PXL_20240127_043801582.MP (resized).jpg
Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flyfalcons.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8375 3 years ago

Just wanted to say hi! After discovering how fun pinball can be a couple years ago, and putting in numerous hours on Pinball Arcade and FX3 as well as pins in various barcades, I decided I was going to get an upcoming digital pinball table from Arcade1Up to round out my new game room. I was set on the AFM virtual machine, as I was convinced it would also include some other excellent Williams tables that I have grown to love. However, after the Coronavirus hit and dealing with the stress associated with pretty much everything 2020 has had to offer, I decided screw it, sometimes you need to treat yourself a bit. Though MMr and AFMr were in strong contention, I also wanted to consider that my young kids would be playing as well as friends who, in casual play, might not be unlocking the more exciting modes in those games. This led me to bring another favorite of mine, Stern's #StarTrek, to the top of my short list. For me, it pretty much has everything going for it. A theme I enjoy and artwork/colors that look great, exciting sound, great gameplay flow, and it is very satisfying to hit the Vengeance ship and warp ramp. It is family-friendly and even brand new players should be able to pull off some exciting shots and see the light shows. Some measuring ensued to make sure a full size Pinball would work in the game room, and the decision was made.

After a bit of browsing and waiting, I spotted a NIB Pro model being offered for sale here on Pinside. A message and some phone calls and texts ensued to see about shipping the box across the country, and unfortunately the seller was unable to find a shipping rate that we felt would be reasonable. However, many thanks to elcolonel for being gracious enough to steer me toward Jason at Classic Game Rooms. Jason had one Pro Vault left, and was able to secure shipping at a good rate to my home near Seattle. The deal was made, and after three long weeks of waiting (including days of the box sitting in my garage while I was on a work trip), I was finally able to unbox the game and join the Star Trek club.

Though I had only played the Premium and LE in the bars, I am pleased that the Pro model is lacking very little that adds excitement to the game. I have already installed a shaker motor (which died quickly due to the known controller board issue) and speaker lights to add a little flair. Other mods that need to be installed when I can pull myself away from the flippers include a Polk PSW10 external subwoofer and a mezelmods kickout protector. I'd love to find an Enterprise model to mount in the cabinet, but to be honest I don't find myself missing it too much from the LE model. I also keep debating on getting an alternate translite from eBay.

We've had the game set up for close to a week now, and have about 120 plays on it. I love it, my little girls love it, and my wife even likes to take some turns as well. I'm hoping to get through this entire thread and learn as much as I can about maintaining the machine and getting many years of exciting play out of it. What an excellent game this is!

0608200948_HDR (resized).jpg0608200948_HDR (resized).jpg0612201541_HDR (resized).jpg0612201541_HDR (resized).jpg0612201904 (resized).jpg0612201904 (resized).jpg0613200834 (resized).jpg0613200834 (resized).jpg0616201932_HDR (resized).jpg0616201932_HDR (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8394 3 years ago

I've been working on a Romulan Ale concoction to enjoy while playing Star Trek. I was thinking it would involve Bombay Sapphire, but inspiration struck while walking through the beverage aisle at the grocery store today. Gatorade Cool Blue and Vodka. So good it should be illegal in the Federation.

0627201929 (resized).jpg0627201929 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#8527 3 years ago

Super happy to find out tonight that yes, a Pingulp can hold a somewhat larger glass of Klingon Bloodwine. Had my best score of the day when I brought a glass over!

0713202004_HDR (resized).jpg0713202004_HDR (resized).jpg

1 week later
#8600 3 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Awesome! I actually do tech support for Beechjets and Premiers for Textron when I’m not fixing games at the business. Just started that back in October. Before that, I was an Avionics Tech On the floor for 19 years.

Ha, and I was just thinking I need to stop by The Arcade next time I have a Wichita overnight, usually when I drop a plane off at the Bombardier service center.

1 week later
#8631 3 years ago

What in the world?!? That's an impressive air ball catch, launched from somewhere around the warp ramp. I thought it was wedged in and was preparing to pull the glass off, but a few ball searches seemed to shake the ball loose. Fortunately it landed in the shooter lane and not the outlane. Still loving this machine.

0804201904_HDR (resized).jpg0804201904_HDR (resized).jpg

#8642 3 years ago

Play it and have fun!

1 week later
#8676 3 years ago

So I had the last mode of the first missions round active while playing Klingon multiball today. As the mission ended with Klingon still active, the Vengeance lights illuminated to start Kobiyashi Maru. Soon after, the flippers died and I figured the game was forcing me out of multiball to begin Kobiyashi. However, after both balls drained, the game ended with my ball 3 bonus and match animation. Now when I start a game, the ball eject fires twice and two balls are put into play. I have removed the balls, unplugged the machine, etc, but the error still occurs.

Is this the type of thing that a software reload can fix?

#8681 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Sounds like a trough switch/opto problem. Try reseating any connectors going to them and make sure your solder joints are ok and the optos themselves are clean and aligned.

Okay so I started by removing, inspecting, and switch testing the trough opto. All checks good. I go to switch diagnostics and see the #4 trough ball switch shows active, even when all balls are removed. Perhaps the game registers all balls in the trough and determines one is stuck, launching again. A check of that switch finds a mounting screw had completely backed out - that must be it! So I remove the screw, check all wires, try to test it on the diagnostic page and it continues to show closed. In fact, all three switches on the red/white return line show active. The other two switches are the Red Target #6, which seems fine, and the upper opto switch under the Vengeance (ball lock). Sticking my finger in the ball lock, I can get the opto switch to show off when blocking the light beam. When I do that, the other two switches on the return line function normally. I can get to the right side, so I remove the plastic over it and notice the sensor is loose. That must be it! Tighten up the screws and.......nothing. Same problem. Getting to the left side looks pretty involved, with removal of the warp ramp and Alpha quadrant ramp. Before doing that, I grab some felt pads, jam them in the ball lock area to block the upper opto switch, start a game, and.......one ball ejects like it should. Looks like I'm in for a long afternoon of removing stuff in hopes that the problem is with the left side opto switch. Fun times.

#8685 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

You will probably find many loosened screws throughout the machine. They do cause issues like this and really need to be tightened occasionally.

Thank you, I am on the road now but just ordered a new pair of optos from Pinball Life in case mine are bad. Before I left on my trip, I was able to stick a pencil into the left side opto hole and it seemed that the opto was securely in place, so it may have just gone bad. I found an old thread here regarding upper opto issues in this game and I imagine my experience is not new. I was surprised to find no thread locker was used in the ball trough switches, I know it's not really an option when threading into plastic or wood but would be useful when threaded into metal. Looking forward to getting back home and getting the issue resolved.

#8688 3 years ago

Wow, score!

#8707 3 years ago
Quoted from sebgrinke:

I'm thinking it must be a pipe/cable clamp or clip...

That's what it looks like to me, Amazon has all sorts of cable clamps available.

1 week later
#8746 3 years ago

I am trying to recall when the right gate goes down. I know it happens when you get the Galactic Away Team that lights the lanes, but I do not remember if the right gate drops when you complete three in a row to get Super Pops. Not sure if the right gate stays down any other time during the game.

#8751 3 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Thank you, I am on the road now but just ordered a new pair of optos from Pinball Life in case mine are bad. Before I left on my trip, I was able to stick a pencil into the left side opto hole and it seemed that the opto was securely in place, so it may have just gone bad. I found an old thread here regarding upper opto issues in this game and I imagine my experience is not new. I was surprised to find no thread locker was used in the ball trough switches, I know it's not really an option when threading into plastic or wood but would be useful when threaded into metal. Looking forward to getting back home and getting the issue resolved.

Finally got my issue resolved after replacing the upper opto switch under the Vengeance to no avail. The opto board that this switch plugs into was bad. Not something normally carried at the usual online spots so I had to go to Stern through my distro to get another one. Glad to be back at 100%, though in the meantime I steepened the playfield pitch and now I suck again at this game.

#8768 3 years ago

Save The Enterprise is from Into Darkness.

#8780 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Finally in the club with a Pro Vault.
I really do think this is the best shooting pro Stern has ever made, even with everything thats been released to this point.
So much fun.

Welcome and agreed! I also find the Vengeance shot to be very satisfying for people new to pinball, as the ship reacts dramatically just for hitting it with a single shot.

2 weeks later
#8853 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just played today first time I’ve come on this but I did an away team shot and it said supper ramps is quailed but it also must have been the last shot timer so it just sent me into the pick a mission routine. Must be a bug because if super ramps were qualified that would have added time etc.

The Away Team shot also functions to start the next mode when it is flashing. You had probably just completed the third mission on the right side of the triangle, which gives you three in a row and super ramps.

#8854 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

sorry it said galactic ramps are lit (or galactic warp ramp is lit) can't remember but it did say 'galactic' not 'super' (that was my mistake when I said super ramps).

Sorry, missed this reply when I responded to the previous quote.

#8859 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Anyone have a secret technique they use to hit that away team shot? I'm struggling for sure.
D

What I do is hit and hold both flippers at the same time when hitting the ball off the left flipper. It's a distraction to me to raise the right the right flipper first. Still a challenging and fun shot.

#8868 3 years ago
Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

Curious what Stern Star Trek Pro is valued at ?
It is huo , with about 750 plays
has color dmd
Aurich translite
side blades
a couple additional toy ships installed
thanks much

These are still available NIB so keep that in mind when deciding what a used game is worth to you and what value you place on the mods already installed. To me, 750 plays is barely touched, but most likely past infant mortality issues on the parts.

1 month later
#8991 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Just curious - does everyone having issues own one of the newer vault games? The optos look different on the vaults versus the original run.

I had an opto board go bad on mine. 2019 Pro Vault.

3 weeks later
#9084 3 years ago

Besides the warp shot, the only other one I can think of is to hold the left flipper to lift the gates and allow the ball to plunge around the orbit, out the spinner, and a red combo light will flash quickly indicating the skill shot to hit.

#9097 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Can anyone list the skillshots on ST? I just realised after playing AIQ and hitting all the skillshots on that game I don’t think I’ve ever hit a skillshot on my LE other than the warp skill shot but I haven’t seen what that was worth pointswise.

I just verified on my game, the Warp skill shot is 500,000 and the "lift the flipper" orbit skill shot is 1,000,000. I played another game where the only warp skill shot I made was on ball 2 or 3 and that was worth 600,000. So somehow the value can be increased.

3 weeks later
#9206 3 years ago

Drinkin' and playin' tonight. It's going to be a long time before I consider selling this one. I'm going to add a second pin soon, but whatever I get will probably be cycled through before letting my Trek go. Such a fun game!

0108211940 (resized).jpg0108211940 (resized).jpg

#9211 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

AUDIO QUESTION.
The bottom speaker on mine is just a speaker it seems. And it's not very loud. Is it supposed to be more of a speaker or woofer? Are there gains we can adjust?
Really considering getting a subwoofer for it now after realizing it's not that great of a speaker. Concerned it's got a blown cone (no clue how that would happen).

It's just a speaker. I added an external subwoofer to my game and it makes a big difference when I use it.

And I agree on the Vengeance shot. It was important for me in selecting a game, that I could have friends over or let my kids play, that there would be a relatively simple goal to steer them toward that has a big payoff. The Vengeance fills that role well. Despite my kids being Dinosaur nuts, Jurassic Park just doesn't have that singular wow shot. Neither do a lot of other games that are highly regarded by serious players here. Doesn't mean I don't like them either, but a game in my home needs to appeal to all experience and skill levels.

#9235 3 years ago
Quoted from smersh:

Can u folks give me the ultimate speaker replacement for Star Trek and what would be killer in Areosmith?

Instead of replacing, I added a Polk external subwoofer under the cabinet. Really fills out the sound well.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa

#9247 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I'm thinking about purchasing a ST Pro here this weekend....I've played one before and really love it. But, I cant' find a matrix that lists the dif between a pro and premium. the Pinside ratings are quite a bit different for the two, but what is the real diff? I dont' want to start a row, just would like to understand what makes the Premimu so much better? (or is that the LE?) I don't know...

One of the reasons I chose this game on a Pro budget is because the Pro is missing very little in gameplay versus the higher trims. Not all Sterns can claim that. And just a few simple mods can bring more excitement and bling to this game. If a Pro is what you're thinking, then I doubt you would be disappointed.

1 week later
#9321 3 years ago

Into Darkness was pretty bad. But we did get three Vengeance modes from it so I'll cut it some slack.

#9350 3 years ago

Someone reskin Stern Trek with a TNG theme and slap a Borg cube or Romulan ship where the Vengeance goes and now you're talking.

1 month later
#9543 3 years ago

Remember that the photons don't work in Vengeance Scoring and Vengeance battle, so after Vengeance Multiball, I use them to get credit toward activating a Vengeance mode. That drop target can give the ball a really nasty bounce SDTM, especially when hit off the left flipper, so I maximize using the photons to reduce risk.

I also fully agree with DaveH's strategy for multiball as the best way to complete it.

#9551 3 years ago

I have only adjusted the master volume control.

1 month later
#9672 2 years ago
Quoted from shaunpurslow:

Howdy guys. I bought an ST Pro back at the beginning of the year and I have to say, it is my absolute favorite machine. I just love how it flows so perfectly AND I never feel like it's "out to get me" if that makes any sense. If I miss a shot it's not the end of the world and I can recover fairly easily. Other machines I have feel like the entire table is set to drain a ball for even the smallest mistake. (I'm looking at you.. Stranger Things..)
Anyway, I love this game so much I am thinking about upgrading to a premium/LE when one becomes available in my area.
So my question to you long term Trek fans... What other games out there play like a Star Trek? What should I consider for future purchases?

A bit different layout, but if you like buttery smooth gameplay, LZ really is a lovely game. I bought a BKSOR Pro to sit alongside my ST Pro, and really enjoy it, but it is most definitely out to get you.

0510211958a (resized).jpg0510211958a (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#9713 2 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Mine is a Sep 2015 build. I'm not sure if that would be considered an original run, or Vault

Vaults have a "final voyage" badge.

#9716 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Not all of them, apparently. My Vault Pro didn't come with the badge, but it has a "V" on the serial number label. I got mine when the Vaults just starting shipping....maybe the Final Voyage badge was for the last batch when the Vault run was ending?[quoted image]

Ah no kidding, I thought they all had it. Now off to sell my super rare collectible badge for $15,000.....

#9717 2 years ago

Double post

1 week later
#9728 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And by the way, did you ever finish the last first level mode at the left saucer (Pro), and as it released, just slap it into Kobayashi Maru at the Vengeance? It was an instant reaction before I had time to even get nervous it was lit. For about 3 seconds I posed with my arms up as my medals counted.
In other words, I still love this damn game.

Just wait until you hit Warp 9.1 before the medal count and finding out double scoring applies to them, too. Big money!

3 weeks later
#9770 2 years ago

That's impressive! Best for me is 9 missions completed, only halfway to 5Y.

3 months later
#9903 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Thanks for the replies. I'll enjoy playing it for a while and then decide how brave I feel regarding removing it.
Does anyone know what rivets and tool I would need?

A center punch, drill bit, and awl (pin punch) will pop the rivets off no problem. Drill from the manufactured head side partway through, then stick the awl in and pop it free. The shop head will fall out easily.

You will need a rivet squeezer to put new rivets back in. Your best bet is to go to an aircraft maintenance shop and see if they'll rivet it for a few bucks. Or see if there are any aircraft homebuilders near by.

#9917 2 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

Hi all!
Just got a ST LE and my center shot under the Vengeance is not registering. The optos are working as the points count but when I make the shot in a mode it does not count it as a hit.
Any ideas on what would cause that?
Also will not register ball lock.

Typically the drop target is always up except when the lock is lit and during Vengeance modes. You said the optos are good but it the drop target behaving?

1 month later
#9984 2 years ago

My best is still Kobiyahi Maru plus maybe three or four missions. Doubt I will ever see Five Year Mission. That's 18 modes plus two wizards to get there!

#9995 2 years ago

Kobiyahsi is lit when the first level of all missions is complete. Captains Chair for finishing three in a row, honestly I'm not sure what that does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flyfalcons.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only?tu=flyfalcons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.