PXL_20240127_043801582.MP (resized).jpg
Star Trek LE Plate (resized).jpg
Star Trek Board 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8683 (resized).png
IMG_1851 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3237 (resized).JPG
DSCN3236 (resized).JPG
There are 10,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 217.
#6151 6 years ago

Installed a Bird of Prey that lights with the spinner and finished the Enterprise topper on my STLE.

https://www.facebook.com/tresvogt/videos/10105017986786222/

#6152 6 years ago

Put the colour update in today. Like quite a few here I’ve had the colorDMD display in for 2 and a half years. Randy and team did a fantastic job on this. As much as the blue was good it’s nice to finally see it colorised. Hires looks awesome.

#6153 6 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Hires looks awesome.

Any way you can post a couple of examples? I've been really curious to see what this looks like.

#6154 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Any way you can post a couple of examples? I've been really curious to see what this looks like.

Just check it out on youtube.
However, these two videos are only of the LED version. I'm still awaiting a Hi Res LCD video.
Cheers!

Added over 7 years ago: Or Scan mode.

#6155 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

#6156 6 years ago

What about the scan mode?

#6157 6 years ago

Well worth the money!! Easy installation took about 10 minutes.

E1A4A885-4507-4A9F-872B-04AEB6274AFE (resized).jpegE1A4A885-4507-4A9F-872B-04AEB6274AFE (resized).jpeg

#6158 6 years ago

What's the difference between LCD and LED and how does one decide which to use?

#6159 6 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

What's the difference between LCD and LED and how does one decide which to use?

When ever someone asked which was better for ST, LCD was mentioned....That's how I decided lol. Will be here on the 23rd, will know if I chose wisely then (Also, who knows what will happen in the future, maybe movie clips can be added (wishful thinking))

#6160 6 years ago

LCD is basically a laptop monitor and same as displays in newer games. LED is more similar to old dot matrix displays except in color. The LCD is more square (taller) than the rectangle displays so that causes some issues on installation for certain games. For ST and similar Stern games, you end up having to mount it further back with spacers because of how Stern built things. The LED as far as I know is the exact same size and direct replacement of old displays. It's needed for some games like CV where there is no extra room for the larger LCD display.

Which looks better is based on opinion. The LCD does give you several displays options which is nice. The LED is much brighter and more contrast than the LCD. I think the LED is too bright but someone said it can be adjusted. From what I have seen, I prefer the LCD. I wish it was a little brighter but more pleasing to the eye than LED.

#6161 6 years ago

I prefer the LED myself for the brightness, bolder color, better viewing angles and I think the smoothing modes on the LCD displays look kinda weird. Plus they fit like OEM.

BUT... they're both really good!

#6162 6 years ago

It seems like the majority prefer LCD on pinside. Still on the hunt for a ST Prem. Hopefully one day I'll be a member of the club!

#6163 6 years ago

I'm in . Just picked up a dAta east star trek..

#6164 6 years ago

Anyone have a video yet of the LCD version?

#6165 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

It seems like the majority prefer LCD on pinside.

It's the no dots smoothing mode. I just don't get the attraction. To me, on most games, it just looks kind of unfocused.

On my LCD I use the Dots XL mode, it's pretty nice. But I have 3 LEDs now, they're just what I like, I guess.

#6166 6 years ago

No video (that I have seen anyways) but there are some pix about halfway down this page:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-66-is-star-trek/page/3

#6167 6 years ago

Anyone have a source for the dmd ribbon cable and round playfeild enterprise round insert ? Or the sticker for the round enterprise insert? For star trek data east ..

#6168 6 years ago

The thing I don't like is that the blacks aren't truly black with the LED version. When the screen is mostly black it looks gray because the off leds pick up the light from the pf so they are illuminated and look gray. A Bent Plastic helps but only blocks about 75 % of the reflected light so lower 75% of the blacks look truly black while the top 25% looks gray. I have an LCD on my Met Pro and right next to it is my T3 with an LED so it's VERY easy to compare. So if you get an LED a Bent Plastic shield is a must.

#6169 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I think the LED is too bright but someone said it can be adjusted.

Yes it can be adjusted in settings, One of the only reasons why I got the LED. If it would not have been adjustable I would not have gotten it. I have mine set to 6 and seems to be good there!

#6172 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The thing I don't like is that the blacks aren't truly black with the LED version. When the screen is mostly black it looks gray because the off leds pick up the light from the pf so they are illuminated and look gray. A Bent Plastic helps but only blocks about 75 % of the reflected light so lower 75% of the blacks look truly black while the top 25% looks gray. I have an LCD on my Met Pro and right next to it is my T3 with an LED so it's VERY easy to compare. So if you get an LED a Bent Plastic shield is a must.

I never have noticed that, but I have a similar situation with a LED on Dredd and a LCD on TZ, so I'll look for that next time I play those games.

#6173 6 years ago

Got my ColorDMD LED in today... super happy!

012 (resized).JPG012 (resized).JPG009 (resized).JPG009 (resized).JPG018 (resized).JPG018 (resized).JPGHey ladies.Hey ladies.

Hard to get good shots in game tho!

#6174 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Got my ColorDMD LED in today... super happy!

Hard to get good shots in game tho!

Do you have a Bent Plastic guard you could put on it to see the difference in the blacks?

#6175 6 years ago

Not sure if you have seen the official one but here it is.

Watch "Star Trek ColorDMD" on YouTube

#6176 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Do you have a Bent Plastic guard you could put on it to see the difference in the blacks?

I do not. I'm not that sensitive to glare I guess.

#6177 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I do not. I'm not that sensitive to glare I guess.

It's not about the glare, it prevents the pf lighting from reflecting onto the dmd and lighting up the off led elements which makes the blacks look gray. Try it with a piece of cardboard and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#6178 6 years ago

Yeah, I get what you mean, but it still doesn't really bother me that the blacks aren't "BLACK" enough... I think I do need to drop my contrast a notch tho...

#6179 6 years ago

Should I be able to easily backhand the beta ramp on my game?

#6180 6 years ago

I thought the LED would have the best black levels. I'm thinking LCD now.

#6181 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

On Stern ST? Yes, both ramps are backhand-able.

#6182 6 years ago

Can’t figure out why my right flipper acts weak sometimes. It’s gapped properly. Replaced the sleeve. Adjusted the eos and button switches. Coil checks out. The game is level.

#6183 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Can’t figure out why my right flipper acts weak sometimes. It’s gapped properly. Replaced the sleeve. Adjusted the eos and button switches. Coil checks out. The game is level.

Check that the flipper bat bushing is not binding (has proper gap between playfield and bat bushing).

#6184 6 years ago

Yeah, it's gotta have a little up/down play.

#6185 6 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

When ever someone asked which was better for ST, LCD was mentioned....That's how I decided lol. Will be here on the 23rd, will know if I chose wisely then (Also, who knows what will happen in the future, maybe movie clips can be added (wishful thinking))

It would be most awesome if you could post a video link from Youtube showing the HD Upscaling and Scan Lines modes of your LCD.
Cheers!

#6186 6 years ago

If you're really concerned with which to buy, just get the LCD. It will do everything the LED one does and have all the extra modes too.

#6187 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

It's the no dots smoothing mode. I just don't get the attraction. To me, on most games, it just looks kind of unfocused.
On my LCD I use the Dots XL mode, it's pretty nice. But I have 3 LEDs now, they're just what I like, I guess.

Can you explain Dots XL?
Thanks..

The LCD is more expensive though, but not much..

#6188 6 years ago

Okay, so on a DMD you get more of a glow than you will on a LCD screen so things seem to connect better, right? At the cost of a little fuzziness anyways. Well DotsXL uses larger dots to kind of simulate that. Here's a vid that runs through all the different modes:

And yeah, the price difference is fairly nominal, so again, if you think you might want HIRES or SCAN modes, just get the LCD and call it good.

#6189 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Check that the flipper bat bushing is not binding (has proper gap between playfield and bat bushing).

Are you talking about the gap between the flipper rod and the bushing? The bushing itself gets tightened right next to the playfield doesnt it?

#6190 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Are you talking about the gap between the flipper rod and the bushing? The bushing itself gets tightened right next to the playfield doesnt it?

You don't want the crank assembly binding with the bushing.

I know this is a williams flipper assembly but it should be the same.

The original Williams instructions show the tool being used between the Crank and the Flipper Bushing. It is much easier to put the tool above the playfield, between the Flipper and the Bushing. That way the tool is far from the under playfield clutter. If it is your first time adjusting flippers, you can rubber-band the tool to the flipper so you don't have to worry about it falling off.
Flipper Gauage https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=03-8194
Most credit cards are about .7mm thick. Cut a notch in your card and make your own tool. Don't cut through the magnetic strip or the embossed numbers, if you ever want to use the card again.

**Taken from Vid's Guide on rebuilding flippers.

Below I'm showing the Gap Tool on the Flipper Bushing NOT installed in the playfield, just for clarity.

541f6d3e4ce77b3c748806c4e360242de3054738 (resized).jpg541f6d3e4ce77b3c748806c4e360242de3054738 (resized).jpg

f69972de61401eb49ae41c215d50161dd969d049 (resized).jpgf69972de61401eb49ae41c215d50161dd969d049 (resized).jpg

#6191 6 years ago

Right. The flipper is definitely gapped properly. Thanks for the detailed answer.

#6192 6 years ago

I use a credit card

#6193 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I can do it, but certainly not as easily as Alpha. I consider it a dangerous shot and rarely try it.

#6194 6 years ago

I just sold my ST and have some extra mods for sale if anyone is interested. Green laser upgrade, the black out mod that makes the PF go 50% or total dark during the laser show, and the light up BOP mod.

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-stern-kbop-p-22.html

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-laser-blackout-mod

Pm me if you're interested.

#6195 6 years ago

My Star Trek Pro has just started registering random warp ramp shots but while the ball is totally elsewhere on the playfield. This could be linked to the right flipper but all happened quite quickly, following noticing the first few 'false warps' during play - I cradled the ball on the right flipper and the the game kept registering warp, warp, combo etc with the score increasing again and again.

Has anyone else experienced this? And any pointers on how I'd go about diagnosing/fixing would be much appreciated.

Thank you as always Pinside!

#6196 6 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

My Star Trek Pro has just started registering random warp ramp shots but while the ball is totally elsewhere on the playfield. This could be linked to the right flipper but all happened quite quickly, following noticing the first few 'false warps' during play - I cradled the ball on the right flipper and the the game kept registering warp, warp, combo etc with the score increasing again and again.
Has anyone else experienced this? And any pointers on how I'd go about diagnosing/fixing would be much appreciated.

unplug & re-plug all optical 2-pin connectors at the boards under the playfield, insure the wires are twisted (to reduce noise in the signal) as well.

#6197 6 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

I fixed this for a friend of mine. Make sure that the optos on the ramp are aligned and that there's nothing blocking the IR beam. In his case, the chase lights had become unglued and were triggering the optos.

#6198 6 years ago

Let me know what's wrong, as I really want some freebie warp shots.

I'd look right at the opto board under the PF tho. Probably has a flaky connector or cold solders.

#6199 6 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

unplug & re-plug all optical 2-pin connectors at the boards under the playfield, insure the wires are twisted (to reduce noise in the signal) as well.

Do the red and black power wires as well. That was my problem.

#6200 6 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

Interesting you say that re the 2-pin connectors on opto boards (I assume you mean EVERY 2-pin connector under the playfield?), as just yesterday I re-seated the 'two' 2-pin connectors on the trough opto boards as the game was occasionally registering the ball as having drained (when it had not). This issue seemed to be fixed from my re-seating.... could this be linked?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 10,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 217.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/124?hl=milltown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.