Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0602 (resized).jpeg
#1 50 days ago

I put a new hardtop on my Eight Ball Deluxe, but I’m not sure why the hole for the special was smaller than the rollover button? Any advice on how to fix this or make it work better. The rollover button barely moves enough to trigger the special button because it under the hardtop and the hole is much smaller than the star rollover button. I’m not exactly sure why they made the hole smaller, but I’m hoping I didn’t mess it up myself. Ideas appreciated.

IMG_0602 (resized).jpegIMG_0602 (resized).jpegIMG_0605 (resized).jpegIMG_0605 (resized).jpeg
#2 50 days ago

You need to remove the rollover insert.
Then sand, Dremmel, or router the Hardtop edges even with the playfield hole.
Then reinstall (or install new) (using epoxy glue) the insert, level with the top of the Hardtop.

It's a bit scary the first time you do it, but not bad overall.

#3 50 days ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You need to remove the rollover insert.
Then sand, Dremmel, or router the Hardtop edges even with the playfield hole.
Then reinstall (or install new) (using epoxy glue) the insert, level with the top of the Hardtop.
It's a bit scary the first time you do it, but not bad overall.

Not sure why they would have done it like that? I figured they knew what they were doing so I thought that’s how it went on… this isn’t going to be fun. I’m almost tempted to 3D print a new insert that would work, before I cut on it but I’d rather do it the right way. I think my only hope is if I come up thru the bottom. I wish I hadn’t left the star post installed. It would have been far easier.

#4 50 days ago

They do know what they are doing. They had to do it that way since the location of star inserts (and everything else) varies a little bit between playfields for the same game. And also because the Hardtop does have some thickness to it. It's not hard. Here's Vid's description of the procedure:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-hardtop-install-vid-s-guide#post-5910357

I didn't sand the new inserts like Vid does and it was fine, so your mileage may vary.

#5 50 days ago

You could probably put an MRS there and leave it.
That's how I'd approach this.

#6 50 days ago

As others have said this is done because of small variances in playfields and there's no way they'd get it accurate with slightly different cuts. Is the hardtop already installed? If not, heat up that rollover and pop it out and then dremel and reinstall a new one at the correct level. It's actually not bad and works out well. If it's been adhered, you'll probably need to bust out the old rollover and remove it from the bottom which will be a pain, dremel it out and reinstall a new rollover.

#7 50 days ago

And you call yourself a pinballGuru

#8 49 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

You could probably put an MRS there and leave it.
That's how I'd approach this.

We agree

#9 49 days ago

At this point you pretty much have to go this route. You csnt leave that rollover in there like that; ghetto city sweetheart.

#10 49 days ago

Done! Thanks for the advice everyone. Always a way to do it.

IMG_0618 (resized).jpegIMG_0618 (resized).jpegIMG_0621 (resized).jpegIMG_0621 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.