PXL_20240127_043801582.MP (resized).jpg
Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scoot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6736 5 years ago

I am considering purchasing a new premium ST but am very poor and am looking for the best deal. Is now the best time to buy or wait until stern rereleases them and try to snatch up old stock? Will it matter do you think?

#6742 5 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

If you're very poor, I would humbly suggest that a pinball machine costing thousands of dollars isn't in your best interest.

What I really mean is I don't have the money to buy 10 of these like I see is some of your game rooms. I could only dream of having some the pins I see in these forums, but I will get one of these. Just trying to predict when the best time would be. But yes, I could be spending money on more important things. Does this make me irresponsible?

#6743 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Not sure if there are any old stock ST available? I have seen some pros listed for exorbitant prices, but no premiums. And if you're poor, you should definitely be considering a used pro instead. I just bought one and it's awesome. I just ordered a thousand dollars in mods for it and still saved a shit ton of money as opposed to buying a new premium and then adding mods to it like a color DMD and art blades etc..! I was even fortunate enough to get one with the Aurich translite and decal mods!

I like the way your thinking about adding the things you want to it, but isn't there some physical play differences between the pro and Premium? It appears there is so much more for the money with the premium. Is it worth the extra cost?

#6746 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

They certainly will be for me when I purchase an LE/Prem.

I think I would agree. I know it is a considerable difference in cost, but the added goodies seem to be worth it. But also for the difference in cost i could mod and upgrade the heck out of it... tough decision.

1 year later
#8045 4 years ago

I am on the verge of purchasing my first nib stern pin. I have always wanted to own a Star Trek premium since the first time I saw it. I would assume that there aren't many left. Am I making the right decision to purchase one, or is there a better pin nib since then? It will probably be the only nib purchase I will ever make.

4 months later
#8272 3 years ago

I have finally picked up a pin I have been wanting for years. Thank you John! The only thing I want to add that's not done already is Zitts pop bumper mod. I just can't be happier!

20200511_145938 (resized).jpg20200511_145938 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8312 3 years ago

Zitt's mods are so awesome. Even the little vengeance ship nacelles mod is impressive. Thank you.

20200524_121804 (resized).jpg20200524_121804 (resized).jpg
#8321 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

I have plastics which leftover after restoration. If somebody need something let me know. Not all on this picture
[quoted image]

I think your restoration went horribly wrong, I don't think Bluto was ever in the Star Trek movie...

1 month later
#8445 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Because the software feels too random and generic, and slightly boring and bland.
But before I hit send on this post, let me explain why I say that. I love Star Trek (I have a Pro). I love the modes, I love the medals, I love the Away Team, I love the rules of the game. But that is all because I know them, and they make sense to me. Look at that from the perspective of a new player. All the modes light random shots. If you don't shoot them, it might light other shots for you. Away Team mode lights after the first shot, and if you hit it, just randomly changes the mode to something else that is important. The double lit shots (strobe multiple colors) don't explain themselves. And completely random, are medals, which seem to just award stuff at different times with no sense, and get completely wonky when Away Team modes are added... You are awarded a Bronze medal... you are awarded a Gold medal? Really understanding the game to exploit all of this is a pretty big curve. And without it, the game just feels random and bland. You just don't know what that next shot really means until you know the game well.
And after saying that, even I didn't have a real grasp of the medal awarding until recently. They were explained to me by a friend. And those have a huge impact on your score. The amazing parts of Star Trek are just a bit more hidden than other games. It is appreciated by people that have taken the time to learn the game. But if I didn't own one, I don't think I would have taken the time to appreciate it.

I still don't understand the rules on most of the level three missions.

#8499 3 years ago

First, I love mods. I think its great to see the creativity people have and personal touches to make a pin their own, as long as it doesn't effect game play. I have been guilty in the past to adding too many mods that caused the game play to suffer. Ever been to a show or friends house and played a heavily modded pin that plays poorly? Thats when it goes too far.

#8504 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

No, what kind of mods would do this?

I don't want to say specific mods or mod builders because I know how hard they work and I'm not in any way bashing their products. But there are a lot of mods that make the ball handle differently than normal. Or unable to see the ball as well. Stuff like that. Sometimes mods are even essential, but still alter game play in a negative way. And when you add 2, 3, or more mods like that on one playfield, you can produce a poorly shooting or feeling game. And I have absolutely done this myself.

#8541 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It's amazing how many people do not realize they can do this and it works great. I cringe every time I play one that hasn't done this....especially in competition. Glad it worked for you!

I just adjusted mine and all fixed! Super!

1 week later
#8608 3 years ago

I recently noticed one of my inserts will not produce the color red. I contacted stern on their website but had no response. Is this something I can fix myself? Purchased second hand.

20200724_113423 (resized).jpg20200724_113423 (resized).jpg
#8622 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Any hints on adjustments to make it work? Ball gets stuck with and without it.
Mine has a small rubber under the screw. Could someone post what theirs looks like?
Thanks

Just back the screw out enough so the ball doesn't rest there. I had to adjust mine quite a bit. I don't recall a rubber under the screw head though.

3 weeks later
#8690 3 years ago
Quoted from zephee:

Joined the club with a NIB Premium VE this week. Great game. I have a question though. The ST I played in the past had lasers that appeared on the play field. I think it was at the start of Klingon multiball but mine does not. Is that a mod? Or was that only on the 2013 model?
thanks

You should have lasers. Look at the front apron to the left of the drain. It should have a hole and a laser warning label.

15986689403302392583884898640891 (resized).jpg15986689403302392583884898640891 (resized).jpg
#8712 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

One of our spotlights keeps going on and off. Mostly off.
Could it just be a loose socket?
Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

The spotlight is either loose or the metal wires on the led are not connecting to the socket tabs. It helps to push the wires on the led outward a bit before installing them into the socket.

Comet_Pinball_8SMD_Flasher_Red_Wedge (resized).jpgComet_Pinball_8SMD_Flasher_Red_Wedge (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#8774 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

I wanted to post a recent experience I had with the optos on my new to me Star Trek LE. I will try and make this short as possible, but I wanted to post this in case someone else runs into the same issue.
Since I got the game some weeks back I have had an issue where the game would start to award all sorts of random things including warp ramp hits. After reading through this thread I started troubleshooting the optos. I checked every single opto in test mode and I even removed some of the optos to reflow solder.
When I put the game into test mode I could see some optos just going crazy and the only way to stop it was to unplug a single opto from its board and the weird thing is that it did not seem to matter which opto I unplugged. As long as one was unplugged the random hits would stop?? It was hard to tell which opto was going off as it was happening so fast and appeared to be many differnt opto #'s while in test mode.
I actually thought I had this issue resolved on a few separate occasions after removing the opto boards, as well as the optos themselves, but in each case the issue reappeared after playing for a while.
The Fix:
So it turns out my issue was the led light strip on the warp ramp was interfering with the optos for the ramp. How in the world this effected so many other optos is beyond me.
I fixed the issue by lowering the 2 optos for the warp ramp down a little by using tiny washers, which in turn kept the optos away from the led strip that is attached to the warp ramp. Once I did this the problem never resurfaced so I assumed that the led strip must have been covering part of the opto beam.
The thing I still find strange is the amount of different optos that would go crazy in test mode, as well as the fact that when I rolled a ball past the optos on the warp ramp while in test mode it acted normal and did not cause all the optos to start going crazy.
Of all the pinball issues I have chased down in the past this one has to be one of the worst. I ended up taking a lot of the game apart including ramps and the Vengance ship while trying to locate the issue. The good news is that I was able to wax all the areas in the back of the playfield that are not normally accessible

My Premium will do this on occasion, especially awarding me warp ramp shots. One time it went from warp 1 to 9 in a matter of seconds. Never could figure out why it would do this. I will have to look at the optos. Thanks!

#8781 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Correct.

Let's talk strategy for a moment, because I use this a bit differently. I try to fill up the photon torpedos, but I save them for a bit. I start Vengence MB, release the ball (for 3 ball MB), and then the ramps on either side will flash white. Nail those (easier shot) and they count as Vengence shots. This doesn't last that long, but they are easy and free shots during the ball saver. Don't be afraid to dump balls if they are in the way during the ball saver. Near the end of the ballsaver, slam all of the photon torpedos you have. If done right, you will be very close to destroying the Vengence. Hit those shots and claim your points. Then take your victory laps.
Once I started doing it this way, I was destroying it much more often. It ends up feeling very frenetic and is really only a couple of good shots away. Then the victory laps are just fun.

This is usually my strategy. I collect all the torpedoes and as the ball drains, I remember I had some and I slam the button a bunch of times. Then I walk away pissed because I forgot to use them.

2 weeks later
#8838 3 years ago

Holding the left button in before hitting start will set up competition mode? What is competition mode, like no extra balls and stuff?

#8862 3 years ago
Quoted from sebgrinke:

Every now and then on my Stern Star Trek Premium the ball get stuck on top of the Vengeance drop target while it's down. I've seen posts about the drop target not dropping - this is different, it has dropped but the ball is on top of it and won't roll down because I guess the target is not 100% flush with the playfield.
Is there a simple fix for this?

It is a simple fix. Screw these screws in until the drop target is flush.

20201014_170614 (resized).jpg20201014_170614 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8888 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing a small run of my Star Trek translite/decal packages if anyone is looking to ditch the actors and pimp their game up some. I think most people who were interested have already contacted me, but just dropping a quick note in here to PM me if you weren't on my list and you want in. Closing the list soon, so kinda last minute call.

Ever consider STTNG?

1 month later
#9054 3 years ago
Quoted from FugTM:

Hey again, quick question, I have your package coming but I totally forgot the speaker grill was coming too. My question is this. I have the vault edition. It has a nifty little metal tag on the speaker panel showing it's a vault edition. Have you seen anyone remove the tag and reapply it to your speaker panel?
[quoted image]

That Final Voyage emblem i would assume is attached by sticky tape. I would use a razor blade and carefully slide it underneath to cut the sticky tape to get it off.

2 weeks later
#9154 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, this is a big no in my book. I have shakers in quite a few of my games, including Star Trek. But the reason I’m saying no is to the Cointaker Red Tremor. I love Cointaker. I’ve bought games and And a lot of LEDs from them. But I put the Red Tremor into my Iron Man and hated it. It was WAY too strong. It wasn’t engaging, it was distracting as hell. It was just violent. Detuning it wasn’t a great option because the flat spots on the shafts are intended to be at opposite spots. Then trying to move the weights anyway, the metal was soft and just stripped. Since then I just pay the extra and get the Stern one. It’s not a ton of money, and is just the right amount to add to the game. Just my experience and opinion.

When I got my Stern ST, there was a Cointaker Red Tremor already installed on it. When playing, the pin would practically dance across the floor since it was so strong. The shaking was also very loud and I felt it very distracting when it should be imersive. I am going to install a motor speed control switch to see if works, otherwise I will have to replace it too.

Screenshot_20201225-054551_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201225-054551_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
1 month later
#9433 3 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Does anyone else here have the lighted magnetic hinge covers from Lighted Pinball Mods? I just got mine on the mail and the font is all stretched out. If they're all like that, I'll live with it, but if mine was just a mistake and others' are in the normal aspect ratio, I might inquire about a replacement...
This is what the website has:
[quoted image]
This is how mine look, and no, the image has not been stretched.
[quoted image]

If I had purchased those, they would be going back. That looks nothing like the picture advertised.

2 months later
#9650 2 years ago
Quoted from Maleko:

How did it work out? If positive, can you post info, or link to the motor speed control switch?

It was super easy to install and works flawlessly. I now have the perfect amount of shake.

20210509_072850 (resized).jpg20210509_072850 (resized).jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYSBQK7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_W3STZPS1M85VQC10K5SP

1 month later
#9732 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Here comes the rush of Star Trek LEs for 9k. Let’s see if one sells. It’s a great pin and I have one but I’m not selling!

I wouldn't sell mine for 9k. Just sayin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 64.99
$ 24.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scoot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only?tu=Scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.