ST into darkness.jpeg
Vengeance_command_chair.jpg
enterprise new 423x319.jpg
Hitch9.jpg
TronLighting.jpg
STPRO_Lineup.jpg
image.jpg
ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider part_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

LOL, serious question though. Because I have heard it from a few others. What is wrong with the red DMD? Does it clash with the artwork? Would you rather have the orange one? Blue is not an option from Stern.

Blue is an option from Stern. They sell the kit separately.

http://www.sternpinball.com/Community/Blogs/news/36375.aspx

#132 10 years ago

Red seems harsher on the eyes......

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well blue light has been shown to be harder for the eyes to define so not sure this is correct.

That's two different issues....

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

You could be right. I feel that red may be a better choice for the premium owners because of the red side armor. Plus I like the contrast of red to blue on the LE. Too much blue and it's gets bland to me.

Funny, since the Premium would be the one I would purchase....and change the DMD to blue.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Have you seen blue DMDs in person? Those blue LEDs are pretty eye searing, you'd definitely want some kind of filter. I played a Tron with one and found it a little uncomfortable to look at. YMMV.

What kind of filter would you recommend?

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't have the experience to recommend one, some places sell a blue plexi one I think? You definitely need to take the edge off that blue, I really didn't like looking at it. It sounds cool to think about, but I just found the in-person experience uncomfortable. Maybe it wouldn't even bother you, I dunno.

Good to know.

Not buying mine till next year, so might have a better idea if ColorDMD is ever going to get into the Stern business....would rather have one of theirs....even if it was a non-programmed Sigma in the beginning.

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Plenty of red in ST too

But your avatar is Tron. Surely, you must like blue!

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

That blue DMD from Stern has a msrp of $399! Why not just get a ColorDMD and run it in Sigma mode, they're due to have the Stern version out any day now. Who knows, it may end up colorized.

I already mentioned that in a later post.

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

But start with Star Trek.

+1

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

They definitely won't start on a game with code actively being worked on. My guess would be LOTR or TSPP.
But there is always the SIGMA route!

SIGMA is fine with me....until the code for Star Trek is written.

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

So what is the SIGMA option? Using the current Color DMD's but they only are in one color?

One color to choose from out of 49 I think....plus you can use dots, lines, or HD smoothed out images.

Choices are good until the programmed multi-colored ROM comes out for your title of choice.

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Finally saw and played this myself for the first time this week. Distinctly unimpressed. Honestly, the playfield is so stripped down and devoid of things that interact with the ball, it looks like The Pin with a DMD. Honestly, a single plastic ship that shakes with one magnet underneath it? Put it next to Tron (a game with a generally similar look) and it looks pretty bare-bones. Put it next to any typical feature-filled game of the mid-late 90's and it looks like a junior home version. And no, sticking in a bunch of super-bright white LEDs doesn't make up for what's lacking on the pf. My main impression was that Stern is REALLY cutting back on what they put in a game with this title. And raised prices to boot? Wow.
Gameplay impressions: Same old, same old. Same twitchy flippers, fast, heap/flimsy feel to everything, similar clear-plastic/blue-white-light/lightweight look that we've seen in Avatar and Tron. Except with much less to shoot at or interact with the ball. Ball moved fast (like on any new or well-kept game) and the side ramp loop shots came around fast. Nothing grabbed my interest--saw no depth or interesting shots. Changing the color of inserts on the very few main shots for different modes does not make things interesting. The Pin with a DMD and bright white LEDs. Sad.
OTOH, I also got to play MET and liked it. Far more interesting playfield and the artwork and lighting were appealing. The flippers seem to have more 'feel' to them--not sure if that was a physical difference or just based on the layout and appearance, but it felt more connected and fun. Seeing these 2 games side-by-side, my takeaway is they really stripped down the actual pinball elements in ST and try to hide it with lots of bright, shiny LEDs...

Tron is bare-bones, and people love it. Vengeance interacts with user far more than anything in Tron.

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Vengeance interacts? Ah, no. Never comes near the ball. Just a plastic toy connected to a solenoid that bounces occasionally. Nothing else there. A spinner and a 3rd flipper. Tron is pretty basic but it has the arcade scoop by the right inlanes, and the spinning disc with lowering standups. That one little device is more than you see in the whole ST pf, sadly. I would hypothesize that Stern is cutting the BOM of every new game by an additional 10%, except MET actually has interactive stuff on the pf. Not a ton, but some.

Wrong. Acts as virtual lock, and shoots the ball back during Vengeance Multi-Ball. Also, the player and the Vengeance engage in shooting each other virtually with the vertical strip of lights and the Punch It button.

Premium/LE version also crashes into the play field, and there may be more interaction in that mode.

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

You guys have a strange definition of "interacts".
The Vengeance ship is a bobble head. It doesn't interact with the ball at all. The spinning disk on Tron, now THAT interacts with the ball.
So on STID, you've got a drop target with a magnet behind it and I think a kickback on up past that? Not sure about the third part but that's all of the "interaction" with the ball you get from the Vengeance toy. One drop target, one magnet. Color me thoroughly unimpressed.

I consider the ship, drop target, and the "USS Vengeance Disintegrator, Super-Speed Ball Kicker" to all be one item.

Pretty standard, really.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don't know Gary's history or if he is anti-Stern, but I can't fault his analysis.
I like the game, but there isn't that much to interact with on the PF, especially when compared to MET.

There are two different kinds of Pins. Fast flowing, ala Ritchie, or crammed with toys, ala Lawlor. Both have their place, but in a fast flowing game, the number of toys is less important.

#201 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yup, and I like both. (TNG has no shortage of toys)

Yes, but it was a wide body too....and that affects flow.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There's no issue with "flow" on STTNG because of the fact that it's a widebody. Close to zero. Ritchie even went out of his way to have all the poppers preloaded to make the game as fast as humanly possible under most circumstances. The cannons slow things down far more than anything else on that game. If it's playing slow, it's because it ain't set up right, or the player isn't making the shots.
Both games play surprisingly differently from what I can tell after only 2 games on Star Trek (NTNG)

Widebody inherently slows a Pin down. That's OK, because speed doesn't mean better to everyone. But to say a widebody has no effect on speed or flow is incorrect.

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What are you basing that on? The possibility that the difference in nearby mass might be slowing the ball down more due to the added pull of gravity in the vicinty of the ball, or the fact that MOST widebody games have a lot more side to side action, even though STTNG is probably the least offensive widebody game ever made in that regard? Last I checked a ball rolls down a widebody playfield at the same speed as a standard. It's not the fact it's a widebody, it's DESIGN ISSUES 100%.
I said it had no effect on FLOW. There is a difference between FLOW and SPEED, yeah? I just can't do anything but shake my head if you don't think that STTNG doesn't have good flow...if the software had a combo system that was more than "millions ramps", that required a combo shot like Lightcycle Multiball, nobody would ever bitch about it.

You've already been dismissed. Move along.

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Im in agreement with Frax on this one. Sttng has great flow and as long as you are making shots is as good as any Steve Ritchie game ever made. The combo system to get to warp 9 is fantastic. Demolition Man is another. I just don't think being wide body causes the game to be any slower or have less flow.

And it would be faster in a normal sized coffin.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider part_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-arrived-impressions?tu=part_3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.