Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG
DSCN3234 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chinosts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 10 years ago

Hey there all... I've just signed up to this site and found this thread.. I just bought a STTNG and am loving it.. Its always been my favorite machine and am glad I have finally secured one.. I was just wondering if anyone has any good advice on LED mods for this machine.. The guy I bought it off had replaced some of the lights under the playfield with LEDs but I am keen to replace most if not all of the lights.

What is the best option for this machine? I definitely fancy putting some color-cycling / flashing LEDs in there. I also would love to put some more color in there somewhere.. Purple / blue seems to look good on the outlanes but I would love to hear someone's expert opinion..

Cheers!

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Looks like I won't be joining the club. My deal fell through.
If anybody lives in Canada and wants to sell their Minty STTNG I will buy it! I really want this game!!

Sorry to hear that Quarter... Don't despair you will get one if you keep trying! I just got one this week. It came out of storage in Italy somewhere I think.. It was filthy when I first saw it but came up beautiful after being in the shop for a week and a bit..

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I want to thank everyone for joining the Star Trek Pinball Club. Tonight I made some flipper decals for all of you. I made decals for Star Trek, T2 and TSPP.

Thanks dude!

#111 10 years ago

Whick LED socket type should I be getting when ordering LEDS for my STTNG? 44/47 or 555?

I dont really understand the difference right now...

Cheers!

#113 10 years ago

As I mentioned before. If this is your first time adding LED's you should consider getting the "Kit" from coin taker. Not only will you save money it will be less frustrating. You will have a range of Different lights. Push-N-Twist and Push. Just get the kit Which I think may still be on sale with Free upgrade to Non-Ghosting LED's when you buy the kit.

Hey dude...

Yeah Im not really keen to get the kit and really just want to try a few different colors to start with...

e.g. I want to change the left and right outer lanes / ball drains to Purple / Blue. I would love to change the Kingon Bird of Prey lights to red and the borg ship lights to the brighest green lights I can get. Also, I want to change some of the under plastic lights on outer left and right to cool white frosted.

As you can see I want to be picky about what I change and do it in a slowly measured way rather than just buying a full kit for $200+.

It would of been great to have a definitive bulb type list before I jumped in and bought some...

Cheers again for all your help!

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I went with Cointakers Super 906 Greens for my borg ship along with the green acrylic windows from Pinbits. The result sounds like what your looking for.

Yep!!!! that is awesome... So are those Cointaker Super 906's 44 or 555 bulbs?

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I went with Cointakers Super 906 Greens for my borg ship along with the green acrylic windows from Pinbits. The result sounds like what your looking for.

On a closer look... it does seem like your Neutral Zone is getting a little smashed by the green.. How do you find it?

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

Well the first pic is when borg multiball starts. There is no ball in play when it looks like that. I have no problems seeing the NZ otherwise.

Nice... I had already decided I loved the result!!! Awesome work...

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

Neither, they are 906 flashers =) For your GI/Inserts/Controlled lamps you will have a mix of 44/555 and for your flashers you will have 906/89. If you look in the manual there are diagrams with all the lamps/flashers and which is used for each. For specific colors you are going to have to actually look at and lift your playfield.

OK!!!! That is about the clearest answer I have recieved yet on how I need to go about to replace bulbs in my STTNG.. Look in the manual is a great idea (why didnt I think of that!) and from what I hear you saying is that there are definitively 3 different socket types for LEDs in STTNG?

#126 10 years ago

Ok so here are the areas that I want to do first.. Could someone tell me what bulb types (44, 555 or flashers) are required for each 'zone'.

Zone 1:left out lane
Zone 2: Right out lane
Zone 3: left under plastic
Zone 4: Middle shield indicators
Zone 5: right under plastics
Zone 6: Kingon Bird of prey
Zone 7: Pop bumpers and lane lights (not sure if this is the real name for them)
Zone 8: Romulan Warbird

Cheers!

led-placements.jpgled-placements.jpg

#134 10 years ago

BTW guys... thanks for everyone's help with the LED questions.. I'm feeling silly because I finally bothered to look in the manual (after everyone told me to do so) and found the diagrams for each light type I was looking for...

Feeling like a noob.. Probably because I am one...

#175 10 years ago

Yeah I've seen some videos of STTNGs with a colour changer on the Command Decision / Start Mission.. looks awesome.. I wonder what all the under playfield lights would look like with colour changers??? aka WOZ...

#176 10 years ago

Hey.... I'm looking for a Neutral Zone 'Cliffy' but they seem to be sold out everywhere.. Does anyone have a spare or know where I can still get one?

#178 10 years ago

Sorry... double post...

Post edited by chinosts : Double post

#181 10 years ago

Here is one. But its not the kind you want. It doesn't have the lip that protects the edge. Its kinda funny, I never removed the plastic on mine.
URL: http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/star-trek-the-next-generation-neutral-zone-protector-p-3678.html?language=english

Yeah I saw that one.. and you are right I really want the one with the lip protection. I noticed that my playfield is showing a little wear around the drop hole there and would love to sort that out...

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

go to cliffy website and ask

Sorry (I really am a noob) I didn't realise that 'Cliffy' was the guy who made these... I thought Cliffy was slang for a cliff as in a drop of some kind..

I'm learning...

Could you link me the web address?

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

Sorry (I really am a noob) I didn't realise that 'Cliffy' was the guy who made these... I thought Cliffy was slang for a cliff as in a drop of some kind..
I'm learning...
Could you link me the web address?

Don't bother.. found it with a simple Google search...

#186 10 years ago

OK... I've emailed Cliffy.. hopefully they have some in stock and will ship to Australia...

Cheers,

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I have a fast color changer in my command decision, its pretty cool. I think you would want to go slow color changers for the pop bumpers.

BTW Is it difficult to change the Command Decision LEDs? Looking at the manual it appears that you have to unscrew a cap or something first....

#192 10 years ago

From the looks of it. Its just a twist off. Easy Install.

Awesome.. I should of ordered a Colorchanger in my order to CT the other day... would of saved me some shipping..

#194 10 years ago

I want to LED out my STTNG. Can someone recommend a site that sell a wide variety of LED's? I already tried Pinball life, Coin Taker and Noflix. None of them had a good colour changer or good GI lighting. Any other companies? Especially the colour changers, they have them at pinball life but you can't choose fast or slow. I didn't like the ones at Coin Taker because they were the flat ones and they only had fast. Any suggestions?

From what I can tell most people get theirs from Cointaker.com. I just ordered about $100 of LEDs from CT - mostly frosted blues and frosted cool whites. I got a couple of frosted oranges for the Klingon BOP and 6 green 906 flashers for the Borg ship (I loved the results people have gotten with these lights)

#197 10 years ago

OK I've decided to do a mixture of PBL and CT. Now just to save me time anyone have a break down of what colours to use where in the back box to make it look amazing?

I've seen some pretty awesome results from some people.. I would just search through some of the threads.. you will find heaps of pictures that people have posted.. That said, I'm sure someone will post what you are looking for on this thread at some point

#211 10 years ago

OK.... my STTNG pinball obsession continues into its 4th straight day (I'm guessing there are people here that have been 'suffering' for a lot longer!).

I've bought some LEDs from CT. I've bought replacement window inserts for my Borg ship. I've bought my Cliffy Neutral Zone protector from Cliffy. I'm thinking I will get those Hallmark Star Trek ships which still seem to be available on Ebay but what I really want to do is paint my shuttle and Borg ship..

Does anyone know of any good guides on model / spaceship painting out there? I was thinking of going into a few of the local hobby shops and talking to the resident modelling-person type but some instructional videos would be great to start with...I did find a few on youtube etc but was hoping someone would have a definitive guide on the best way to go about it.

Cheers!

#234 10 years ago

Lol, this makes it REALLY hard to post comments while I am at work "Pun not intended"

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.. You have to be really quick on the scroll wheel

#235 10 years ago

Hey I'm noticing a little problem developing with my STTNG at the start of each ball. The 'kicker' that spits the ball out so that it can be first launched into play has several attempts before successfully doing so.

What happens most of the time is that it just bounces back into the hopper to which it instantly attempts again to kick the ball out. After 3 or 4 attempts the ball drops down into the launcher and gets successfully put into play. Has anyone else had the same problem? It seems to be that it is popping the ball out with too much force which causes it to bounce back rather than just drop in...

Anyone else having this same problem? What did you do to fix it? I was thinking maybe putting something on the outer wall to absorb some of the ball energy but not sure what to use..

1 week later
#303 10 years ago

Nice... I ordered all three Hallmark ornaments a couple of a week ago.. May take a week or two to arrive in Australia. I'm pretty sure I am not going to bother wiring in the little ornament lights. You might want to try painting your Borg ship.. I got a really nice result last weekend painting mine.. I posted a thread a few days ago with YouTube vids if anyone is interested..

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-painting-the-borg-ship

#304 10 years ago

Oh... I'm not going to bother installing my Enterprise-D either.. I agree that it doesn't really fit anywhere on the playfield.

#308 10 years ago

Wooot! Congrats! Turned out great! Bet you had a lot of fun. Did you mumble Resistance is futile with each brush stroke?

"You will be assimilated.... BY MY PAINT!!!!"

#311 10 years ago

Where did you get the new ones from. I looked EVERYWHERE!

I didn't even know you could replace them!

#314 10 years ago

Oh, I thought you said you had new ones?

Did he mean the lights under the playfield?

#320 10 years ago

Why would you want to replace these?

#327 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I want to do a full tear down, new rubbers,

I just recently got new rubbers and I went with white. I think STTNG is a little on the dark side anyways...

#340 10 years ago

Just hung the Star Trek 25th Playfield LED Wall Art. As well the Scared Stiff I still need to make some wire shields painted the same color as the wall that will hide the wires.
» YouTube video

Niiiicee. I think my only problem with having some of those on the wall would be that I would want to play them...

#356 10 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I have had a shaker for about 6 months now in mine. I think it's well tied into the gameplay and I really enjoy it. But I've also talked with some people that don't like it. I also picked up all the Hallmark ornaments off ebay for $19.99 this week and they just came in the mail today. I can't wait to get them added but have a few other projects going on right now so it will have to wait.

The Klingon Bird is pretty easy to hook up.. Took me about an hour to get mine working.. I was going to do a quick YouTube on it but figured most people here would already know how to do it.. For those who don't know -

1. Carefully unscrew the post holding the Bird from playfield

2. Unscrew light sockets from underneath Bird - The post shares one of these screws so removing these screws also removes the toy completely from the game.

3. Using a very small drill bit, make some small semi-holes (don't go all the way through!) underneath new Bird in approximately the same positions as the original toy.

4. Connect the post and light sockets to the new toy.

5. Cut toy light wires to length. I found approx. 3cms works well.

6. Solder wires to one of the GI lights under toy. Make sure you solder correct wire to correct connection. I tested it first to make sure toy lights functioned correctly.

7. Screw post back to playfield.

Done!

#358 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Thanks. I just bought one of those and wondered how to install it.

No worries... ,

Maybe I should of YouTube'd it...anyways it was easy so just get in there and do it... Just becareful not to damage playfield, existing connectors etc when you are doing so.. Remember its a 20+ year old bit of kit you are working on! I also made sure I had a small hand towel under the Bop while I was soldering etc. as I didn't want to drop any solder onto the playfield...

#365 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Just painted some legs to match my custom pingulp ,from Pinball Life.

They are awesome looking!

#366 10 years ago
Quoted from Milano:

Thank you!!!!

No worries dude... I'm glad I could help.

I have decided that I am not going to bother replacing the Romulan Warbird as it sounds like a pain in the butt to get working.The Hallmark Warbird is a bit smaller than the original one as well which is a good argument not to use it. I might just paint the existing one as it looks a bit ordinary ootb. (I'll post some videos when I get into it)

I painted my Borg ship a few weeks ago and it turned out sweet so I am sure this will look great once done.

#371 10 years ago
Quoted from Milano:

Plan on doing same - painting my bird and attaching both theFutura ferengi ship and Borg cube.

I would have no idea where to put them!!!

Quoted from Milano:

Seems most don't like to hook up the hallmark enterprise D either - are you installing one?

I just can't decide where to put it.. I really dont want to clutter the playfield with too many toys... I would be interested to see how your's goes and if the result is good I will do the same..

Quoted from Milano:

Let me know how that warbird removal goes for painting purposes I'd love to follow someone else's example. Thx!

Will do... The removal looks like a piece of cake.. only one screw at the back holding it I believe. I was thinking for paint a metalic green with orange, yellow and black highlights but I think I will have to look at some screenshots from the show / movies to get it right...

#373 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Sweet! I'm IN then.....

So is it confirmed the next Stern will be 'Star Trek'?

If so, I wonder if it will be just based on the JJ. Abrams reboot or will it incorporate all Star Treks?

#388 10 years ago

I thought the JJ Star Trek films were awesome.. Most of what makes Star Trek good is the nostalga it invokes. The JJ films were main stream and entertaining.. He brought ST to the masses again and did it with quality films..

Go back and watch all the Trek films and be completely honest and objective about the experience.. The last two films were not even close to being the worst out of the bunch.. I would rate them up there with the best..

If I could choose what happens to Star Trek now I would say it is time for a new TV series that builds on what the two new movies has established. A TV series would allow for a more intellectual and even approach to plotlines which is probably the only thing missing from the JJ movies...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chinosts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only?tu=chinosts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.