Topic Stats

• 599 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by vaccaripaolo
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 195 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

748341D5-3049-4C66-8F37-45834E340534 (resized).jpeg
s-l1600-1 (resized).jpg
7FE9953B-EF6D-48C6-8F0B-8FAA79DCADFD (resized).jpeg
IMG_9742 (resized).jpg
IMG_9714 (resized).jpg
IMG_9761 (resized).jpg
20200720_200442(0) (resized).jpg
1f3274d6f0dd15a1b2ad6414c749aca14e23ebe0 (resized).jpg
20200630_094622 (resized).jpg
20200627_162448 (resized).jpg
well done.gif
20200521_160518 (resized).jpg
giphy.gif
IMG_5960[1] (resized).JPG
de-star-trek (resized).jpg
788616F6-6B9A-4347-8229-7BFB7110BBEB (resized).jpeg

There are 599 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.
#351 11 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

That's all pretty normal. We're lucky any of these things work at all after all these years!
I love that MAME cab.

Thanks, I built it a few years ago.

#352 11 months ago

So I rebuilt the chaser lights today tested and installed them, I wasn't expecting them to work thinking the board was gone but they did...sort of. Lights on both sides sets 1 and 3 work great but set 2 was dim and now 2 doesn't work at all while hooked up to the pin. They do work fine if I remove them and supply 12v.

My question is can the board be partially gone or is there a deeper issue?
20191018_180336 (resized).jpg

#353 11 months ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

So I rebuilt the chaser lights today tested and installed them, I wasn't expecting them to work thinking the board was gone but they did...sort of. Lights on both sides sets 1 and 3 work great but set 2 was dim and now 2 doesn't work at all while hooked up to the pin. They do work fine if I remove them and supply 12v.

Have you checked the continuity of the wires back to the board?
Also, there is a thread specific to these lights here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chase-rope-repair-in-data-east-st-and-hook#post-5246596

#354 11 months ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

[quoted image]

Wow love the pinkish Dilithium Crystals I did the same. I have the same Enterprise ship - only the Hull has a few blinking lights & surprisingly the 2 engines don’t light up even though there Red in colour is yours the same ?

#355 11 months ago
Quoted from Terminatrix:

Wow love the pinkish Dilithium Crystals I did the same. I have the same Enterprise ship - only the Hull has a few blinking lights & surprisingly the 2 engines don’t light up even though there Red in colour is yours the same ?

Thanks, they're just the normal bulb, I removed what LEDS were in it since they over powered everything. I think my Enterprise might be the same. Was yours a Chip Carter off Amazon?

#356 11 months ago
Quoted from Torre:

Have you checked the continuity of the wires back to the board?
Also, there is a thread specific to these lights here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chase-rope-repair-in-data-east-st-and-hook#post-5246596

Just checked the grounds and they're good all the way, and I built them following the link you gave me. Perhaps I did something wrong, if nothing else I have some new IC's coming.

As a test I made a strand of just three LEDs and still only two will light.

#357 11 months ago

The board is actually pretty simple. IIRC it's a transistor array chip on the output.
As a result; it's entirely possible one of the transistors is bad in the chip.

#358 11 months ago

Heres a little demo of my Pinsound Shaker with TOS opening theme

#359 11 months ago

Pinsound custom orchestration Star Trek 4 TVH main theme

#360 11 months ago

End credits with TOS closing theme very close to finishing

#361 11 months ago

Good work. I'm not a fan of the ending credits being so long... but it's your game and I'm still impressed.

#362 11 months ago
Quoted from Terminatrix:

Heres a little demo of my Pinsound Shaker with TOS opening theme

Excellent! Nice job.

#363 11 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Good work. I'm not a fan of the ending credits being so long... but it's your game and I'm still impressed.

Thanks mate trying to keep it authentic

#364 11 months ago
Quoted from Torre:

Excellent! Nice job.

Cheers but I can’t take the credit had a computer whiz program for me

1 week later
#365 10 months ago

edit, figured it out.

#366 10 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'll send this suggestion to Chad at PinballCode, who is actively working on this game. Maybe he will implement it.
EDIT: Chad said it was one of the first things he removed. As usual with his work, this sounds like it's going to be a comprehensive code update.

I'm new to owning a machine so basically clueless, but how long does an update usually take?

#367 10 months ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

how long does an update usually take?

Honestly; however, long it takes.
Chad - I'm assuming is a hobbyist with a day job... and maybe a family.
He probably does it for fun... so; it'll take however long he wants it to take. That said; it may never be available as he may never finish it.

Seriously; keep an eye out... and if the pinball gods smile on you an update will become available one day.

#368 10 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Honestly; however, long it takes.
He probably does it for fun... so; it'll take however long he wants it to take. That said; it may never be available as he may never finish it.
Seriously; keep an eye out... and if the pinball gods smile on you an update will become available one day.

Good to know, thanks! Like I said, I'm a virgin when it comes to owing one of these so that probably won't be last dumb question I have.

#369 10 months ago

I didn't mean my comment to sound like a teacher exasperated by a challenging student.

Just being clear with the expectations - as I see them.

If you want to see how it's done... go follow applejuice 's in the RFM thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this
Honestly; he's better than Stern.

#370 10 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I didn't mean my comment to sound like a teacher exasperated by a challenging student.
Just being clear with the expectations - as I see them.
If you want to see how it's done... go follow applejuice 's in the RFM thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this
Honestly; he's better than Stern.

Oh no, sorry. It wasn't meant that way at all. I appreciate the input.

#371 10 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Yep he's just a hobbyist. I was emailing back and forth with him for several weeks at one point and then he just went cold on me. It's obviously not a priority for him at the moment.

#372 10 months ago

So I installed LEDS in the play field and everything was great but now I have a some that don't flash as well as the others. If I put an incandescent back in, it flashes fine. What could be going on?

Cheers

#373 10 months ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

So I installed LEDS in the play field and everything was great but now I have a some that don't flash as well as the others. If I put an incandescent back in, it flashes fine. What could be going on?

This happens occasionally. Try flipping them around. Also pull the little wire leads off from the bulb a millimeter or so to make sure they're making good contact with the metal in the socket.

#374 10 months ago

Hey chaps, I've been working on this machine for 3 years now and I can't wait to play it.

I am almost at the stage where everything is going back in but I'm a bit stuck!

I'm having some trouble making sense of 1 wiring connection according to schematics.

It's the red/black + yellow/vio wire that connects to 'left and right turbo bumpers' (see pic)

Can anyone help with a reference pic of wiring under the playfield at the turbo bumpers?

There's 3 lugs screwed directly into the board with a diode across 2, is this where these wires connect?

Also, how are the bumper lights wired in? Are all 3 wired into GI? For some reason only 2 seem to be.

Any help much appreciated, I've waited 3 yrs for this moment and I really want to play it this Xmas.
Screenshot_20191122_072637 (resized).jpg

IMG_20191122_153401 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_153342 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_153332 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_153325 (resized).jpg
#375 10 months ago

jaywire

Do these help?
20191122_120139 (resized).jpg20191122_120213 (resized).jpg
20191122_121311 (resized).jpg20191122_121311 (resized).jpg

#376 10 months ago

Hammer3246 that is perfect, mate, thanks!

Light at the end of the tunnel...

#377 9 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

First off, thanks for all your help so far! I was able to sort out the issue with the left ramp. The switch that tells the game whether the ramp was up or down wasn't being actuated because it was on the wrong side of the bar that pressed it down. Works well now!
Can anyone snag a quick picture of the outhole switch? Mine is definitely not right and therefore not working correctly. It needs to be resoldered, but I'm not quite sure which lead to use.
Also, will I need to buy non-ghosting LEDs or can I get away with the cheapies?

Hy

I have a similar problem with this ramp.
In test mode no problem, but during game after teletrasport open it stay up. (??)
Under playfield there is 4 microswitch on down ramp.. when I am in test mode and I down with my hand the sistem respond (BANG)e... so now i don't to resolve it. Which you think switch inform the CPU that the ball down in ramp ? (see image)
Any suggestion ? ?

thank you a lot

Ramp (resized).jpg
#378 9 months ago

As some of you may know... I started working on a code update to Data East Star Trek a while ago. My work on this has stopped... I am hoping I can find the time and motivation to finish this update by Winter's end.

Here is a list of changes I have implemented so far. This is still a work in progress. I'd love to hear feedback about this list of changes and any suggestions you may have. Some of the change descriptions might be a little cryptic so let me know if you have any questions.

- Allow Tilt Warning to be set to 0, 1, 2, or 3

- Set Default for Tilt Warnings to 2

- Change SFX when scrolling though Audits and Adjustments

- Fix Restart Game to NOT restart on Ball 3 if Adjustment 50 is NO.

- Make it so game will not reset until Start button is held down for a couple seconds

- Extend pause during Attract Mode Instruction screens

- Extend Attract Mode Instructions to include SHOOT CONSECUTIVE RAMPS FOR MILLIONS

- Reduce pause before playing Live Long And Prosper during Attract Mode and pause at end of this one

- Extend pause for each High Score displayed

- Reduce pause for Custom Message

- Reduce pause for Hook promotion

- Reduce pause during Big Ship Flying so it flies across only once instead of 1.5 times

- Reduce pause at end of Featuring Voices Of

- Extend pause at end of Where No Man Has Gone Before But Remember Winners Don't Do Drugs

- Reduce pause at end of Shield Down

- Reduce pause at end of Special Thanks 1

- Reduce pause at end of Special Thanks 2

- Reduce pause at end of This Game Dedicated To

- Reduce pause just before Match

- Reduce pause between showing Match # and then playing Success/Fail SFX

- Reduce pause so Ship SFX is synchronized with animation during Game Over and add pause after Ship SFX

- Reduce pause after Game Over ship fly by and start of Attract Mode

- Slightly delay laser and explosion to be better synchronized during Match Sequence video

- Adjust EOB Bonus to increase faster and have a higher maximum (per switch: 7,500 --> 15,000. Max: 500,000 --> 2,000,000)

- Add EOB Advance to Sling Shot switches

- Adjust sound during Bonus Multiplier part of EOB to synchronize with animation (clang and door closing swish)

- Make ship SFX play on first past during Ball 1 skill shot

- Remove random starting of Ice Planet modes

- Extend timer of Ice Planet Extra Ball (15 to 20)

- Extend timer of Ice Planet 10 Million (15 to 20)

- Increase switch value on Tribble Trouble from 200K to 500K

- Increase base value of Tribble Trouble from 100,000 to 1,000,000

- Increase Unlimited Millions timer to match manual

- Reward Big Value based on Current Active Ball Time instead of random

- Increase Multiball Jackpot to start at 10M instead of 5M

- Adjust pauses on Shoot Again voice call to better synchronize with video

- Start each ball with Shields On

- Move Entering Initials to run before Match Sequence

- Adjust speed of Skill Shot ship based on Ball #

- Add backspace to Initials via <

- Increase timer for entering High Score Initials from 20 to 30 seconds

- Reduce pause after entering initials into High Score (and Knocker)

- Increase pause when hitting all ships and showing 5M bonus for Video Mode

- Remove Ball Launcher coil from being fired during Video Mode

- Force Success / Fail videos to play during Video Mode

- Do not force the default video during Video Mode so the laser shots and score explosions will now be shown

- Add laser shot animation to Skill Shot Hit

- Add random pause in between Skill Shot Ship passes

- Extend range of Skill Shot Ships so they fly off screen

- Make it so Skill Shot ships have continuous path but Video Mode ships are random

- Insert Shields Up video into Skill Shot start

- Reduce pause during Ball 1 Skill Shot Intro to prevent score from briefly showing between Push Button and Klingon Alert

- Reduce pause during Ball 1 Skill Shot Intro to prevent score from briefly showing between Klingon Alert and Next Screen

- Fix EOB routine to display TOTAL bonus based on Multiplier instead of base bonus

- Remove auto spotting of Crystal at start of each Ball (before Multiball played)

- Change defaults for Adjustment 7 changes around Recall Crystals and Spot Drop Crystals

- Add a random amount to the timer between adding new ship to Video Mode

- Make it so Right Scoop is random and not based on ball time or ball number or games played

- Fix Special so it will actually allow it to happen

- Fix Shields Up from Right Scoop to be 10 seconds and have a SFX at start

- Make it so collecting 8 crystals will say "Transporter at 90% Power, Get The Primary Crystal"

- Make it so Transporter at XX% Power will play at start of each ball

- Add "Get The Primary Crystal" audio/video when hitting Right or Left Return switch when it's active

#379 9 months ago

::bounces up and down in seat like a school kid::

Did you not intend to add a ball save timer? Or did I just miss it in the list?

What about a SDTM timer from the scoop eject option?

#380 9 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

::bounces up and down in seat like a school kid::
Did you not intend to add a ball save timer? Or did I just miss it in the list?

Ball Save timer is there... "Start each ball with Shields On".

Nothing yet for scoop eject.

#381 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Ball Save timer is there... "Start each ball with Shields On".
Nothing yet for scoop eject.

I'd pay money for one that had a 1-2s ball saver for SDTM scoop ejects. That's the one thing that keeps me from playing that game more.

#382 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

As some of you may know... I started working on a code update to Data East Star Trek a while ago. My work on this has stopped... I am hoping I can find the time and motivation to finish this update by Winter's end.
Here is a list of changes I have implemented so far. This is still a work in progress. I'd love to hear feedback about this list of changes and any suggestions you may have. Some of the change descriptions might be a little cryptic so let me know if you have any questions.

This is awesome, I'm really looking forward to it!

#383 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I started working on a code update to Data East Star Trek a while ago.

My man! Thank you so much for your hard work. This is such a great list so far. I agree with the others about the STDM ball saver, though it only happens to me about 5% of the time. This is mostly annoying for me during multiball.

Having two balls in the scoop causes one to go right down the middle. Maybe it activates during multiball if the scoop fires and the outlane switches aren't activated?

Would a series of donations help move this along at all? Thanks again!!

#384 9 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Would a series of donations help move this along at all? Thanks again!!

Ditto!

#385 9 months ago

Since you're firing Photons I figured I'd mount the Enterprise here. It's the Hallmark
2006 edition.
20191202_122051 (resized).jpg

#386 9 months ago

A couple of things I thought about. It would be cool to play a single "red alert" sound for each tilt warning. Also there needs to be some balance with the bonus multipliers. I feel like getting full 10X off the mystery is too much when it takes forever to actually get that many Lanes on the game.

#387 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

- Fix Special so it will actually allow it to happen

Is this the same as this image? The light never activates during game play.

20191204_173001 (resized).jpg
#388 9 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

A couple of things I thought about. It would be cool to play a single "red alert" sound for each tilt warning. Also there needs to be some balance with the bonus multipliers. I feel like getting full 10X off the mystery is too much when it takes forever to actually get that many Lanes on the game.

I agree, it goes from nothing straight to 10x, no middle ground. I also find that the scanner very rarely gives extra ball or multi-ball until ball 3. I know you wouldn't want them offered up too much, I haven't had it for long so maybe its just me and I haven't seen it yet.

#389 9 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Also there needs to be some balance with the bonus multipliers. I feel like getting full 10X off the mystery is too much when it takes forever to actually get that many Lanes on the game.

For Mystery Awards there is an Advance Multiplier and a Max Multiplier. Not sure how to tone back Max Multiplier... other than removing it? Or making it less common to get?

Quoted from Zitt:

Well... I did fix it so the "Shields On" reward is more common and is 10 seconds instead of 8 seconds. I suppose I could make a silent ball save that lasts 2 seconds whenever the ball is ejected from the scoop. I don't think I ever get an STDM from the scoops. It always shoots out the ball very solidly and ends of hitting to the left of the left flipper.

Quoted from Hammer3246:

Is this the same as this image? The light never activates during game play.

Yep, that's it! Special will still be quite rare, however, it will now be possible.

Quoted from Hammer3246:

I also find that the scanner very rarely gives extra ball or multi-ball until ball 3. I know you wouldn't want them offered up too much, I haven't had it for long so maybe its just me and I haven't seen it yet.

In the old code, Multiball will never be offered on Ball 1 or 2 and Extra Ball will never be offered on Ball 1.

I have made it so all the awards are possible on all the balls now.

There is some crazy logic in the original game such as Shields On will only ever possibly be offered if you are on Ball 2 and if more than 50 Games have been played and Average Ball Time is less than 40 seconds. Crazy huh?

#390 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

In the old code, Multiball will never be offered on Ball 1 or 2 and Extra Ball will never be offered on Ball 1.
I have made it so all the awards are possible on all the balls now.
There is some crazy logic in the original game such as Shields On will only ever possibly be offered if you are on Ball 2 and if more than 50 Games have been played and Average Ball Time is less than 40 seconds. Crazy huh?

Yeah, that is crazy!

#391 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yep, that's it! Special will still be quite rare, however, it will now be possible.

I thought it was my game... I NEVER see that light lit. Thought it was just bad - but haven't taken the time to debug it.

#392 9 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I thought it was my game... I NEVER see that light lit. Thought it was just bad - but haven't taken the time to debug it.

Mine works like a charm, just not while playing.

#393 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I suppose I could make a silent ball save that lasts 2 seconds whenever the ball is ejected from the scoop.

This is a great idea. My scoop functions just like yours 95% of the time, but I have seen many people complain about a scoop drain.

Quoted from ChadH:

Shields On will only ever possibly be offered if you are on Ball 2 and if more than 50 Games have been played and Average Ball Time is less than 40 seconds.

Hahaha that's ridiculous.

Quoted from ChadH:

For Mystery Awards there is an Advance Multiplier and a Max Multiplier. Not sure how to tone back Max Multiplier... other than removing it? Or making it less common to get?

Maybe increase chances of Advance Multiplier? Seems reasonable considering how infrequently the ball goes to the top lanes.

#394 9 months ago

While we are on the topic of Right Scoop awards, here are all the ones coded in the original game:

Extra Ball Lit
Special Lit (PRACTICALLY NEVER)
Left Ice Planet - Extra Ball
Right Ice Planet - 10 Million
Laser Kick
Transport Now - Multiball
Unlimited Millions
Video Mode
Max Bonus Multiplier
Tribble Trouble
Super Bumpers
Shields On (PRACTICALLY NEVER)
Lite Crystal (NEVER)
1 Million or 2 Million
Advance Bonus Multiplier
Mystery Score 200,000 - 500,000

One thing that frustrates be about this game is that some playfields have "Lite Crystals" and some have "Lite Scanners" for the Left Scoop label. Mine has "Lite Scanners"

I wish that all games had the SAME playfield text! It's hard to code for something when there are two versions out there.

I would prefer if the Left Scoop on all games said "Lite Scanners". This would be perfect since I could then code it so the Right Scoop (Scanner) is active at the start of each ball and once you collect it, you have to re-activate it via the Left Scoop (Lite Scanners). And if you enter the Right Scoop without it being lit then you would just receive the Mystery Score.

Some Left Scoops having "Lite Crystals" is not as satisfying since it's pretty easy to lite the Crystals via normal shots. Many just lite up without even having to think about them!

What do you guys think about that? Would you like it if the Left Scoop was treated as if all games were labeled "Lite Scanners"? And if your game doesn't say "Lite Scanners" then maybe someone could come up with a Lite Scanners decal for those who wanted one.

#395 9 months ago

The lower targets for Crystals 7 and 8 I find difficult to hit on my own, so I don't mind it the way it is. Its really whatever is easiest for you.

I've yet to see laser kick show up. Is there something special required for that one?

#396 9 months ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

I've yet to see laser kick show up. Is there something special required for that one?

Yep! This is, again, one of those odd ones. Laser Kick will only ever be offered if more than 50 games have been played and Average Ball Time is less than 40 seconds.

#397 9 months ago

Hey guys,

Working on a friends ST, and a capacitor puked on the sound board. My question concerns the ferrite beads used on the board. I haven't been able to find a rating on those in the manual. Does anybody know what's used?

#398 9 months ago

Here's a quick video showing the changes made to end of game sequence. The timing is more streamlined and the audio is better synchronized with the video.

#399 9 months ago

Looks super!

How difficult would it be to have the Red Alert animation then Battle Stations before shooting ships in video mode?

#400 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

What do you guys think about that? Would you like it if the Left Scoop was treated as if all games were labeled "Lite Scanners"? And if your game doesn't say "Lite Scanners" then maybe someone could come up with a Lite Scanners decal for those who wanted one.

No.
Let me say this... I want the text to match the pf. If it's scanners it should say scanners. If it's crystals; it should say crystals.
It would bug me to no end (now that you pointed it out) if the dmd said one thing and the PF said another.

How hard is it to code both and have an option to set which to display?

That said; I'm pretty damn sure Scotty says "Crystals." So everything should say Crystals.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 23.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 275.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, GA
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
There are 599 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside