Topic Stats

• 452 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Pahuffman
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 172 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1189 (resized).jpg
IMG_5490 (resized).JPG
IMG_20200103_060347[1150] (resized).jpg
IMG_20200102_110847[1145] (resized).jpg
IMG_20191120_195853[1143] (resized).jpg
20191219_131603 (resized).jpg
lite-crystals (resized).jpg
lite-scanners (resized).jpeg
STManual3 (resized).PNG
STManual1 (resized).PNG
STManual2 (resized).PNG
20191204_173001 (resized).jpg
20191202_122051 (resized).jpg
Ramp (resized).jpg
20191122_121311 (resized).jpg
20191122_121311 (resized).jpg

There are 452 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 48 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Would you like it if the Left Scoop was treated as if all games were labeled "Lite Scanners"? And if your game doesn't say "Lite Scanners" then maybe someone could come up with a Lite Scanners decal for those who wanted one.

Have switch option. Like Addams Family.

#402 47 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Let me say this... I want the text to match the pf. If it's scanners it should say scanners. If it's crystals; it should say crystals.
It would bug me to no end (now that you pointed it out) if the dmd said one thing and the PF said another.

I agree. It is annoying. Many playfields say Lite Crystals. Many playfields say Lite Scanners. If I chose one over the other than some people will be happy and some will be upset.

The manual even says it is Lite Scanners.

STManual1 (resized).PNG
STManual2 (resized).PNG
STManual3 (resized).PNG

Seems like "Lite Scanners" was the intention but some playfields got "Lite Crystals".

Quoted from Zitt:

How hard is it to code both and have an option to set which to display?

I don't want to have two different rule sets. Having a switch would drastically change the gameplay and scoring possibilities and would just be confusing.

I am still trying to figure it out.

Some sort of compromise... maybe have it behave like the manual states but have it also lite a crystal at the same time. Not sure.

#403 47 days ago

am I oversimplifying this?
I thought it was just a matter of matching the text on the PF.
How would the game rules change if it's only the text that's different?

#404 47 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

am I oversimplifying this?
I thought it was just a matter of matching the text on the PF.
How would the game rules change if it's only the text that's different?

The left scoop playfield artwork text saying “Lite Scanners” means that when you shoot that scoop, it should re-lite the Right Scoop scanner shot.

The left scoop playfield artwork text saying “Lite Crystals” means that when you shoot that scoop it should simply lite the next crystal.

Very different results. Very different strategies.

lite-scanners (resized).jpeg

lite-crystals (resized).jpg

#405 47 days ago

Obviously; I'm missing something. Unsure how the game play changes if the text on the art is different.
I'm not seeing the connection from art to code.

I'm pretty sure the machines aren't electrically different between the two art packages. So I fail to see how the code would be different. Unless you're making it different in the update based upon a specific art package.

You're in the code ... I'm not; so maybe you have a better understanding what's going on.

#406 47 days ago

O.K. how about new art that says "lite crystal or scanner"

#407 46 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Obviously; I'm missing something. Unsure how the game play changes if the text on the art is different.
I'm not seeing the connection from art to code.
I'm pretty sure the machines aren't electrically different between the two art packages. So I fail to see how the code would be different. Unless you're making it different in the update based upon a specific art package.
You're in the code ... I'm not; so maybe you have a better understanding what's going on.

Code is the same for all games... and it is written with the logic for the playfield that says "Lite Crystals".

So those that have "Lite Scanners" on their playfield have a game that doesn't match the code.

Unfortunately, the "Lite Crystals" game logic is less interesting than if it was coded purely for "Lite Scanners" game logic.

I think I'm going to try to come up with a compromise somehow. Where it won't matter what playfield you have.

Let's be honest, how often are you ever actually actively trying to shoot the Left Scoop? My guess is never... there is no compelling reason in the game as it exists today to ever shoot the Left Scoop. I am hoping to come up with a compelling reason to open up that shot.

#408 46 days ago

Is this game any fun? Thinking of getting one if one ever comes up for sale near me. Played a beat one on route once a couple years ago, but the game wasn't working right.

#409 46 days ago

I bet Data East had the code changed from lite scanner to lite crystal...
Because, the lite scanner is a two step process that slowed the game down.
kind of like the same problem that Data East Star Wars had with the Jabbas Bounty.

#410 46 days ago

My game has "lite Crystals".
I'm actually always hitting that scoop. Because I suck enough that hitting the drop targets is hard.

Something about the geometry that makes it hard to hit those drops with any accuracy. IE I can hit one usually; but not the one that's up.

#411 46 days ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Is this game any fun? Thinking of getting one if one ever comes up for sale near me. Played a beat one on route once a couple years ago, but the game wasn't working right.

I love mine!

#412 46 days ago

I found another one. During multiball after you score a jackpot, you have to shoot a ramp then the moving target to relight it, right? Mine will not allow me to combo the ramp into the center target. I have to hit a ramp, pause somehow, then shoot the moving center target to relight jackpots. Anybody else have this? That timer needs to be reduced if possible to allow for the combo and immediate jackpot relight.

Did they do this so the animation will have time to play? I'd rather have the points than the screens.

#413 45 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I found another one. During multiball after you score a jackpot, you have to shoot a ramp then the moving target to relight it, right? Mine will not allow me to combo the ramp into the center target. I have to hit a ramp, pause somehow, then shoot the moving center target to relight jackpots. Anybody else have this? That timer needs to be reduced if possible to allow for the combo and immediate jackpot relight.
Did they do this so the animation will have time to play? I'd rather have the points than the screens.

I’ll look into this. I recall fixing a similar issue with my Hook update.

#414 45 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I’ll look into this. I recall fixing a similar issue with my Hook update.

Found it! During the Jackpot video sequence, the game is letting you shoot the ramp, but is not letting you hit the Moving Target/Primary Crystal until the entire Jackpot video sequence ends. For now, just wait until that video ends before shooting the Moving Target/Primary Crystal. But my update will fix this so you don't have to wait.

#415 45 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

For now, just wait until that video ends before shooting the Moving Target/Primary Crystal. But my update will fix this so you don't have to wait.

That's what I thought! On STTNG, it just restarts the jackpot animation. I think that's probably the way to go because it introduces more scoring/excitement.

#416 42 days ago

Momentum is strong on the code update. I just changed it so Super Bumps is now on a 30 second timer (instead of active for the remainder of the ball) but the value of the pop bumpers is much higher for that limited time.

Also, during Super Bumps and Tribble Trouble, when you shoot the Right Orbit, the gate up top will not open. This means you can actually shoot the ball into the pop bumpers to maximize your points. Also, as a side benefit, this is a nice time to work on collecting the Top Lanes to increase your Bonus Multiplier.

#417 42 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Also, during Super Bumps and Tribble Trouble, when you shoot the Right Orbit, the gate up top will not open. This means you can actually shoot the ball into the pop bumpers to maximize your points.

I love this. That shot was virtually unused on my game.

I was also playing yesterday and thought it might be fun to add an "End of Line"-type combo somewhere. Like any time you shoot a ramp and it diverts to that same flipper you shot from, shoot the ramp again then combo into the scoop?

Since you're not always guaranteed to get an opportunity to cross over the ramps due to the diverter, it would be nice to have an option to shoot something.

Ramp>Same Ramp>Scoop (either side depending on combo)>3M?

Just spitballing ideas.

#418 41 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I was also playing yesterday and thought it might be fun to add an "End of Line"-type combo somewhere. Like any time you shoot a ramp and it diverts to that same flipper you shot from, shoot the ramp again then combo into the scoop?

Not possible (same flipper).
The diverter (Klingon metal symbol) on the ramp alternates the lanes physically. It's not under computer control.

#419 40 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not possible (same flipper).
The diverter (Klingon metal symbol) on the ramp alternates the lanes physically. It's not under computer control.

Oh I know. I'm just saying if the game detects a ramp shot, then an inlane switch, then another ramp shot, then the scoop, it can be done. I just don't know how difficult it would be to program that.

#420 34 days ago

Just a couple more things to add.

20191219_131603 (resized).jpg
#421 34 days ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

Just a couple more things to add.

Looking great!

#422 33 days ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

Just a couple more things to add.[quoted image]

That’s awesome great idea

#423 31 days ago

chadh

I was curious if there are any callouts that aren't used?

#424 31 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Well... I did fix it so the "Shields On" reward is more common and is 10 seconds instead of 8 seconds. I suppose I could make a silent ball save that lasts 2 seconds whenever the ball is ejected from the scoop. I don't think I ever get an STDM from the scoops. It always shoots out the ball very solidly and ends of hitting to the left of the left flipper.

Please, pretty please add the 2s ball save to the eject. Sometimes mine is fine, but sometimes it goes STDM. It annoys the hell out of me, so I don't play it as much as I'd like to play it.

#425 30 days ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

chadh
I was curious if there are any callouts that aren't used?

Yes, there are a few that I will be adding in to the game.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Please, pretty please add the 2s ball save to the eject. Sometimes mine is fine, but sometimes it goes STDM. It annoys the hell out of me, so I don't play it as much as I'd like to play it.

This is done.

#426 30 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

This is done.

Where do I send the money to get a copy?

#427 27 days ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I figured that adding a 2 second ball save to the Right Scoop Eject might not be enough time for some of you. Since I imagine the ball might eject SDTM but could possibly bounce around down there before actually entering the Outhole. What if your game takes 3 seconds to finally trigger that Outhole switch? So I have made the timer to be user adjustable. The default will be 2 seconds but you will be able to adjust it between OFF and 9 seconds.

#428 27 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I have made the timer to be user adjustable.

Doing the Lord's work.

#429 26 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Doing the Lord's work.

Wrong universe. Vader is in Star Wars.

#430 26 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Wrong universe. Vader is in Star Wars.

Perhaps he was referring to Lord Garth.

#431 22 days ago

I dragged this home, got it a for a good price, I'll start the clean up process

IMG_20191120_195853[1143] (resized).jpg
#432 22 days ago

Looks to be in fair shape. Congrats.

#433 21 days ago

just finished spraying these bad boys , hoping to add some wow, the plan is to fit them up today, the colour is violet candy with plenty of clear coat

IMG_20200102_110847[1145] (resized).jpg
#434 21 days ago
Quoted from Andy1:

just finished spraying these bad boys , hoping to add some wow, the plan is to fit them up today, the colour is violet candy with plenty of clear coat [quoted image]

Wow that looks awesome love the colour , I regret not doing my speaker panel. Are you doing the hinges , legs & coin door as well ? Can’t wait to see what they look like back on.

#435 21 days ago

terminatrix I'm thinking about going back & spraying Hinges, legs & coin door. I only had 150ml of the candy violet wanted 500ml but it was Christmas & everything was closing for the next couple of weeks but it's cleaned it up heaps, I also installed comet 2SMD LEDS throughout the machine, gives it a bit of bling

IMG_20200103_060347[1150] (resized).jpg
#436 20 days ago
Quoted from Andy1:

terminatrix I'm thinking about going back & spraying Hinges, legs & coin door. I only had 150ml of the candy violet wanted 500ml but it was Christmas & everything was closing for the next couple of weeks but it's cleaned it up heaps, I also installed comet 2SMD LEDS throughout the machine, gives it a bit of bling [quoted image]

Looks well lit & bright great work

#437 17 days ago

Here's something interesting...

IMG_5490 (resized).JPG

#438 17 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Here's something interesting...
[quoted image]

I'll say! Has to do with the ramps I assume?

#439 17 days ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

I'll say! Has to do with the ramps I assume?

Yep. It will involve the ramps.

#440 17 days ago

chadh

Was this here all along ?

#441 17 days ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

chadh
Was this here all along ?

Yes. Found it while digging through the Display ROM. It would be a shame to not integrate it into the game.

#442 17 days ago

chadh
Good Easter Egg find!

#443 14 days ago

chadh Your work has been phenomenal on polishing up the old DEs. Thank you so much! A couple of ideas on Star Trek.
The sling shots: Could they be programed to only make the photon torpedo sound instead of mixing it up with the explosions? The torpedo sound is pretty cool to hear pan back and forth thanks to the stereo sound card. There are so many explosion sounds already in the game especially with the pop bumpers.
The Collect scanner scoop on the right: The Enterprise's computer voice "working!" gets cut off.
Just for the sake of counting, the left scoop on my game says "light crystals" Keep up the great work!

#444 13 days ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

A couple of ideas on Star Trek.
The sling shots: Could they be programed to only make the photon torpedo sound instead of mixing it up with the explosions? The torpedo sound is pretty cool to hear pan back and forth thanks to the stereo sound card. There are so many explosion sounds already in the game especially with the pop bumpers.

Agreed. Consider this one done.

Quoted from Swainer80:

The Collect scanner scoop on the right: The Enterprise's computer voice "working!" gets cut off.

I will look into this one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chad

#445 13 days ago

"Transport now" also gets cut off at the start of multiball.

#446 12 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

"Transport now" also gets cut off at the start of multiball.

That one is actually a single audio clip with the voice and sound effects all in one. I think he just says "now" really quickly.

#447 10 days ago

Too bad. I wish there was a way to at least separate them. Right now it sounds like "TRANSPORT NwBRHWOING!"

Just nit picking I guess.

#448 8 days ago

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site yesterday! ChadH your work sounds amazing and I'm trying the Hammer3246 2006 ornament mod next week when it gets here. I bought my machine a few years ago and have been looking ever since to fix the cracked crystal pictured but haven't run across anything yet on any parts site that's a replacement solution...any thoughts to me help out? (Short of stealing some photons from a nuclear wessel, that is.)

IMG_1189 (resized).jpg
#449 8 days ago
Quoted from Tripletap007:

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site yesterday! ChadH your work sounds amazing and I'm trying the Hammer3246 2006 ornament mod next week when it gets here. I bought my machine a few years ago and have been looking ever since to fix the cracked crystal pictured but haven't run across anything yet on any parts site that's a replacement solution...any thoughts to me help out? (Short of stealing some photons from a nuclear wessel, that is.)

Welcome! You'll come to love Pinside quite a bit. It's a wonderful resource.

Unfortunately, that particular piece is going to be difficult to come by. It's not included in any of the reproduction plastic sets as far as I'm aware. It was a very specific mold made just for this game, so it will likely have to come from a junk machine. I doubt there are any new old stock pieces out there anywhere.

#450 8 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Welcome! You'll come to love Pinside quite a bit. It's a wonderful resource.
Unfortunately, that particular piece is going to be difficult to come by. It's not included in any of the reproduction plastic sets as far as I'm aware. It was a very specific mold made just for this game, so it will likely have to come from a junk machine. I doubt there are any new old stock pieces out there anywhere.

Aw, man...I was debating between that ST IV joke or the buy-another-entire-machine joke! Unfortunate to hear but pretty much what I expected after all the googling I've done. Thanks for the reply!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 452 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside