• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by morphis72
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello All,

I am fairly new to fixing arcade games and pins so please forgive me if I am asking questions from an entry level point of view. Recently I decided it was time to upgrade my Star Trek which had a badly worn play field and half of the bulbs out on it. I swapped out the play field and replaced all of the bulbs with LEDs. The game played great after this execpt for the annoying flicker that comes with LED's in these older games. But, after ordering and install the lamp driver board from AllTec the flicker issue was resolved and life was good. Then it just quit working on me with only the tiny quick flicker on the LED at power up. So, I started looking over the MPU for issues. I thought that perhaps the connectors on the board had been tugged on too hard when I was swapping everything out so I re-soldered all for of them. For good (or in this case bad) measure I pulled all the EPROMs and re-seated them. When I did this (one of the sockets was installed backwards) I accidentally put the U2 chip in backwards. So,I borrowed a burner and found that the original chip was toast. I created a new U2 chip and installed properly this time. Then tested all the voltage points. I found one that was supposed to read 22 or maybe it was 24 was reading 0. checked my fuses and found one blown. Replaced the fuse and now my board boots! It goes through all 7 blinks and then goes off. After the seventh blink there is one blip of sound and the lights flicker for little but stay on. Then nothing... I put the old lamp driver board back in to test and got the same behavior. I double check the other fuses and found them to be good. The game will not enter diagnostics mode at all. The lamps all seem to work except the feature lamps vary on how man are on once it freeze up. The score lights don't come on. I am stumped here. Anyone got a suggestion for where I go next?

Many thanks for any help!

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from morphis72:

The game will not enter diagnostics mode at all. The lamps all seem to work except the feature lamps vary on how man are on once it freeze up. The score lights don't come on.

Are you saying that instead of going into attract mode, all controlled lamps are staying lit?

#3 9 years ago

Man... this post was very familar to me. Almost the exact same issue a month ago:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/8#postbox

I chased the MPU problem for a while. Re-check the chips you pulled.
Also if you just replaced U2 and you couldn't read the original U2... how did you know you matched the version numbers of the ROM chips. They all need to be the same revision.
My advice is baring any bent pins on the ics; you need to program all the game roms to the same version.

#4 9 years ago

Go to Pinwiki ! Lots of info there .

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Are you saying that instead of going into attract mode, all controlled lamps are staying lit?

All of the main lights stay on. The feature (I think that's the right term) lights are different. About half or so of them seem to stay on. sometimes more, sometimes less. But the ones that are always on in game play are all on.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Man... this post was very familar to me. Almost the exact same issue a month ago:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/8#postbox
Also if you just replaced U2 and you couldn't read the original U2... how did you know you matched the version numbers of the ROM chips. They all need to be the same revision.
My advice is baring any bent pins on the ics; you need to program all the game roms to the same version.

That's a good question. I do get all seven flashes which I thought meant I was good to go but I don't know if the ROMs are different versions. I assumed there was only one version out there. I have seen hacked versions for free play but this wasn't that version.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Go to Pinwiki ! Lots of info there .

Thanks, I will go check it out.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

So, I pulled the U6 chip and replaced it with an image from the same zip file that I reprogramed the U2 chip with. No behavior change.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-1979-mpu-boots-then-nothing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.