Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by BlownXstr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F9FACA85-AAA3-4AD2-BC09-453D40738377 (resized).jpeg
92A0DECC-5FA6-471C-A519-7009493007C3 (resized).jpeg
6709B430-599C-4E89-9F29-92333AB97B54 (resized).jpeg
517FB238-C2A0-40CB-B643-2944B619E1D4 (resized).jpeg

#1 5 months ago

I recently purchased a Gottlieb Star Race pinball machine. It is not in working order. My brother and I started going through the machine and found that I am missing a chip on one of the boards. I believe it is a 40 pin spider chip TC1. What I’m wondering if these are just a generic chip or is there a specific numbered one I need to purchase. Pictures for reference. Thank you.

517FB238-C2A0-40CB-B643-2944B619E1D4 (resized).jpeg6709B430-599C-4E89-9F29-92333AB97B54 (resized).jpeg92A0DECC-5FA6-471C-A519-7009493007C3 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 months ago

That top chip isn't usually necessary, it's used for attaching test instruments and the optional reset board.

#3 5 months ago

Congrats on your first Gottlieb. These are very different to work on than the other games in your collection. I’m sure it will be an adventure. I love the old Gottliebs.

#4 5 months ago

Checked both my Star Race and Circus boards and neither have the chip. Listen these pins can be and are as rock solid as any (barring Pascal) so long as you do the recommended mods.

#5 5 months ago

I’m just trying to figure out why it is not working and it seemed that a missing chip might be the problem. I’m not very electrical savvy. So I’m not even sure what the chip does.

#6 5 months ago

It's not a chip, it's just a connector, and a chip socket was a handy way to design it

#7 5 months ago

What’s not working? I have a star race but by no means am no expert on sys80, I am lucky enough to pin-sit a star race that used to belong to the king of sys80 repair Steve Charland. I can take pics if needed though. But what’s going on with it?

#8 5 months ago

The back box lights turn on. The bulb between the flippers work and the sound comes on for about two seconds intermittently. I checked the test spots on the power board and they seem good the fuses are good. Not sure of what to search for next.

#9 5 months ago

It sounds like your MPU is not booting. You may need to rebuild the connectors. But first things first, you have some testing to do.

This will get you started.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

2 weeks later
#10 4 months ago

New driver board and new mpu board. Still not working.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from KentCO:

New driver board and new mpu board. Still not working.

What is it doing now? Have you done anything with your edge connectors? There is a kill switch on the coin door that is always problematic. Please report back. Gottlieb(s) are a very different beast.

#12 4 months ago

All the lights are working. The sound byte comes on about every three minutes and does a short two second loop. The pop up coil hits. Where is the kill switch on the coin door. I have a problem that the coin door doesn’t completely shut all the way sometimes. I have to get a new locking mechanism.

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from KentCO:

All the lights are working. The sound byte comes on about every three minutes and does a short two second loop. The pop up coil hits. Where is the kill switch on the coin door. I have a problem that the coin door doesn’t completely shut all the way sometimes. I have to get a new locking mechanism.

There is a switch on the coin door and I believe one on the bottom of the playfield that needs to be working correctly in order for the game to boot. The door switch on Gottlieb pins is normally closed which is the opposite of the other manufacturers of the time. Clean the heck out of the door switch contacts and test it with your meter to make sure it is working. I also can’t stress enough how important those edge connector pins are. The pins are shot after a couple dozen uses. My guess is your problem is one or the other (possibly both). How is your power supply? Do you know it it is producing all the correct voltages?
F9FACA85-AAA3-4AD2-BC09-453D40738377 (resized).jpeg

#14 4 months ago

Power supply checks out. All the rest points are dead on.

#15 4 months ago

Are your displays doing anything when powered on?

#16 4 months ago

Yes. I believe the top right corner one is reading zeroes.

#17 4 months ago

You’re close to booting then. It is the kill switch or the edge connector pins. Also make sure you have a pinball in the game.

#18 4 months ago

Thank you I will look into them.

#19 4 months ago

Order the manual from Steve at Pinball Resource and start the proper learning process.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
$ 289.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.00
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 109.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside