(Topic ID: 188345)

Star Trek and Walking Dead (Pro/Premium Dilemma)

By kid_ego

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kid_ego
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What combo would you buy?”

• TWD Pro and ST Premium 19 votes
    20%
  • TWD Premium and ST Pro 43 votes
    45%
  • Save some cash. Get both as Pros! 34 votes
    35%

(96 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stle (resized).jpg
tron3 (resized).jpg
tron2 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm on the verge of buying a TWD and a ST.

I want one of them to be a Pro and one to be a Premium, but I keep going back and forth on which one to get as a Pro and which one to get as a Premium.

I've read a ton of threads on pros/cons to each version; here, I just wanted to post a poll and get folks quick take on it.

Added a choice for both as Pros, since that's still an option I've contemplated. (Didn't include Premium/Premium because I just don't see myself paying the premium for two premiums.)

#2 6 years ago

I don't see any added value in St premium personally.

#3 6 years ago

I would get TWD premium and ST pro as TWD premium has extra gameplay features that actually interact with the ball in more interesting ways then ST's premium features.

With ST premium the only extra that really interacts with the ball is the kickback, which is already simulated in the pro. With TWD premium you get the extra magnet, moving ramp with bash toy, the crossbow toy and lockdown bar button.

#4 6 years ago

ST Pro cabinet decals have the movie actors on it so changing to the Aurich alternate translite, you'd still have the decals with the actors. ST Premium has just the Enterprise on the decals and with the alternate translite you'd have an actor free machine. If that is important to you.

#5 6 years ago

I've played all 4.
Star trek premium is gorgeous to look at however the gameplay is identical to the pro and personally I feel that the pro has better flow and cabinet artwork but if money is no object premium all the way.
Onto walking dead the pro is a more difficult game due to the lack of walker bomb which I feel creates more tension and gives the player a more rewarding experience also the pro has better flow (no crossbow, no extra bash toy on the bicycle girl ramp , the bicycle girl ramp is not as steep which means hitting it is easier), the only thing I miss on the premium is the lightshow and the second magnet for well walker thats it which I don't think its worth the extra £2k.

If I were you go both pros and save the cash for another game because 3 pins is always better than 2 or go star trek premium and walking dead pro

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I've played all 4.
Star trek premium is gorgeous to look at however the gameplay is identical to the pro and personally I feel that the pro has better flow and cabinet artwork but if money is no object premium all the way.
Onto walking dead the pro is a more difficult game due to the lack of walker bomb which I feel creates more tension and gives the player a more rewarding experience also the pro has better flow (no crossbow, no extra bash toy on the bicycle girl ramp , the bicycle girl ramp is not as steep which means hitting it is easier), the only thing I miss on the premium is the lightshow and the second magnet for well walker thats it which I don't think its worth the extra £2k.
If I were you go both pros and save the cash for another game because 3 pins is always better than 2 or go star trek premium and walking dead pro

Agree 100%

#7 6 years ago

I feel that the well walker Magnet in TWD Premium, along with the Bombs, offsets the flow, which I agree is better on a Pro.

Where most people feel the Cross bow is uneventful, Ive increased the timer dramatically, so that if I miss, I can get 2 flipper shots to make. Sure the mech isnt even needed for that, but at default, it doesnt do much unless every shot is dead on perfect.

The well walker magnet changes the gameplay to the targets, and in general, the ball movement in the middle of the playfield. Some like this, others dont.

If you are not focusing on artwork, id recommend a few games on a Pro and Premium in TWD, and see if the well walker magnet excites/deters you. I havent had a friend visit and play and not comment on the difference, strictly because of the extra magnet.

Everything else, respectfully, I agree with the others.

Should be an easy decision.....you might actually end up with 2 Pros!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I feel that the well walker Magnet in TWD Premium, along with the Bombs, offsets the flow, which I agree is better on a Pro.
Where most people feel the Cross bow is uneventful, Ive increased the timer dramatically, so that if I miss, I can get 2 flipper shots to make. Sure the mech isnt even needed for that, but at default, it doesnt do much unless every shot is dead on perfect.
The well walker magnet changes the gameplay to the targets, and in general, the ball movement in the middle of the playfield. Some like this, others dont.
If you are not focusing on artwork, id recommend a few games on a Pro and Premium in TWD, and see if the well walker magnet excites/deters you. I havent had a friend visit and play and not comment on the difference, strictly because of the extra magnet.
Everything else, respectfully, I agree with the others.
Should be an easy decision.....you might actually end up with 2 Pros!

The artwork on TWD Premium absolutely kills the artwork on the Pro model. As far as comparing the two games I think I like my Pro about as good really as the Premium. They are both amazing games either way.

#9 6 years ago

I just had to make the decision of pro or premium TWD. The premium in my opinion is the better game with ease but the pro is badass also. The extra lightshow, extra magnet, fishtank, crossbow, fire button, and the raising ramp with extra bash toy is what made me buy the premium over the pro. Surprisingly my left ramp feels just like the pros left ramp right out of the box.

Startrek pro or Premium debate is alittle different and more difficult decision for me. The premium is a much much better looking machine with its full color changing led playfield, red powder coating, and extra little addons on game. Id buy a Pro startrek and be happy with it but i prefer the premium if i ever do buy one i believe.

On a side note that has nothing to do with ST or TWD but adds to the pro vs premium debate. I owned a GB pro and played a premium a few times when they first came out last year. The premium played like crap and i felt and advised the pro was better....i was WRONG! Played a new premium GB at pinfest yesterday and it blew away the Pro! So only Pro i recommend anymore really over a Premium is GOT.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I just had to make the decision of pro or premium TWD. The premium in my opinion is the better game with ease but the pro is badass also. The extra lightshow, extra magnet, fishtank, crossbow, fire button, and the raising ramp with extra bash toy is what made me buy the premium over the pro. Surprisingly my left ramp feels just like the pros left ramp right out of the box.
Startrek pro or Premium debate is alittle different and more difficult decision for me. The premium is a much much better looking machine with its full color changing led playfield, red powder coating, and extra little addons on game. Id buy a Pro startrek and be happy with it but i prefer the premium if i ever do buy one i believe.
On a side note that has nothing to do with ST or TWD but adds to the pro vs premium debate. I owned a GB pro and played a premium a few times when they first came out last year. The premium played like crap and i felt and advised the pro was better....i was WRONG! Played a new premium GB at pinfest yesterday and it blew away the Pro! So only Pro i recommend anymore really over a Premium is GOT.

On GB the premium model really stands out from the pro more than most games do. Almost all pro models are fairly close in my opinion to the premiums. ST, TWD, GOT, AS are all very good values in the Pro model. On the GB however, once I played the Premium I knew thaThat I had to spend the extra money for it.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

On GB the premium model really stands out from the pro more than most games do. Almost all pro models are fairly close in my opinion to the premiums. ST, TWD, GOT, AS are all very good values in the Pro model. On the GB however, once I played the Premium I knew thaThat I had to spend the extra money for it.

My initial issues with premiums was it just felt slower overall without the saucer on right side. I also think the premium i played was setup poorly now that i played a great playing one. The magnaslings didnt do anything(im sure there cool when activated) but the rest of the extras just felt so much better then the Pro. Played a Xmen Pro yesterday also and it felt so much smoother gameplay wise then the Xmen LE i had here.

#12 6 years ago

Love my ST pro and hope to have a TWD pro next to it at some point. No regrets or desire to upgrade.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Love my ST pro and hope to have a TWD pro next to it at some point. No regrets or desire to upgrade.

Star Trek Pro is a fantastic game. I played one not too long ago and absolutely loved it.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks so much for the input, everyone!

Right now I'm leaning toward ST Pro and TWD Prem, but that could change to both as Pros if I keep thinking about it.

Wish the STs were still in production, so I could get as good a deal on them as I can the TWDs.

Good problem to have to wrestle with though.

#15 6 years ago

I think pro is acceptable for both, I own STLE and TWD pro.

I got STLE after having played the pro, it didn't have anything to do with me not liking the pro, I fell in love with the color changing insert lights, the ramp light is nice, the laser is nice the LE has color armor etched with lights, head emblems and metal speaker grill. It's all just fluff, but I was saying on another thread, take Tron pro and look at it with stock arcade cabinet or look at the arcade mod.

This is not even funny the Tron arcade mode is sick and I would not like Tron with the stock arcade. This is just bling, but it adds up.

IMO the STLE adds bling such as warp ramp lights, etched and lighted side rails, full color changing inserts, laser and much of that stuff can not be added at all to a pro. So it'd be like if you have Tron but were never able to upgrade to the arcade or the ramp lights.

Tron is a $4600 (my price) but I added $1600 to make it my price $6000 color DMD, ramp lights, LEDs, arcade etc...

I would say all that $1600 is bling and that's ok, I am comfortable with spending that on bling and thats what I view the difference between ST pro an STLE/premium.

Price for bling is ok but not necessary. But when I'm spending near $5K for a pin the next $1600 is what worth it for me.

Bling.
stle (resized).jpgstle (resized).jpg
tron2 (resized).jpgtron2 (resized).jpg
tron3 (resized).jpgtron3 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

As far as TWD pro I got that for a trade of XMLE.

I like the LE art the best.

I played TWD premium a few times and pro a few times before I got my pro.

On the TWD premiums I played, I did not like the left ramp one bit. One game the ball would jump off the left ramp on a clean hit. Maybe it was not set up too well, but it left a bad impression. Another one I hit the left ramp off center and it would rattle and didn't feel smooth at all.

I could live without the Woodbury drop target, I thought the crossbow was meh, I didn't have a great impression of the extra magnet one way or the other. I bet the Walker Bombs are cool but since I have never grown used to them, I can live without them.

In spite of the premium having better lighting effect, I think the pro does a very good job with the lighting within it's limits.

Overall, I could probably live with either pro or premium but the left ramp (I feel) is worse on the premium. Maybe that can be fixed and maybe some people don't mind the left ramp. But to me the pro ramp is smooth and doesn't wobble or rattle one bit, while the premiums I played did.

#17 6 years ago

I say pros on both cause I'm poor

but if you need to have a prem of one get the TWD cause the ST offers pretty much nothing for the money

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

ST offers pretty much nothing for the money

not true, ST offers a lot of bling.

you say it offers nothing for the money, would you call this nothing?:

over 60 color changing insert lights
warp ramp light
laser light effect
up kicker from scoop
Vengeance ship that crashes into the PF instead of just shaking
asteroid lights
PF supports and normal lockdown bar

You can say those thing are bling or can be added later like the PF support but they are not nothing.

People can/do pay $400+ for a Color DMD or for ramp lights on Tron. Everything costs something, it's not like anyone would rather not have 60+ color changing inserts like on ST premium it's that some people may not want to pay money for them. It's not nothing, it's something.

#19 6 years ago

I've owned both, STLE & TWD PREM.

The light show, lasers, double scoring apron, and flow is so immersive, so theme driven, I would never get a ST PRO. It's just so bland comparatively.

TWD PREM: walker bombs are overrated and cause marathon games in horde. Xbow is a pain in the ass and kills flow. Left ramp is a pain in the ass and there's no need for yet another bash toy when there's already two giant bash toys. I've played 2 HUO TWDPREMS and 1 HUO TWDLE; and I've played 4 different location TWD PROs. Every pro I've played (these are on location too mind you) have flowed better and the left ramp has always felt better than the HUO PREM/LEs I've played. Borg is so good in his designs that nearly every shot feels great. TWD isn't the best flow fest game, but the shots feel great. So playing the pro gives back some of that missing flow and that BG ramp just kills it more. So if you like poor flowing, uncontrollable frustrating style games, by all means get the PREM.

For those reasons; my vote is STPREM & TWD PRO.

#20 6 years ago

I've owned all four.
Get ST pro and TWD premium.
(Not in response to you eskay, haha. Posted at same time)

All things missing from TWD Pro are things that interact with the ball.
Things missing from ST pro do not interact with the ball.
That's why TWD pro feels gimped and why ST pro gives the full gameplay equivalent of the premium.

#21 6 years ago

Walking dead pro is better then premium....if money no issue then star trek le.....if not I would go with both pros and save $$$$....

#22 6 years ago

Go pro on each.... And save the money for the next big thing...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Star Trek Pro is a fantastic game. I played one not too long ago and absolutely loved it.

Its even better with the vengence light ring mod, movie score soundtrack code and a shaker motor. If only I can get a hold of TWD it seems no one is selling them used here and I don't want to shill out £6k ($7789) for a nib pro. First world problems

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I've owned all four.
That's why TWD pro feels gimped and why ST pro gives the full gameplay equivalent of the premium.

Many comments in this thread are purely personal opinion. Yours actually makes perfect sense. I agree 100% and bought TWD Prem & ST Pro.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I've owned all four.

No prob bud. I guess I like gimped games they're just more fun when you don't get frustrated by the clunk factory. Both versions are great; I just prefer flow over toys. I think the OP needs to decide what kind of games he's looking for. If it's flow, immersiveness and speed; then go STLE + TWD PRO. If it's stop n go and having toys that interact with the ball (even if it's for the worse ) it's ST PRO + TWD PREM.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No prob bud. I guess I like gimped games they're just more fun when you don't get frustrated by the clunk factory. Both versions are great; I just prefer flow over toys. I think the OP needs to decide what kind of games he's looking for. If it's flow, immersiveness and speed; then go STLE + TWD PRO. If it's stop n go and having toys that interact with the ball (even if it's for the worse ) it's ST PRO + TWD PREM.

Or if it's flow and a few more $$$ in my pocket, maybe it's ST PRO and TWD PRO.

Cause I do like me some flow and more money left for other things.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

not true, ST offers a lot of bling.
you say it offers nothing for the money, would you call this nothing?:
over 60 color changing insert lights
warp ramp light
laser light effect
up kicker from scoop
Vengeance ship that crashes into the PF instead of just shaking
asteroid lights
PF supports and normal lockdown bar
You can say those thing are bling or can be added later like the PF support but they are not nothing.
People can/do pay $400+ for a Color DMD or for ramp lights on Tron. Everything costs something, it's not like anyone would rather not have 60+ color changing inserts like on ST premium it's that some people may not want to pay money for them. It's not nothing, it's something.

and wireforms not plastic

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't see any added value in St premium personally.

You must not be a fan of lightshows then. The light show on the ST premium is one of the best in pinball easily.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

it's not like anyone would rather not have 60+ color changing inserts like on ST premium it's that some people may not want to pay money for them

Actually, on ST Premium the color changing lights don't look as good IMO as the Pro inserts because the insert plastics are all clear. The colors aren't as vibrant as they are on the Pro. So it just all depends on your perspective.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Or if it's flow and a few more $$$ in my pocket, maybe it's ST PRO and TWD PRO.
Cause I do like me some flow and more money left for other things.

This. Go Pro on both and then spend the extra on some nice mods like shakers, color DMD, upgraded speakers, etc.

#31 6 years ago

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is a different thread so here goes...

TWD Premium is much better than the Pro - but the left ramp isn't as smooth by default.
This is easily fixed with the ramp flap extension - which then makes the Premium a no brainer better choice, except for the consideration of the higher price of course.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Actually, on ST Premium the color changing lights don't look as good IMO as the Pro inserts because the insert plastics are all clear. The colors aren't as vibrant as they are on the Pro. So it just all depends on your perspective.

I agree with you there but we are in a minority. ST prem light show is pretty good but I just like the traditional inserts that are the same color lit or not. I also like the plastic ramps for whatever reason.

#33 6 years ago

I kind of think all 4 pins are great.

I'm glad to own both, don't see me selling either one anytime soon.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I agree with you there but we are in a minority. ST prem light show is pretty good but I just like the traditional inserts that are the same color lit or not. I also like the plastic ramps for whatever reason.

When color inserts are just used like skittles like they are in missions, it's not the best. It's kind of why I could live without GOTLE & AC/DC PREM light shows too. But when programmers use the color changing in subtle ways , that's when it gives it a more memorable exoerience. That said, where the light show shines on ST is when you get a bronze medal and the whole pf goes bronze for a second, or silver, or gold for the gold medal. That's a bitchin effect. Plus, the apron helps to remind what mode you're in during a mb; and it's cool for double scoring too. That plus the lasers in Klingon mb and the warp chase lights and side rails (for LE), is just a very cool immersive ST experience.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

When color inserts are just used like skittles like they are in missions, it's not the best. It's kind of why I could live without GOTLE & AC/DC PREM light shows too. But when programmers use the color changing in subtle ways , that's when it gives it a more memorable exoerience. That said, where the light show shines on ST is when you get a bronze medal and the whole pf goes bronze for a second, or silver, or gold for the gold medal. That's a bitchin effect. Plus, the apron helps to remind what mode you're in during a mb; and it's cool for double scoring too. That plus the lasers in Klingon mb and the warp chase lights and side rails (for LE), is just a very cool immersive ST experience.

I didn't know the premium flashed medal colors. I've played them before but don't recall seeing that. Pretty cool. Pro has a cool effect where it just blinds you with flashers when you get a medal lol.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I didn't know the premium flashed medal colors. I've played them before but don't recall seeing that. Pretty cool. Pro has a cool effect where it just blinds you with flashers when you get a medal lol.

Yea, it's a really cool effect. But yea, like the pro, it's a blinding effect. But like TWD PREM and GOT, I got used to it after some play and welcome those kinds of effects now that I haven't had any seizures lol.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea, it's a really cool effect. But yea, like the pro, it's a blinding effect. But like TWD PREM and GOT, I got used to it after some play and welcome those kinds of effects now that I haven't had any seizures lol.

The one thing about TWD pro I hate is it has way too many white lights from the factory but that is easily fixed by putting some colored LED lights in various places throughout the playfield. There are plenty of pictures on this site of some pro models that people changed some of the white LED lighting to colored LED lights that look awesome that a person can get ideas from. You can literally make TWD Pro go from ugly to beautiful with just a few colored LED's and a few minutes of your time and it just changes the game completely.

#38 6 years ago

For sure save the money and get ST pro! WD is a toss up. I thought WD pro was ugly but Zmeny got one added some new leds and a few mods and it looks great! Before that I would have said premium all the way. But his looks great and has some nice flow to it!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea, it's a really cool effect. But yea, like the pro, it's a blinding effect. But like TWD PREM and GOT, I got used to it after some play and welcome those kinds of effects now that I haven't had any seizures lol.</blockquotedd>

I change all of my flashers to incandescents. A lot easier on the eyes.

2 weeks later
#40 6 years ago

To wrap up this thread (from my perspective):

I just ordered a NIB ST Pro and.........a really nice used POTC!

The ST is for me, and the POTC is for the family. I know POTC is rated lower than TWD, but I figured my kids would get a kick out of it.

I'll grab that TWD Pro in a couple months, unless Stern comes out with something else that catches my eye.

#41 6 years ago

Good choice for PotC it's not as intense as TWD, much more laid back but great for novice players easy to understand rules and some stop and go you can park the balls in the spinning disc during multiballs. But not a complete pushover for a good player either as making it to the wizard mode takes a lot some doing.

2 weeks later
#42 6 years ago

Update: After a mixup on the POTC, I've ordered a ST Pro and TWD Pro.

Just couldn't justify the $2k difference to get a TWD Premium, especially with SW being made soon.

Thanks again to everyone who provided feedback. I scanned through it again today before making my (second) final decision.

#43 6 years ago

You'll love those pins .

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You'll love those pins .

Thanks, rai!

I'm looking forward to playing them...and I used the overage I had already paid as part of the original deal to get in line on a SW Pro!

Gonna be at a high water mark from a pin perspective. I think the most I'd had previously was 5.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 24.95
7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 8.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-and-walking-dead-propremium-dilemma?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.