Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG
DSCN3234 (resized).JPG
There are 10,797 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 216.
#8951 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Ok guys ... My optos are going nuts again.
The coils won't test.
But the optos are just flipping out. All of them. Thought I had it fixed but tonight they went bonkers again. It won't even start now and when I test the switches all the optos will go nuts.
But the main one is the center target. It won't even respond. The others ones click on and off with the slightest vibration. The center one isn't registering again.
I can't have a game that is like this. And I just got it a couple weeks ago.
What is a good, solid, going to last, solution?

Hi @ecw0930! Viperbsd and I had similar problems on the Pro with optos flipping out. While i can't guarantee that you have the same problem, what we both independently found was that our Warp ramps each had one of the optos just BARELY half-way obstructed by different things (for me, it was a textured translucent plastic backing that was blocking about 45% of the opto sensor, and for them it was some wiring from an LED chaser mod). That PARTIAL blockage was enough to cause intermittent bursting of not only THOSE optos, but ALL of the optos. We both found that once we unblocked the partially obstructed opto, all sanity was restored. Check the opto paths on the warp ramp, and then perhaps even the other ramps, to make sure there's NOTHING that could be blocking their path. Do please let us know if this helps...

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/176#post-5865813
and
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changed-a-target-now-switch-test-shows-two-other-switches-going-nuts

#8952 3 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Mine is doing the same thing. Can not trace down the error. After putting the playfield back down tonight (hard) now everything is working again. Chasing ghosts is the worst.

foxtj24 - please see my preceding post; it might help? (It also might not, but this problem sounds very familiar...)

#8953 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

uuuhhh...... the what where now? hahaha sorry. I have done the test before with the door open. But I don't remember a switch. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Cheers, open the coin door panel. To the immediate left of the opening is a beige/white little tab (kind of like a horizontal golf tee) that can be pulled out to the right when the door is open, and is automatically pushed back in when the door is closed. Pulling that tab out is the override that allows the coil tests (etc) to be performed with the door open.

But yeah, the two of us had the same problem, where the issue was neither the wiring nor the boards. (I have four extra opto boards now to show for it. ) But at least it helped to rule them out as the problem...

#8954 3 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Cheers, open the coin door panel. To the immediate left of the opening is a beige/white little tab (kind of like a horizontal golf tee) that can be pulled out to the right when the door is open, and is automatically pushed back in when the door is closed. Pulling that tab out is the override that allows the coil tests (etc) to be performed with the door open.
But yeah, the two of us had the same problem, where the issue was neither the wiring nor the boards. (I have four extra opto boards now to show for it. ) But at least it helped to rule them out as the problem...

I have 4 extra opto boards and 4 sets of opto's as well. I have not had a single issue since I lowered the opto's on my warp ramp.

#8955 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

The color (white) flasher at the right and left slings? What color did you use?

Just to make it easy these are the color flashers I used as listed in the settings

Left Ramp (Top): Red
Right Ramp (Top): Blue I replaced the yellow dome with blue
Kick Back: Red
Ramp (Left): Red
Pop Bumper: Blue
Warp Ramp Entrance: Purple (I bought a blue as well but so far I like the purple)
Center 3 Bank: Blue
Ramp (Right): Purple (I also put a purple LED under the ramp, this is the only color I have in playfield GI)
Left Loop: Red
Upper Right Flipper: Purple
Vengeance Ship: Red (I have the red ring in mine as well)

#8956 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Just to make it easy these are the color flashers I used as listed in the settings
Left Ramp (Top): Red
Right Ramp (Top): Blue I replaced the yellow dome with blue
Kick Back: Red
Ramp (Left): Red
Pop Bumper: Blue
Warp Ramp Entrance: Purple (I bought a blue as well but so far I like the purple)
Center 3 Bank: Blue
Ramp (Right): Purple (I also put a purple LED under the ramp, this is the only color I have in playfield GI)
Left Loop: Red
Upper Right Flipper: Purple
Vengeance Ship: Red (I have the red ring in mine as well)

Would you have a video showcasing the effect ?

Regards

#8957 3 years ago

Xaqery hey Dwight is there any chance of a code update for Star Trek that could add a high score board for each mode?

I don’t ever plan to sell my STLE and would love some more scoreboards to Chase, recent updates for AIQ, TMNT and DP added a tonne of scoreboards for modes and just adds another level of fun chasing them. Thanks for reading.

#8958 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

xaqery hey Dwight is there any chance of a code update for Star Trek that could add a high score board for each mode?
I don’t ever plan to sell my STLE and would love some more scoreboards to Chase, recent updates for AIQ, TMNT and DP added a tonne of scoreboards for modes and just adds another level of fun chasing them. Thanks for reading.

Yes all 18 modes and Spinner too.
Plus any wizard mode champ.
The people have spoken.
Now beam me up Scotty!

#8959 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Yes all 18 modes and Spinner too.
Plus any wizard mode champ.
The people have spoken.
Now beam me up Scotty!

That would be the most logical outcome!

The most recent updates for AIQ and DP added a tonne of scoreboards to those games and it adds a tonne of replay ability and added life to a game.

#8960 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Yes all 18 modes

Only 17 really. PD 2&3 are the exact same mode. Would be nice to see some variation in one of them.

I think it's highly unlikely an update is going to happen though.

#8961 3 years ago

Couple quick questions on Stern Star Trek pro scoring.

What triggers the "special" lamp at the away team shot? I was playing the other day on what was eventually a new GC score, this happens to me very infrequently so I'm not entirely sure as to everything I had accomplished other than finally hitting Warp 9. The special lamp lit but unfortunately I drained before hitting it. I've searched all the scoring forums and can't seem to find what specifically lights it.

Second, what are the different ways to get extra ball? I know Warp ramp and finishing Vengeance Scoring but are there others? I got an extra ball light, again on a decent game so lots going on, by what I think was completing all the shots for nero galactic away hitting the red matter targets I think 2 times through. Again did a search for Star Trek extra ball but came up with very little in any forum.

I also vote for updating the high scores for modes etc. My son loves talking smack about even the most trivial of high scores, that's the fun of all the newer games with a high score for everything.

#8962 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

What triggers the "special" lamp at the away team

Random mystery award. I've gotten it maybe 5 times in the 7 years I've had the game.

Quoted from dtrimberger:

Second, what are the different ways to get extra ball?

1. Warp ramps
2. Vengeance 2
3. Mystery award (also super rare)

#8963 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Random mystery award. I've gotten it maybe 5 times in the 7 years I've had the game.

1. Warp ramps
2. Vengeance 2
3. Mystery award (also super rare)

Well those are significantly less exciting answers than I was hoping for. That qualifies as either extra extra extra special at that rate or not special at all since it's irrelevant to the point of not being rewarded ever.

That being said my BM66 has only awarded extra ball from mystery once I think as well.

Thanks though

#8964 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Well those are significantly less exciting answers than I was hoping for. That qualifies as either extra extra extra special at that rate or not special at all since it's irrelevant to the point of not being rewarded ever.

There could be a chance that the logic to award it is tied into replay award percentage. I don't remember ever getting it on a location game.

As for the mystery EB, it is very rare and this might not be relevant, but I think every time I've gotten it I've been in a level 2 or 3 mission.

#8965 3 years ago

i have some stainless steel panels in stock

145$ shipped

253c7f83ce0ff7cfc212cdbc22885b596dccc0f4 (resized).jpg253c7f83ce0ff7cfc212cdbc22885b596dccc0f4 (resized).jpg
#8966 3 years ago

I just joined the club by getting an amazingly good deal on a garage find Stern Pro. Game is like new except for some switch and opto issues I'm going to work on soon.

Only other thing is that it is missing the back box side art. I'm interested in finding the originals or any alternates. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be appreciative.

#8967 3 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I just joined the club by getting an amazingly good deal on a garage find Stern Pro. Game is like new except for some switch and opto issues I'm going to work on soon.
Only other thing is that it is missing the back box side art. I'm interested in finding the originals or any alternates. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be appreciative.

Contact your local pinball distributor. They can order them direct from Stern.

#8968 3 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Contact your local pinball distributor. They can order them direct from Stern.

Ok, thanks. I'm surprised there aren't any neat alternative decals for it though.

#8969 3 years ago

So I'm having this opto issue. They are fritzing out, all of them it seems. I've made sure all the holes are clean, the optos are all lined up (by eye), and I reseated all the optos on their boards and checked that the wire tags line up with the board. What's my next step?

#8970 3 years ago

So I'm having this opto issue. They are fritzing out, all of them it seems. I've made sure all the holes are clean, the optos are all lined up (by eye), and I reseated all the optos on their boards and checked that the wire tags line up with the board. What's my next step?

I had the exact same issue, as have others. I checked every opto, every wire, could not find anything. I then re-seated all the connectors in the back box. Now all is good. Might be a coincidence, but my game has been good for the last 10 plays.

#8971 3 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

I had the exact same issue, as have others. I checked every opto, every wire, could not find anything. I then re-seated all the connectors in the back box. Now all is good. Might be a coincidence, but my game has been good for the last 10 plays.

Trying this now....

That worked! Thanks! New problems though. When the ball kicks out it automatically starts a mission. I'm also seeing that when I hit the magnet ball to start Vengeance Multiball both balls stick and stay in there, getting constant hits on the ship. All optos work correctly in the switch test.

#8972 3 years ago

Just realized, didn't notice because of the other issues, but the yellow circuit lights from the missions to the yellow arrows up the middle aren't working. Looking at the manual, that should be the F2 fuse but it looks fine. Any ideas on that?

#8973 3 years ago

This is exactly what mine does. It's currently being looked at by our local pinball wizard. Bad news is, he's stumped.

Stern is only communicating by email right now and it's been a week with no reply to his email. Pretty bad if you ask me.

None of the fixes on here have worked so far, but he's not giving up.

Once he finds it I'll let y'all know.

#8974 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Stern is only communicating by email right now and it's been a week with no reply to his email. Pretty bad if you ask me.

I emailed stern about something over a week ago and I haven’t gotten anything either.

#8975 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

This is exactly what mine does. It's currently being looked at by our local pinball wizard. Bad news is, he's stumped.
None of the fixes on here have worked so far, but he's not giving up.
Once he finds it I'll let y'all know.

This sounds like the exact same issue I had. I looked at your video and your issue looks identical.

I wanted to post a recent experience I had with the optos on my new to me Star Trek LE. I will try and make this short as possible, but I wanted to post this in case someone else runs into the same issue.
Since I got the game some weeks back I have had an issue where the game would start to award all sorts of random things including warp ramp hits. After reading through this thread I started troubleshooting the optos. I checked every single opto in test mode and I even removed some of the optos to reflow solder.
When I put the game into test mode I could see some optos just going crazy and the only way to stop it was to unplug a single opto from its board and the weird thing is that it did not seem to matter which opto I unplugged. As long as one was unplugged the random hits would stop?? It was hard to tell which opto was going off as it was happening so fast and appeared to be many differnt opto #'s while in test mode.
I actually thought I had this issue resolved on a few separate occasions after removing the opto boards, as well as the optos themselves, but in each case the issue reappeared after playing for a while.

The Fix:
So it turns out my issue was the led light strip on the warp ramp was interfering with the optos for the ramp. How in the world this effected so many other optos is beyond me.
I fixed the issue by lowering the 2 optos for the warp ramp down a little by using tiny washers, which in turn kept the optos away from the led strip that is attached to the warp ramp. Once I did this the problem never resurfaced so I assumed that the led strip must have been covering part of the opto beam.
The thing I still find strange is the amount of different optos that would go crazy in test mode, as well as the fact that when I rolled a ball past the optos on the warp ramp while in test mode it acted normal and did not cause all the optos to start going crazy.
Of all the pinball issues I have chased down in the past this one has to be one of the worst. I ended up taking a lot of the game apart including ramps and the Vengance ship while trying to locate the issue.

#8976 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

This sounds like the exact same issue I had. I looked at your video and your issue looks identical.
I wanted to post a recent experience I had with the optos on my new to me Star Trek LE. I will try and make this short as possible, but I wanted to post this in case someone else runs into the same issue.
Since I got the game some weeks back I have had an issue where the game would start to award all sorts of random things including warp ramp hits. After reading through this thread I started troubleshooting the optos. I checked every single opto in test mode and I even removed some of the optos to reflow solder.
When I put the game into test mode I could see some optos just going crazy and the only way to stop it was to unplug a single opto from its board and the weird thing is that it did not seem to matter which opto I unplugged. As long as one was unplugged the random hits would stop?? It was hard to tell which opto was going off as it was happening so fast and appeared to be many differnt opto #'s while in test mode.
I actually thought I had this issue resolved on a few separate occasions after removing the opto boards, as well as the optos themselves, but in each case the issue reappeared after playing for a while.
The Fix:
So it turns out my issue was the led light strip on the warp ramp was interfering with the optos for the ramp. How in the world this effected so many other optos is beyond me.
I fixed the issue by lowering the 2 optos for the warp ramp down a little by using tiny washers, which in turn kept the optos away from the led strip that is attached to the warp ramp. Once I did this the problem never resurfaced so I assumed that the led strip must have been covering part of the opto beam.
The thing I still find strange is the amount of different optos that would go crazy in test mode, as well as the fact that when I rolled a ball past the optos on the warp ramp while in test mode it acted normal and did not cause all the optos to start going crazy.
Of all the pinball issues I have chased down in the past this one has to be one of the worst. I ended up taking a lot of the game apart including ramps and the Vengance ship while trying to locate the issue.

I hope my problem doesn't come back, because the answer of reseating everything in the back box worked for me.

Now I just have the auto mission start on kick out and the circuit of lights not working.
I think I'll swap lamp circuit fuses tomorrow to see if I just need a new fuse. If anyone has any suggestions on the auto mission start let me know.

#8977 3 years ago

Just curious - does everyone having issues own one of the newer vault games? The optos look different on the vaults versus the original run.

#8978 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Just curious - does everyone having issues own one of the newer vault games? The optos look different on the vaults versus the original run.

Original run here.

#8979 3 years ago

Mine is one of the last Pro runs in 2019. No issues here.

#8980 3 years ago

Lamp test with the center LEDs not working...

20201119_205429 (resized).jpg20201119_205429 (resized).jpg
#8981 3 years ago

If anyone has any suggestions on the auto mission start let me know.

It may be the drop target in front of the Vengence. This is a common problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-drop-target-wont-stay-up#post-1646176

The issue is that when the ball kicks out, the target pops up but doesn’t stay up so the game thinks the ball is in play and has hit the Vengence. The game then starts a mission for you.

#8982 3 years ago

Multiball both balls stick and stay in there,

This is an issue with the opto wires under the playfield and around the magnet. You have to twist them together and move them out of the way. Search this thread and the forum for that. It has been years since I’ve seen someone post on this, but it was a common issue with early production games before they started doing this from the factory.

#8983 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This is an issue with the opto wires under the playfield and around the magnet. You have to twist them together and move them out of the way. Search this thread and the forum for that. It has been years since I’ve seen someone post on this, but it was a common issue with early production games before they started doing this from the factory.

Not surprised. This was a garage find. A guy's mom bought it for him and he says he played it like twice and stuck it in the garage. It was dusty but in great condition. Having to go through all the original troubleshooting here, but there's no sticky posts and 7 years worth of posts to sort through. If you don't know what to search for it's kind of rough. Thanks guys.

#8984 3 years ago

Aside from a connector on the drop target assembly that likely came loose during shipping and fixed on Day 1, my HUO Vault Pro (build date June 2018, ~500 plays) hasn't had a single problem, knock on wood.

#8985 3 years ago

Not surprised. This was a garage find. A guy's mom bought it for him and he says he played it like twice and stuck it in the garage. It was dusty but in great condition. Having to go through all the original troubleshooting here, but there's no sticky posts and 7 years worth of posts to sort through. If you don't know what to search for it's kind of rough. Thanks guys.

Found it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-multiball-magnet/page/7#post-1601229

#8986 3 years ago

Awesome. Thanks. Do I need to take the ship off to get to the optos for that solution or is that something I can do completely under the playfield?

#8987 3 years ago

Awesome. Thanks. Do I need to take the ship off to get to the optos for that solution or is that something I can do completely under the playfield?

I think it is completely under the playfield, but I’m going on memory here. There’s lots of discussion and pictures in that thread I linked.

#8988 3 years ago
#8990 3 years ago

Ok, so looking at those pictures, my wires were already twisted (noticed that while I was reseating them), I just need to make sure they are away from the magnet and twisted all the way up. After that check the drop target assembly for a screw that's sticking out too much or needing to add a washer.

Then I need to experiment with the fuses to see if that's why that circuit of lights is out. It really seems like that's something that would show up in technician alerts but it wasn't there.

#8991 3 years ago

I had an opto board go bad on mine. 2019 Pro Vault.

#8992 3 years ago

All fixed up and playing nice! Thanks everyone for the help.

20201120_193902 (resized).jpg20201120_193902 (resized).jpg
#8993 3 years ago

Does anyone have the .bin file for the movie sound track mod? I've only found 1.61 not 1.62.

#8994 3 years ago

Does anyone have the .bin file for the movie sound track mod? I've only found 1.61 not 1.62.

Generally speaking I'm on team always use the latest code. In this case, the 1.62 update did basically nothing. If you like the 1.61 version with the movie soundtrack, use it.

#8995 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-162/page/5#post-5820736

#8996 3 years ago

Just curious, has anyone tried to follow movie sequence in the game mission, and does it bring anything?

Cheers

#8997 3 years ago

last re-run this year

if you are interested in a stainless steel panel 145$ let me know before sunday

253c7f83ce0ff7cfc212cdbc22885b596dccc0f4 (resized).jpg253c7f83ce0ff7cfc212cdbc22885b596dccc0f4 (resized).jpg
#8998 3 years ago

Update on the optos problem.

Went and got my machine back today. Have yet to play it but will update after some plays.

Stern has not returned his emails in over a week. Pathetic customer service.

He went through it all and finally ended up moving some of the opto wiring away from the magnet. There is some documentation that says any EMF may mess up the wires if they are too close and not twisted properly. Twisting them makes the EMF cancel out from end to end of the wires. A straight wire will just carry the EMF and could mess up signal.

So, he said he played on it after doing that and has not had any problems. He's not 100% sure but.... Here's to hoping.

#8999 3 years ago

I'm surprised there aren't any neat alternative decals for it though.

Speaking as the person who'd done the most (as far as I know!) alternative decals for Star Trek it just never made sense to me to offer new side art. Most owners wouldn't want to peel off their nice original decals to install alternatives. Just too much of a headache. Means a limited market for it, not worth the effort to design new ones.

I did the new speaker panel decal, but that's because the original one sucks. It's just that lame black and white texture. For the games after Star Trek that Stern made with that same metal panel they did proper color decals, but Star Trek got screwed for whatever reason. I'm obviously biased since of course I prefer my version, but just in general I think the speaker panel looks better with color art. (Or if you want one of the above metal panels that's cool too, whatever floats your boat, I just think the stock look is boring.)

translite+panel (resized).jpgtranslite+panel (resized).jpg

#9000 3 years ago

Your speaker panel is excellent. It almost looks to be illuminated. My Premium that I bought used had your kit, minus that panel that I then got from you. The entire kit is awesome and makes the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,797 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/180?hl=javagrind888 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.