You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rollover4.jpg
rollover3.jpg
rollover2.jpg
rollover1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cruzin1a.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

The right star rollover on my Surf Champ is broken. This causes the white popup to come up above more than it should sometimes. So I've read some playfield restoration write ups here, very good write ups. On a recent order to PBR I bought 5 new stars and inserts.I have a question concerning the process and the adhesive used to secure them.

1. Removeing the old ones
- I've read a little heat from a blow dryer applied from the bottom of the playfield can help.
- There may be a clear coat on the playfield. Scoring around that insert is needed to insure when it comes out it doesn't chip the clear or lift the paint or part of the playfield. I am a little apprehensive about using an exact-o knife around the playfield.
- I've read to use a socket that fits snuggly in the hole to apply an even pressure when lightly tapping it out.

2. Installing the new ones
- Prep is very important. removing all of the old adhesive. then a light sand on the edge of the insert and an application of plastic prep so the new adhesive has a good bond to the plastic.
- Now to the adhesive and my concern. I've read that a two part type epoxy is used. That sounds like a permanent step. For a standard insert that would make sense. But, is that good for something like the star rollover that might need to be replaced again?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

rollover1.jpgrollover1.jpg rollover2.jpgrollover2.jpg
#6 10 years ago

One out clean. Four to go

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from slawnski:

On my Surf champ- I only had to replace the star- vid1900 is right- if that's all it is this is a simpler fix- worth it to swap that out first and see-

Unfortunately it's the tabs on the right insert that broke off, alloying the star to pop up too high. Plus they're dirty and a few of of the bulb sockets are flaky. I hate it when a feature lamp doesn't work right. So I am replacing the bulb sockets too. They should look nice when done.

#9 10 years ago

All five removed. You can see the broken tabs on the right most insert and the one next to it.

rollover3.jpgrollover3.jpg

#10 10 years ago

New rollovers, new bulb sockets and the switches adjusted properly. The rollovers were snug but with a little heat and a few very light taps on the socket they came right out. A few drops of the extended time super glue. The fit was nice and snug as mentioned so I think they'll be fine. Thanks for all the great tips

rollover4.jpgrollover4.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cruzin1a.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-replacement?tu=Cruzin1a and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.