PXL_20240127_043801582.MP (resized).jpg
Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG
There are 10,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 217.
#6651 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Strategy question: Is it always beneficial to shoot the Galactic Away Team when it's lit and you're in a mode?

For the most part yes. GAT modes all score more than their counterparts.

Some exceptions:

SJ G Is shoot the vengeance once and it's done. You are awarded a medal higher than when you started it. Meaning for max value you want to first get a silver medal in SJ and then hit the away team.

DtD is the spinner. If you're spinner is maxed out, the galactic mode doesn't score that much more. 75k v 68k per spin I believe.

The other consideration is the shots you have to make in the galactic mode vs normal. Most of the normal modes let you make multiple shots to progress vs 1-3 focused shots in the galactic mode.
StE is a good example. Reg StE is pretty easy. Galactic StE is only spinner and warp. If you're struggling with the warp, you might want to avoid.

Nero also falls into this cat. Nero g is shoot the standups. They don't re light until you complete them which can be dangerous. This is a great mode to bring into a mb.

#6652 5 years ago

They add time too, so if your near KM and you are on ball 3 , might want to avoid it so you can get out of your mode and start the mini wizard mode.

I love Nero stacking so the left orbit is multipled, then play STE and DTD as when you galatic away team the left orbit is perpetually light so you can rip it over and over for big points and that added time means you get to crush it even longer

#6653 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

They add time too, so if your near KM and you are on ball 3 , might want to avoid it so you can get out of your mode and start the mini wizard mode.
I love Nero stacking so the left orbit is multipled, then play STE and DTD as when you galatic away team the left orbit is perpetually light so you can rip it over and over for big points and that added time means you get to crush it even longer

I read thru some old strategy threads that went into serious detail about Nero stacks and other 3 deep strategies. There was some disagreement about how the scoring actually worked. When it got to the glass off testing discussions, it got a little too intense for me!

#6654 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I read thru some old strategy threads that went into serious detail about Nero stacks and other 3 deep strategies. There was some disagreement about how the scoring actually worked. When it got to the glass off testing discussions, it got a little too intense for me!

Probably me telling everyone they're wrong

Moral of the story is going 3 deep is not a true doubler, hence not nearly as valuable as everyone makes it out to be.

#6655 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Probably me telling everyone they're wrong
Moral of the story is going 3 deep is not a true doubler, hence not nearly as valuable as everyone makes it out to be.

That was the short version that I took away from it.

#6656 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

The standup target just to the left of left orbit is leaning into the orbit and kicks the ball SDTM on a slow rollback. Don't know if that can be adjusted, or if the adjustment is "just bend it".

It's probably bad form to quote myself, but I need some advice on this stand-up. I bent it to the left to get it out of the way of the left orbit, but after a day or two it's back in the way. I've done it twice, and it's gone back to that position both times. I don't want to keep bending it as that might eventually weaken it. Has anyone else had this issue? Has anyone found a permanent solution? Is it possible to re-position the stand-up slightly to the left?

#6657 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

It's probably bad form to quote myself, but I need some advice on this stand-up. I bent it to the left to get it out of the way of the left orbit, but after a day or two it's back in the way. I've done it twice, and it's gone back to that position both times. I don't want to keep bending it as that might eventually weaken it. Has anyone else had this issue? Has anyone found a permanent solution? Is it possible to re-position the stand-up slightly to the left?

Hmmmm I wonder if those Target Splints will work for this. Can't remember who makes them.

#6659 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I always use a washer under the pf for leaning targets.

#6660 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I always use a washer under the pf for leaning targets.

Can you post a picture of that for the op, I’m also interested.

#6661 5 years ago

I became a triple-club member this week! Picked up a nice DE in great cosmetic shape. Just a couple of tweaks, a shop job, and some LEDs and she'll be primo.

20180516_193105 (resized).jpg20180516_193105 (resized).jpg

#6663 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I became a triple-club member this week! Picked up a nice DE in great cosmetic shape. Just a couple of tweaks, a shop job, and some LEDs and she'll be primo.

I always wanted that game. Congrats on the triple play. Now get yourself a Stern ST.

#6664 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Now get yourself a Stern ST.

Definitely next on the priority list! Premium or, if I can find one at a decent price, an LE. Time to start saving.

#6665 5 years ago

Does the Vengeance list a little to one side for anyone? I just got a used Pro and that was the first thing I noticed...

#6666 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Does the Vengeance list a little to one side for anyone? I just got a used Pro and that was the first thing I noticed...

Yes. I think some people straighten it, but I forget how. For me, I like the tilt. It makes it seem like it just rounded a corner and is now coming straight at you.

#6667 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

It's due 100% to the wiring path as it passes through the back panel...drove me nuts for awhile (on the LE...guessing same for Pro)

#6668 5 years ago

This just started yesterday. When the right flipper button is pressed, there is a buzzing sound that comes out of the speakers. It isn't noticeable in regular play, but it becomes really noticeable when I'm holding the right flipper up for AT or cradling on the right side. I don't know much about electronics or the actual workings of a pinball machine, so any insights would be welcome.

#6669 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

This just started yesterday. When the right flipper button is pressed, there is a buzzing sound that comes out of the speakers. It isn't noticeable in regular play, but it becomes really noticeable when I'm holding the right flipper up for AT or cradling on the right side. I don't know much about electronics or the actual workings of a pinball machine, so any insights would be welcome.

Are you sure it is the speaker that’s buzzing and not the flipper itself? Stern flippers are known to buzz when held.

#6670 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Are you sure it is the speaker that’s buzzing and not the flipper itself? Stern flippers are known to buzz when held.

No, not sure. I'll try to narrow the sound down to location tonight. It just seemed to start yesterday, so is there any way to make it stop?

#6671 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

No, not sure. I'll try to narrow the sound down to location tonight. It just seemed to start yesterday, so is there any way to make it stop?

If it’s the flipper, there are a few ways to lessen it, but I’ve never done them. Search the forum for Stern flipper buzz or hum. I know people posted some things to try.

#6672 5 years ago

Joined today with a very nice le

IMG_1182 (resized).JPGIMG_1182 (resized).JPG

IMG_1183 (resized).JPGIMG_1183 (resized).JPG

#6673 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

so is there any way to make it stop?

I've file the plunger end and coil stop flat and that usually makes it better.

Robert

#6674 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If it’s the flipper,

It's definitely the flipper. The left one does it as well, but it's so much lower that you can't hear it over the game sounds. You have to put your ear directly over the glass to hear the left flipper buzz. Buzz from the right one is much louder. I'll search the forums and see what I can find.

#6675 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

It's definitely the flipper. The left one does it as well, but it's so much lower that you can't hear it over the game sounds. You have to put your ear directly over the glass to hear the left flipper buzz. Buzz from the right one is much louder. I'll search the forums and see what I can find.

The flippers buzz on sterns all the time. It's annoying but considered normal as far as I can tell.

#6676 5 years ago

Just turn up the sound, tada buzzing gone

#6677 5 years ago

Check your coil stops and plunger tip, if they’re worn the buzz is worse. You can either file them smooth or replace. I like to replace those curved washers and coil sleeves while I’m in there.

#6678 5 years ago

Pulled this receipt out of the Data East Star Trek i picked up on Wednesday. $843 since 1994 and it's been HUO ever since.

20180516_204139 (1) (resized).jpg20180516_204139 (1) (resized).jpg

#6679 5 years ago

Going to order a ColorDMD for my ST Premium. I haven't seen a HIRES video for ST, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of that look. Does anyone have their display set to HIRES? Or if you have an LCD, can you switch it over for a quick game? Short video or stills?

The $38 difference seems negligible if already spending $385. So, is LCD, with its available options, the logical choice given you can still set it to dots? Or does LCD Dot XL not compare to the LED display?

#6680 5 years ago

There is (was?) a video on you tube of the hi res mode, it looks okay but myself I don’t care for it, or for the way you need to finagle the LCD display into a new stern while the LED fits like it was meant to be there.

#6681 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Going to order a ColorDMD for my ST Premium. I haven't seen a HIRES video for ST, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of that look. Does anyone have their display set to HIRES? Or if you have an LCD, can you switch it over for a quick game? Short video or stills?
The $38 difference seems negligible if already spending $385. So, is LCD, with its available options, the logical choice given you can still set it to dots? Or does LCD Dot XL not compare to the LED display?

Sorry, no videos and my machine is not currently at my disposal. I have installed the LCD on my ST Pro and like it for the ST because of the futuristic look. I do have a ColorDMD LED on my LOTR and like that as well. The LED is bright and a perfect fit. Videos would help, however, I would encourage you to go out in the wild and find both flavors.

#6682 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I had to replace two of the flipper coil stops after about a year of owning my STLE. Check to see if there's any play between the two types of metal that make up the stop. If it's loose, just replace it. I also had metal filings in the bottom of my cabinet. I got replacements from Pinball Life and they've been fine. I don't think mine buzz anymore, but keep in mind that a little buzz may be normal.

#6683 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I have the LCD, easy install, looks great!...I have mine on Dot XL.... After watching video of LED and LCD, I, like many others, preferred the LCD for ST.

#6684 5 years ago

Stern just announced a VE of Star Trek pro and prem unchanged. Hope that means a code update might still be in the works!

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10156524711514244

#6685 5 years ago

Stern just announced a VE of Star Trek pro and prem unchanged. Hope that means a code update might still be in the works!

Great news for people still looking for pros and prems! Might have to order a prem myself now

#6686 5 years ago
Quoted from cartman5579:

Great news for people still looking for pros and prems! Might have to order a prem myself now

Awesome! Does anyone have a guess to how long they will produce them? I won't be able to purchase for at least 8 to 12 months, hoping they will still be making the VEs then. ST Premium is the next pin I want to get.

#6687 5 years ago

Sounds like we got more crew members on the way in!

#6688 5 years ago

Wow... I just just about to give up on my Stern_Star Trek products... I guess I'll have to see if the Vault editions re-ignite the demand for these products.

#6689 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Wow... I just just about to give up on my Stern_Star Trek products... I guess I'll have to see if the Vault editions re-ignite the demand for these products.

I thought of you almost immediately last night after seeing the announcement. Hold on for another year at least it would seem, as I will for sure be needing them... either on a new VE, or on a gently used premium.

#6690 5 years ago

I've done a fair amount of searching and can't find anything specific about the level 1 mode shots. They are all pretty much "chase the flashing lights", but is there a description of the different coded patterns to the modes? I also know that they are all on timers, so shoot as many as you can in "X" seconds. But there has to be some coded structure to each of them.

Even after 3 years, the TiltForums' rulesheet says "shoot x, y, z shots for ? points"....

I've been trying to figure out patterns during play, but I don't see consistency. For example, I started to think that STE was a right, left, right structure, but sometimes it starts with right shots lit, and sometimes it starts with the left shots lit. Active shots will switch sides, but how and why? Not after one shot. Is it two? Or is it after a certain sequence? PD seems to be all shots are lit and go out as you shoot them, and they all re-light when you only have a couple left...what is the exact number?!? Does order matter? In KB, inactive shots seem to activate while I'm clunking the AT shot. The left ramp isn't on, then it is...I can't figure it out!! I'm a rules guy, so I find this very grating.

Sorry for the frustrated rambling, but does anyone know what the actual level 1 mode coding says about how the shots activate and deactivate?

#6691 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I've done a fair amount of searching and can't find anything specific about the level 1 mode shots. They are all pretty much "chase the flashing lights", but is there a description of the different coded patterns to the modes? I also know that they are all on timers, so shoot as many as you can in "X" seconds. But there has to be some coded structure to each of them.
Even after 3 years, the TiltForums' rulesheet says "shoot x, y, z shots for ? points"....
I've been trying to figure out patterns during play, but I don't see consistency. For example, I started to think that STE was a right, left, right structure, but sometimes it starts with right shots lit, and sometimes it starts with the left shots lit. Active shots will switch sides, but how and why? Not after one shot. Is it two? Or is it after a certain sequence? PD seems to be all shots are lit and go out as you shoot them, and they all re-light when you only have a couple left...what is the exact number?!? Does order matter? In KB, inactive shots seem to activate while I'm clunking the AT shot. The left ramp isn't on, then it is...I can't figure it out!! I'm a rules guy, so I find this very grating.
Sorry for the frustrated rambling, but does anyone know what the actual level 1 mode coding says about how the shots activate and deactivate?

hmm, they all seem fairly structured to me. im not in front of my game and i usually GAT so it changes things up as well but from memory i think:

Prime Directive: All main shots are lit for mode shots. Once you've cleared all but two they will all re-light

Nero : Similar to PD but they will re-light off a timer if you dont clear them all in a set time. Have to clear them all to get it to re-light prior to whatever amount of time its on to re-light them all. probably some sort of points are lost i have no idea.

DTD and StE : I always GAT these after making one shot so not too confident on order

Space Jump: I usually make 3 shots then GAT to center for a quick silver medal so not sure on order but more shots start to light after some time has passed i think

Klingon: Not sure GAT this and combo ramps back and forth

hopefully some others can chime in for ya but i think if you just play the modes a few times you can kinda see the order in which they work

#6692 5 years ago

I agree that the GAT sequences and the Level 2's and 3's are very clear. But you definitely back up my point. You've probably played this game for a while, but you still "think" this is how it works. That kind of unknown rule set drives me crazy. I love the game, but the fog of uncertainty is an itch I can't scratch.

#6693 5 years ago

Well,
I'm going to pick up a Star Trek Pro tomorrow! Has the Aurich translite and decal mods and an LED Star Trek topper and shaker motor. I will be needing some additional mods. Is it worth spending the cash on a Color DMD? I know this game doesn't have the best dots?
Thanks

#6694 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I thought of you almost immediately last night after seeing the announcement. Hold on for another year at least it would seem, as I will for sure be needing them... either on a new VE, or on a gently used premium.

LOL, thanks.
I need to "invest" in some new games so I can do some modding... but TBH; I'm pretty "Meh" with most games coming out.

Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Is it worth spending the cash on a Color DMD? I know this game doesn't have the best dots?

IDK who's telling you that... ColorDMD is a must have IMHO.
The color dots are 100x better than a red LED dmd... and Dmod 's team can't work wonders when there isn't art coming from Stern across the dmd interface. I personally don't think the game looks right without a ColorDMD - it's must have.

#6695 5 years ago

That was the first thing I thought/hoped would come out of a VE release, hopefully Dwight is given sometime to refine the ST code, he has certainly found his coding stride with each of his games getting better and better.

Its worth remembering ST wasn't his game he was brought into do a last minute save after Lonnie dropped the ball on the code big time, Dwight did a really nice job in the limited time he had, it would certainly be nice to see what changes (as well as bug fixes) Dwight could bring to the table with a proper time frame time given to him for ST code.

#6696 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

IDK who's telling you that... ColorDMD is a must have IMHO.
The color dots are 100x better than a red LED dmd... and dmod 's team can't work wonders when there isn't art coming from Stern across the dmd interface. I personally don't think the game looks right without a ColorDMD - it's must have.

Ya, I was wondering though, if it's worth the investment into a Pro? A Premium or LE would be a no brainer.

#6697 5 years ago

#6698 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I need to "invest" in some new games so I can do some modding... but TBH; I'm pretty "Meh" with most games coming out.

Is there any games or themes at all John that you would like to create some mods for? Maybe not something you would like to own but just create mods for?

I have all your ST mods and they are f’in awesome, easily some of the best quality mods out there for any game and they all make a huge difference that looks factory.

#6699 5 years ago

btw if there is a software update I might be rejoining this club. Get those mods ready again.....

#6700 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

btw if there is a software update I might be rejoining this club. Get those mods ready again.....

I am hopeful, Dwight didn’t get a lot of time on the code, he was put on it last minute to rescue the title, IMO you can clearly see what parts Lonnie did and what parts Dwight & co did, would be great for us as well as Sterns VE sales if they give Dwight a little time to go back and polish/bug fix the current code plus give the entire game a once over as he’s been putting out some great code and he clearly didn’t get chance/time to make ST shine as much as he’s been able to make code great on GOT and SW.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 10,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 217.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/134?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.