7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have never used any of these products, but thinking about adding them to a few games that are darker as some supplemental lighting. The PDI ones look cool since they fit totally under the star posts whereas the other two appear fairly visible. However, the PDI ones are $13 each, which is several times more expensive than the other two versions.

How noticeable are the little LED boards on the other two and are PDI really worth that much more?

Not everyone has all colors, but in the similar colors, do all brands put out a similar light?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 7 years ago

I have used, and tested all 3.

I see slight variations in brightness. but sometimes its more the voltage and the star post construction.

Ive done games with all new star posts, and a few looked off....it was the plastic in the star post itself.

I know Comet, and PDI, I believe Cointaker and others will all light with 6.3V and 12V from flasher.

I find PDI well constructed, slightly better than the others, but one needs to look at cost, solder, and labor.

I know I made Comets to work with Matrix, so 3 Posts in a sling can be wired above or below, direct, or with a plug and play Matrix
    Bulb and connector.

While a few games have 20+ Stare Posts, and Aardvark shared a beautiful BSD with all posts lit, I have found just doing slings,
    and those in the lower playfield line of sight were most noticeable.

By the 100, they are $1.99 at Comet, and Other then red, I have been using white or warm white mostly to light blue, purple, etc....
    a White light can light almost all posts pretty well, and Ive used extras as spot lights, back box, outhole, pretty much anywhere with matrix. They are flat and hidden easily.

The smaller rings do fit inside the post, from PBL, and PDI? One needs to cut a notch in the post, but the diodes, and light ouput on these are about 30% or so less than the others....

Hope this is of help....

#3 7 years ago

Listen to Oldpinguy,Art is always way on top!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-post-leds-comet-pinball-decals-or-pinball-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.