• Latest reply 6 years ago by kiario
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi.

I am uncertain about one thing.
Regarding the star rollover assembly.
Are they supposed to be complete flush/level with the playfield when pressed down?

When i press mine down they are slightly above the playfield. This results in the ball jumping a little when rolling over the stars.

Mine are clean but the stars dont go all the way down so that they are completely flush with playfield

#2 6 years ago

It should be flush and trigger the switch with little pressure. Adjust you leaf switch by rolling a ball not your finger.

#3 6 years ago

Its not the leaf switch that is stoping the star to be flush, its bottoming out in the insert and can therefore not be completely flush with playfield.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from kiario:

Its not the leaf switch that is stoping the star to be flush, its bottoming out in the insert and can therefore not be completely flush with playfield.

The star rollovers are all the same as far as I know. I have some used and some new ones in my drawer. They all measure .250.

Measure you insert hole in the play field for depth of at least .250.

If a star came out of that hole another one should go in. You might have to set it with a block of wood because that are tight.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from kiario:

Has the playfield been clearcoated, or is it a CPR?

It's possible that somebody did not cover the hole and now a buildup of clear is preventing the star from being flush when depressed.

#6 6 years ago

Yes i clearcoated it. But i inserted the old stars up side down prior to clear coat. There is no clear in the insert. I found my old stars and they look different than the new ones i bought. I think that the new ones are different design and will not go all the way down. Will try the old ones after they have been cleaned of the clear.
Thanks for the tips.
Br Anders

#7 6 years ago

You're correct. The new double star rollover inserts have a thicker stem than the originals. Maybe this will help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-star-double-star-rollover-inserts-moving-part

#8 6 years ago

I have this same problem on my Dungeons & Dragons.... ball gets stuck in the left star rollover. I have replaced the star with a new one, and it does go down easy. Mine actually seems like the ball gets stuck in the "fork" of the two of the prongs of the star. Still not sure what the fix is.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I have this same problem on my Dungeons & Dragons.... ball gets stuck in the left star rollover. I have replaced the star with a new one, and it does go down easy. Mine actually seems like the ball gets stuck in the "fork" of the two of the prongs of the star. Still not sure what the fix is.

Reform the switch blade that presses up on the stem so that it just barely pushes the star back up to 'home'.

#10 6 years ago

Hi, my problem is not that the star is stuck in the insert when pressed down but instead that it is not exactly flush with the insert/ playfield when it is pressed down.

I just rechecked again and I even drilled a little on the insert but the stem of the star where it is joining to the star is hitting the insert sleeve before the star tip is below or totally flush with the insert.

There is no clear blocking.

I guess this is by design because there is no way it can be flush without some rework of the star or insert.

Its just that if it is not totally flush the ball will jump slightly instead of rolling over the star without going airborne a millimeter or so.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from kiario:

Hi, my problem is not that the star is stuck in the insert when pressed down but instead that it is not exactly flush with the insert/ playfield when it is pressed down.
I just rechecked again and I even drilled a little on the insert but the stem of the star where it is joining to the star is hitting the insert sleeve before the star tip is below or totally flush with the insert.
I guess this is by design because there is no way it can be flush without some rework of the star or insert.
Its just that if it is not totally flush the ball will jump slightly instead of rolling over the star without going airborne a millimeter or so.

Measure how high the old one protrudes above the insert.

Sand down a new star that amount.

Replace old star with lower profile new one. (cut the center rod off the old one, don't try to reuse it.)

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from kiario:

That is definitely not right.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Measure how high the old one protrudes above the insert.
Sand down a new star that amount.
Replace old star with lower profile new one. (cut the center rod off the old one, don't try to reuse it.)

Good idea. Have to remove them again. I think have have fitted and removed them like 10 times now for this issue. Getting good at it
The old original star has the same measurements as the new one so the issue must have been there from the beginning.
Now, the amount it protrudes is not much maybe 0.5 - 1 mm. I guess it does not matter really since the ball is jumping lot of time anyway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-flush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.