1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by splattii
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider splattii.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I'm a new member and I singed up because I'm looking for some help. Hopefully I've come to the right place.

I recently purchased a used Star Trek (Bally, 1979) locally from a garage sale. Just a lucky find frankly, but I can't get it to reset. It was in a basement for over 10 years. The lady told me her family kept it there but she never played it and didn't want it in her house any longer. It used to work but she thinks a fuse blew.

This is my only SS game, all my other pins are EM's and early ones at that.

When I turn it on all the LCD screens work. They were flashing a bit but after removing the connectors from each score display and re-attaching them the problem went away.

The majority of lights on the playfield work, and they seem to be lighting in the same pattern as anything I've seen on youtube. Replacing bulbs isn't a problem so I'm not worried about the ones that aren't working.

The game seems to boot fine. It flashes the 6 or 7 times it's supposed to and then plays this quick 2-3 second tune which I assumes means it's ready

I can add a credit and I guess use a credit as it will allow me to setup 1 to 4 players. The coin door is a bit rusty but I can trigger the switch with a screwdriver which is fine for now

I can make drop targets drop by touching them, and all of the switches seem to add points to the scoreboard. The sound effects work, and if the ball drains it will add the bonus etc, so the scoring and targets are all ok

The game itself however doesn't seem to be active. None of the bumpers work and the ball doesn't kick out. I think the solenoids are dead or aren't reseting. The flippers don't work, the bumpers are dead and the kickout adds points but won't kickout.

I have battery leakage on the MPU but it doesn't seem to have ruined any boards, and the board below it looks perfectly fine. The MPU seems ok and I have to imagine (this ignorance speaking here) that if the MPU board had any major damage the game wouldn't boot. I removed the messed up batteries but the game still boots up fine and plays the tune so I'm guessing that although I need to fix that at some point, it's not my issue. I could be wrong but this is my current assumption.

When I use the system test/check button on the inside of the coin door I get a flashing 02 on all the displays right after the sound test is over with. I'm not sure what that means. I also notice that when the machine counts from 1-11 (I think this is the solenoid test) nothing resets or happens on the playfield. According to the manuals I got with the machine the playfield should be reseting the solenoid with each count but I might be misunderstanding the book.

When I look at the solenoid driver board I notice the fuse is black. Is there any chance replacing this fuse will fix my issue?

I'm not an experienced electrician but I'm not at the point yet where I think I might need to take this somewhere (I hope).

thank you in advance, I'm doing my best to learn on my own but I can't seem to find any videos or topics that relate to my issue as of yet

#6 1 year ago

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and help. I managed to get this up and running and am currently enjoying this machine. Didn't take me that long but the feedback on here really helped. Thanks again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider splattii.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-bally-1979-won-t-reset-start?tu=splattii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.