• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

STAR RACE 1980 purchase opinions

Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to purchase a Gottlieb system 80 Star Race. Looking for the communities opinions on whether this is a good purchase for a first time pinball owner.

Do the system 80s require constant attention?

Are there dependable service guys supporting the local Toronto area?

Pros:

Rare game as only 870 were produced.

Classic 80s feel.

Cons:

Only 870 produced so parts may be hard to come by especially the parts unique to this game.

I have novice soldering experience.

My knowledge of arcade machines extends as far as joystick and button modifications.

#2 4 years ago

My brother is picking one up next week. Which means I am going to have some work to do fixing it.

My brother and I both started on 90's machines. They usually are a little deeper in rule sets etc...

80's games are fun. I did not know anything about repairing pinball machines and I am still learning. But if you put in time researching you can get pretty good at repairing and diagnosing problems.

Do the system 80s require constant attention? Well it is pinball, things seem to always be going wrong. That is part of the fun and frustration.

#3 4 years ago

Get it cheap and learn about fixing pins through it. It's a great first pin.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Ezryel:

Do the system 80s require constant attention?

Once properly refurbished and bulletproofed, no more than any other game system.

Quoted from Ezryel:

Only 870 produced so parts may be hard to come by especially the parts unique to this game.

Most are common Gottlieb boards and parts. The only really rare/unique things are the lockbar, playfield, plastics (but those are available), and backglass.

It's a single level playfield, so it's fairly easy to work on.

The main challenge is dealing with how big the game actually is--it's a extra wide body game. Transporting it and finding space to set it up can sometimes be an issue.

#5 4 years ago

As ForceFlow said so long as you do ground mods etc. the pin will be as solid as any other. The game can be very fun provided you set it up properly. I have had mine over 15yrs and still play it most every day.

#6 4 years ago

Be sure to post pics of the game in the "Eighties Respect" thread so we can see your baby.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Be sure to post pics of the game in the "Eighties Respect" thread so we can see your baby.

What thread is that exactly RWH? Did a quick search but did not find it.

#8 4 years ago

80's Respect Thread. I just bumped it up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-race-first-time-owner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.