Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jayhawkai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 7 years ago

Historically; up until the last Star Trek movie - I've made it a point of deliberately not looking at the trailers for new star trek movies. For Into the Darkness; I made it a point of putting fingers in my ears, closing my eyes, and humming to myself when the movie trailers came on so I won't have any clue what's happening until I'm "in the moment".

STID pissed my off so bad mainly because they thought it would be cute to butcher the best Star Trek movie of all time without giving two sh1ts about destroying a legendary film. Because of that; I just haven't cared to be "surprised" at this new movie. Infact; I'm not even sure I'll go to the movie during opening weekend (usually I'm there for opening day).

This new trailer showed something that I hope isn't a lame attempt to copy the third TOS film (the search for Spock)... after watching the latest trailer; I looked at my wife today at told here I'm going to be "Screaming mad" if they destroy another Enterprise in this 3rd film ... because yeah; that was such a GREAT idea in STID... copy a key storyline feature because you can't come up with your own story.

I'm sorta venting here... but I swear to you guys if they copied yet another story line ... I will just "quit" any future JJAbrams timeline movies!

On a better note; I'm going to be leaving for Vegas in a couple of weeks... #STLV50 is starting on Aug 3rd... and the wife and I will be in the front rows for Karl Urban's stage visit. I'm planning on bring a Pro Translite for him to sign. I also think I'm going to take my STNG translite for Whoopi to sign. Should be tons of funs.

#2 7 years ago

Im a fan of the old Star Treks with Shatner, and enjoyed all the movies, except the motion picture. The reboots are fun. I thought into darkness was ok, but thought it was lame....when you saw Kahn all terminator....taking down Klingon ships.

The new film looks fun, but it totally looks like the Enterprise gets destroyed.

I will continue to support the new films.....i love seeing Kirk and Spock on the big screen again

#3 7 years ago

I don't have a good feeling about this movie, but will probably see it anyway. Looking forward to Suicide Squad though.

#4 7 years ago

Not a huge fan of these new ST movies but I keep watching them.

#5 7 years ago

I read a good review for the new Star Trek. I didn't watch Into Darkness because I didn't enjoy the first one.

I had an interesting conversation with my cousin the other day. He said he had decided to watch all of the classic Trek films, so he started with the first one. I winced and told him that was probably the worst one to start with. I can find merit in the bad ones but if he's just watching them for the first time he should watch the good ones.

#6 7 years ago

Or maybe the good *one*. Some of those original Star Trek movies were horrible. Remember the one with the whales? Gag me with a toilet brush.

Quoted from mcluvin:

Looking forward to Suicide Squad though

Yeah I was too until I saw they went for PG-13 rating. I don't think that will work. Sort of like Deadpool or Kick Ass would not have worked if they weren't R-rated.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Or maybe the good *one*. Some of those original Star Trek movies were horrible. Remember the one with the whales? Gag me with a toilet brush.

Until the new 2009 Star Trek "the one with the whales" was the highest grossing/most profitable Star Trek movie.

It's great.

#8 7 years ago

I can't stand the new Trek flicks but I saw both of them...but you can count me out on this one. Into Drakness was just so horrible I can't do it anymore...although I will give them a little credit for giving this Kirk the old kirk's horrible hair in this one...that's a nice touch.

As for the old Treks a bunch are good. I actually like Motion Picture, but it's obviously made for the 2001 crowd so it's diff'rent.
I don't get into the whole odd & evens things till later. Obivously Kahn is the best, 3 is actually really good, 4 "the one with the whales" is an all time classic. "No I'm FROM Iowa; I only work in Space."
Then Shatner stepped in to Direct 5 and that was unwatchable. Came back with a strong 6 (TWSS) after that though.

I actually watched ST: Nemisis the other day (full disclosure it was a day drunk and I had just watched Bloodsport and might have been pumped up), and it was much better than I remember it. Still no excuse for Insurrection.

#9 7 years ago

You have to remember that it's an alternate timeline. So yes, they are going to rehash the stories but change them to suit the "timeline" (AKA new franchise)

It is what it is, entertainment. and geared to the lowest common denominator.

It it original? No, but nothing in Hollywood is.
If you like ST. Accept that it's the next evolution in the franchise until the next, and the next. And the next after that etc, etc.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I actually watched ST: Nemisis the other day (full disclosure it was a day drunk and I had just watched Bloodsport and might have been pumped up), and it was much better than I remember it. Still no excuse for Insurrection.

Yeah, I never understood that hate for Nemesis. I missed it opening weekend, then heard it was horrible. Waited to rent the DVD, popped it in and said, "That wasn't bad. What was all the fuss?"

#11 7 years ago

Yeah, I really wish they'd stop destroying the ship.

Also, I was out when Khan beamed himself across the quadrant, making the ships instantly obsolete. Fucking lazy-ass JJ always taking shortcuts. God that movie sucked.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

If you like ST. Accept that it's the next evolution in the franchise until the next, and the next. And the next after that etc, etc.

The problem I have is when they evolved the series before they just added a new series onto the time line, created new and interesting characters. It was pretty cool to think of all of the history of TOS, Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager. The new movies are just a reboot even though they haphazardly connected them to the old series. That's why I've never been a big fan of the new movies.

#13 7 years ago

I don't buy the "alternate" timeline bs.
Yes; they changed "history" therefore they ARE NOT tied to anything that happened in the original timeline.
It's just LAZY to rehash old time lines. 2009 did NOT include V'ger. It did NOT have anything to do with TMP.
So that argument is just bunk. Furthermore; is they get further from the timeline change; less and less of the timeline will remain. So theoretically; there no reason for anything to be showing up as they do more movies.

It's freaking as$-o-nine for there to be *ANY* destruction of the enterprise just like Search for Spock.
There is also NO REASON for there to be a time travel to save earth and rescue the Whales in the ST4. Clearly they are ALREADY planning to timetravel in 4... because "George Kirk" makes a reappearance (or so the rumors say).

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, I really wish they'd stop destroying the ship.
Also, I was out when Khan beamed himself across the quadrant, making the ships instantly obsolete. Fucking lazy-ass JJ always taking shortcuts. God that movie sucked.

Trans-Warp beaming was established in the 2009 movie. So, I was happy to see it again, as opposed to everyone pretending it never happened. Once the Genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back in again.

Unfortunately, it seems the 3rd movie is ignoring it, rather than expanding on the benefits/problems of this tech.

#15 7 years ago

I thought the first ST reboot was sparkly, clean, slightly inventive fun, but the second one was a mess, and the third looks like a boring action film. I don't watch Star Trek for the action, dangit! I want cool sci-fi concepts and people confronting the intricacies of space ethics, not herds of CGI people running from herds of CGI space-ships while a bland main cast poses heroically and makes shallow quips. (can you tell I'm a fan of ST: The Motion Picture? lol)

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I thought the first ST reboot was sparkly, clean, slightly inventive fun, but the second one was a mess, and the third looks like a boring action film.

I think that's why they tried to hedge their bets on this one; F&F Director - written by Simon Peg.
Neither of those things did anything for me after that "Khan" sack of trash.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I thought the first ST reboot was sparkly, clean, slightly inventive fun, but the second one was a mess, and the third looks like a boring action film. I don't watch Star Trek for the action, dangit! I want cool sci-fi concepts and people confronting the intricacies of space ethics, not herds of CGI people running from herds of CGI space-ships while a bland main cast poses heroically and makes shallow quips. (can you tell I'm a fan of ST: The Motion Picture? lol)

I agree, the first reboot was amazing, although I didn't like Vulcan getting destroyed. Great cast and villain. They lost me in the second one as it looked too much like a superhero movie. I doubt I will watch the third one.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Historically; up until the last Star Trek movie - I've made it a point of deliberately not looking at the trailers for new star trek movies. For Into the Darkness; I made it a point of putting fingers in my ears, closing my eyes, and humming to myself when the movie trailers came on so I won't have any clue what's happening until I'm "in the moment".
STID pissed my off so bad mainly because they thought it would be cute to butcher the best Star Trek movie of all time without giving two sh1ts about destroying a legendary film. Because of that; I just haven't cared to be "surprised" at this new movie. Infact; I'm not even sure I'll go to the movie during opening weekend (usually I'm there for opening day).
This new trailer showed something that I hope isn't a lame attempt to copy the third TOS film (the search for Spock)... after watching the latest trailer; I looked at my wife today at told here I'm going to be "Screaming mad" if they destroy another Enterprise in this 3rd film ... because yeah; that was such a GREAT idea in STID... copy a key storyline feature because you can't come up with your own story.
I'm sorta venting here... but I swear to you guys if they copied yet another story line ... I will just "quit" any future JJAbrams timeline movies!
On a better note; I'm going to be leaving for Vegas in a couple of weeks... #STLV50 is starting on Aug 3rd... and the wife and I will be in the front rows for Karl Urban's stage visit. I'm planning on bring a Pro Translite for him to sign. I also think I'm going to take my STNG translite for Whoopi to sign. Should be tons of funs.

Did JJAbrams direct this one ? I thought he was busy copying Star wars story lines .

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Did JJAbrams direct this one ? .

Quoted from TheLaw:

F&F Director - written by Simon Peg.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Trans-Warp beaming was established in the 2009 movie.

I don't remember that. I remember them beaming to a ship that was in warp, but not across the galaxy.

Also, V'GER and The Motion Picture are in the *future* of this reboot, technically. All that shit takes place *AFTER* the series, and the reboot takes place *BEFORE* the series.

#21 7 years ago

Then that just helps prove my point... There is even MORE reason for them to NOT copy the feature films of TOS.
Destroyed Enterprise, KHAN, Whales and/or slingshotting around the sun are completely off limits.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

And it was followed by Star Trek V. Almost (?) as bad.

#23 7 years ago

Ah , ok thanks . I can't see it being any good with him directing it (but I'll at least admit there is a chance I could be proven wrong) I'll wait for it to come out on dvd and watch it then.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't remember that. I remember them beaming to a ship that was in warp, but not across the galaxy.

The Enterprise had been at warp for quite some time by the time Kirk and Scotty beamed aboard. In a sense, it was across the galaxy.

And they never put a limit on it.

That's what I would have liked to have seen fleshed out.

#25 7 years ago

So somebody is upset they are re booting one of the best TV shows ever for the hundredth time?
Wrath of Khan was only a sequel anyway. Although a great movie.
There will only be one original Star Trek ever. You people crack me up sometimes. They will keep on rehashing it just like Star Wars until the money runs out.

Don't expect too much originality trying to continue a 50 year old story.

#26 7 years ago

Just saw the new ST. It was pretty good.

#27 7 years ago

I saw it yesterday. It's the real deal.

This is the Star Trek movie you've been wanting to see for a long time.

#28 7 years ago

Went to see it last night. Enjoyed it very much. More fun and lighter than the last one. Good special effects, great dialogue.

#29 7 years ago

Saw it last night as well. Better than the second one for sure, but not fantastic. Best part was easily the Beastie Boys. Also the alien woman was cool.

I still wish they'd stop destroying the ship. Also there's really no "weight" to the story at all and I don't really have any investment in the characters. It's all flash and no substance. I guess that's the world we live in now.

#30 7 years ago

I saw it last Sunday. I saw the first one long ago and wasn't pleased and I never saw the second one, so I really had no expectations. It was enjoyable. It took a little bit to get moving. Bones and Spock together were great. I would have loved to see them more. Jayla was pretty cool. The villain was a little weak. He was pretty generic at the start and then they dumped his backstory at the end as if it was supposed to be a shock but I just shrugged instead. Overall I liked it. The movie almost felt Trek-like.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Overall I liked it. The movie almost felt Trek-like.

Yeah my buddy was telling me they have some good nods to the original series and stuff...def everyone I tsalked to is saying it's 1000% better thnn the last one.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah my buddy was telling me they have some good nods to the original series and stuff...def everyone I tsalked to is saying it's 1000% better thnn the last one.

A lot of the nods went over my head apparently. I like old Trek movies and Next Gen but I'm not really a hardcore so I missed a lot of the references.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I guess I might check it out in the theater then .

#34 7 years ago

Ok. Again I was angry... but The movie was actually "ok"... it didn't piss me off anywhere nearly as bad as the horrible movie known as Into The Darkness. I'll actually buy this movie when it comes out on 4K BluRay.

Looking forward to time-traveling Whales in the 4th installment

#35 7 years ago

Saw it Tuesday night . It was alright , but the story seemed to have some holes in it . I'll watch it again when it's out on dvd maybe I missed stuff in the theature . But yes much better than into the darkness .

#36 7 years ago

I don't know shit about Star Trek, but it was better than Suicide Squad.

#37 7 years ago

Saw it the other day and enjoyed it. Lot of good Bones/Scotty lines. Spock kind of bugged me this time around for some reason.

I'll have to see it again though. I thought Into Darkness was ok the first time around as well. It wasn't until my second viewing of it that I despised it.

Still a huge fan of the first one.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I don't know shit about Star Trek, but it was better than Suicide Squad.

Oh man that sucks.....was looking forward to suicide squad

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Oh man that sucks.....was looking forward to suicide squad

Keep your expectations low. Or rent it in a few months. And be warned: it's dark. Not grisly and grim, but physically difficult to make out what's going on due to the dim lighting. Don't worry though; plot wise, there's not much going on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-3-the-fast-and-furious and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.