New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 65064)

Star Trek Arrived. Impressions.

By markmon

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

GiantDOTS.jpg
images.jpeg
image.jpg
whiny.jpg
star-trek-into-darkness-chris-pine-karl-urban.jpeg
stid-spock.jpeg
star_trek_into_darkness_movie-wide.jpeg
STAR-TREK-INTO-DARKNESS-03.jpeg
ST into darkness.jpeg
Vengeance_command_chair.jpg
enterprise new 423x319.jpg
Hitch9.jpg
TronLighting.jpg
STPRO_Lineup.jpg
image.jpg
ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I said I wouldn't get an LE earlier at $8k. But this played so well that I ordered an LE.

Nice to see a convert. Possibly the first of many. If I recall correctly, you ripped into the LE pretty good didn't you? To see you change your mind after buying the pro, based on early code no less, says a lot about how much you like the pin.

Thanks for the review Mark.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

"seems like a fair non-biased write up. thanks for taking the effort"
Would love to see someone buy a pin, open it in thier house and say, 'ok, this thing is a pos. Who wants to buy it ASAP? Lmao.

Actually a couple of us in SoCal did that with our XMLE's.

But anyway, it's one thing to give a positive review on a pin that you just bought: it's quite another to say that you like it so much that you decided to buy the LE version, especially when you made posts earlier saying that you wouldn't do so.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Yes welcome back RobT. Glad to see you chiming in these crazy ST threads. Are you getting a LE?

Thanks, and yes, I've been on board for a STLE from the start, despite some early reservations.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

i was pretty hard on the initial pics of this machine, but there's a Pro here in town and i agree, best flow ever. Put my deposit down on the LE.

Another convert!

#150 7 years ago

Plenty of red in ST toostid-spock.jpegstar-trek-into-darkness-chris-pine-karl-urban.jpegSTAR-TREK-INTO-DARKNESS-03.jpegstar_trek_into_darkness_movie-wide.jpegST into darkness.jpeg

#156 7 years ago

whiny.jpg

Quoted from SaminVA:

For every red picture you find I can find a blue.
That's why Star Trek should have, needs to have, deserves to have a Color DMD or to sum it all up it was perfect for an LCD.

Thanks for your opinion. For the millionth time.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I would hypothesize that Stern is cutting the BOM of every new game by an additional 10%, except MET

So every new game except the last one. That's a great hypothesis!

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Color me thoroughly unimpressed.

I'm sure we are all shocked by you (and StevenP) being "thoroughly unimpressed". SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The comparison of ST to SM and the "interaction" and "toys", lighting blows it away, items to interact with and toys versus SM, not even close..........

You've said it twice now, but haven't mentioned a single fact once.

How about listing them for us? Shouldn't be hard since it's "not even close".

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Uhhh....how about you listing it for us? It's so clear its a waste of time.........
The "facts" speak for themselves......you aren't seriously comparing the "toy" (singular) and interaction therewith to SM?
Doesn't "interaction" require some code?

Wow. Talk about a dodge!!

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I just don't think being wide body causes the game to be any slower or have less flow.

Widebody pins can have great flow, and DM is a great example. But they do not play as fast as standard size play fields. That includes DM.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Why wouldn't they play as fast?

I'm not going to get into some type of geometry or physics argument. I will simply state that based on my experience with the widebody pins that I've owned, none of them play as fast as most standard sized pins. And it's usually not even close.

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

To make this post more relevant to the topic, a well maintained TNG can play very fast. A game doesn't have to be slower just because it's a wide body. TNG is slower than ST because of the game design itself, not the width of the PF. And I gave you thumbs up for an intelligent post.

The width of the PF is part of the design.

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Thanks. That's bascially what I was saying, but I couldn't come up with a way to do it without getting banned.

Say it however you want. Wide body pins aren't as fast as standard body pins.

#282 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yeah a honda S2000 with vtec tricked out is a very very fast car. Just sayin.

We're going off topic obviously, but when you talk about an S2000 "tricked out" as being a "very very fast car" I'd have to ask you for two definitions: 1) tricked out? 2) very, very fast?

The S2000 is indeed a fast car...for what it is. And what it is is a high revving, lightweight, 4 banger sports car...with very little torque.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

I love my daily driver an 07 Civic Si. The S2000 is for the weekends and not even close to stock, around the track it's hard to beat (not saying it cant be beat or is never beat I'm just saying it's very quick). It's and absolutely fun toy, whether either of you agree matters little to me.

LOL

I'm *very* familiar with the car, believe me. And I NEVER said anything about it not being "quick" and certainly never said anything about it not being fun! I think it's a great car, especially for the money. I came close to buying one.

That doesn't mean that I think it is "very, very fast". It's not (it has no torque). But it's all relative, and subjective, so probably not even worth arguing about.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Never seen a blown s2000?
Torque? Neither does a miata.. but they are fast on the track.
'very very fast' is defined by the clock.. not the speedo.

Defined by the clock. Exactly.

Why don't you take your miata down to the drag strip and see how it does. And Miata's get blown off the race track every day.

Are you even following the conversation? A "blown" S2000? Are we talking about that? Did you see where I asked what kind of mods we were talking about? Nobody said anything about a blower.

#301 7 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

I understand what you are saying, perhaps quick is a better term then fast, the cars top speed is about 155-160 so its not the fastest thing out there for sure. I have only had mine at this speed range a couple times. When I said track I should have clarified I did not mean the 1/4 mile. The s2000 is not meant to be a drag strip car. LOL its funny how a Star Trek thread went into cars.

Right.

We are on the same page. And I know that the s2000 is most obviously not a drag strip car. I was making a point about how someone's definition of "very, very fast" can be very, very different.

If you are a drag racer, the S2000 is actually going to be pretty slow because of it's lack of torque. It's a high revving car, and you've got to get those revs up to keep it moving. Like you said, it's made for the race track/twisties.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside