ST into darkness.jpeg
Vengeance_command_chair.jpg
enterprise new 423x319.jpg
Hitch9.jpg
TronLighting.jpg
STPRO_Lineup.jpg
image.jpg
ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 10 years ago

So I got my Star Trek pro today. My impressions:

- The game has the best shot flow Ive ever seen. First, I love Spider-Man. Perhaps my all time favorite game. This layout is simar. But there are some major differences. This game shoots like acdc but with a third flipper. The ramps are easy backhands with wide openings. It's extremely easy to flow shots. Spider-Man shots are way tighter. The upper flipper ramp shot is quite smooth and getting combos to this is similar to say no fear. The risk is that you really get the ball moving and may lose it when you miss. There were no cheap drains like acdc. The game is so smooth. I think layout polish wise, this is Steve Ritchie's best work. I can't stress enough how easy and fun it is to flow the shots. There are several very satisfying shots here.

- Playfield is not as ugly as I had expected. Artwork wise, it's the worst looking stern playfield since acdc, but its nothing like say wheel of fortune. It actually is ok.

- The sounds are great. Very satisfying. With a shaker and sub, experience is good. Shaker could be better utilized. Unfortunately, the call out variety is lacking. I heard the same call outs multiple times per game. Sounded like direct movie quotes. I didn't hear any dubs or actor hired unique recordings here. There's no sound directing you like in sone games. But it's pretty obvious what to shoot at.

- ball times were somewhat long. I may need to open the outlanes more. But the game definitely does not punish you for missing shots as much as other Ritchie games. It could also be that its so easy to make the shots that I wasn't missing as much as normal.

- software feels solid but there doesn't feel like much to do. They need to get more added or the game will not be interesting enough for the long haul in spite of the awesome shot layout. Some good foundation here though. I was able to stack some multiballs and it seems they draining the ball doesn't end your current mission, pretty neat. I didn't see how you can do 3 sub modes per mission. It seems like only the 6 missions and multiballs are implemented. Oh and a decent combo system.

- The lock down fire button is under used. It seems to just randomly start flashing and I get to take a shot at the ship.

- The color changing inserts are great. The rest of the game just uses cointaker doubles and all white in GI. The game is bright for a stock game thanks to two spotlights. I added a lot more lighting to even out the lighting in a dark room. But it's way better then most out of the box. I found the spinner flasher blinding and replaced it with a different style. The orange ship flasher was dull. Replaced with red and now the ship glows like its on fire when it flashes. Looks awesome. The pro LEDs are mostly replaceable 555 bulbs. The game doesn't ghost with regular LEDs. So no need for non ghosting replacement bulbs. I replaced a lot of the cool white inserts with color matches with some pinball bulbs LEDs (blue on blue and red on red mainly). At least you can do this on the pro.

- The ship and ship movement is pretty good. It seems to move a lot more than attack from mars.

- I like the speaker panel. It looks nice in person. The new hinge bolts are a hassle. It took a long time to get the left one lines up to go in. Bolts are in goodie bag. The speaker panel folds out way nicer than older games and is easy to put back without too much fiddling.

I said I wouldn't get an LE earlier at $8k. But this played so well that I ordered an LE.

Edit: sold my tricked out pro for $5200. I get to keep it in my possession until the LE arrives. Bringing the game for everyone to play to the Portland gong show this weekend.

#2 10 years ago

Really appreciate the review, I am anxious, my pro will be here soon I hope. Just waiting to hear back from Stern so I cans set up the freight truck.

I may end up going premium for my collection we will see

#3 10 years ago

Thank you so much for your write up this will hopefully be my first NIB. Your review is very helpful.

#4 10 years ago

Nice review and glad to see more people are starting to see the light. I really only have one complaint and that is the cartoonish characters on DMD. I am really hoping that Steve and programmers will have time to correct or change? Other than that the pro speaker still looks off to me, probably because it is new and change is hard to accept. I do think the speaker panel on LE is badass and makes the game pop. Super stoked for LE and the countdown is on like donkey kong.

#5 10 years ago

Great review Markmon. Would like to see some detail on your additional lighting.

#6 10 years ago

Like I've been saying... LE or Bust!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I said I wouldn't get an LE earlier at $8k. But this played so well that I ordered an LE.

It's exciting how many times we've heard this from people who have played the Pro.

Compared to past releases that under performed (TAV), we're not hearing about mechanical problems. And design-wise it seems top flight. So really it is all on software now.

#8 10 years ago

Wow, impressive 1st look at the game. Does anyone know if the LE's will be out for Expo?

#9 10 years ago

Yeah but Markmon, you really like AVLE too. You must not know what you're talking about.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yeah but Markmon, you really like AVLE too. You must not know what you're talking about.

Its not just Markmon... its been a constant theme for those that have played the Pro.

#11 10 years ago

I'm glad to hear this

#12 10 years ago

seems like a fair non-biased write up. thanks for taking the effort. although, a detailed video review would of been great.

#13 10 years ago

nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

#14 10 years ago

Everything mentioned above is true, i played the pro nearly 2 weeks ago and goingnto order the premium over getting a Metallica

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So I got my Star Trek pro today. My impressions:
- The upper flipper ramp shot is quite smooth and getting combos to this is similar to say

Hitting the ramp is smooth, but feeding it back to the flipper can sometimes be clunky and the ball can be drifting away from the upper flipper due to hitting the playfield. Certainly not Dr.Who Smooth

- The sounds are great. Very satisfying. With a shaker and sub, experience is good. Shaker could be better utilized. Unfortunately, the call out variety is lacking. I heard the same call outs multiple times per game. Sounded like direct movie quotes. I didn't hear any dubs or actor hired unique recordings here. There's no sound directing you like in sone games. But it's pretty obvious what to shoot at.

Personally, I found the sounds very meh. I could swear I heard a few Star Wars sounds (left ramp sometimes sounds like an X-wing ramp on Sw Trilogy) and the sounds from hitting the jackpots or the center target sound way to much like a digitized version of the Inception "BRRRRRRRAAAAAWWWWRWRRRMRMR" you hear in all the movies trailers today.

If I heard "YOU DARE SHAKE THE KLINGON EMPIRE" one more time.....

- software feels solid but there doesn't feel like much to do. They need to get more added or the game will not be interesting enough for the long haul in spite of the awesome shot layout. Some good foundation here though. I was able to stack some multiballs and it seems they draining the ball doesn't end your current mission, pretty neat. I didn't see how you can do 3 sub modes per mission. It seems like only the 6 missions and multiballs are implemented. Oh and a decent combo system.

What version did you have? The one we used at Pinwars this past weekend was riddled with bugs. Vengeance multiball would end sometimes if the ball was still up in the lock area, sometimes icons from the support menu would show on the screen and a few other glitches.

The game was barely above WOF in terms of being complete. The modes seem to do nothing interesting, the mission multiball just ended after 10 shot, no captains chair, etc etc.

- The lock down fire button is under used. It seems to just randomly start flashing and I get to take a shot at the ship.

Shoot the right orange targets to light the button.

Overall, it wasn't a bad game shows alot of potential, but there is no way I am purchasing this without seeing it more complete. Right now, it's better to time out modes to get to Super Spinner/Ramps/Pops and Mission mb than to actually play them.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Can't wait for my LE to show up. Thanks for the write up.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks for the review. After the initial pics I was down on the game but after looking at it more and hearing positive feedback I am really excited to try it out.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Overall, it wasn't a bad game shows alot of potential, but there is no way I am purchasing this without seeing it more complete.

THAT is the big question. Can they bring home the software. It is a fun shooter. I liked the game right from the first play. But the software really was lacking. And really, as I took longer to complete a mode was the game making it easier by giving me more and more available shots to complete the mode? But as we all know, it is just beta code with no real meat yet. If they don't update it to something great, I won't buy it. And if they do, I will buy it. It is that simple. I really liked the game, but I'm not going to be the guy with TF or XM waiting for decent code. Now I want it before I buy.

Quoted from Zaxxis:

Right now, it's better to time out modes to get to Super Spinner/Ramps/Pops and Mission mb than to actually play them.

And that I disagree with. The missions are going to be the main point of the game. Timing them out just removes most of what the game will be. Sure, that may yield a better score than playing modes, but it takes all the fun out of it.

#19 10 years ago

Nice write up.

I've seen two different pros now and agree with your comments, especially on the DMD and cartoonish dots. I absolutely HATE the red (the LE screams for a blue DMD) and the cartoon dots cheapen the look of the game more than any of the artwork for me.

Not worried about the software based on some recent comments by Steve Ritchie.

#20 10 years ago

I just played some ST and it gave me a serious headache.

Seriously F those 5-LED flashers ... What nonsense.
I must be getting too old.

#21 10 years ago

Haven't played it yet, but based on the videos and playing recent tables I really like the cartoon animations. At least you can see what's going on (hated animations on our SM).

Unless they go with an LCD, cartoon animations are the best use of a dot matrix screen (unfortunately).

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And that I disagree with. The missions are going to be the main point of the game. Timing them out just removes most of what the game will be. Sure, that may yield a better score than playing modes, but it takes all the fun out of it.

And that was my point, something will need to be done to make the modes worth it. Currently, if I am 1 mode away from lighting 1mil super ramps, that mode is going to be timed out.

#23 10 years ago

I played ST pro for the first time last night. The ramps do flow like butter. Very good in that department. The left most lock shot is quite challenging. Repeating the Warp Ramp loop is a problem. When you shoot the left orbit it delivers at a decent speed to the upper flipper. Hit the warp ramp and it loops even faster back to the upper flipper. Hit the Warp ramp a second time and the ball screams around the loop so fast that it bounces around as it comes to the upper flipper, so hitting the Warp ramp loop more than 2 times in a row is virtually impossible.

Color changing LED's look great ala ACDC. Callouts are sparse right now but the sound quality is great. We all know the software is very early, so time will tell. Overall, I was very satisfied with the game.

#24 10 years ago

Game looks ok, even though I can't stand star trek. I guess i could get over the theme, i did before. But, i'll wait for it until end of production (premium) to decide how it pans out.

i'm done rushing into buy nib until I actually play something that's close to final code and bugs are out. announced game hype is tempting because it's something new, but stern is very slow to deliver. once they got your money, they don't care.

#25 10 years ago

"The game was barely above WOF in terms of being complete. "

WOF as an example of nothing there? Just dont see what you mean or it wasnt updated to 5.0. Yes there is no wiz mode and some of the bonus scoring is flawed but it has a real skill shot with complete rules, 7 distinct modes with with complete rules utilizing the wheel toy, solving puzzles with complete rules including risk/reward strategy and depth, two MB with complete rules and 2x and 4x scoring features complete, a mystery that is in fact a mystery, super pops, loops, and theme specific extra ball nuance with free spin at the lower pf. All of what is there is amazingly creative and takes what would otherwise be a dud into a true "players" paradise.

Everyone is always crying for outside of the box thinking and something new and in the same breath dismissing one that is as incomplete. It might not be finished but it is far from a shell of a game.

Pat Sajak

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

"The game was barely above WOF in terms of being complete. "
WOF as an example of nothing there? Just dont see what you mean or it wasnt updated to 5.0. Yes there is no wiz mode and some of the bonus scoring is flawed but it has a real skill shot with complete rules, 7 distinct modes with with complete rules utilizing the wheel toy, solving puzzles with complete rules including risk/reward strategy and depth, two MB with complete rules and 2x and 4x scoring features complete, a mystery that is in fact a mystery, super pops, loops, and theme specific extra ball nuance with free spin at the lower pf. All of what is there is amazingly creative and takes what would otherwise be a dud into a true "players" paradise.
Everyone is always crying for outside of the box thinking and something new and in the same breath dismissing one that is as incomplete. It might not be finished but it is far from a shell of a game.
Pat Sajak

That is a game I regret selling to be honest with you. I think WOF is an awesome game. That wheel toy was one of Stern's best toys ever.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Hitting the ramp is smooth, but feeding it back to the flipper can sometimes be clunky and the ball can be drifting away from the upper flipper due to hitting the playfield. Certainly not Dr.Who Smooth

This is a problem and I saw the same thing on the Pro here. From other responses, looks like it is an issue on other machines as well.

For me, the game flowed nice, but was really bland. Modes, shots and scoring, basically all the same. It was fun, like most pins are for me...and it has potential, but it's nothing special at this point and certainly not something I would spend big $$$ on. Hopefully there is a big code update before the launch parties start. We'll see where the code goes and what the LE features actually look like and do, but I can't see how they would make this an $8,000+ game.

#28 10 years ago

I am waiting until code is way down the line. Can't gamble anymore as code is everything and who knows how it will turn out?

When/if they finish Metallica, that will be a vote of confidence that ST will be done as well.

#29 10 years ago

I don't love avle but I don't hate it. It's next on my chopping block.

Quoted from movingpictures:

I just played some ST and it gave me a serious headache.
Seriously F those 5-LED flashers ... What nonsense.
I must be getting too old.

My lighting changes had a side effect of solving this

Quoted from Zaxxis:

It comes off a ramp and bounces down but for me by the time it gets to the flipper its entirely settled and feels very smooth. It's way faster than dr who. Looping the shot gets progressively more difficult due to the speed not due to a design issue. At least this is my initial take.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Nice review and glad to see more people are starting to see the light. I really only have one complaint and that is the cartoonish characters on DMD. I am really hoping that Steve and programmers will have time to correct or change?

Every DMD game has "cartoonish" characters on the DMD, except for when Stern started to rip movie footage, which usually looks awful...it won't be changed - this is the direction that's been decided on. Even with overwhelming complaints about Beast's voice in X-Men & fake Optimus Prime in Transformers - they never got changed.

#31 10 years ago

Every DMD game has "cartoonish" characters on the DMD, except for when Stern started to rip movie footage, which usually looks awful...it won't be changed - this is the direction that's been decided on. Even with overwhelming complaints about Beast's voice in X-Men & fake Optimus Prime in Transformers - they never got changed.

Alice Eve looks good in dots. Its like 10p resolution....

ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpgScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't blame you. It would have been the first on my chopping block.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I added a lot more lighting to even out the lighting in a dark room. But it's way better then most out of the box. I found the spinner flasher blinding and replaced it with a different style. The orange ship flasher was dull. Replaced with red and now the ship glows like its on fire when it flashes. Looks awesome. The pro LEDs are mostly replaceable 555 bulbs. The game doesn't ghost with regular LEDs. So no need for non ghosting replacement bulbs. I replaced a lot of the cool white inserts with color matches with some pinball bulbs LEDs (blue on blue and red on red mainly). At least you can do this on the pro.

So does that mean your company PinballBulbs will be coming out with another kick a$$ LED kit for Star Trek??

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nice to see a convert. Possibly the first of many. If I recall correctly, you ripped into the LE pretty good didn't you? To see you change your mind after buying the pro, based on early code no less, says a lot about how much you like the pin.

Thanks for the review Mark.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Generally I would agree with you here but I'd rather have a bad looking rip than the two stick figures continually running. I bet they will be adding detail and more dots so I hope they can make them much better than they are now

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nice to see a convert. Possibly the first of many. If I recall correctly, you ripped into the LE pretty good didn't you? To see you change your mind after buying the pro, based on early code no less, says a lot about how much you like the pin.
Thanks for the review Mark.

I don't know how long you have been but............WELCOME BACK ROB!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Have you forgotten about 10i resolution?

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

LOL...OK, well - bad art is bad art, even in dots.

#39 10 years ago

"seems like a fair non-biased write up. thanks for taking the effort"

Would love to see someone buy a pin, open it in thier house and say, 'ok, this thing is a pos. Who wants to buy it ASAP? Lmao.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

"seems like a fair non-biased write up. thanks for taking the effort"
Would love to see someone buy a pin, open it in thier house and say, 'ok, this thing is a pos. Who wants to buy it ASAP? Lmao.

Actually a couple of us in SoCal did that with our XMLE's.

But anyway, it's one thing to give a positive review on a pin that you just bought: it's quite another to say that you like it so much that you decided to buy the LE version, especially when you made posts earlier saying that you wouldn't do so.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I was being sarcastic, because I love AVLE. And frankly, your numerous posts on the game - especially early on, indicate that you like it a lot too...maybe you've changed your mind. So is ST better than AVLE?

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Actually a couple of us in SoCal did that with our XMLE's.
But anyway, it's one thing to give a positive review on a pin that you just bought: it's quite another to say that you like it so much that you decided to buy the LE version, especially when you made posts earlier saying that you wouldn't do so.

You guys did that with your XMLE's? Really? Too funny.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't know how long you have been but............WELCOME BACK ROB!

Yes welcome back RobT. Glad to see you chiming in these crazy ST threads. Are you getting a LE?

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

You guys did that with your XMLE's? Really? Too funny.

(sing slim shady style) Guess who's back back again RobT back tell a friend, guess who's back, guess who's back.........

#45 10 years ago

One comment, one time, and truly meant with positive wishes for all you ST buyers...

Good luck with your purchase and I hope they write code to match the enthusiasm for the design, mechanics, and feel that everyone is currently so positive about.

#46 10 years ago

I was being sarcastic, because I love AVLE. And frankly, your numerous posts on the game - especially early on, indicate that you like it a lot too...maybe you've changed your mind. So is ST better than AVLE?

It seems like if I play avengers, I end up playing it for 40 minutes per game. It sort of feelsike too much of a chore to play because of that. There are some great aspects to the game. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

#47 10 years ago

So does that mean your company PinballBulbs will be coming out with another kick a$$ LED kit for Star Trek??

There is a kit for Star Trek. Unfortunately, it looks pretty good out of the box so many people won't see the need. It's basically a cointaker light kit stock. This will convert it to a pinballbulbs style kit.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The pictures really don't do this justice. The photo looks purple and blue bombed and pasty. In real life it's not and instead has an awesome glow. The camera just can't capture this. The evenness of the lighting helps eliminate the seizure effect from the stock cointaker lighting. We also replace a couple flashers that were poorly chosen and a few insert lights ( reds under red, blue under blue ) to help deepen the colors. As I said, the stock really wasn't bad. But I've already had some compliments from locals that saw this finished. The pictures are taken in pitch dark.

#48 10 years ago

I got my pro a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying it. Nice job, Mr. Ritchie....it's exceeded my expectations.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There is a kit for Star Trek. Unfortunately, it looks pretty good out of the box so many people won't see the need. It's basically a cointaker light kit stock. This will convert it to a pinballbulbs style kit.

The pictures really don't do this justice. The photo looks purple and blue bombed and pasty. In real life it's not and instead has an awesome glow. The camera just can't capture this. The evenness of the lighting helps eliminate the seizure effect from the stock cointaker lighting. We also replace a couple flashers that were poorly chosen and a few insert lights ( reds under red, blue under blue ) to help deepen the colors. As I said, the stock really wasn't bad. But I've already had some compliments from locals that saw this finished. The pictures are taken in pitch dark.

WOW! If it is a Cointaker kit on the left side pic and a PinballBulbs on the right side, I would take the pinballBulbs kit any day of the week! It looks way better then the one on the left.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Yes welcome back RobT. Glad to see you chiming in these crazy ST threads. Are you getting a LE?

Thanks, and yes, I've been on board for a STLE from the start, despite some early reservations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
4,849 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carson City, NV
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-arrived-impressions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.