaser light strip from Mezelmods (that they no longer sell). Lucky I didn't run into this problem.

3 weeks later
#8867 3 years ago

3 months later
#9328 3 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

For most of my life, I really disliked STTMP, until I saw it in the theater for the 40th anniversary. I imagined what it must be like having only seen 1701 on a small TV screen, and then seeing it larger than life (so to speak) on a movie screen, and I finally understood and loved it.
I think TMP is one of those films that was amazing to see in a movie theater, but translated very poorly to TV...

It's still has the best story IMO! Truly a Star Trek story. You have to be a science fiction lover to appreciate it though. I loved it as a kid when it came out, but I was reading science fiction back then. All my friends hated it! Not enough battles and explosions I guess.

#9336 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

It's ok... Your opinion; is like yours man.
https://collider.com/star-trek-movies-ranked/
People have spoken... STID is the worst film. Period.
I agree with this authors assessment... It's way worse than ST:V.
STID made me so physically angry that I would have thrown something at the movie screen if i weren't at Alamo Draft House. The STID turd is truly a work of pure garbage.

The worst Star Trek movie of all time was 'The Final Frontier'! That thing is so bad, I marvel that the actors even agreed to do it! I also loved Into Darkness.

#9352 3 years ago

The JJ ST films where only ever about pop corn munching fun! That's all I expected from them. The majority of people aren't cerebral about science fiction. I fact, 'The Motion Picture' was too cerebral for most. Look at all the Marvel movies now. When will it end? How many people even read novels anymore?

#9353 3 years ago

I've noticed my ST pro auto ball launcher is too week to launch the ball into the pops now. I don't remember it being this way before? It just makes it to right orbit now and rolls down to upper right flipper.

#9356 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Check the launcher to make sure good centered contact is being made. Then I would check the coil sleeve. You may just need a little bit of cleaning.

Thanks. I didn't remember this being normal. Haven't played it for a while.

#9362 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah it should definitely be able to make the pops. In fact if you hold down the left flipper button when you launch, it should easily come all the way around for your super skill shot. Besides making sure the forks are centered, also make sure the mech mounting screws didn't loosen up, and check the coil sleeve and coil stop.

Thanks!

Update.. Coil sleeve didn't help. This is a real PITA it turns out! Threads on this problem reveal many possible causes including shooter lane Cliffy's (which I have). I'll have to spend some time on this.

1 week later
#9384 3 years ago

Well, I finally got around to mounting an Enterprise in my pro. I wasn't about to pay for that proper size Hallmark version, but I bought this HotWheels one for 10 dollars off eBay... ebay.com link: 2017 HW Star Trek USS Enterprise NCC 1701 HW Screen Time Starship FREE SHIPPING

Here's some pics. I like it!

DSCN0010 (resized).JPGDSCN0010 (resized).JPGDSCN0012 (resized).JPGDSCN0012 (resized).JPGDSCN0013 (resized).JPGDSCN0013 (resized).JPG

#9397 3 years ago

Well, I played around with the auto launcher on my ST pro and it launches powerful for the first several games and then starts to get weak. it does this consistently. This coil does not have a diode. Tried new sleeve and spring and all kinds of fork and linkage adjustments. It's the coil warming up and getting week. I will order a new coil for it. Coil 23-800
* Question???
- How do you upsize a coil to the next more powerful one?

#9400 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Find the real reason why that is happening.

How do you explain that it starts off powerful for roughly a couple dozen launches, and then gets weak consistently?
If you got a better suggestion, lets hear it! That is why I posted this!

A couple hypotheses:

- Inductors are subject to heat and usually the insulation between the windings is what breaks down over time.
- the permeability of the iron core is highly dependent on the concentration of elemental iron. Oxidation of the iron quickly dilutes the concentration of the iron metal. The strength of the iron core inductor falls quickly and cheap shit is made in China all the time!

#9402 3 years ago

Thank you! I can feel it get slightly warmer, but not anywhere near hot.

#9404 3 years ago

If I knew how to upsize a 23- 800 coil, I would order one to try.

#9406 3 years ago

Thanks!! But I just spoke to a tech at Marco and he did not recommend upsizing the coil. Instead, he agreed to change it with the correct one which is now on order. If this doesn't work, I could be looking at a possible MOSFET problem.

#9435 3 years ago

OK,
I replaced the auto launch coil and no change. A recap...
New coil, spring, sleeve, no binding found. Installed clips to eliminate side to side play in linkage, adjusted fork so perfect and equal contact with ball.
Shoots nice to the pops for roughly first dozen times then starts to get weak. After a couple dozen times, it can barley make it to the playfield! Coil barely gets warm. WTF is going on? Spoke to a tech at Pinball Classics and he said it's extremely unlikely that it's the driver board. He told me to check for binding. There is none. So what now?

Could it be a bad IDC connector just causing enough resistance to affect things only after coil warms up slightly? I'm reaching now!

#9437 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Turn on the game, start a game, but don’t launch the ball. Let it sit like that for about 30 minutes. Then launch the ball. What happens?
I’m assuming the first launch after sitting like that will be very soft, but let’s do the experiment first to see.
The thing I’m checking here is, is it with usage, or not. The reason to put the game in that state is so everything is powered. Make sure the coin door is shut, and the game is started, but not launched.

Thank you for responding!!
I tried what you said and you were right! It happens just from being turned on, not from usage! My previous tests were from a cold startup. So what does this mean? I would assume a board problem after all then?

#9439 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Can you check the control transistor temperature at start, then after 30min? (do you have an IR temperature reader?)
Alternatively, put a fan toward this transistor to cool it (its not a solution, it's a test )
Also, can you measure if you have a leakage current in the coil even when it's not used

Thank you!
I will check this tomorrow after I get up... I'm on night shift this week. I have an amp meter, so I will check for leakage. I don't have an IR temp reader, but may be able to borrow one, but it won't be for another week or so. Keep in mind that this coil does not use a diode. I'll touch test the transistor (Q2). I'll post here when I have something for you!
Question??
MOSFET transistors don't have a predriver transistor like on the old system 11 boards, correct?

#9450 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That would be correct. MOSFETs are voltage devices; were BJTs are current devices. The Gate of a mosfet is an insulator; so they only need to charge the capacitor of the gate. BJT needs a beta's current to maintain the current flow between the Collector and Emitter.
Always check the schematic; as MOSFETs may have a "inverting buffer" to use a different polarity in the application circuit.

Thank you!

1 week later
#9458 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OK,
I replaced the auto launch coil and no change. A recap...
New coil, spring, sleeve, no binding found. Ball stop and plunger/link good. Installed clips to eliminate side to side play in linkage, adjusted fork so perfect and equal contact with ball.
Shoots nice to the pops for first several minutes then starts to get weak. After a about 10 min. it can barley make it to the playfield! Coil barely gets warm. This happens only after a game is started (whether played or not). WTF is going on? Spoke to a tech at Pinball Classics and he said it's extremely unlikely that it's the driver board. He told me to check for binding. There is none. So what now?

Well, I replaced the J8 IDC connector with a Molex connector and Trifurcon crimps. No change on my ball launcher. Now I ordered a new P40NF10L MOSFET Solenoid Driver to replace Q2. So we'll see if that works.
I was measuring .7 vdc across auto launch coil when idle with no current flow measured (if that means anything). MOSFET Q2 never gets warm to the touch.

3 weeks later
#9535 3 years ago
Quoted from joshvandam:

Super excited to say that after legit 5 years of owning Stern Star Trek pro I finally got to the 5 year mission final wizard mode about an hour ago. Bumped it up to 5 ball but completed it in 4. Has to be one of the hardest modes in all of pinball to get. Ended up with my grand champion score and some other things too but could care less about that in comparison to hitting that 5 year mission. Anyone else ever made it?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOW!!!
And hell no! If you lived by me, I'd ask for lessons!!

#9536 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Star trek is SUUUUUCH a better game than AC/DC. this should NOT be a close call. Go vote!

Yup. I love the band! But not the machine. But, I don't like lower playfields much or clip art. I'm sure I would enjoy it, but not as much as ST. I'd much rather have a Metallica and I don't even care for the band.

1 week later
#9570 3 years ago

OK,
I finally figured out my auto launcher problem. I turned out to be the Cliffy protectors! I bought the 3 piece set and the side rail metal guard was fine, but the other two that install in the bottom left and right of the shooter lane were causing the ball to mis launch. The crazy thing about all this, was that it ALWAYS started off fine and got weaker and weaker as time went on until it couldn't even make it to the playfield! WTF?? This made me think it was an electrical problem. So be warned. My pitch is set at 7 degrees. And this is not something you can see by watching. I never had a problem with the Cliffy's on my other tables either!

#9572 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Why 7? Have you tried the recommended 6.5?

Yes. And it plays much better at 7!!

3 months later
#9763 2 years ago

ectobar is a guru on ST!

4 weeks later
#9794 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Also what is the recommended reference for a replacement transistor?
Thanks and regards

I replaced Q2 with a P40NF10L MOSFET Solenoid Driver. Looks to be the same one.

3 months later
#9961 2 years ago
Quoted from Whatsuprdk123:

I was having a problem with only the photon torpedo lights and seem to have fixed it (for the last 6 months at least) by securing the other end of the cable with an elastic band. The other connection point is near the drop target and my hypotheses was that the vibration from the drop target solenoid was causing the plug to become slightly unseated.

Try hot glue.

1 month later
#10036 2 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I keep all of my pins on 5 ball as well.

I like 5 ball too, but pinhead friends don't like it because they play on location all the time and see some of the same games there. This is why co-op is so cool. I had it on my ACNC and now on my Hotwheels. We can play 3 ball against each other and then do a co-op together to try to beat the machine! You get to see the upper levels of the game and it's a load of fun! Also can compete as two teams of two or even all three players against one (which nobody ever does) LOL! All new games need this feature IMO! Stern Star Trek with it's nearly impossible to reach '5 Year Mission' wizard mode would be a great candidate for co-op mode!

4 months later
#10265 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Cannot strongly enough recommend. Zitt's nebula mod is one of my favorites.

And Zitt's pop bumper caps are the nicest I have ever seen! Well worth the money!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_outlane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only?tu=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.