Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG
DSCN3234 (resized).JPG
DSCN3233 (resized).JPG

There are 10,770 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 216.
#10101 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My torpedo lights are on and I can't fire. The button works and then it doesn't. Should not be a mechanical issue. I usually fire right away then later when there are more torpedos, they will not fire. A few minutes later they do fire.

Try removing the lockdown bar and playing while activating the leaf switch with your finger to rule out the button. Also activate the leaf switch a few dozen times in switch test mode to ensure it functions consistently. Failing that, maybe a full reload of the game code as a next step.

#10102 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My torpedo lights are on and I can't fire. The button works and then it doesn't. Should not be a mechanical issue. I usually fire right away then later when there are more torpedos, they will not fire. A few minutes later they do fire.

clean the contacts on the switch?

#10103 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Sounds to me like a connection/wire/leaf switch/soldering issue. Double check. If you can't figure out, it will get worse and therefore easier to find the issue.

#10104 2 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I took the lockdown bar off and bent the leaves. Played a few games and it seems to be working properly now.

#10105 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Thanks for all the tips. I took the lockdown bar off and bent the leaves. Played a few games and it seems to be working properly now.

Woohoo, congrats...always a good feeling to fix intermittent pinball issues. Torpedoes away!

#10106 2 years ago

Congrats on the fix.

Quoted from Zitt:

My understanding as well.
You can use torpedos before the first vengeance mode; thru the first mode; and up to the second... but you cannot use it during the second vengeance mode.
I believe during the second mode; the torpedo lights are off.

I need to double check this tonight. I remember the lights being on during the 2nd more and not being able to fire them.

#10107 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Congrats on the fix.

I need to double check this tonight. I remember the lights being on during the 2nd more and not being able to fire them.

I'm not sure of the lights status, but you definitely can't use torpedos to complete the 2-3 Vengeance battles

#10108 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Mine started acting up last night and I suspect the cause is similar. As soon as I hit start it automatically selects a mode (whatever is lit in attract mode I guess), the Vengeance explosion goes off and it acts like it’s in the middle of a game. Weird. Didn’t have time to look into it but I’ll definitely be checking out the fire button and probably the start switch and Vengeance optos as well.

#10109 2 years ago
Quoted from mIkea:

Mine started acting up last night and I suspect the cause is similar. As soon as I hit start it automatically selects a mode (whatever is lit in attract mode I guess), the Vengeance explosion goes off and it acts like it’s in the middle of a game. Weird. Didn’t have time to look into it but I’ll definitely be checking out the fire button and probably the start switch and Vengeance optos as well.

This sounds like the drop target is acting up. Common issue.

#10110 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

This sounds like the drop target is acting up. Common issue.

I’ll start there then- thanks!

#10111 2 years ago
Quoted from mIkea:

I’ll start there then- thanks!

The ledge the drop sits on gets worn away. When the target drops, it selects the mode. People have fixed this with a variety of homemade shims. Definitely some posts in here about it. Alternatively, it might just be the connector. That one comes loose occasionally on my pin and similar results happen. Reseating it is the easiest first thing to try.

#10112 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

The ledge the drop sits on gets worn away. When the target drops, it selects the mode. People have fixed this with a variety of homemade shims. Definitely some posts in here about it. Alternatively, it might just be the connector. That one comes loose occasionally on my pin and similar results happen. Reseating it is the easiest first thing to try.

Yep! Common Stern drop target issue especially on ST it seems. I fixed mine with 2 washers, took about 5 minutes. I believe there is a service bulletin for WPT that has the official recommendation from Stern which is what I used and no issues since.

#10113 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Quoted from grantopia:

Yep! Common Stern drop target issue especially on ST it seems. I fixed mine with 2 washers, took about 5 minutes. I believe there is a service bulletin for WPT that has the official recommendation from Stern which is what I used and no issues since.

Awesome advice - thanks so much. Can’t wait to get home and check it out!

#10114 2 years ago

I'm having what appears to be torpedoes firing by themselves.
Sometimes when I turn the game on and press start, a sound very much like a torpedo firing happens and the mode is selected for me. Also occasionally when in the pops I'll get a torpedo firing credit...which sometimes starts Vengeance mode.

#10115 2 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Sometimes when I turn the game on and press start, a sound very much like a torpedo firing happens and the mode is selected for me.

Sounds exactly like my issue

#10116 2 years ago

Is there an attract mode with sound on the Stern ST? I can't find it.

#10117 2 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

Is there an attract mode with sound on the Stern ST? I can't find it.

Do any newer Sterns?
They'll make some sounds if you hit the flipper buttons, and the newer ones show a variety of things on the screen, but I don't think they have attract sounds anymore.

#10118 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Do any newer Sterns?
They'll make some sounds if you hit the flipper buttons, and the newer ones show a variety of things on the screen, but I don't think they have attract sounds anymore.

Some do. SW and JP do for sure.
SW: You can have sounds(and movement) from the topper and also the audio that goes with the movie clips that play in attract mode.
JP: It can play the main theme in piano while the credits are showing.

#10119 2 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Sometimes when I turn the game on and press start, a sound very much like a torpedo firing happens and the mode is selected for me. Also occasionally when in the pops I'll get a torpedo firing credit...which sometimes starts Vengeance mode.

Finally fixed mine- took all of 20 minutes. Two washers behind the drop target lip and back up and running.
StoneyCreek that should take care of your issues as well. Check out the WPT service bulletin for a great diagram. Easy fix.
ectobar and grantopia thanks again!

#10120 2 years ago
Quoted from mIkea:

Finally fixed mine- took all of 20 minutes. Two washers behind the drop target lip and back up and running.
StoneyCreek that should take care of your issues as well. Check out the WPT service bulletin for a great diagram. Easy fix.

Rock on!

#10121 2 years ago

found it! thanks for the tip!
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb165.pdf

#10122 2 years ago

You might want to get a couple of extra ledges from Stern, I had one break in the middle. I keep a couple on hand plus a couple of drop targets.

#10123 2 years ago
Quoted from Moeman65:

You might want to get a couple of extra ledges from Stern, I had one break in the middle. I keep a couple on hand plus a couple of drop targets.

I made a ledge out of an old credit card. Its been good for 5+ yrs.

#10124 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I made a ledge out of an old credit card. Its been good for 5+ yrs.

I have heard of that too. You would think Stern would design something better since it is hit and hit hard quite often.

#10125 2 years ago

Lol. Stern designs long lasting parts is like JJp shipping playfields with good clear coat.

#10126 2 years ago

we will do a re-run of the speaker panels

I have the offer now

1 panel + shipping is $ 190,-
2 panel + shipping $ 325,-

please let me know via PM today

tom

cd620fe8cdfcf1cfc07b49b998c9010e26513082 (resized).jpgcd620fe8cdfcf1cfc07b49b998c9010e26513082 (resized).jpg
#10127 2 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

we will do a re-run of the speaker panels
I have the offer now
1 panel + shipping is $ 190,-
2 panel + shipping $ 325,-
please let me know via PM today
tom
[quoted image]

Does that price include the EL Paper to light up the lettering as shown in the pic?

Thanks!

#10128 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Does that price include the EL Paper to light up the lettering as shown in the pic?

It does not, but man it is a sweet mod and well worth it imo

#10129 2 years ago

Does anyone remember what the cost of the EL paper is and how to install it? I remember reading about it, but my search skills are coming up empty.

kapsreiter I'm interested, but I'll get back to you later today. So $190USD total shipped to Canada?

#10130 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Does anyone remember what the cost of the EL paper is and how to install it?

I found the installation video that PinballSuperNova created, he had some fantastic videos for mod installation.

#10131 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I found the installation video that PinballSuperNova created, he had some fantastic videos for mod installation.

Looks like they make EL Paper that is larger, but not sure if they make it large enough to avoid having to use two separate pieces like he does in that video. The larger paper (A3 size) costs close to $100. I also don't know where to find (and how much they cost) the various connectors and splitters he uses in his install video. Also, if I were to buy EL Paper, would I want the version with our without the 12v inverter?

kapsreiter - Any idea of the height and width dimensions for the Star Trek lettering (including the insignias on each side) that would need to be lit up? Trying to determine what I'd need to order and how much I'd be spending in total for this.

Thanks!

#10132 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I also don't know where to find (and how much they cost) the various connectors and splitters he uses in his install video. Also, if I were to buy EL Paper, would I want the version with our without the 12v inverter?

When I did this two years ago, I found all of the connectors & splitters on Amazon. I hooked the paper up to 12 Volts in the front of the game. I used 2 sheets of A5 paper which I also purchased from Amazon. Amazon currently does not have this paper. The following is an EBay link: ebay.com link: itm

#10133 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Looks like they make EL Paper that is larger, but not sure if they make it large enough to avoid having to use two separate pieces like he does in that video. The larger paper (A3 size) costs close to $100. I also don't know where to find (and how much they cost) the various connectors and splitters he uses in his install video. Also, if I were to buy EL Paper, would I want the version with our without the 12v inverter?
kapsreiter - Any idea of the height and width dimensions for the Star Trek lettering (including the insignias on each side) that would need to be lit up? Trying to determine what I'd need to order and how much I'd be spending in total for this.
Thanks!

I ordered a strip and it covered in one shot. I think it was 2” by 12” or so. And yes you need the inverter - they are powered by AC.

#10134 2 years ago
Quoted from mIkea:

I ordered a strip and it covered in one shot. I think it was 2” by 12” or so. And yes you need the inverter - they are powered by AC.

Appreciate it. I found the 12x2 EL paper. I wasn't sure if that would do it and it comes with the inverter box

#10135 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Thanks!

NO

i used cheap el paper from ebay about 10-20$

#10136 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

order deadline is sunday

#10137 2 years ago

Data East Star Trek 25
Is there an easy way to remove the subway?

1 week later
#10138 2 years ago

Had some friends over today and someone tapped a ball on the lower right flipper on my Stern ST premium. Held it for waaaay too long while talking to someone. Now the upper right flipper is dead. Coil was not hot and did not feel swollen (still has smooth action); switch on lower flipper looks fine. Nothing obvious visually in the head. Any ideas on where/what to check?

#10139 2 years ago

Never mind - didn’t see the dedicated 3a fuse nearby. It is toasted. Luckily I just stocked up on them. Had to run out to take my kid to baseball practice, but I’m guessing I’ll be back up and running when I get home and swap in a fresh fuse.

#10140 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Never mind - didn’t see the dedicated 3a fuse nearby. It is toasted. Luckily I just stocked up on them. Had to run out to take my kid to baseball practice, but I’m guessing I’ll be back up and running when I get home and swap in a fresh fuse.

Turns out I’m not out of the woods yet. Replacing the fuse restored power to the upper flipper but it’s locked on. It energized and locked on immediately upon power up. Opening the coin door and killing the high voltage coils cuts the power but closing the door fires the flipper immediately, even in attract mode.

Thoughts on what might have fried that’s allowing constant current to the upper flipper?

#10141 2 years ago

Thoughts on what might have fried that’s allowing constant current to the upper flipper?

You burnt out the driving FET for that flipper.
Consult the manual and order a replacement or three.

#10142 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You burnt out the driving FET for that flipper.
Consult the manual and order a replacement or three.

Yep. Same thing happened to me on a Spider-Man. Such a dumb component. Get the upgraded/recommended ones, not the direct Stern replacement.

#10143 2 years ago

Had to break the seal on my goodie bag to get to the manual. That’s how solid this game has been over what, 8 or 9 years?!?

Looks like Q12 drives the upper flipper. It definitely ohms out way differently than its neighbors. I have removed it from the board, but I don’t have any p40nf10l transistors on hand. I’ve only got some tip102 units.

Sounds like there’s a better component to use vs the original p40nf10l transistor. Does anyone here know what the better unit is?

#10145 2 years ago

Had to break the seal on my goodie bag to get to the manual. That’s how solid this game has been over what, 8 or 9 years?!?
Looks like Q12 drives the upper flipper. It definitely ohms out way differently than its neighbors. I have removed it from the board, but I don’t have any p40nf10l transistors on hand. I’ve only got some tip102 units.
Sounds like there’s a better component to use vs the original p40nf10l transistor. Does anyone here know what the better unit is?

Why didn't you download it from Stern?

#10146 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Why didn't you download it from Stern?

I did but it was a PITA to try to read that way. I didn’t mind opening the bag. Mostly I was astonished to realize that I had never needed the manual.

#10147 2 years ago

Thanks. If an IRl540 is good by Rob Anthony, it’s good by me. Plus, marco has them in stock, so I can order it with some other random stuff I need for another project.

1 week later
#10148 2 years ago

Quick question, the bulb in the spotlight on my right sling keeps falling out mid-play. I've tried adjusting the wiring on the physical bulb and bending the metal tabs in the socket closer together so it sits in there tighter. Does this happen to anyone else? How did you fix it? I'm at the point where I am going to bust out the hot glue gun.

#10149 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Quick question, the bulb in the spotlight on my right sling keeps falling out mid-play. I've tried adjusting the wiring on the physical bulb and bending the metal tabs in the socket closer together so it sits in there tighter. Does this happen to anyone else? How did you fix it? I'm at the point where I am going to bust out the hot glue gun.

I wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the base after bending the wires out. Then put the wires back. Has worked in a few of my pins.

#10150 2 years ago

The electrical tape trick worked for me too. They never come out now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 45.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,770 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/203?hl=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.