You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_001499.jpg
WP_001496.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi All!

I'm in need of some help in 2 areas on my Star Trek that I'm trying to bring back to life. 1st - Transporter Ramp. During diagnostics, the 2 coils that power the ramp work great. Ramp Up / Ramp down.... no problem. During gameplay, when urged to 'Shoot for the transporter!", the ramp dutifully shoots up! Once the shot is made and multiball happens, the ramp doesn't go down again. In fact, once it's up, the game never tries to bring it down again, even when ending and starting new games. At a new game, the Star Trek drop targets reset themselves as they should, but the ramp never seems to reset.

The backglass transporter exhibits somewhat similar behavior, once it's started, it doesn't like to stop, even after the game ends.

I should add that I'm running the latest roms, and I just checked switch 28, which is the upper playfield / transporter hole, and it seems to be working okay. I did check by running pinballs through it.

Played a game with the glass off to simulate, and hit the transporter jackpot, kept it going until I hit enough that I saw it 'raise' the transporter again (it had never went down). So it was expecting it to be in the down position.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks!

Glenn

Post edited by worldofglenn : added more recent info

#2 11 years ago

Hi.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I had a similar issue with an insert lamp once, where it worked in test, but not in game play. Turned out to be the transistor. Have you checked the transistor on the release coil for the up/down ramp?

As for the transporter, sounds like a switch problem. Perhaps one of those two switches isn't registering to tell it that it has cycled?

Aaron

#3 11 years ago

or it could be that moving target (primary crystal) when I start multi ball the ramp stays up, it says shoot primary crystal, then shoot transporter, then it goes down to make a ramp.. you have to hit primary crystal again to lift the ramp to shoot the transporter again... you might try it with the glass off... I might be misunderstanding were it is in the game when it's not working... you have to hit the primary crystal during multiball to get the "shoot the transporter... if your moving target switch doesn't register at shoot the crystal it won't tell you to shoot the transporter... the ramp will not go down until after you shoot transporter... so it says shoot the primary crystal (in multiball mode) shoot the crystal then it says shoot the transporter, once you shoot it, the ramp drops.... it will not raise again until it says shoot the crystal, and you do...

#4 11 years ago

I think I confused myself... do you get it to tell you to shoot the crytal, and when you do does it tell you to shoot the transporter?
I should have started there... lol

#5 11 years ago

Once the crystal is shot, then I'm vehemently told to 'Shoot the Transporter!' In looking over the schematic, it seems like the ramp has a dependency on a TIP36C transistor (Q2 I think), which looks massive! Do they even make those anymore?

WP_001496.jpgWP_001496.jpg

#6 11 years ago

TIP 122 placed between two TIP36C's for comparison. The TIP 122 is about half to 1/3 of the size. I can see some TIP 36C's at great plains, but I can't get a feel for the size. Maybe that's throwing me off and a TIP36C made 30 years ago the the TIP36C today are the same and I should just order a few and stop sweating it

WP_001499.jpgWP_001499.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. Got a lot going on personally. All good, but making it hard to get back to this. But, happy to help.

Couple of things. Yes, you can still get 36c's, and they are bigger by nature than a 122 as they can handle a lot more power I think. See below links. Odd that they'd use this to drive a small release coil though... I'd have to check my schematics to verify which one it is on the MPU, but you might be right.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/TIP36C
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=184

Not a bad idea to have one or two on hand, as I know I've blown one before on my Trek. BUT FIRST, let's check the easy stuff. If you havn't yet, check the continuity on the two wires going from the backbox to the release coil with a DMM. Just to make sure the wires are still good. Also check they are both seated well in those IDC connectors. Not a bad idea to re-seat them in there. I recently had a coil go out on my Pirates because the wire broke inside the sheathing. Now it took out the associated transistor on mine as well, but yours might not have.

Also, check the switch that the up/down ramp triggers (I think there's one there). There's a possibility that the center crystal triggers the MPU to just activate the up coil regardless, and then the machine doesn't know to activate the release coil because the switch isn't registering that the ramp is up. Note: I'm no expert on this and often trouble shoot and just replace things until I nail it, but, this all sounds good doesn't it?

#8 11 years ago

if the ramp works in the diagnostics mode that would rule out the fet wouldn't it?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

if the ramp works in the diagnostics mode that would rule out the fet wouldn't it?

"fet"? Boba Fet? Just kidding. I had forgotten that it worked in diagnostic mode. Good catch. I'm kind of thinking that might rule out the transistor then. Obviously the MPU can switch the release coil on and off, right? Unless it's a "fail under pressure/load" issue. I guess it depends on how the diagnostics work then. Pretty sure that coil tests ignor switches. So, perhaps it is the switch then. Ramp goes up and down in test because the coils individualy work fine, but not in game play because the game doesn't know it's up??? And of course I forgot to look at my game last night when I got home...

8 years later
#10 3 years ago

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring back this very old thread, but I have the exact same issue. I’m a noob here, first pinball for me (I got it 1 week ago), so please can you help me solve this issue, maybe with some basic explanations?

Just to recap: in diagnostic mode the ramp goes up and down correctly. In game mode, when it lift it will not goes down anymore, even between games.

Can you help me? Thanks really a lot, and I’m very happy to be a part of this community

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Redeemer666:

Hi guys,
Sorry to bring back this very old thread, but I have the exact same issue. I’m a noob here, first pinball for me (I got it 1 week ago), so please can you help me solve this issue, maybe with some basic explanations?
Just to recap: in diagnostic mode the ramp goes up and down correctly. In game mode, when it lift it will not goes down anymore, even between games.
Can you help me? Thanks really a lot, and I’m very happy to be a part of this community

This thread is 8 years old so you prolly wont see much help here. Try asking on the club page, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-data-east-club, or start a new thread.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

This thread is 8 years old so you prolly wont see much help here. Try asking on the club page, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-data-east-club, or start a new thread.

Thank you @spitfiren8, just solved it. The switch on the coil that moves the ramp had the metal “tongue” misplaced and it was not triggering when the ramp was up. Thanks for pointing me out to the correct forum thread anyway.

Take care

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-anniversary-ramptransporter-behavior and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.