PXL_20240127_043801582.MP (resized).jpg
Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StoneyCreek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9242 3 years ago

I'm thinking about purchasing a ST Pro here this weekend....I've played one before and really love it. But, I cant' find a matrix that lists the dif between a pro and premium. the Pinside ratings are quite a bit different for the two, but what is the real diff? I dont' want to start a row, just would like to understand what makes the Premimu so much better? (or is that the LE?) I don't know...

#9246 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Here ya go....[quoted image]

Thanks!

#9257 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The pro has no laser. Best part of the game.

What does the laser do?

#9268 3 years ago

Yipee! I'm in the club!
Picked up this beauty today. Had to set it up in the garage until I could get some muscle to heft it down the stairs, but what a fast playing flow monster it is! I love the custom art package and all the mods that the previous owner put in. The topper is strange and a bit creepy, some kind of Trekkie collector item. Best news is, that m'lady loves star trek and this thing put a big smile on her face after a tough week.

Now I gotta read the rules cause I have no idea how to score on this thing.

20210115_170932 (resized).jpg20210115_170932 (resized).jpg
#9270 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

That is indeed a cool Star Trek collector's item. It's a Talosian Maquette from the original TOS pilot "The Cage" (which never aired in the 60's and the footage of which was incorporated in the TOS episode "The Menagerie"). If that's an original, solid piece it could be worth some decent $$. Replicas are still a couple hundred dollars, originals close to 4 figures. Very nice!

It has a brass plaque that says TALOSIAN 457 of 7500. The head is made of some kind of high density foam. Not sure if it is original or a replica.

#9274 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

StoneyCreek If you wanna trade that Creepy Topper for a full set of my Stern Star Trek mods... let me know.

PM sent

#9276 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So what color bulbs (blue or green) are in the spotlights that you will be removing and replacing with white?

Not sure what you're drivin' at there Dave. why would I want to remove/replace spotlight color?

#9280 3 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Stock is a white bulb for spotlight. Looks like those are green in there now. Always up to personal preference, myself I like as bright and white as possible to help light the playfield

interesting. I bought this machine heavily modded...will keep in mind the white spots, a brighter playfield is usually better.

1 week later
#9373 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah it should definitely be able to make the pops. In fact if you hold down the left flipper button when you launch, it should easily come all the way around for your super skill shot. Besides making sure the forks are centered, also make sure the mech mounting screws didn't loosen up, and check the coil sleeve and coil stop.

Is the super-skill shot you mentioned supposed to work on ST Pro? I can't seem to get it to work. perhaps there is a SW adjustment ...I'll have to check.

#9375 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Absolutely. There are no code changes between the models. Should lower the gate and come around to the flippers to give you a shot at the lit shot.
Ok, Immediately I'm realizing I'm wrong. Kickback code is handled differently. But thats it I think.

Thanks for that convirmation. I just got this game used a week or so ago...should have done a coil test. turns out the #51 coil isn't firing.
Time to take her to sick bay.

1 week later
#9395 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Warped. I am getting it replaced by stern.

How is it that Stern agreed to replacing a playfield in a machine so old, or did you recently find a NIB ST? Their warranty is 1 year, right?

#9408 3 years ago

I had a wierd thing happen last night. I ususally play a 'good game' between 100 and 200K, and I was on track with one last night with my score about 150K after the first ball with an EB in reserve. I had banked about warp 9.3 and during a multiball, all of a sudden I started scoring warps left and right. went to 9.9, then back to 1 and back up to 9.1 ....without hitting the warp ramp but a few times. I ended up getting an extra ball, then another. my total score ended up being north of 800k!
question is, is there any way to score a warp without hitting the warp ramp...maybe I was doing that without knowing. Or the opto is bad?
Anyone had this happen?

It was exhilirating and the game took nearly 30 minutes to finish due to the 4 EBs I recieved..2 due to warp ramps and 2 for other awards.

I played again today a couple of games, and everything seemed normal.

#9410 3 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

your optos are acting up. Happened to alot of us. First thing to do is re-seat everything in your backbox. bang on your playfiled with the glass off and in switch test to see if anything goes off as well.

cool, thanks for the advice. shame the GC score is now a sham!

#9418 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

You gotta cancel out the GC score!
This is common (happened to me a ton!) and lots of answers in this thread if you search it. But as mentioned reseat everything in backbox.
Also. Twist the wire under the magnet for the optos if it is not already twisted. And reseat the under playfield optos as well.
Feel free to dm me if you have continued issues or any questions.

Thanks, this is great advice and I'll follow it. I just had a 'center lane lockup' tech error crop up too, could be related. Sounds like the Opto needs some attention. I'll do some testing this weekend. cheers.

#9447 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Thanks, this is great advice and I'll follow it. I just had a 'center lane lockup' tech error crop up too, could be related. Sounds like the Opto needs some attention. I'll do some testing this weekend. cheers.

Quoted from Ecw0930:

You gotta cancel out the GC score!
This is common (happened to me a ton!) and lots of answers in this thread if you search it. But as mentioned reseat everything in backbox.
Also. Twist the wire under the magnet for the optos if it is not already twisted. And reseat the under playfield optos as well.
Feel free to dm me if you have continued issues or any questions.

Well, I finally got time to try and fix the problem with the center lane lockup and the frenetic warp awards......I didn't really DO anything, just reseated and wiggled some of the connecters in the back box, and it seems like the game is working fine again. wierd. What I really do need to do is figure out how to fix the left orbit switch to register so I can get the 'hold down the flipper skill shot' option back. there's two wires coming off of that assembly....which is terribly hard to get to btw, and they lead back under the playfield....I guess I should trace them to whatever they connect to and see if the connection is good. Excellent job for valentines evening, my sweety love her some Star Trek!

1 month later
#9538 3 years ago

Does it do any good to fire the photon torpedoes when not in a Vengance multiball mode? It doesn't appear that there are any points awarded for firing a torpedo, or any other reason to fire them based on a search of this channel, but maybe I'm missing something?

#9540 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Yes, there is some benefit. I do believe that firing torpedoes lessens
the number of shots necessary to battle the Vengeance.
We often use them this way, to prepare for battle,
rather than wait until you are engaged.

So, is the strategy to wait until all 8 are armed and unload 'em all, or fire whenever they are awarded?

#9546 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I tend to save my photons and then make game time decisions. All the real points in ST are for making it deep into the game. V1 itself isn't all that valuable. As such, I'm primarily trying to stack V1 with a mb friendly mode, usually PD1 or Nero1. Most modes are good to stack, but I try to avoid SJ1 because if you accidentally start the Galactic mode early, you lose out on points/medals.
So if you save your photons, you can start V1 when you want. Or if you accidentally start V1, you'll have them to destroy the Vengeance.
As Falcon just pointed out, photons are useless during V2 and V3. So after V1, you should definitely be saving them to control when you start either V2 or V3.

Thanks for the analysis. I didn't see much treatment of the torpedoes in the rules threads, so this is quite helpful.

3 weeks later
#9602 3 years ago

I'm troubleshooting opto craziness again. Wires twisted, repeating back box connectors, insuring wires are routed away from magnet as far as possible. Still keeps happening after .few.games. anything else I could do?

Also heard something fall during game and I found this broken piece. I can't see.where.it may have been or what it's for. Suggestions?

20210413_174756 (resized).jpg20210413_174756 (resized).jpg20210413_174807 (resized).jpg20210413_174807 (resized).jpg
#9604 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Flipper end of stroke arm?

just right. I was confused that the flippers still worked well after the piece broke off. Evidently there is no leaf switch on the upper flipper for the EOS arm to engage. I guess I replace it anyway as the screw will probably start to work itself out of the remaining piece.
thanks.

20210413_205437 (resized).jpg20210413_205437 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9616 3 years ago

I just received my shipment from Marco of a couple mini-coils. I intend to try and install one of them this weekend on my upper electric gate assy so I can finally experience the skill shots properly.
Has anyone done that replacement, and if so any advice before I dive in?

#9618 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

See my post 8737 in this thread and a subsequent 8782.
It's a pretty easy fix, just getting to it is complicated, once you get the gate out the mini coils are easy enough to replace. The biggest disappointment is that I was getting great high scores prior to the fix...

Thanks, I'll check those posts. curious though, why would enabling electric gate reduce your scores? Is it because the ball doesnt stay in the lanes/pops as much?

#9626 3 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Were you able to resolve the opto issue?

On my machine, all the Opto leads were twisted nicely already. It appears that the connectors are hot-glued! is that normal?

After seating all the connectors in the back box, and generally feeling like I didn't do anything of substance, the game works fine now. I expect this behavior to recur until I really figure out what is causing it. thanks for following up.

I'll have her open this weekend to try my luck at changing out the mini coil in the Left gate and replacing a broken (and unnecessary) actuator arm on the upper flipper assy.

hotglue (resized).jpghotglue (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#9688 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Slider man layout is almost identical. Never played it.
For flow.... Led Zeppelin is awesome. Even the pro is fun to shoot. JP is not fun imho. Shots are hard. Not good flow at all.

Agree on the JP assessment. It's challenging in a very different way than ST.
Another good flow game, also simple layout but very fun is Beatles. I know there's haters out there, mainly because of the pricing at launch, but the ball times are fairly short, and it flows like crazy.

4 months later
#9855 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

If you PM me with your email address, I have 1.62 with OST w. TOS theme endgame, if that would help? I'll see if I can use we transfer or the like...

I'm curious what OST and TOS stand for. Is this some kind of mod to add music from the actual movie, or different callouts?

#9857 2 years ago

Very cool. thanks for the explanation and the link.

LLaP!

Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

OST - original soundtrack
TOS - The Original Series.
This version of the 1.62 firmware was created by others ( nosro I think) who replaced the bulk of the Stern stock music with Michael Giacchino's scores, except for the end game (Chris Pine voiceover) which keeps the Original Series theme which was Stern stock.
There are other versions of 1.62 that have Giacchino's theme even at the end as well.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-162/page/6#post-5974969
Thanks to jesperpark for recalling these links...

2 months later
#9996 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

First, this was a great description of the major wizard mode objectives.

But Stern’s version of Star Trek has a LOT of ways to play it. And an amazing part of Kobiyashi Maru is that the scores depend on your scores from playing the first level modes. So if your trying to get there as safely as possible, your scores end up a lot lower.
You can also go through modes one at a time. For instance, Nero. If you get through all 3 Nero modes, it turns on the doubler at the spinner for the rest of the game as a reward. Carry that into the first level Galactic Mode of Destroy The Drill (by hitting the away team shot after the first made shot) for awesome points at the spinner.
Medals are a blast. At first when you are playing, they just kind of happen. But they are really fun to play for. 3 shots gets you to the next level. So 3 shots in a mode will award bronze. 6 total lit shots in a mode gets you silver. And 9 total in a mode gets you gold. And Galactic modes boost you up by one medal, so if you are at silver and you start a galactic mode, you are now gold when it ends. The bonuses for gold medals at KM are pretty nice. And you get to pose on your opponents if you are competing.
I constantly try to save multiballs for when I need them. And NEVER waste photon torpedoes, ever. You want to have as many as you can when you start Vengeance multiball. First shot is at the Vengence ball on the magnet to start the 3 ball multiball. Then with the ball saver running, shoot everything at the vengence or the two ramps that should be lit white (they count as Vengence shots). Then before the end of the ball saver, launch every photon torpedo you have with the button. If you had a lot of torpedos, at that point you should be pretty close. So every shot is at the Vengence to destroy it. Hopefully you are within a few shots at that point, and you destroy it and start victory laps.
The only time I don’t do that is if I’m close to Kobiyashi. If that’s the case I’ll try to trap up and make mode shots.
I’m always a fan of games I can approach different ways and have fun with all of them.

Great writeup! I've never tried the strategy you suggest for getting the spinner to register more points....will def try that tonite. thanks

2 weeks later
#10019 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

A couple questions for ST Pro veterans out there. I've only had the game for a couple months.
1) When in a mode, and after hitting a lit shot, AWAY TEAM is lit. What is the benefit of making the AWAY TEAM shot?

http://tiltforums.com/t/star-trek-wiki/456

1 month later
#10114 2 years ago

I'm having what appears to be torpedoes firing by themselves.
Sometimes when I turn the game on and press start, a sound very much like a torpedo firing happens and the mode is selected for me. Also occasionally when in the pops I'll get a torpedo firing credit...which sometimes starts Vengeance mode.

#10121 2 years ago

StoneyCreek that should take care of your issues as well. Check out the WPT service bulletin for a great diagram. Easy fix.
ectobar and grantopia thanks again!

found it! thanks for the tip!
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb165.pdf

8 months later
#10403 1 year ago
Quoted from FugTM:

Won't do any good, he was given a cease and desist by Stern I was told.
If you've got an Aurich setup now, you have something special.

Really? was the Cease and desist for the spekaer panel mod or the awesome translite art? (or both?)

3 months later
#10481 1 year ago

Has anyone tried the Precision Pinball flippers on a ST? My upper flipper can rarely make the warp ramp shot due to either bouncing out of the pops or possibly under-powered. I'd like to see if anyone has installed them and do they make a difference in more easily hitting the warp ramp? Also what color did you get that worked well with the ST color pallette? thx!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StoneyCreek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only?tu=StoneyCreek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.