(Topic ID: 180179)

Star rollover fix... "the bladecap"

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4851 (resized).JPG
    1ispd7 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4850 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4849 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4848 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4847 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4846 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4845 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4840 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4839 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

A new quick fix for a horrible old problem...

Step 1: Curse loudly after breaking off an insert fin or two.

IMG_4839 (resized).JPGIMG_4839 (resized).JPG

Step 2: Locate nearest T-rubber and contemplate the possibilities.

IMG_4840 (resized).JPGIMG_4840 (resized).JPG

Step 3: Use a fresh Xacto knife to cut it to the exact length of the star nib.

IMG_4846 (resized).JPGIMG_4846 (resized).JPG

IMG_4845 (resized).JPGIMG_4845 (resized).JPG

Step 4: Superglue the rubber to the underside of the switch blade. Look through the hole and center it on the wear mark.

IMG_4848 (resized).JPGIMG_4848 (resized).JPG

IMG_4847 (resized).JPGIMG_4847 (resized).JPG

Step 5: As long as at least one insert fin remains, the star's movement will remain centered.

IMG_4849 (resized).JPGIMG_4849 (resized).JPG

Step 6: Be more careful next time.

#2 7 years ago

if your pf isn't clear coated you can pop out the star insert real easy and tap in a new on
    but if it does have clear this fix looks like it will help with a broken fin.
    i'll add it to my "tool box" of fixes thanks

#3 7 years ago

Yep... PF was just cleared & didn't want to Xacto cut out the insert and replace and touch up again.

#4 7 years ago

I like the custom extra lighting to the rollover. They've always been a little too dark for me.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yep... PF was just cleared & didn't want to Xacto cut out the insert and replace and touch up again.

i used a small zip tie around the fin legs. it holds it fine but your fix might be better. i will have to try it to be sure

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from SYS6:

I like the custom extra lighting to the rollover. They've always been a little too dark for me.

Agreed... don't like shadowy stars. I always double-light stars and kickouts.

Pictured is Comet's 1SMD non-ghosting red frosted LED. Looks great and no visible filaments through the star.

IMG_4850 (resized).JPGIMG_4850 (resized).JPG

Kickouts... going with bulbs here.

IMG_4851 (resized).JPGIMG_4851 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Agreed... don't like shadowy stars. I always double-light stars and kickouts.
    Pictured is Comet's 1SMD non-ghosting red frosted LED. Looks great and no visible filaments through the star.

1ispd7 (resized).jpg1ispd7 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

This is a great fix, thanks for sharing!

- TimMe

#9 7 years ago

It sure beats the alternative-Convert it to a gobble hole!

#10 7 years ago

Great work around Nico!
    Thanks for the tip.

#11 7 years ago

Nice tip, might try this on my Top Card that has an HSA playfield in it and unfortunately several stars with the broken tabs due to the clear coat/filing issues. I have an alternative fix but this might work better.

#12 7 years ago

Great work! those tabs are really brittle on the late 70's early 80's pf's

1 year later
    #13 6 years ago

BTW... a future version of this fix would involve enlarging the hole in the switch blade so that the star tip would pass through, then securing it in place with a thick E-clip type retainer. Seems like it would be longer lasting but haven't had a chance to implement it yet.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

BTW... a future version of this fix would involve enlarging the hole in the switch blade so that the star tip would pass through, then securing it in place with a thick E-clip type retainer. Seems like it would be longer lasting but haven't had a chance to implement it yet.

Put up some pics when you do it Nick. Heck the process from beginning to end.

#15 6 years ago

Nice repair method. I'll need to try it.

From the "be more careful next time" camp, I don't even try to pop them out anymore.

At $1.00 each I bought a goodly supply to have on hand. Now I just consider them as disposable tools, cut the tit off the shaft and replace with a new star. Safety first.

#16 6 years ago

Home Depot sells nylon standoffs, may work a little better than the rubber piece

(And the moral of the story: if you are going to cc a pf, replace these 40 yr old plastic star inserts. i bought a NOS Far Out pf off of ebay, had it cc'd due to insert cupping only to have the star rollover fail a couple of months later.)

#17 6 years ago

Oh yea, Nick has new digs, congrats!!

2 years later
    #18 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing this tip I will need to do this!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-fix-the-bladecap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.