Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG
DSCN3234 (resized).JPG
There are 10,797 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 216.
#6701 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is there any games or themes at all John that you would like to create some mods for? Maybe not something you would like to own but just create mods for?

IDK... I've considered doing a GOT popcap set... but the issue is I'm not sure how "hungry" people are for that game.
I've also considered a GoG popcap set... and batman 66. but again; not sure how people feel about those games.

I find I have to be "invested" in a title... to make mods. That's why I do games I own... because I can iterate on the mods until they work like I want. I don't subscribe to the "generate random kit based on an off the shelf toy" crowds that just throw some random LEDs as a toy.

TBH; I thought the STNG popcaps were a "slam dunk"... but they just haven't sold like the Stern ST caps. I guess most people aren't looking for mods for the older games.

#6702 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I've also considered a GoG popcap set... and batman 66. but again; not sure how people feel about those games.

Depending on the design you have in mind for BM66 John, I can guratentee you BM66 owners are hungry for upgrades, there is already more than enough Bat symbols/logos on the game but a pop cap set with the shows “fight text” POW, BIFF, etc, with a coloured background (like your Star Trek caps in red, blue, yellow) and a bright led behind them could be a huge hit! If you have a design in mind and want to gauge interest simply ask in the club thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/201 it’s probably the friendliest and most welcoming thread on pinside.

As for GOG (GOTG) from someone who is looking to pick one up HUO, I am a little less keen on spending big bucks on that game but as a fan of your mods John if the design was good enough I’d likely be all over it! The guardians logo seems like the obvious choice. There is a promotional coin out there that is 95% pop bumper size and design for an idea.

A16F6BD4-509C-4536-BE24-74F080B04158 (resized).jpegA16F6BD4-509C-4536-BE24-74F080B04158 (resized).jpeg

Quoted from Zitt:

I don't subscribe to the "generate random kit based on an off the shelf toy" crowds that just throw some random LEDs as a toy.

This is exactly why I am trying to encourage you to do more mods for more games
Your Stern Star Trek mods are f’in awesome, which gives me an idea, backboard mod for GOTG in the same vein as your ST nebula mod would be awesome, the backboard on GOG/GOTG is taken from this scene so a twinkling flicker backboard would be awesome, I love my Nebula mod.

907F023F-DC30-4489-843B-A67ECFE93E10.gif907F023F-DC30-4489-843B-A67ECFE93E10.gif

#6703 5 years ago

Hey Zitt,
I like the nebula mod!
How does this work exactly? What does it do in game and in attract mode? I assume it's not interactive?
Thanks

#6704 5 years ago

When I played a friends AC/DC Luci, the Pinbits lightning bolt flashers mod really left an impression on me. I really wanted a similar *shocking* flash effect on my ST Premium. I've come up with something similar, and made a few extras if anyone wants one: see my ad for more details and time-lapse pics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/64647

VengeanceExplosion (resized).JPGVengeanceExplosion (resized).JPG

#6705 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

When I played a friends AC/DC Luci, the Pinbits lightning bolt flashers mod really left an impression on me. I really wanted a similar *shocking* flash effect on my ST Premium. I've come up with something similar, and made a few extras if anyone wants one: see my ad for more details and time-lapse pics.

Can you make a video of this?

#6706 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

What type of light is this and where does it mount? All I see is a bright flash but am unsure if it’s something that I would add to my pin unless I know what it is. Please give a bit more detail.
Thank you.

#6707 5 years ago

Ah, I thought more people were familiar with the AC/DC flashing/exploding lightning bolts. I updated the ad to hopefully make it clear the flash is facing the player and coming from that explosion plastic, just as pictured. The time lapse pics are in order, on a hit, it comes on instantly very bright and fades out. I guess capturing video would be helpful.

#6708 5 years ago

Here's a video clip to get a better idea:

#6709 5 years ago

Dear Stern,

While you’re making ST Vault, please fix “My name is Kai.”

Kthxbai.

#6710 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Hey Zitt,
I like the nebula mod!
How does this work exactly? What does it do in game and in attract mode? I assume it's not interactive?
Thanks

It just lights the backboard with Ice-Blue and purple leds to actually show the artwork present.
No interactivity; not sure what would be a reasonable "interaction".

Stock LE (Before)Stock LE (Before)

Nebula-ized LE (after)Nebula-ized LE (after)

On my personal machine; I have the Nebula mod tied to my Blackout Dimmer so I can adjust the backboard during KMB.

#6711 5 years ago

Installed a ColorDMD in my Pro and playing with different settings. DotXL or Tile? I'm not sure. What do you think?
Hires looks goofy. Some of the frames look really messed up in HIRES.

#6712 5 years ago
Quoted from splitskull:

Installed a ColorDMD in my Pro and playing with different settings. DotXL or Tile? I'm not sure. What do you think?
Hires looks goofy. Some of the frames look really messed up in HIRES.

Glad you said something about the Hires mode.
I think I am going to get a color DMD as well.
I never saw a color LED display in real life. If Hires looks funky, maybe I could save $38.00 and go that route?
What do you guys think?

#6713 5 years ago

Glad you said something about the Hires mode.
I think I am going to get a color DMD as well.
I never saw a color LED display in real life. If Hires looks funky, maybe I could save $30.00 and go that route?
What do you guys think?

LCD all the way on ST, just make sure you get the foam, I have an LED in my Harley, installed LED in my ST, updated the firmware.... OEM fitment is the only nice thing I can say about it, lasted 1 hour. LCD reinstalled never looked back. I will be using LCD in my GB.

almost everyone uses DOT XL

#6715 5 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

LCD all the way on ST, just make sure you get the foam,

I don't know what you mean by foam??

#6716 5 years ago

I don't know what you mean by foam??

Put a black foam surround around the edge of the display panel to stop light bleed and improve the look of an LCD ColorDMD in the newer Stern display panels. I cut my own out of some black foam I got from work.

#6717 5 years ago

Jeez, if you’re gonna run dots anyways LED all day every day and skip the foam.

#6718 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Jeez, if you’re gonna run dots anyways LED all day every day and skip the foam.

Nah. LCD is SO much better than LED.

#6719 5 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Nah. LCD is SO much better than LED.

I like my LED fine personally. Looks great and fits great, no foam or spacers needed. Don’t know why you guys have to make the square peg fit the round hole, but hey, whatever floats your boat. But seriously, if you’re not running hires why fake the dots?

#6720 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I like my LED fine personally. Looks great and fits great, no foam or spacers needed. Don’t know why you guys have to make the square peg fit the round hole, but hey, whatever floats your boat. But seriously, if you’re not running hires why fake the dots?

The dots on LED don’t look as good as the dots on an LCD.
It is a better fit but IMO it doesn’t look as good. It’s too harsh.

#6721 5 years ago

Ya, I didn't mean to start a LCD vs. LED thread here, but this argument make sense. LED is cheaper and fits better. I know they tend to have higher contrast and better view angle and also they can look gray instead of black if light hits the LED matrix. So is there any advantage to running LCD DotsXL over LED Dots? 

#6722 5 years ago

Ya, I didn't mean to start a LCD vs. LED thread here, but this argument make sense. LED is cheaper and fits better. I know they tend to have higher contrast and better view angle and also they can look gray if light hit the LED matrix. So is there any advantage to running LCD DotsXL over LED Dots?

ColorDMD LED, LED doesn't have circle led glow like the OEM unit, you can see the tri-colors when the LED's fire or single colors, for older pins this is ok enough, and for the less picky.

For ST and similar newer designs, the ColorDMD LCD clones the OEM style dots, at the cost of foam, once installed and foamed, you cant tell a difference other than color dots vs OEM red.

#6723 5 years ago

OK
Thanks

#6724 5 years ago

I didn't put foam around my LCD, and thought it looked good, then you guys kept saying Foam Foam Foam.....and now I can't stop noticing the gap.....Guess I need to fill the gap.. Mind the gap!

#6725 5 years ago

(shrug) Some people always tryin to ice skate uphill.

I own both (like everyone I started with the LCD and it’s my “roamer” but didn’t get an LED until later), I like both, and I admit, hires is a cool feature. If someone asks me what ColorDMD model to get I usually say LCD so you have the hires option. But again, if you’re not gonna run hires anyways why even bother paying more and making it work over getting the one that fits correctly and looks great with dots? I’m honestly baffled.

And I really don’t understand the “too harsh” or “too bright” and “it looks grey” arguements because I don’t think any of those things. I think it has bold bright colors, it’s adjustable, and it looks like what it is, a dot matrix display, and not like a laptop monitor faking it.

It’s like someone saying “I want something that tastes and looks and is shaped like blueberries, but I’ll pay more for a grape and make it work.”

#6726 5 years ago

How thick should this black foam be?

#6727 5 years ago

How thick should this black foam be?

I used 1 inch black foam from my local Lowes/Home Depot, in the door/weather sealing section. 3/4 is the gap, but 1 foam inch will squish down and fill it nicely. BTW, I am both an LED and LCD owner.

Still a fan of the LCD, I used Hi Res once, much happier with DOT XL and it will stay that, even on GB it will be that way. Even if it clones the look of the OEM LED unit, which I believe has a type of small lens to even the light output, hence the perfect circles, in which ColorDMD LED doesn't not have and I notice it.

#6728 5 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

I used 1 inch black foam from my local Lowes/Home Depot, in the door/weather sealing section. 3/4 is the gap, but 1 foam inch will squish down and fill it nicely. BTW, I am both an LED and LCD owner.
Still a fan of the LCD, I used Hi Res once, much happier with DOT XL and it will stay that, even on GB it will be that way. Even if it clones the look of the OEM LED unit, which I believe has a type of small lens to even the light output, hence the perfect circles, in which ColorDMD LED doesn't not have and I notice it.

Thanks for your help!
I just ordered the LCD for ST pro. Now to get the foam. I understand what you mean about lens effect. The Ann Arbor pinball museum showcase, which have attended twice now, uses the LCD's on everything they can. I liked the look of them as well.
Cheers!

#6729 5 years ago

Zitt,
I just ordered the Star Trek Nebula mod, Vengeance Nacelle mod and the Warp Ramp LED mod!

Also a bunch of other Mezel Mods and service rails and drink holder.

This is going to be fun!!!!

#6730 5 years ago

My wife chewed me out for using the F word too many times last night while playing ST.
I got to thinking... Somebody should make a mod that detects that word and blacks out the playfield for a second to remind you to watch your language LOL!
Of course, I would never buy it!

#6731 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I haven't seen a HIRES video for ST, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of that look.

This video will show the LCD in HiRes mode. However, this is before the color rom was completed, but it still gives you a good demonstration of what the HiRes mode will look like. Play video at full screen for best result.

#6732 5 years ago

Play video at full screen for best result.

Thanks for the video. That's exactly what I've been looking for. I like the lettering a lot in HiRes. The ship animations look really good too. Some of the character animations look kind of strange, but this video sealed it for me. I'm going to go LCD, so I have the option of HiRes. I didn't see any light around the screen edges, so I'm wondering if this has it or not.

#6733 5 years ago

Surely it makes sense to re-visit the code if another run of machines is happening.

#6734 5 years ago
Quoted from BigPhil:

Surely it makes sense to re-visit the code if another run of machines is happening.

61F59D98-08B0-4349-A547-B3BF83EF0FBA.gif61F59D98-08B0-4349-A547-B3BF83EF0FBA.gif

#6735 5 years ago
Quoted from BigPhil:

Have you actually met the stern team?
Have you actually seen them revisit code?
Yeah; when the redo the art like on BM66 or SMVault.... sure.
But They didn't revisit (IIRC) for IMVE or the others.

I'd love to be wrong; but not holding my breath.

#6736 5 years ago

I am considering purchasing a new premium ST but am very poor and am looking for the best deal. Is now the best time to buy or wait until stern rereleases them and try to snatch up old stock? Will it matter do you think?

#6737 5 years ago

Zitt referencing https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/135#post-4419479 have you given any more thought to expanding your mods to further titles?

#6738 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I am considering purchasing a new premium ST but am very poor and am looking for the best deal. Is now the best time to buy or wait until stern rereleases them and try to snatch up old stock? Will it matter do you think?

Not sure if there are any old stock ST available? I have seen some pros listed for exorbitant prices, but no premiums. And if you're poor, you should definitely be considering a used pro instead. I just bought one and it's awesome. I just ordered a thousand dollars in mods for it and still saved a shit ton of money as opposed to buying a new premium and then adding mods to it like a color DMD and art blades etc..! I was even fortunate enough to get one with the Aurich translite and decal mods!

#6739 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Have you actually seen them revisit code?

They put out code for AC/DC like 2 months ago. I'm having faith this time.

#6740 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

They put out code for AC/DC like 2 months ago. I'm having faith this time.

Also code for KISS and TWD came out recently. They've actually been pretty good with the updates this past year...

#6741 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

If you're very poor, I would humbly suggest that a pinball machine costing thousands of dollars isn't in your best interest.

#6742 5 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

If you're very poor, I would humbly suggest that a pinball machine costing thousands of dollars isn't in your best interest.

What I really mean is I don't have the money to buy 10 of these like I see is some of your game rooms. I could only dream of having some the pins I see in these forums, but I will get one of these. Just trying to predict when the best time would be. But yes, I could be spending money on more important things. Does this make me irresponsible?

#6743 5 years ago

Not sure if there are any old stock ST available? I have seen some pros listed for exorbitant prices, but no premiums. And if you're poor, you should definitely be considering a used pro instead. I just bought one and it's awesome. I just ordered a thousand dollars in mods for it and still saved a shit ton of money as opposed to buying a new premium and then adding mods to it like a color DMD and art blades etc..! I was even fortunate enough to get one with the Aurich translite and decal mods!

I like the way your thinking about adding the things you want to it, but isn't there some physical play differences between the pro and Premium? It appears there is so much more for the money with the premium. Is it worth the extra cost?

#6744 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I like the way your thinking about adding the things you want to it, but isn't there some physical play differences between the pro and Premium? It appears there is so much more for the money with the premium. Is it worth the extra cost?

There are just a couple play differences:

Upkicker from far left lane instead of a scoop release
Kickback from left outlane instead of virtual save

They both change the dynamic of play since they're different mechanisms. I don't think either is game breaking. If you go for a Premium you're really doing it for the cosmetics and a couple other functional enhancements:

More articulated crashing Vengeance toy
LED color changing inserts
Laser Starfield projector
Warp ramp chase lights
Enterprise toy
Vengeance art and translite
Backbox flashers
Chrome wireforms
Red button protector siderails
Red legs
Service rails
Slide-type lockdown bar mechanism

So there are differences... the question is what are they worth to you?

#6745 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

the question is what are they worth to you?

They certainly will be for me when I purchase an LE/Prem.

#6746 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

They certainly will be for me when I purchase an LE/Prem.

I think I would agree. I know it is a considerable difference in cost, but the added goodies seem to be worth it. But also for the difference in cost i could mod and upgrade the heck out of it... tough decision.

#6747 5 years ago

ST Premium is one of the most beautiful pins that Stern has ever made. For me it's well worth the difference.

#6748 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I think I would agree. I know it is a considerable difference in cost, but the added goodies seem to be worth it. But also for the difference in cost i could mod and upgrade the heck out of it... tough decision.

And for some reason the LE/Prem models just have a certain "feel" to them that makes them play better. Call me crazy, but I think it's the rail guards. They make the game feel much more solid.

You can just tell this is the version of the game Steve Ritchie wanted everyone to be playing.

#6749 5 years ago

Prem is the way I went and never second guessed it since! Mods are many but not all.
Aurich translit kit
Color dmd lcd
Zits pop caps
Upgraded speakers (everyone should do this)!!
Lighted flipper buttons
Lighted shooter housing
Cliffy protectors
Lighted stainless panel

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6750 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

What I really mean is I don't have the money to buy 10 of these like I see is some of your game rooms. I could only dream of having some the pins I see in these forums, but I will get one of these. Just trying to predict when the best time would be. But yes, I could be spending money on more important things. Does this make me irresponsible?

Some of us bought our games before prices went stupid (Besides ST and RFM, I believe all my pins cost under $1500 (Some, $50/$100 etc))...I grabbed a Pro, because to me, the cost involved above Pro is stupid (Not digging on anyone, I just can't justify it on a toy)... Could I afford it, yes, will I spend it, no...Just buy what you enjoy and can comfortably afford.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,797 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/135?hl=investingdad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.