Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jawjaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Has this happen to anyone or has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have a ST Pro that I got just about a month ago and the auto launch has lost most of its steam. It does come and go but doesn't seem to stay "strong" for very long. Everything is correct on the machine. No mods, (yet) and it is perfectly level. Its really frustrating when trying to hit skill shots and during multi balls. Rather than launching it all the way around the playfield and feeding it to the flippers, it doesn't even have the juice so it barley makes it to the poppers. This eats up valuable time you need to hit certain targets.

Any new ideas I can try? Something I can check / adjust? I'm totally open to any ideas at this point. Could this possibly be a warranty claim. It is night and day slower than the week I bought it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

#2 9 years ago

This could be an electrical problem but you will need someone with electrical expertise to answer that particular avenue for you if that is the issue (i.e the coil is not getting enough voltage making it weak, rather than the coil itself being weak). Parts even on new games do go bad though, it may just be the case that the coil is bad and it needs replacing. If you can get a new coil under warranty for nothing might be worth getting one anyway.

#3 9 years ago

Historically this has been an issue with the alignment of the auto plunger arm. It happened to ACDC a lot. I've never had to fix it myself, but you just have to get under there and check that the arm is lined up properly. There was also a fix a few people did adding a small spacer or washer in there to help stabilise it. Try searching for the issue under ACDC auto plunger.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-auto-plunger-is-starting-to-get-weak

There you go.

2 weeks later
#4 9 years ago

I have checked the alignment and everything looks fine. I think it may be a a bad coil or flucuations in voltage as sugested above.

Would anyone know the best way to check voltage? Can anyone offer a suggestion?

One side note.. It is odd however, when ever I remove the glass and lift up the play field for something... when I put everything back it seems to be back to normal..... for a few hours then back to very weak. It won't even go all the way around the ramp. This machine was manufactured in Nov 2014..... Frustrating.

#7 9 years ago

Mine too has started to get a bit weak, though not as bad as yours. Mine makes it around the orbit or up to the pops (depending on if the gate is open), just a bit slowly. Similarly, the one time I opened it and played with it, it started working well again for a while. It is now slowing down again a bit, but just a bit. I wonder if it could be the coil sleeve. My alignment looks ok, but perhaps it needs a slight tweak. Interested to hear others experiences with this.

#8 9 years ago

Maybe the wire strands are breaking inside?

btw, this would not be detected by voltage testing.

Try tugging on them near the coil lugs, and see if you have thinning.

#9 9 years ago

Email Stern about it. They were quick to answers my emails and resolve a different issue with my new ST.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-auto-launch-almost-too-weak-to-get-ball-into-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.