Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

GiantDOTS.jpg
images.jpeg
image.jpg
whiny.jpg
star-trek-into-darkness-chris-pine-karl-urban.jpeg
stid-spock.jpeg
star_trek_into_darkness_movie-wide.jpeg
STAR-TREK-INTO-DARKNESS-03.jpeg
ST into darkness.jpeg
Vengeance_command_chair.jpg
enterprise new 423x319.jpg
Hitch9.jpg
TronLighting.jpg
STPRO_Lineup.jpg
image.jpg
ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

despite some early reservations.

It's still very "early" Glad your back!

#53 7 years ago

Thanks for the pics Mark. Nice job lighting that beauty up but now all I can focus on are those ugly metal washers. (on the stock pic) Welcome back Rob!

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

WOW! If it is a Cointaker kit on the left side pic and a PinballBulbs on the right side, I would take the pinballBulbs kit any day of the week! It looks way better then the one on the left.

The picture on the left is stock and the right is pinballbulbs kit. I'm not saying this is a cointaker add-on kit, but it uses all cointaker bulbs and in a manner similar to what buying a cointaker kit provides. Cool white in all GI, similar bulbs in inserts, LED flashers, etc. It's really not bad. I'm not trying to say the cointaker stuff is garbage - its not. There are just some additions that I made on my end to really make this pop. This the type of stuff we do for all our kits anyway. It may not be for everyone, but it's our style The kit we will sell will replace a few of the bulbs in the machine, leaves most of them, and adds our extra lighting to even out the playfield.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The picture on the left is stock and the right is pinballbulbs kit. I'm not saying this is a cointaker add-on kit, but it uses all cointaker bulbs and in a manner similar to what buying a cointaker kit provides. Cool white in all GI, similar bulbs in inserts, LED flashers, etc. It's really not bad. I'm not trying to say the cointaker stuff is garbage - its not. There are just some additions that I made on my end to really make this pop. This the type of stuff we do for all our kits anyway. It may not be for everyone, but it's our style

It's my style too, that's why I bought three of your kits already . After seeing the pics how can you not??? Best kits on the market IMHO!

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It seems like if I play Avengers, I end up playing it for 40 minutes per game. It sort of feelsike too much of a chore to play because of that. There are some great aspects to the game. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

Yeah, I'm finding it's a long ass game to play as well...but - I'm enjoying it! Perhaps it's a nice change of pace from the quick-n-die games...but, I'm not finding the long games boring. I think AV has the content to back up the long game times. It's fun to work toward the Vs. modes and try to beat them (which I haven't done). Now - if Star Trek plans on having a deep ruleset (18 modes) - you might need to have long games to get thru all the content.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Alice Eve looks good in dots. Its like 10p resolution....

You obviously haven't seen this on the actual game and in red - it looks HORRIBLE.

#58 7 years ago

nice write up
think I will go ahead and get one

#59 7 years ago

Steve Ritchie must of read the posts from everyone bagging at ST at first and he was prob thinking listen to these pinheads the have no idea.......lol now he is thinking haha i knew you'd like it and he has been pretty quite not buying into the bad mouthing of his pin.........

Should he be know as Steve Elvis the king Ritchie or Steve the silent assassin Ritchie

#60 7 years ago

I gotta ask... is the cab art the same low-res, late 80's style dot matrix ink jet that Stern usually hurts our eyes with?

I ask because I heard (at least for Metallica) Stern upped their cab art game to at least match the 20+ year old Wms art resolution.

What's this one like? And I'm not a hater as I own LOTR and TSPP... thanks!

#61 7 years ago

still reading about ST, before i can play one in real (should be this week-end)
must say i like what i read & see...
as i have no freeplace (and money - lol) should i consider letting go my TRON LE for this new toy !?

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

still reading about ST, before i can play one in real (should be this week-end)
must say i like what i read & see...
as i have no freeplace (and money - lol) should i consider letting go my TRON LE for this new toy !?

You better play ST first before making a big decision like that...

#63 7 years ago

of course

as i bought my TRON LE without knowing anything on it (was risky heh, but it was as it or getting nothing at that time), i was lucky because we all know how this pin is good ! but i dont have to do that again... the market remain open, and i have a very nice "joker" in my hand

we'll see

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

of course
as i bought my TRON LE without knowing anything on it (was risky heh, but it was as it or getting nothing at that time), i was lucky because we all know how this pin is good ! but i dont have to do that again... the market remain open, and i have a very nice "joker" in my hand
we'll see

I'm not sure what the market is over in Europe for Tron LE's but if you can get a nice price you can always sell and take the money and buy both ST Pro and Tron Pro... that's always an option.

#65 7 years ago

WOW! If it is a Cointaker kit on the left side pic and a PinballBulbs on the right side, I would take the pinballBulbs kit any day of the week! It looks way better then the one on the left.

It is false marketing. There are added spot lamps on the right sling to brighten up the lower pf. I'm sure there are other LEDs added throughout the game. There is no way you are going to get that dramatic of a lighting difference just by changing the leds.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I'm not sure what the market is over in Europe for TRON LE's but if you can get a nice price you can always sell and take the money and buy both ST Pro and Tron Pro... that's always an option.

prices are lower than US market...
btw, its quite rare to see a TRON LE on our trading topics
one just appears on "flippermarkt", the german forum (with prices higher for nice pins), without any mod on it, start price is set to 7250€...

(and as the seller is from netherlands, he could be member here)

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

It is false marketing. There are added spot lamps on the right sling to brighten up the lower pf. I'm sure there are other LEDs added throughout the game. There is no way you are going to get that dramatic of a lighting difference just by changing the leds.

It's not false marketing at all. They include multiple spotlights with their led kits in addition to led strips both for the back and front of the PF. That's why it's so dramatic

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

And every single one of those add ons are included with our kit (all our kits). These are no solder addons made to be easy to install. The kit transforms the machine on the left to the machine on the right.

#69 7 years ago

And every single one of those add ons are included with our kit (all our kits). These are no solder addons made to be easy to install. The kit transforms the machine on the left to the machine on the right.

I guess the thing that always makes me wonder about pictures like that is that they don't include exposure data. From playing Star Trek PRO I found it to be well lit. compared to other games.

STPRO_Lineup.jpg

And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with side by side comparisons, but when I snapped 2 pictured of my Tron 10 seconds apart, just a tweak of the exposure yields very different results.

TronLighting.jpg

Showing it with completely dark flippers in the first picture really doesn't show your kit in the "best light" because the exposure seems to be unrealistic.

#70 7 years ago

I'm not in the market for these games, care not a whit for who wins LED pissing contests, and have admitted to markmon grating on my nerves in the past (was a nice guy in person), but I saw this dude's bulbs with my own eyes at the Tacoma show and they are all and everything folks claim them to be. They were far and away the best looking modern games there, and the transformations over the weekend (they dressed up the SPBM's... Tron I think it was, right Mark?) they did were spectacular before/afters.

It's a clear easy choice if you like the look.

#71 7 years ago

i was pretty hard on the initial pics of this machine, but there's a Pro here in town and i agree, best flow ever. Put my deposit down on the LE.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

i was pretty hard on the initial pics of this machine, but there's a Pro here in town and i agree, best flow ever. Put my deposit down on the LE.

Another convert!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I'm not in the market for these games, care not a whit for who wins LED pissing contests, and have admitted to markmon grating on my nerves in the past (was a nice guy in person), but I saw this dude's bulbs with my own eyes at the Tacoma show and they are all and everything folks claim them to be. They were far and away the best looking modern games there, and the transformations over the weekend (they dressed up the SPBM's... Tron I think it was, right Mark?) they did were spectacular before/afters.

I just looked at the install instructions last night. They look great.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I guess the thing that always makes me wonder about pictures like that is that they don't include exposure data. From playing Star Trek PRO I found it to be well lit. compared to other games.

Showing it with completely dark flippers in the first picture really doesn't show your kit in the "best light" because the exposure seems to be unrealistic.

This isn't an led sales thread. It's a review of the Star Trek game. I made a couple comments about lighting and answered questions people asked here about what lighting I changed. I even said the game looked pretty good stock. The pictures are not doctored up. The same camera is used with same settings to take the before and after. Both times, the game looked better in person than in the pictures. However, the before has very little light by the flippers and the after is evenly lit throughout. I'm not trying to run some sort of scam here. Lol.

#75 7 years ago

Unboxing STID Pro tonight. They had one set up to play where I bought it. Had already decided to own since I have the other three, so didn't play it (didn't have time) but it really looked nice in person. Will post pics and comments soon. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Unboxing STID Pro tonight. They had one set up to play where I bought it. Had already decided to own since I have the other three, so didn't play it (didn't have time) but it really looked nice in person. Will post pics and comments soon. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Congrats on the new game!

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

We did a tron, acdc, judge dredd and one other I'm forgetting...

And yeah, if you go to the seattle pinball museum the ACDC and Tron are ones we did at the show.

#78 7 years ago

The Tron was the standout for me because, let's face it, the SPBM's games are usually pretty ratty looking. That Tron was ragged as hell before your swap and ready for prom afterward.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Jealous! Mine is sitting on a truck a couple hours away in STL, but it won't be available for delivery or pickup until Monday...... ughhh. I know, first world problems

#80 7 years ago

Cabinet art is crisp. Not pixelated or grainy. The ship bobble is awesome-it REALLY shakes. And has it's own little led light show which I didn't think the pro was going to have. The sound is great. Sounds like you are right there in the theater watching the movie. The sounds are all takes from the movie. There are some taunts from the captain and spock like "where are we? and "you are off course!" The original series sound track is played and sounds exactly like the TV series. Thought I might not like the plastic returns, but they are so clear (for now) that you hardly notice them. The only thing weird is the synthesized knocker sound. Real close, but you just can't match the old school knock on wood.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

he only thing weird is the synthesized knocker sound. Real close, but you just can't match the old school knock on wood.

Did they change the sound or is it the same old screech?

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Did they change the sound or is it the same old screech?

It's the same old screech new sterns are famous for.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

It's the same old screech new sterns are INfamous for.

Fixed.

#84 7 years ago

Well, this is my first new Stern, so I don't know what you mean by "same old screech". I can say that it sounds like you are sitting in the movie theater, listening to the actual movie call-outs,music and sounds.

#85 7 years ago

this is my impression on the pro;

incredible flow, probably the best one outhere.
super fast but still playable.
playfield does look a lot better in person, i like this better than photoshopped faces on the playfield.
i wasn't sure about the tilted dmd, but it makes perfect sense when you see it.
speaker panel (sticker) doesn't look that bad, could be better, i can already see a lot of mods for this.
lights/leds are great, it was close to a MET pro with incandescent, sorry MET but ST just kicked your a$$ on this and a lot of other things, the leds are definitely a step in the right direction and with code updates it gonna be even better.
i was very surprised about the sound and callout, again updates will make it better.

it's hard to make comparaison with the premium/le since it's not out yet but from what i saw i'd be very happy with a pro and since i like to mod my games and paint it the way i want this would be perfect for me.

all i can say is; code, code, code!

#86 7 years ago

He is talking about the 'knocker' sound. That is the knocker sound all Sterns have. It sounds like a screeching tire or something.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

He is talking about the 'knocker' sound. That is the knocker sound all Sterns have. It sounds like a screeching tire or something.

Isn't it called a chirp now??

#88 7 years ago

I miss the actual knocker in the back box, wish they would allow us to add this on our own. As a kid, always loved the double knock of "beat it and matched it".

Maybe someone can find a better sound that can be replaced with the pinball browser.

#89 7 years ago

Was looking at the LE pics on ebay from Automatedservices, appears to be red lighting strips embedded into side boards above pf. Anyone report on these or confirmed?

#90 7 years ago

Good code is the #1 thing to make his title amazing. I have faith Steve and team won't let us down.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Cabinet art is crisp. Not pixelated or grainy.

Thanks for the cab info. Sounds like Stern has *finally* upped their game on this. 'Bout time

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Thanks for the cab info. Sounds like Stern has *finally* upped their game on this. 'Bout time

They "upped their game" 5 games ago when they switched to high-rez cab decals on Transformers. The printjobs were a bit spotty - but they nailed it on AC/DC onward.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They "upped their game" 5 games ago when they switched to high-rez cab decals on Transformers. The printjobs were a bit spotty - but they nailed it on AC/DC onward.

Tron was still the "old style" though right? Didn't they switch to decals on that at some point? Trying to figure out what to expect if I ever pick up a Tron. thx

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Decals. meh.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Tron was still the "old style" though right? Didn't they switch to decals on that at some point? Trying to figure out what to expect if I ever pick up a Tron. thx

The first run of Tron is still silk screened cab. Any run after that is the new style. So if you don't want a silk screen Tron cab stay away from the one's with the 3D translite unless it was purchased afterwards.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There is a kit for Star Trek. Unfortunately, it looks pretty good out of the box so many people won't see the need. It's basically a cointaker light kit stock. This will convert it to a pinballbulbs style kit.

The pictures really don't do this justice. The photo looks purple and blue bombed and pasty. In real life it's not and instead has an awesome glow. The camera just can't capture this. The evenness of the lighting helps eliminate the seizure effect from the stock cointaker lighting. We also replace a couple flashers that were poorly chosen and a few insert lights ( reds under red, blue under blue ) to help deepen the colors. As I said, the stock really wasn't bad. But I've already had some compliments from locals that saw this finished. The pictures are taken in pitch dark.

I played a fresh out of the box Pro a couple days ago and it looks pretty much exactly like the "after" photo, NOTHING like the "before" photo.

#97 7 years ago

The first run of Tron is still silk screened cab. Any run after that is the new style. So if you don't want a silk screen Tron cab stay away from the one's with the 3D translite unless it was purchased afterwards.

I'm pretty sure some 3D's came with the new cab decals. Tron Pros are all over the map as far as combinations of translite/cab/dmd/ramp toys.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

I played a fresh out of the box Pro a couple days ago and it looks pretty much exactly like the "after" photo, NOTHING like the "before" photo.

That's pretty unlikely if you have the lights off and are in a pitch black room. There's nothing in the machine that lights the lower middle playfield and flipper area stock. If you have some ambient lighting in the room, it could be true. But this really isn't an LED sales thread. If people see no need to add any lighting to this game, by all means they shouldn't. Also, I support getting the game and judging yourself before buying any additional lighting. For me, I didn't find there to be enough light in my dark room so I added more lighting. When I was done, I turned the kit over for pinballbulbs to sell.

#99 7 years ago

Agree with Markmon on this one after playing it last night. It could use a bit more light to really pop. The light show at times kinda made me lose track of the ball. That ship is much bigger in person and has a cool action and light show. I played for about a half hour and saw most of the modes...pretty long ball times overall.

I played ST and a Met Pro last night trying to decide which I want to add to the collection. ST had cool shots but the game rules just weren't there yet. It seemed way more chaotic that Met. I am really leaning toward a Met Pro now and adding some LEDs from one of the vendors on Pinside. I just liked the overall game play on Met better. I also liked the flow of the Pro better that the Met Premium. That damn hammer just gets in the way...

So basically if you already have a STTNG in your collection, you may want to wait this one out for a while...

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That's pretty unlikely if you have the lights off and are in a pitch black room. There's nothing in the machine that lights the lower middle playfield and flipper area stock. If you have some ambient lighting in the room, it could be true. But this really isn't an LED sales thread. If people see no need to add any lighting to this game, by all means they shouldn't. Also, I support getting the game and judging yourself before buying any additional lighting. For me, I didn't find there to be enough light in my dark room so I added more lighting. When I was done, I turned the kit over for pinballbulbs to sell.

Perhaps it's a little brighter down by the flippers...I can't be sure based on memory. But I maintain that the photo on the left is NOT representative of how well lit the stock pro is. Not even close.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside